[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trading Grimes for the Ghost of Bojan Bogdanovic and Burks Was A Mistake
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

3/12/2024  4:30 PM
Bad desperation move. Grimes would have helped us more in the playoffs. Isiah would be proud!
AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

3/12/2024  4:34 PM
I've been trying to give both trades the benefit of the doubt but I really don't like either trade. OG is always hurt, that's who he is. Meanwhile RJ & IQ were a lock for 140 games combined, we traded that for a guy that you're lucky to get 60 from.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

3/12/2024  4:52 PM
nycericanguy wrote:I've been trying to give both trades the benefit of the doubt but I really don't like either trade. OG is always hurt, that's who he is. Meanwhile RJ & IQ were a lock for 140 games combined, we traded that for a guy that you're lucky to get 60 from.

I love the RJ IQ trade. Very good players but OG is a perfect fit. A thought Precious would be useful in his role but he has surpassed all expectations. We weren’t going to pay IQ starter money, heck Toronto might not even give him the kwan he wants.

The OG trade was good for both teams. I don’t see where the Grimes trade has benefitted us at all.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

3/12/2024  5:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/12/2024  5:03 PM
Rookie wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:I've been trying to give both trades the benefit of the doubt but I really don't like either trade. OG is always hurt, that's who he is. Meanwhile RJ & IQ were a lock for 140 games combined, we traded that for a guy that you're lucky to get 60 from.

I love the RJ IQ trade. Very good players but OG is a perfect fit. A thought Precious would be useful in his role but he has surpassed all expectations. We weren’t going to pay IQ starter money, heck Toronto might not even give him the kwan he wants.

The OG trade was good for both teams. I don’t see where the Grimes trade has benefitted us at all.

well we should have paid IQ starter money because he's really good. But even if we didn't want to pay him, we traded him AND RJ for a very injury prone player who also needs to be paid. RJ showed last playoffs he was one to build around, not Randle.

RJ & IQ would have made sense for Mikal but OG just comes with too many issues and they haven't taken long to manifest.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/12/2024  5:07 PM
Rookie wrote:Bad desperation move. Grimes would have helped us more in the playoffs. Isiah would be proud!

I don’t see how grimes would help us to be honest. He wouldn’t even be in the rotation by the end of the year. He wasn’t good last playoffs and he’s regressed. He is also becoming very injury prone. By playoff time, Mitch, Achiuwa, hart and deuce would be the 4 off the bench had this trade not been made. At this point we have to treat grimes for what he is. He’s a 3&D SG whose confidence varies too much to be relied on.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
3/12/2024  5:08 PM
I'm undecided. I need more data.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

3/12/2024  5:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/12/2024  5:49 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Rookie wrote:

well we should have paid IQ starter money because he's really good. But even if we didn't want to pay him, we traded him AND RJ for a very injury prone player who also needs to be paid. RJ showed last playoffs he was one to build around, not Randle.

RJ & IQ would have made sense for Mikal but OG just comes with too many issues and they haven't taken long to manifest.

How anyone can watch RJ for three years and say we needed to build around him instead of a three time All Star is beyond me. Years full of inconsistency and with no ability to hit a three point shot. Watching his ability to read a defense is like watching a HS level player. Kid had permanent blinders screwed on. Could safely say he is not even someone to build around in Toronto.
Concern regarding OGs injury history is valid. But injuries can come in bunches and can stay away for years. Hopefully we can sign him to a decent contract and he stays healthy.
Randle being out and team struggling has shown he is not expendable as some thought.
When both OG and Randle were here guys were talking chip.
Short memory continues .

As for IQ, great player. Too bad we could not keep him. But not smart to give him starting PG money when he was destined to be JB's back up. Ones upset we traded him ignore he wanted to be a starter. So unless you were willing to trade JB to do so, can't complain.

Know the concern with upcoming renewal for Grimes but would agree that he seemed to be a Thibs guy and Bogs is not. As was Evan. So why add him if Thibs is not going to play him. Burks has been disappointing. Watching both play defense makes one realize why Detroit was so bad.
But let's wait to we get our franchise player and All Defense stud back. They may fit better with them and have to do much less

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

3/12/2024  5:43 PM
If you’re going to go by “so far” Grimes has barely played and when he has like doo doo.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/12/2024  8:35 PM
KnickDanger wrote:If you’re going to go by “so far” Grimes has barely played and when he has like doo doo.

Oof, just looked at the numbers. He just scorched the Hornets for 6 points on 1-8 shooting, which also happens to be his second highest scoring game with Detroit...

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
3/12/2024  9:05 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:If you’re going to go by “so far” Grimes has barely played and when he has like doo doo.

Oof, just looked at the numbers. He just scorched the Hornets for 6 points on 1-8 shooting, which also happens to be his second highest scoring game with Detroit...

I think Grimes is gonna figure it out, and be in the league for many years.

I do miss his defense.

Good luck to him!

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
3/12/2024  9:27 PM
There is next to no lasting harm for this trade. It had some potential to added needed depth. That need is disappearing.

I think Bojan is best as a PF and Burks as a SF. Both are slightly out of position with Precious playing so well. But they are both also playing with bad habits they must have picked up in Detroit. Bad decision making. Low efficiency shots. Loose passing style. I don’t have an answer for the bad play. They just need to get into the film room and take their lumps.

This is the Randle.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/12/2024  9:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/12/2024  9:49 PM
If it was a mistake, it wasn't a big one.

Grimes, unfortunately, has the same bad career luck as Frank Ntilikina. It seems like EVERY SINGLE TIME he had an opportunity to carve out a big role, an injury was soon to follow.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in Detroit with so many other young, hungry players.

I liked Grimes' flashes of brilliance, but ultimately I think he's replaceable. What can he do that Damyean Dotson can't?

I don't think you can count on Grimes being healthy when you need him. I think you have a better shot with either Burks/Bogdanovic catching fire in limited minutes than Grimes.

Long term, it's a bit of a wash - I don't think he was going to accept a deal like McBride's.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
JesseDark
Member: #467
3/12/2024  10:18 PM
Gotta keep the faith that those two will pick it up. My hope is that by playoffs we will be at full strength and they can give us some meaningful play off the bench.
Bring back dee-fense
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

3/12/2024  10:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/12/2024  10:19 PM
ToddTT wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

I think Grimes is gonna figure it out, and be in the league for many years.

I do miss his defense.

Good luck to him!

I was a fan of all of our homegrown guys and didn’t like trading them. And I absolutely wish them well, Fournier too. But this Precious and OG trade really changed the profile of this team. So far the Grimes for Bogs and Burks trade looks like a wishy wash, but they gave us bodies when there were none and Grimey still has upside. Bogs may yet win an important game for us.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/12/2024  10:30 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Rookie wrote:

You're going to have a tough time convincing me of that after tonight's game.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Clean
Member: #743
3/13/2024  12:47 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Rookie wrote:

You're going to have a tough time convincing me of that after tonight's game.

Hey Big I know I am replying to you but this is just a general reply and wanted to touch on everything said by everyone in the quote.

After tonights game? I been on this since I seen how OG unlocked everything good with this team right after the trade. I love RJ and Quick but they did not fit the team. RJ when talking about game and Quick when talking about money and position. The Nets are also never trading Bridges to us.

On Bogi and Burks, I won't judge them until the team has Randle and they can focus on hitting open shots. That is the role we traded for them to do and they have not been able to do it because of injuries. If they fail at doing that then its fair game. McBride is playing well but the bench needs a playmaker to get guys easy shots.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/13/2024  8:05 AM
Rookie wrote:Bad desperation move. Grimes would have helped us more in the playoffs. Isiah would be proud!

Interesting u would give Grimes gets benefit of the doubt for playoffs over Bojan since he's actually had successful playoff experience and performances. Other than pure home grown bias, what do you have to base this on?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/13/2024  8:15 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Interesting u would give Grimes gets benefit of the doubt for playoffs over Bojan since he's actually had successful playoff experience and performances. Other than pure home grown bias, what do you have to base this on?

This is exactly right. Generally speaking I have no issues with us calling the trade a failure so far, but it has absolutely nothing to do with trading grimes. If anything, the Knicks should have dealt grimes the minute they signed DiVincenzo for max value. But he’s regressed this year despite starting the season in the same role as last year, and his injury history is piling up.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/13/2024  8:20 AM
if you were trading Boggy & Burks to replace Randle and Grimes- then yes, horrible trade.

Burks looks to me finished and should only be used in 'break glass' emergencies. His #'s look far worse than in Detroit, so maybe he does have some upside yet.

Grimes did nothing for us this year, and he only had a good game against us- so I wish him the best.

Boggy was not brought in to replace Randle, but back him up and perhaps offer Thibs another big shooter to play with. I am confident we will see him flourish and if he turns into Evan Fournier 2.0, no real harm was done because we really didn't give up anything for them.

If it was a mistake to make the trade, it was one with exceedingly low cost. Flynn might have been the best player we gave up!

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/13/2024  8:30 AM
franco12 wrote:if you were trading Boggy & Burks to replace Randle and Grimes- then yes, horrible trade.

Burks looks to me finished and should only be used in 'break glass' emergencies. His #'s look far worse than in Detroit, so maybe he does have some upside yet.

Grimes did nothing for us this year, and he only had a good game against us- so I wish him the best.

Boggy was not brought in to replace Randle, but back him up and perhaps offer Thibs another big shooter to play with. I am confident we will see him flourish and if he turns into Evan Fournier 2.0, no real harm was done because we really didn't give up anything for them.

If it was a mistake to make the trade, it was one with exceedingly low cost. Flynn might have been the best player we gave up!

The potential boom for Bojan as a 2nd unit shot maker was worth the low risk. If it hit we jump to another level. If it doesn't hit we are pretty much the same. The only question would be the long term value of Grimes and the 2nd rounder. Grimes in a perfect spot playing alongside of gravity players like Brunson & Randle and asked to be a high end 3&D player role player. He ended up losing his starting job a quarter way into the season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Trading Grimes for the Ghost of Bojan Bogdanovic and Burks Was A Mistake

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy