[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

In a vacuum, who are you going after next if you Leon? Donovan or Mikal?
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/17/2024  1:24 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
martin wrote:
JesseDark wrote:
smackeddog wrote:DM is the better player, Mikal is the better fit. If you got DM, I think you'd have to get rid of Randle, as there wouldn't be enough ball to go round, whereas if you got Mikal, I think you could keep him (unless you had to give him up in the trade.

I actually think we'll end up trading for KAT, though (remember Woj said after the OG trade the Knicks would like target a big name player who their team has to get rid of because of the salary cap)

I think KAT is the piece we need most. In a trade he doesn't come cheap, a resigned Hartenstein and Randle plus picks and filler I'd imagine.

That’s an insane trade IMHO

It does involve trading Randle.

Yeah but it’s an even year so, you know

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
martin
USA
3/17/2024  4:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2024  5:03 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Is this Starphuck lite? Just my opinion but I just can't see it being worth the expenditure of assets and $ for Mitchell. Yes great player and you would love to have him, but the idea that he's the guy to facilitate when Brunson is off the court (all 10 minutes of it) doesn't fly for me. And when they do play together - most of the game - as pointed out many times that is a small backcourt not particularly strong defensively. Would a Thibs team or even a Knicks team be smart to play at winning via shoot outs? I don't know, I've certainly been wrong before, with Brunson for starters.

Bridges does make more sense but again at what cost? Who do we lose to make that move? Just draft picks? Whose place does he take? JHart, DDV? He comes as a back up or one of those guys becomes one? And then there's the cap...Not saying it couldn't happen or that it wouldn't be good, just that it isn't simple.

I would view the DM addition differently, although there is no doubt the literal logistics of what you said about facilitating are spot on.

I’d view the addition more in terms of having another top flight guy who can take over quarters or games or runs of games or an entire month as Brunson and Randle and Donovan have all done before. And not just racking up points, but racking up points at critical times when the rest of the teams is struggling for whatever reason, and not just struggling shooting but maybe if a key player is down with injury.

I think an addition of DM really elevates that dynamic A LOT while not dropping the dense too much with a small backcourt. I’m not sure Mikal fills that particular slice of necessity the way Donovan can. Mikal does fit in a better way than Donovan positionally IMHO

Mikal elevates the floor of the team while Donovan elevates the ceiling IMHO and the ceiling is better value in a vacuum.

KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

3/17/2024  9:04 PM
martin wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Is this Starphuck lite? Just my opinion but I just can't see it being worth the expenditure of assets and $ for Mitchell. Yes great player and you would love to have him, but the idea that he's the guy to facilitate when Brunson is off the court (all 10 minutes of it) doesn't fly for me. And when they do play together - most of the game - as pointed out many times that is a small backcourt not particularly strong defensively. Would a Thibs team or even a Knicks team be smart to play at winning via shoot outs? I don't know, I've certainly been wrong before, with Brunson for starters.

Bridges does make more sense but again at what cost? Who do we lose to make that move? Just draft picks? Whose place does he take? JHart, DDV? He comes as a back up or one of those guys becomes one? And then there's the cap...Not saying it couldn't happen or that it wouldn't be good, just that it isn't simple.

I would view the DM addition differently, although there is no doubt the literal logistics of what you said about facilitating are spot on.

I’d view the addition more in terms of having another top flight guy who can take over quarters or games or runs of games or an entire month as Brunson and Randle and Donovan have all done before. And not just racking up points, but racking up points at critical times when the rest of the teams is struggling for whatever reason, and not just struggling shooting but maybe if a key player is down with injury.

I think an addition of DM really elevates that dynamic A LOT while not dropping the dense too much with a small backcourt. I’m not sure Mikal fills that particular slice of necessity the way Donovan can. Mikal does fit in a better way than Donovan positionally IMHO

Mikal elevates the floor of the team while Donovan elevates the ceiling IMHO and the ceiling is better value in a vacuum.

I mean if DM came to the Knicks I would adjust you know? What you said makes sense. Only way to find out is for it to happen so we shall see.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/18/2024  9:42 AM
I’m a vacuum, I’m taking Mitchell. He’d be an upgrade at SG. I’m not sure Mikal is an upgrade over what we got, especially when considering the fabric of our team
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/18/2024  10:01 AM
In a vacuum I need to know at what cost either comes at.
WE lose something to make a luxurious addition.
Did our “January roster” healthy actually have enough firepower to contend as it was? Perhaps.
Getting Bogs and Burkes made us deeper. Jury still out on that trade but lets just say Grimes is not prime time for playoffs just yet.
Does Leon keep making small adds to imporove or the aforementioned “Starphuch”?
Not like our picks are lined up to be great but Nets do have picks coming! Bridges could be fine building around him and getting a max or near contract for his trouble. Im sure we’d love it if he asked out and obviously needed to consider his future pay vs. staying.
Clev would want ready talent in return given their stature?
Someone is going to want DDV and that contract!!!!

Im intrigued by adding either player but

DLeethal
Member: #9126

3/18/2024  11:09 AM
I'm back on Donovan train with OG. If you look at the Denver squad they have 3 offensive stars and two stud defenders. We could build something similar with Jalen - Donovan - OG - Randle - iHart. Then you have defensive role players like Hart, Deuce, Precious, and keep Mitch and the platoon in tact. That's a championship team. We will need that level of firepower to beat Boston.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/18/2024  11:28 AM
Not sure we NEED either, but I do think Donavan is a high bball IQ guy that does a lot on both ends. Its not an easy fit to have 2 ball dominant guards, but I think these 2 guys are smart enough. That said Mikal is the easy fit from a chemistry and culture perspective. The guys that played from the Jay Wright Villanova era just have the bball smarts and effort level that give them the ability to play anywhere. Even Mikal coming out was being touted as a player who may not be a star, but could play a role on any time. As a terrific wing defender, reliable shooter and good teammate you kind of have no doubts that he is a plus addition right?
martin
USA
3/18/2024  11:41 AM
Nalod wrote:In a vacuum I need to know at what cost either comes at.
Did our “January roster” healthy actually have enough firepower to contend as it was? Perhaps.
Getting Bogs and Burkes made us deeper. Jury still out on that trade but lets just say Grimes is not prime time for playoffs just yet.
Not like our picks are lined up to be great but Nets do have picks coming! Bridges could be fine building around him and getting a max or near contract for his trouble. Im sure we’d love it if he asked out and obviously needed to consider his future pay vs. staying.

We need to backtrack and discuss what “in a vacuum” means? Cause that’s not the ask

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
3/18/2024  11:49 AM
Ok, take DDV and jHart and let's call them glue guys. Start. Rotation. Whatever, they will get their minutes and will give effort and skill in those minutes. Robinson/iHart will fill out the center position well. iHart has this Jokic look to him when passing that I want to nurture. Precious and McBride will bring absolute effort in bench minutes. You have Bogs contract, rights to foreign players, trade exceptions and a lot of picks to fill that last SG position. This isn't to say that DDV isn't good enough. Just to say, can we add positional size at the SG? That's Bridges.

Brunson / MM
_______ / DDV
Anunoby / jHart
Randle / Precious
Robinson/iHart

I think Bridges is the more obvious choice. As much as Randle has changed his game, I think he doesn't "fit" around Brunson perfectly. I'd be looking to move Bogs and up to 5 picks for Bridges.

Guys also on my list still include (1) Tari Eason, (2) Herbert Jones, (3) Tre Murphy, (4) JJJ. That is all.

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
3/18/2024  12:13 PM
Nalod wrote:In a vacuum I need to know at what cost either comes at.

This is Brooklyn's future drafts: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

In a nutshell, Houston owns their future picks.

2024 - To HOU

2025 - Own or HOU (via HOU swap for BRK) if HOU 1-10 or if HOU 11-30 less favorable than LAC; or least favorable of BRK, HOU 11-30 and OKC; and more favorable of (i) BRK and (ii) less favorable of HOU 11-30 and OKC to HOU if HOU 11-30 more favorable than LAC (via OKC swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; via HOU swap of HOU or OKC for BRK); PHX

2026 - To HOU

2027 - Own or HOU (via HOU swap for BRK); PHL 9-30 if PHL conveys 1st round pick to OKC in 2025; PHX

2028 - Two most / more favorable of BRK, PHL 9-30 if not already settled and if PHL has conveyed 1st round pick to OKC by 2026, and PHX; more favorable of (i) WAS and (ii) least / less favorable of BRK, PHL 9-30 if conveyed to BRK, and PHX to WAS then other to PHX (via BRK swap of BRK or PHL for PHX; via WAS swap for PHX, BRK or PHL)

2029 - Own; DAL; PHX

2030 - Own

Nalod
USA
3/18/2024  4:54 PM
Vacuum sucks
martin
USA
3/18/2024  6:16 PM
Nalod wrote:Vacuum sucks

+1

martin
USA
4/11/2024  3:29 PM
These things are not NOT scripted with intention.

Mikal move Queen to Rook4 or whatever I don't play chess

Chandler
Member: #6197

4/11/2024  4:03 PM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:DM... seems to be alot of smoke there and he's just flat out a better player. Stars win and while Mikal might fit better he's simply not better than DM.

we also badly need another playmaker.

The biggest 2 qualities the Knicks are needing: another playmaker and end of game go-to guy (who will also get calls). DM solves both of those in a way Mikal I don't think can do.

this is why it's DM and it's not close

Mikal is super duper as a complementary player. We need go-to alpha (Sorry can't rely on Julius for that; and all teams know that) Brunson is great but teams will focus on him and wear him down

(5)(5)
Chandler

4/11/2024  4:05 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:DM... seems to be alot of smoke there and he's just flat out a better player. Stars win and while Mikal might fit better he's simply not better than DM.

we also badly need another playmaker.

The biggest 2 qualities the Knicks are needing: another playmaker and end of game go-to guy (who will also get calls). DM solves both of those in a way Mikal I don't think can do.

That's Randle... until it isnt

this is precisely why we need DM. Lots of things to like about Randle but being clutch and handling pressure is not one of them

(5)(5)
Chandler

4/11/2024  4:08 PM
one other thing to consider: When DM was entering the league the analysis is he would be great on D and the hope is he would develop offense. So defense is in him; Thibs just needs to coax it out of him

That said, you can't imagine Mikal being a go to clutch guy the way you can DM

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
4/11/2024  11:02 PM
fitzfarm wrote:Wow I can’t believe people think DM is better than JB???? What? Brunson over DM all day every day. Brunson already beat DM in the playoffs and outplayed him badly. Don’t get me wrong DM is a star, but I’m not willing to give up any of my core pieces for him . Again a healthy Randle and this team goes to the chip . Maybe McBride, boggy and 3 protected 1st.

Is dm more athletic then JB and makes sports center more yep other then that it’s JB all day over DM again it’s not that dislike DM and I wouldn’t be upset with him on the team.

JB is simply a better overall basketball player. I’m also not giving up anything when DM can just come here a year later haven’t we learned our lesson with the melo trade?

Im not worried about Leon blowing the bank account like Dolan did when he stepped on Donnie and got his starphuch.
End of an era of stupidity.
Melo was never coming via free agency. Its been well discussed in proper context regarding his knee, his opt out, and the pending lock out.
We beat Cleveland was not a one on one contest between JB and DM.
DM has been elite for 5 years. JB about 5 months. Going forward? Who knows.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

4/12/2024  11:45 AM
I think Mikal would be a great addition. Mitchell takes the ball out of JB hands and forces the team to play the type of take-turns offense that minimalizes the surrounding players. Mikal would make the Knicks the best defensive team since the KG Celtics, provide incredible spacing for JB, and make for some damn pretty offense when teams trap JB. I prefer building around the defense while maxing JB and offensive flow over having a 2nd on ball isolation super star here
In a vacuum, who are you going after next if you Leon? Donovan or Mikal?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy