[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

No role for Sweetney?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/24/2004  11:02 PM
Why are his minutes steadily decreasing?
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/24/2004  11:33 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Why are his minutes steadily decreasing?

Very upsetting with what is going on with the way Sweets is being played. I think KT playing well is going to the Lenny's head and thinks KT is all he needs now. Dumb old fool he has gold in Sweetney and doesn't see it. The more he plays the better he will get. But six fricken minutes is poor usage by Lenny. Sweetney needs to be in the 20 or more range for the Knicks to be successful.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/24/2004  11:41 PM
This team will never reach it's potential as long as Wilkens is the coach. He is starting to remind me of Chaney.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/24/2004  11:55 PM
i dont think it's Lenny fault. I just think Sweetney is not ready. i can't think of a player as out of shape as him who became a bonfide starter in the league Elton was big at the start but not that big and he was also very strong. He's almost as big as Robert Traylor! players like that are bench players that you use when the match up right. Sweetney really should work on getting in shape. He has all the tools to to be a beast in the post but he keeps getting beat down the court and he's too stagnant on offense
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/25/2004  8:16 AM
Same thing happen to Frank Williams remember? Frank had skillz but he continued to come to camp out of shape, why isn't anybody questioning sweets desire for the game instead of food. Remember Oliver Miller, the boy had skillz for two things basketball and the fridge.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/25/2004  9:45 AM
Sweets is a PF. Who on the Knicks do you sit?

Kurt? JYD? Nazr?

Sweetney just is not playing great ball and other guys are. Nothing more.

Bench players will get minutes based on how they produce. Sweets has not. He will probably continue to get spot minutes, and then more when he is on a roll.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
11/25/2004  10:21 AM
Posted by martin:

Kurt? JYD? Nazr?

Bench players will get minutes based on how they produce. Sweets has not. He will probably continue to get spot minutes, and then more when he is on a roll.
Heck, even Baker got more minutes than Sweetney yesterday
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/25/2004  10:42 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by martin:

Kurt? JYD? Nazr?

That's because it was a BLOW OUT. Minutes played are skewed in blow outs.
Bonn1997
USA
11/25/2004  10:57 AM
Posted by Panos:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by martin:

Kurt? JYD? Nazr?

That's because it was a BLOW OUT. Minutes played are skewed in blow outs.
So Sweetney isn't even good enough to get garbage minutes in blow outs now???

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11/25/2004 10:57:54]
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
11/25/2004  10:57 AM
From what I saw out of Sweets in the limited time he played - I was less than impressed.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Bonn1997
USA
11/25/2004  10:59 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

From what I saw out of Sweets in the limited time he played - I was less than impressed.
It's hard to be impressive in just 6 mpg.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/25/2004  11:33 AM
for all of those that say Sweetney needs more minutes, I need you to explain to me how he is going to get those minutes, what lineup he works best in, etc.

Here is the deal. Sweets is a POST-UP PF, not an off-the-ball, spot up shooter like Kurt is. With Kurt running the pick-and-roll with Marbury, you start it at the top of the key. All of the other guys spread the floor and this opens up lanes to the basket as an option for the Marbury. Marbury can break his man down, or beat Kurt's defender going to the basket, AND he has Kurt as an option for the 15-18 footer. Sweets cannot run this play. Incidentally, when Kurt rolls (depending on how his defender reacts) you can also cause the defense to rotate, leaving guys wide open for perimeter shots. Nazr has been getting so many 5-foot hoops because his guy may be helping out to defend Kurt in the roll portion of the pick-and-roll.

OK then, with Sweets in the game, his only offense if back-to-the-basket. Now, who is guarding Sweets? The opposing PF or the opposing C? Sweets is always in the game with either Kurt or Nazr, both of whom you can guard with a PF. If Kurt is in the game, more than likely you are running pick-and-rolls with Marbury as your first or second option. If Nazr is in the game, since he does not have a consistent 10-15 foot jump shot, when Sweets gets the ball in the post, you can easily double off of Nazr. And you need not double by fully going at him: you get just clog the opposite side of the lane by leaving Nazr on the perimeter, cause he is not a threat.

Also, I have seen the opposing team guard Sweets with their center instead of their PF. This gives Sweets lots of trouble cause, although he is long, he is not tall, and that kind of height bothers him.

For the most part, Sweets is still a young player, and with young players you need them to earn minutes. How many times have you seen Sweets foul out on the perimeter whilst setting a pick? How about the reach-ins? He still does not know how to space the floor well, and his one-on-one defense is average at best. How many times has he shuffled his feet just after getting the ball?

I’ve said it before… if Sweets is getting minutes at PF, do you cut Kurt’s minutes or JYD’s minutes? Hell no, those guys are earning and deserving of the time they are on the cuourt.

His time will come, but he has to EARN it. Same with Ariza.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/25/2004  2:43 PM
wait a sec... Sweetney has a long ways to go and a times hasnt played well. Some games he will get a lot of minutes, others maybe not. MAybe the staff sees something they dont like, nobody knows. Life in the NBA for a 22 year old sophmore
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/25/2004  3:10 PM
i think sweets minutes are down because Lenny has judged a need for JYD in the game for his defense

its also early and I believe they are still trying to get some combo's of players down...
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/25/2004  5:08 PM
Sweets is only going to get about 4 to 5 touches at best, unless he makes 4 out of the first 5, he's primary job is to rebound the ball.
At least until he starts showing more of an offensive game.

Despite KT's presence on the floor and the attention he gets in the pick and roll as of late, sweets is still capable of getting to the basket because he's quicker then the average guy his size. plus he gets fouled a lot, and like I said earlier, he a good rebouder ( above agerage for now). So yeah... he's declining minutes are baffle
ES
Rich
USA
11/25/2004  5:30 PM
Since TT isn't worth putting on the court right now, I want to see if JYD can play the SF. That opens up minutes for Sweetney at PF.

If JYD can't play SF, I would rather develop Sweetney than play JYD at PF.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/25/2004  6:38 PM
Nazr's improved play in the post along w/KT's midrange shotmaking & JYD's hustle & defense = less minutes for Sweets
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Rich
USA
11/25/2004  11:40 PM
Posted by TMS:

Nazr's improved play in the post along w/KT's midrange shotmaking & JYD's hustle & defense = less minutes for Sweets

For teams that are in Isiah's own words "rebuilding," that is a short-sighted and ill-conceived strategy.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/26/2004  12:12 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by TMS:

For teams that are in Isiah's own words "rebuilding," that is a short-sighted and ill-conceived strategy.

absolutley, unless sweetney is hurt he should be playing 20 minutes. i think we need to move JYD over to 3 a tad more here--hopefully moving TT to a 15 minute bench role to wake him up.

I like what Nazr has done and KT, they have taken advantage of the fact that there is really low level talent in the frontcourt for many teams. the fact is patrick would foul out either one of them before the first half.

As far as Sweetney though, yes 20 minutes unless something is radically wrong with his pklay--heck weve let TT play ad nauseum and for the most part Sweetney has played well. Not as well as I want him to, i think he needs to get down to 250, but nonetheless he needs to play. we are NOt good enough to leave him on the bench

lastly i will say i am open to improving the team via a Sweetney trade. it would have to be the right one and it would have to involve another YOUNG player coming back. Im not saying I WANt to trade him, but if something presents itself--i.e Nene? Im thinking id rather go that way and go with size and use our draft pick on another 4-5.
RIP Crushalot😞
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/26/2004  9:09 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by TMS:

it's the way it is though, like it or not...i said all along that not trading KT would hurt Sweetney's development...that's the price you pay for having KT playing well & JYD bringing his usual hustle & effort onto the floor...Sweetney will only flourish in NY if they open up minutes for him & give him a bigger role in the offense...as it is right now, he's a glorified Malik Rose coming off the bench as a role player...i hope that was worth a #9 overall pick in the draft for some of you because that's about what his role is going to be as long as he's stuck behind veterans fighting for playing time.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
No role for Sweetney?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy