[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Let the Donovan to NY chatter officially begin
Author Thread
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

4/9/2024  12:21 AM
joec32033 wrote:I tried on trade machine but I couldn't get it to work is there a way to three way Donovan to Brooklyn, Mikal to NY and picks and other goodies to Cleveland?

A lot of trade machines stop working this time of year because it's past the trade deadline. The key point is to more or less matchup salaries going in and out.

A possible framework could be:

Knicks guarantee Bojan Bogdanovic
Knicks trade BB to Cleveland (20m out) (23m in)
Nets trade Mikal to NY, DFS to Cleveland (37m out) (35m in)
Cleveland trades DM to Brooklyn (35m out)(35m in)

That gets you pretty close, enough to at least just add a minimum salary guy or two. Obviously the Knicks would have to give up a bunch of picks to make that happen. BKN too. 4 seeds don't usually go for a rebuild, so I don't see it as too likely. It probably makes more sense for NY to just trade BB for Mikal straight up and attach a bunch of picks.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/9/2024  12:31 AM
joec32033 wrote:I tried on trade machine but I couldn't get it to work is there a way to three way Donovan to Brooklyn, Mikal to NY and picks and other goodies to Cleveland?

Knicks are hard capped for this season so trying right now would be tough. Have to wait to draft time for it to work.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
4/9/2024  9:36 AM
martin wrote:

Knicks are hard capped for this season so trying right now would be tough. Have to wait to draft time for it to work.

Sorry. Not Sorry. You can switch to the 2024-2025 season and put it on "arcade mode" to drop the trade restrictions due to timing.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/manage/

That said, there is virtually no trade that makes sense for Cleveland to trade Mitchell and let anyone other than Cleveland get Bridges. Cleveland is "all in" so picks do nothing for them. But, if I am Mitchell, why am I going to Brooklyn if Bridges is leaving?

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
4/9/2024  10:05 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

Sorry. Not Sorry. You can switch to the 2024-2025 season and put it on "arcade mode" to drop the trade restrictions due to timing.

That said, there is virtually no trade that makes sense for Cleveland to trade Mitchell and let anyone other than Cleveland get Bridges. Cleveland is "all in" so picks do nothing for them. But, if I am Mitchell, why am I going to Brooklyn if Bridges is leaving?

Oh, I love this, didn't know about it thanks.

Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
4/9/2024  10:32 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

The Cavs are all in now because they have Mitch. Have you seen how bad they are without him? They won't be all in if they trade him. He will also have more leverage the closer it gets to his free agency. The problem is he is too nice to use his leverage. I doubt we get him but the Cavs probably won't be all in after a trade and who will trade them another star without a primise of him re-signing with him when his contract is up? It all depends on how he chooses to use his leverage.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/9/2024  10:32 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

Mitchell with some good wings in BKN is ok, and he gets his max money and is in NYC. He won't contend right away but we assume that all players are hung up on "legacy". Not that they want to see themselves as "Loser", but Legacy also is creating a multigenerational wealth and perhaps create an education legacy for many in his family and outside.
Lebrons legacy is one thing on the court. We can argue all day is he or Jordan the GOAT vs. Career, Vs. chips etc.
Lebron funds schools and perhaps takes great pride in the lives he has impacted and lifted up and those kids futures.
Lebron is more transparent in his philanthropic work. Kyries legacy on the court is as flaky player but his foudnation does nice things and perhaps at the end of the day some players see this wealth as a life time ability to further causes. Jordan is not so transparent and is often viewed as just a GOAT who has sociopathic drive to win and compete. He values his privacy so perhaps his generosity is not as well known.

Im sure Mitchell wants to win. No player says othewise or gets marketed as a loser or just "nice guy".
Someone one day will elevate nets and create a fan base of some sorts. While Knicks might be his preferred team based on what can be left to win with after a trade on paper we really don't know what this dude is about. He does carry some leverage to where he will sign but carries risk to have that freedom. He blows his knee out he might not have that winning legacy but he'd have the rest of his life to build on something if he so chooses with enormous wealth. For that matter he might just be an ordinary dude who wants creature comforts and not concerned with elevating a cause.

Clev might find a really good situation with Mikal and say two picks for Mitchell (need more salary). That might enhance Garland to player more naturally and they get a wing defender as good as any. Clev would have to resign him also but that not a bad situation for either. That makes more sense on the surface than what Knicks might want to part with.
We got picks, but Clev. has more current aspirations than building with picks. If we do something its a three way?

As for Knicks, how he would land here matters as would his fit.
as for DDV, he is a great fit on a great contract and perhaps provides a better value for knicks than DM given that salary and the resources that could cost to make a deal.
I admit, I lack the vision to see beyond the chess pieces that Leon and Co. could put together that we can contend with.
Healthy we are contenders to some degree as we are if we run it back and resign iHart.

EwingsGlass
USA
4/9/2024  11:56 AM
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

The Cavs are all in now because they have Mitch. Have you seen how bad they are without him? They won't be all in if they trade him. He will also have more leverage the closer it gets to his free agency. The problem is he is too nice to use his leverage. I doubt we get him but the Cavs probably won't be all in after a trade and who will trade them another star without a primise of him re-signing with him when his contract is up? It all depends on how he chooses to use his leverage.

They are all in because they don't own their own draft picks for the next 8 years. Tanking does nothing for them.

This is the Randle.
Clean
Member: #743
4/9/2024  2:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2024  2:48 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

They are all in because they don't own their own draft picks for the next 8 years. Tanking does nothing for them.

Well, if we are using that logic then I guess the Nets are also all in. How good is that doing them? Them having no assets make a trade for draft assets more likely. The worst thing for a team is to be trash with no way to improve for the future. The Cavs like the Nets are trash without Mitch. At least the Nets got some assets for Harden. The Cavs will need to at least do the same.

On another note, The Nets are dumb to not have traded Bridges to the Rockets for their picks back. They would at least be able to tank for a chance at a better future. Bridges is a good player but not a number one and I doubt a number 2.

Nalod
USA
4/9/2024  5:30 PM
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

Well, if we are using that logic then I guess the Nets are also all in. How good is that doing them? Them having no assets make a trade for draft assets more likely. The worst thing for a team is to be trash with no way to improve for the future. The Cavs like the Nets are trash without Mitch. At least the Nets got some assets for Harden. The Cavs will need to at least do the same.

On another note, The Nets are dumb to not have traded Bridges to the Rockets for their picks back. They would at least be able to tank for a chance at a better future. Bridges is a good player but not a number one and I doubt a number 2.

You bring up good points. But perhaps tanking in the age of parity is done lessor and it does not take long to at least become respectable. Seemed Nets were "Ok" to start the season then the wheels came off. I understand what the Wiz did moving Wall and then Beal as they were going nowhere. Funny thing is Wiz on paper really are not that awful. Bad year to "tank" if that what they were doing but seemed more to clear out space and move forward. To give up a fine player like Bridges then not have the picks pan out is a prolonged agonizing killer.
Could the Nets actually still do that deal now and perhaps take back some of the Rockets "surplus" talant? Might be on the table.
Or Something with Detroit?
At least if doing a trade getting some talent back that is bonafide is less risky.
Perhaps along the lines of What OKC did with Clippers when they wanted/Needed PG13 and got SGA plus picks. Granted, that was a dream scenario but something to that degree.
As for Detroit and Houstan, getting one of the Thompson Twins, plus green or Ivy, and some draft capital might work. There is a premium for guys like OG and Bridges.
Rockets can extend Bridges. FVV money comes off after year two.
martin
USA
4/9/2024  5:55 PM
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

This is absolutely insane to me and I don’t get how dumb their GM is or maybe I got the details wrong.

Nets went from Durant, Kyrie, Harden and no draft picks (2 years ago?) to Mikal, Ben Simmons, Cam Thomas, Dorian Finley Smith and no picks?

It’ll be totally wild when Nic Claxton walks this summer, or they overpay to keep him

Is that the short of it? And those Nets guys’ values ain’t on the rise

LOL

It’s why - in a more than 2 team scenario - I think the Knicks could possibly have a shot at Mikal but it’d have to be an “overt” overpay by NY if the Nets GM had the nuts to engage the Knicks and save some face. Or maybe he could be a coordinated patsy on his way to getting fired.

EwingsGlass
USA
4/9/2024  6:18 PM
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

Nets should be all in also. As you say, the fact that they turned down their own picks and J. Green from Houston is near idiocy. Someone should be losing their job.

This is the Randle.
EwingsGlass
USA
4/9/2024  6:18 PM
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

This is absolutely insane to me and I don’t get how dumb their GM is or maybe I got the details wrong.

Nets went from Durant, Kyrie, Harden and no draft picks (2 years ago?) to Mikal, Ben Simmons, Cam Thomas, Dorian Finley Smith and no picks?

It’ll be totally wild when Nic Claxton walks this summer, or they overpay to keep him

LOL

It’s why - in a more than 2 team scenario - I think the Knicks could possibly have a shot at Mikal but it’d have to be an “overt” overpay by NY if the Nets GM had the nuts to engage the Knicks and save some face. Or maybe he could be a coordinated patsy on his way to getting fired.

The Nets have picks, just not their own.

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
4/9/2024  6:42 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

LOL

The Nets have picks, just not their own.

Well, just in the odd years

TheMTL
Member: #9140

4/9/2024  10:21 PM
Eh, I'm not keen on Donovan Mitchell anymore. Brunson has ascended to his level and I see alot of redundancies in both their games.

This team would do better with an SG like Mikal Bridges. Someone who can score 20ppg but doesn't need to though. And can play elite defense at the 2.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
4/9/2024  10:51 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
martin wrote:

It's not the Knicks, but it is New York.
Jonny Bryant may end up being the coach there.
This is Brunson's team. It will never be Donovan's.
The fit is cleaner in Brooklyn.

The Nets don't have the filler to get Mitchell. Cleveland is not taking just Bridges and Cam Thomas. They just don't have the resouces. The Knicks do. Cleveland will get depth by trading Mitchell and better pieces and build around Garland, Mobley and Allen. They are a win now team, you add guys like Cam Thomas, BB, Dennis Schroeder and a bunch of picks they are settng themselves up for a hall of a future.

The Knicks can afford to give the picks. The Nets get someone associated with their franchise that will drown out Ben Simmons being a part of their franchise. The Knicks get another seemless fit glue guy.

Not saying it's likely, but it is possible and it does make a semblance of sense on some level.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Nalod
USA
4/10/2024  10:17 AM
Tank/Rebuild with picks is a big financial hit.
We don't know what Joe Tsai is asking Sean Marks to do.
When a starphuch is presented as was Kyrie/Durant/Harden, and this was a few years ago it was not just on Sean Marks to make it happen. The owner has to understand the risks both financial and roster wise.
With Knicks not in a good place then it was a good chance to grab market share.
They were a toe away from the finals. They got close. Milwaukee moved on instead.
Im not looking at them as the hated cross town rival, but objectively as a business.
While logic dictates a rebuild from a fans perspective the picks they have are not in their control and logically getting their picks back would be a good thing. Jalen Green is talented but is he a building block or a Colin Sexton empty stat machine (Clev version)?
Nets are losing marketshare and have a bonafide building block who will likely resign. If not you trade him.
Deal for DM I would imagine can be worked out with other pieces to Clev, but not much more. As we see with OG, chemistry and the right player can enhance the team. Is Mikal that guys for them? If so you do it. Nets get a bankable star to build with. Question is how intent on chip legacy does DM have and how patient might he be? Fact is the man is a total success story elevating to the top echelon of his profession! Fans can determine what they want but we don't know what's in his head. They all say the same thing so lets not get the quote machine out. Im not questioning his heart or desire to win.
Im questioning fans thought process.
DM is a good dude and a hell of a player.
As for "Whose team is it"? well once upon a time Clyde owned the team and worked with Earl Monroe to make it work. Jalen will get paid, and perhaps DM is very much down to be part of this Thibian culture and the Villanova brotherhood.
Im sure most of us would like to see Mikal to complete the "collection".
I can't see Bridges here without giving up one of Josh or DDV along with other assets.
If OG bolts for some reason, then that changes everything.
DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/10/2024  10:22 AM
Nets would be stupid to trade for Donovan without any assets to build around him. I suppose they could do what the Knicks once attempted which is create mega cap space and hope he could lure someone. But the Nets have put themselves in the same position they were in when Marks was hired after the Billy King nightmare deal that rebuilt the Celtics into a powerhouse. They basically are right there once again. They will need to start collecting other teams picks. They really don't have an incentive to megatank though, Bridges is young enough that they might keep him around and just try to get creative in collecting talent. Tough call honestly. Their position is really bad.
martin
USA
4/10/2024  10:35 AM
TheMTL wrote:Eh, I'm not keen on Donovan Mitchell anymore. Brunson has ascended to his level and I see alot of redundancies in both their games.

This team would do better with an SG like Mikal Bridges. Someone who can score 20ppg but doesn't need to though. And can play elite defense at the 2.

You right.

After having had lots and lots of coffee this morning, and let's just say having had a good, long opportunity to sit and think, I am off the Donovan train for the Knicks. For the moment at least I'd guess that Donovan will try for the Knicks - cause why not, right - but it's just too complex a maneuver, for reasons.

And really, when you have Steph Curry on your team, do you want a second one or is it better to put your resources into getting a Klay Thompson compliment next to him?

I'd guess that the Knicks FO probably are targeting guys more like Mikal and Deni. My dream is both

Deni this offseason, Mikal after that. Let Deuce work on his handle and PG skills; for me, he has shown enough in that area.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/10/2024  11:02 AM
martin wrote:
TheMTL wrote:Eh, I'm not keen on Donovan Mitchell anymore. Brunson has ascended to his level and I see alot of redundancies in both their games.

You right.

After having had lots and lots of coffee this morning, and let's just say having had a good, long opportunity to sit and think, I am off the Donovan train for the Knicks. For the moment at least I'd guess that Donovan will try for the Knicks - cause why not, right - but it's just too complex a maneuver, for reasons.

And really, when you have Steph Curry on your team, do you want a second one or is it better to put your resources into getting a Klay Thompson compliment next to him?

I'd guess that the Knicks FO probably are targeting guys more like Mikal and Deni. My dream is both

Deni this offseason, Mikal after that. Let Deuce work on his handle and PG skills; for me, he has shown enough in that area.

A package that includes McBride/Mitch and say 3 FRPs feels like a good starting point for Bridges and he's guy who's fit makes sense. Brunson/Bridges/OG/Randle/IHart with DD/Josh and another rim protector (or maybe Precious) is a pretty sick line up

That's the kind of upgrade I would look at. I am not looking at anything that's not a clear upgrade on both sides of the ball. Is Donovan coming here to play off the ball and elite defense? That's what we need next to Brunson. Otherwise I'll just setting for beating Donovan in the first round each year

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
USA
4/10/2024  11:55 AM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

You right.

A package that includes McBride/Mitch and say 3 FRPs feels like a good starting point for Bridges and he's guy who's fit makes sense. Brunson/Bridges/OG/Randle/IHart with DD/Josh and another rim protector (or maybe Precious) is a pretty sick line up

That's the kind of upgrade I would look at. I am not looking at anything that's not a clear upgrade on both sides of the ball. Is Donovan coming here to play off the ball and elite defense? That's what we need next to Brunson. Otherwise I'll just setting for beating Donovan in the first round each year

For me, that's just too much. I think. If Claxton leaves, you have leverage against them on the Mitch-inclusion front.

I don't know if I'd do it but I guess it would depend on the picks and the plan to shore up the backup C position cause that is KEY in the Knicks system, more than the desperation for Mikal at SG, cause you have McBride, DDV, Hart to cover that spot.

Let the Donovan to NY chatter officially begin

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy