Broadway Brunson
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/17/2024  2:57 PM
this needs to be in this thread:

martin wrote:

listen to this.. here's an opposing coach saying Knicks won because we couldnt stop Brunson. Listen to him read the stats from Brunson vs. rest of the Knicks. Wow.

Last night was interesting. Saw some real hero ball in the crunch time. Brunson missed 3 straight times and none of the shots were great. They were hero shot which I dont really mind cause Brunson IS a phucking hero... This was just a sit back and see what Brunson does moment for me. What he did was the fake and blow by to seal the same. Just sick guile and his bag of tricks is so exhausting for opposing teams.

I just phucking heart everything about Brunson. What I didnt realize was how strong he is and despite being short he doesnt get pushed around and that's really important to what we do on defense (unlike floppy hoes like Hali and Trae)

Dear god I wanna see this squad w/ Randle and Mitch. Fingers crossed.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/17/2024  5:04 PM
TRUTH

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/18/2024  9:42 AM
With DM falling under the 65 game needed to get post season honors, Jah MOrant out and JB eclipsing Lillard by a more then slim margin our guy has a good chance to break thru to All NBA honors. While deserving on his own its not easy to knock out incumbents.
I know its our duty to homer on our guys but there is a reality to this.
Still a bit of season to go.
DM absence and clev not having an easy time of it speaks to his importance to them. He, like Brunson will get MVP votes.

ALl NBA voting now is positionless so its the top 15 players. This helped Randle in past years.

As for COY honors, Thibs should get some consideration int he the top 5. Daigenault in OK is doing a great job as is Finch in Minny. Mazzula has a stacked roster and just can’t say he stands out despite having the best record? Weird to say that. Bickerstaff in Clev, Mosley in Orlando have done nice jobs. Thibs has done a great job keeping his team together during a really bad injury spell.

Was looking at minutes played and while JB is up there, I was suprised it was stlll a bit less than Davis and Lebron. Durant also is putting in bigger minutes.

Speaking of Lebron, I know he is not universally loved but he did this 40k points and not like he is riding the wake of a great team either. Statistically he is having a great year and has already played over 60 games for the year.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/18/2024  11:39 AM
He is a 1 with no qualifiers. He is one of the best scorers in the game period. Can't wait to get him some support in the form of another ALL NBA caliber, top 20 NBA scorer in Randle.
martin
USA
3/18/2024  12:56 PM
VDesai wrote:He is a 1 with no qualifiers. He is one of the best scorers in the game period. Can't wait to get him some support in the form of another ALL NBA caliber, top 20 NBA scorer in Randle.

To be sure, my 1A was top of line

martin
USA
3/18/2024  12:56 PM
VDesai
USA
3/18/2024  3:29 PM
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:He is a 1 with no qualifiers. He is one of the best scorers in the game period. Can't wait to get him some support in the form of another ALL NBA caliber, top 20 NBA scorer in Randle.

I posted this at the end of the Kings game thread, but maybe its more relevant here.

This is really just my own feeling and not a fact, but in watching the Knicks for 30+ years, I've never felt more confident about a player getting buckets than Brunson. He is a remarkable player. He can beat traps and doubles, you can try to foul him or play him physically. You can send help in the paint. This guy can just score at will. Yes he can have an off night. Yes some nights the traps/doubles work better than others. His confidence and intelligence just make it so hard on the defense to truly shut him down. He will find a way. Even the small things - like noticing that Keon Ellis was peaking on the screens. Just insane intelligence to call for that at the most crucial point in the game and immediately pounce when Ellis looked away. Even with that hit was a very cool, collected finish as they had rim protection ready when he got to the paint. He quickly got to his strong hand and switched hands and got it up before the defender could jump.

Just a next level basketball play made mainly by smarts but also exceptional quickness and skill. Its one of those things you just come to expect, but when you think about the moment in the game and how the entire defense is keyed in to stop him - to make that play is remarkable.

fishmike
USA
3/18/2024  4:43 PM
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:

I posted this at the end of the Kings game thread, but maybe its more relevant here.

This is really just my own feeling and not a fact, but in watching the Knicks for 30+ years, I've never felt more confident about a player getting buckets than Brunson. He is a remarkable player. He can beat traps and doubles, you can try to foul him or play him physically. You can send help in the paint. This guy can just score at will. Yes he can have an off night. Yes some nights the traps/doubles work better than others. His confidence and intelligence just make it so hard on the defense to truly shut him down. He will find a way. Even the small things - like noticing that Keon Ellis was peaking on the screens. Just insane intelligence to call for that at the most crucial point in the game and immediately pounce when Ellis looked away. Even with that hit was a very cool, collected finish as they had rim protection ready when he got to the paint. He quickly got to his strong hand and switched hands and got it up before the defender could jump.

Just a next level basketball play made mainly by smarts but also exceptional quickness and skill. Its one of those things you just come to expect, but when you think about the moment in the game and how the entire defense is keyed in to stop him - to make that play is remarkable.

this man! I honestly feel lucky that he's our guy. I love how we are clearly building around him, how Randle/OG compliment HIM and how the role players are his guys and its all about winning. Future remains intact. Hard to ask for more
martin
USA
3/18/2024  8:06 PM
nycdan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8926

3/19/2024  9:29 AM
fishmike wrote:
DLeethal wrote:What's crazy to think about is that going after Brunson and subsequently all of his college buddies / teammates reeks of cronyism in most cases BUT in this case they were also A+ basketball moves. It's not like employing Thanasis to please Giannis, we found amazing support players by going after Brunson's best friends. Really unusual situation that is working out very well for us.
it so does... and what we have is the opposite. JB/Hart/DD clearly push each other to win. They arent just having fun out there (they are). They are WORKING and real blue collar throw back Knicks to the 90s. DD really reminds me of Starks. He's always flying around, attacks with no fear, gets physical and plays with joy.

The Nova trio are real culture setters. They all earned the coaches trust. They are all accountable. Now it's just stay healthy and enjoy the journey. Feels like the 90s. We are good... can we crack the finals?

Added bonus: Brunson and Hart are giving us some of the best press conferences the professional sports world has ever seen.

martin
USA
3/19/2024  11:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/19/2024  11:52 AM
The first minute for me solidifies why iHart will start over Mitch, everything else being equal. The PnR capabilities.

And not for nothing, but the game is slowing down for Brunson and we are seeing the passing version of him that would have probably not blossomed as quickly (or never) behind Luca.

iHarts ability to PnR and PASS is something Mitch doesn't come close to. Mitch is a physical phenom and can do different things on the lob and being a presence on the court, but iHart just opens up everyone ELSE around him.

Check out that first pass to Decue on the move, Mitch will never make that catch and pass.

Nalod
USA
3/19/2024  11:31 AM
They were so consumed with Stopping JB Isiah got some nice touches.
Warriors with Draymond at the 5 did not match up well with us.

Bogs had a nice in the paint mid jumper when Warriors pulled to within 5 in 4th. Nice!

Thibs did a great job last night.

VDesai
USA
3/19/2024  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/19/2024  11:59 AM
martin wrote:The first minute for me solidifies why iHart will start over Mitch, everything else being equal. The PnR capabilities.

And not for nothing, but the game is slowing down for Brunson and we are seeing the passing version of him that would have probably not blossomed as quickly (or never) behind Luca.

iHarts ability to PnR and PASS is something Mitch doesn't come close to. Mitch is a physical phenom and can do different things on the lob and being a presence on the court, but iHart just opens up everyone ELSE around him.

Check out that first pass to Decue on the move, Mitch will never make that catch and pass.

Yes- this is the truth. iHart has way more offensive skill - obviously he is a wizard with the pass, but he has better hands, is showing some touch in the paint and he can make FTs. Mitch is a better finisher and physically even more explosive/imposing (not that Hartenstein isn't a presence). That said Hartenstein's defensive IQ is very strong and he does a great job of not getting into foul trouble while protecting the rim. Having both and being able to keep them both fresh can be the key in physically imposing your will on the team (as we saw vs. Cleveland). But having Hartenstein's offensive versatility + Precious who can also play center and add more dimensionality on offense is going to be important against teams like Miami who will look to exploit Mitch.

martin
USA
3/19/2024  12:19 PM
VDesai wrote:Yes- this is the truth. iHart has way more offensive skill - obviously he is a wizard with the pass, but he has better hands, is showing some touch in the paint and he can make FTs. Mitch is a better finisher and physically even more explosive/imposing (not that Hartenstein isn't a presence). That said Hartenstein's defensive IQ is very strong and he does a great job of not getting into foul trouble while protecting the rim. Having both and being able to keep them both fresh can be the key in physically imposing your will on the team (as we saw vs. Cleveland). But having Hartenstein's offensive versatility + Precious who can also play center and add more dimensionality on offense is going to be important against teams like Miami who will look to exploit Mitch.

This hits it for me.

I can get behind coaches having and favoring an 8-10 man rotation but I'm not one to think that each of those guys will always get 30+ or that just because - at full roster health - Bogs, Deuce, Precious as 8thy to 11th guys won't get playing time.

Team can get into the territory of player matchups. And especially so in playoffs.

And we just saw that last night against GS.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

fishmike
USA
3/19/2024  12:57 PM
martin wrote:

suddenly Draymond is very reasonable! After this take I cant dislike him so much
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

3/19/2024  1:07 PM
Did anyone notice last night late in the game when it was basically do or die time for GSW that Draymond started D-ing up Brunson at the top of the key?
Nalod
USA
3/19/2024  1:11 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

suddenly Draymond is very reasonable! After this take I cant dislike him so much

He reached a crossroad as he nears retirement. Be a dick like Oak or set up for career in broadcasting/personality. He is doing commercials also.
Personally I have no issues with Oak as he does not present to the masses nor tries to. Barkley does his opinion well with humor.
Be interesting how he handles is post playing career. I have not listened to any of his podcast.

Brunson is 1A? Yes, Brunson is a 1A.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy