Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
2/7/2002  8:42 AM
Can we get the Oakman?
AUTOADVERT
Member: #192
2/7/2002  9:44 AM
I like Oak everything. Do you think he is the solution to this team though? I rather to see this team tank for this season and REBUILD... It actually may not take that much to do that, a couple of young talents maybe, but let's start now!
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/7/2002  10:08 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

Can we get the Oakman?
Oakman is tough enough to play center for us... i say we trade anderson and eisley for artest and oakman...
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
2/7/2002  10:22 AM
Younger is better - and better is better - Let's not go for just anything, - I do like the plan to b(t)ank it for this season and going for draft choices and free agents in the coming two years. Quality is the Key...
The Old Man of UK...
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/7/2002  10:23 AM
It was a very sad day when the Knicks traded Oakley, although they got Camby in return. He is the toughest and most hard working NBA player I have ever seen play on such a consistent basis. If nothing else, you know you will get 1000% from him day in and day out. I love what Oakley brings to the table.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2002  11:45 AM
This, from today's Insider:

Could the Oak tree hit the waiver wire?

Speaking of desperate . . .

How bad has Charles Oakley's relationship with the Bulls become?

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Bulls are contemplating waiving Oakley if they are unable to trade him by the deadline. The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that Oakley may be willing to waive the remainder of his salary for the season to facilitate the process.

That's a major reversal from Bulls operations chief Jerry Krause's repeated insistence throughout the year that Oakley isn't going anywhere. However, the emergence of Tyson Chandler and Marcus Fizer, along with Oakley's constant criticism, seems to have changed the thinking in Chicago.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," Krause told the Chicago Tribune. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it and as we see how Tyson [Chandler] plays. [Coach] Bill [Cartwright] and I are going to sit down after the break and discuss things. But nothing's imminent. We have time."

While several teams seemed hot for Oakely earlier this year when he went ballistic on coach Tim Floyd, apparently that pool has dried up.

"Jerry keeps saying teams can't fit me in the cap, this and that," Oakley said. "Jerry brought me here, and I don't know what the reason was. But I just have to deal with it."

Oakley is in the last year of a contract that pays him $7.3 million this season. Why that may be a lot of money for Oakley, whose game has clearly deteriorated this season, he could still help a veteran team looking for a little something to push it over the top.

The problem, more accurately, is what the Bulls want in return. Because Oakely would give them cap room next year, they are looking for either another player in the last year of his deal, draft picks or a young budding star. A high price for an old war horse.

Michael Jordan and the Wizards have pined for Oakley all year. However, to work out a trade, the Wizards would likely have to give up Tyrone Nesby, Chris Whitney and Courtney Alexander just to make the numbers work. The upside of the Wizards making that deal is that they would clear even more cap room to pursue Rashard Lewis this summer.

The Pacers, Sixers and Suns are all also looking for a veteran low-post presence. However, everyone may gamble that the Bulls release Oakley before March 1 (if he's release after, he's ineligible for the postseason), clears waivers and then can negotiate with the team of his choice. If Oakley makes it that far, don't be surprised to see him wearing Laker gold and purple in March.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/7/2002  5:05 PM
I like Oak, but how much will he help? He's no better than Harrington, Thomas, and Weatherspoon so we can't really put him anywhere.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
2/7/2002  11:19 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

I like Oak, but how much will he help? He's no better than Harrington, Thomas, and Weatherspoon so we can't really put him anywhere.

I agree, I will always like Oak but how much could he help us now?? Unless he got packaged with Brad Miller...
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/7/2002  11:51 PM
What we would give up for Oakely and Miller wouldn't be worth it.
#Knickstaps
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/8/2002  5:09 AM
Another advantage of trading for the Oak is that his 7.3 salary ends this year. If we would let him leave as a free agent or retire after this year would mean another 7 mil of the cap which is a start. If we could trade Ward or Eisley to accomplish this it would be a very good trade. He would bring heart and cap relief.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/8/2002  10:11 AM
holy cow, I can't believe that the papers are reporting that the Oakman may be waived by the Bulls. How bad does your GM have to be when you can't trade a durable, rebounding, strongman power forward who is in the last year of his contract when every team in the league is looking for a durable, rebounding, strongman in the last year of his contract? whoa.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VG
Member: #68
Australia
2/8/2002  6:59 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Another advantage of trading for the Oak is that his 7.3 salary ends this year. If we would let him leave as a free agent or retire after this year would mean another 7 mil of the cap which is a start. If we could trade Ward or Eisley to accomplish this it would be a very good trade. He would bring heart and cap relief.

This would be a great trade if the Knicks land Marbury during the All-Star break...
RMucerino
Member: #204
USA
2/8/2002  9:19 PM
I personally would love to have the oak man back .In alot of ways I regret the trade that sent him to toronto for Camby. It is not a knock against camby but I wish it could have been differant. Could the two have complemented one another I think and if the Oak man hits the wire I think that we should go ahead fullbore. We sure as heck can't lose anything.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/9/2002  7:23 PM
I think if Oakley would have been in our roster during the finals against the Spurs... We would have stood a good chance of beating those bastards!!!
Oakley on the block

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy