[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[GT 3/3/24 ESPN/MSG 7PM] Knicks at Cavs
Author Thread
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/3/2024  11:01 PM
MS wrote:Nothing wrong with wanting Thibs to reduce minutes.

Hart is averaging 43 minutes over the past 7 games. Against the warriors no one on GS played more than 32 minutes Josh Hart played 47. That game wasn’t close, when games are over you get your guys rest, especially this season.

Tonight was a great win and a gritty performance, has to be a way to stagger the guys a bit going forward.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You're 100% right. I just think right now circumstances are preventing that from happening and the numbers we see aren't what they would be if this team was in a normal situation and knee jerk reactions to playing time when literally 25% of your team and 33% (not counting Brunson) of your normal rotation are hurt and another guy is kinda on a minutes restriction.

~You can't run from who you are.~
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/4/2024  4:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/4/2024  4:45 AM
joec32033 wrote:

Hart is averaging 43 minutes over the past 7 games. Against the warriors no one on GS played more than 32 minutes Josh Hart played 47. That game wasn’t close, when games are over you get your guys rest, especially this season.

Tonight was a great win and a gritty performance, has to be a way to stagger the guys a bit going forward.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. You're 100% right. I just think right now circumstances are preventing that from happening and the numbers we see aren't what they would be if this team was in a normal situation and knee jerk reactions to playing time when literally 25% of your team and 33% (not counting Brunson) of your normal rotation are hurt and another guy is kinda on a minutes restriction.

Thats why its a good idea not to keep players in the game well past the point where they're needed to secure a win. Save it for when the extra minutes are really needed, like now.

Ive never seen a coach who trusts his bench less than Thibs. If Thibs had the hardware to back up that strategy, I doubt it would be written about, discussed as much as it has over the years.

Its the polar opposite of how Pops has done it, before the league cracked down. With Thibs, any pressure would have to come from the FO, but Thibs coaches like he has a blank check.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

3/4/2024  5:26 AM
Nalod wrote:Brunson had a collision to set off the nerve thing.
I guess that tank is off?
The blame is off?
The "Lets trade up thing and get x player"?
Or Lets see whats up before we get the pitchfork and torches and hunt down Thibs?

LOL. It's crazy reading the meltdowns after the fact. WTF does Thibs have to do to get some love here? The man is a basketball monk and all these armchair generals are second guessing his every move.

gradyandrew

3/4/2024  5:40 AM
joec32033 wrote:

If Randle and OG play 36 minutes each and MR 25, that's 40% of the minutes per game. It's kind of weird to say Thibs doesn't trust the bench when all the guys playing are coming off the bench if the Knicks are healthy.

I think there's a big misunderstanding about injuries. Injuries aren't a freak occurrence but a natural part of the game when you have guys playing in the NBA. Manu averaged 66 games per season on 25 minutes a game. The NBA recently released a report on load management that was pretty skeptical about it working. Injuries are gonna happen and teams just have to hope they get lucky and avoid them in the playoffs.

KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

3/4/2024  7:42 AM
gradyandrew wrote:
Nalod wrote:Brunson had a collision to set off the nerve thing.
I guess that tank is off?
The blame is off?
The "Lets trade up thing and get x player"?
Or Lets see whats up before we get the pitchfork and torches and hunt down Thibs?

LOL. It's crazy reading the meltdowns after the fact. WTF does Thibs have to do to get some love here? The man is a basketball monk and all these armchair generals are second guessing his every move.

It’s what they do.

KnickDanger

3/4/2024  7:47 AM
Clean wrote:On another note, McBride might be a better player than Grimes. Coming into this year I would have never thought that. He has flaws but the growth this year has been awesome to see.

I was thinking about the keep Grimes or Deuce thread (I think it was) - pretty sure I would have said Grimes if I had to choose. Both should/could have plenty of career ahead of them, but for the time being Miles shows fire and progress that Grimey doesn’t seem to possess.
gradyandrew

3/4/2024  7:55 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
Clean wrote:On another note, McBride might be a better player than Grimes. Coming into this year I would have never thought that. He has flaws but the growth this year has been awesome to see.

I was thinking about the keep Grimes or Deuce thread (I think it was) - pretty sure I would have said Grimes if I had to choose. Both should/could have plenty of career ahead of them, but for the time being Miles shows fire and progress that Grimey doesn’t seem to possess.

Deuce has gone from 30% on 3's to 40%. I don't think anyone ever saw that coming, except NYKmentality! Just kidding- it was Tom Thibodeau.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

3/4/2024  8:02 AM
this thibs talk is crazy, any coach is going to have to play guys big minutes if you're missing 3-4 starters every night. As for last night, probably best W of the season. we needed that game.
KnickDanger

3/4/2024  8:20 AM
nycericanguy wrote:this thibs talk is crazy, any coach is going to have to play guys big minutes if you're missing 3-4 starters every night. As for last night, probably best W of the season. we needed that game.

I wonder if there would have been criticism if Thibs put say JHart and Deuce on minutes restrictions and we lost the game. I’m not saying Thibs should be free from criticism, but the nature of so much of it is…how do you say it? Cockamamie. Brunson, Randle, OG, Mitch are not out because of minutes played, but due to physical impact. It sucks, I know some people really need a scapegoat to biotch about, but perhaps be real about it.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

3/4/2024  8:23 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:this thibs talk is crazy, any coach is going to have to play guys big minutes if you're missing 3-4 starters every night. As for last night, probably best W of the season. we needed that game.

I wonder if there would have been criticism if Thibs put say JHart and Deuce on minutes restrictions and we lost the game. I’m not saying Thibs should be free from criticism, but the nature of so much of it is…how do you say it? Cockamamie. Brunson, Randle, OG, Mitch are not out because of minutes played, but due to physical impact. It sucks, I know some people really need a scapegoat to biotch about, but perhaps be real about it.

the funny thing is Thibs would never get credit for us having been one of the healthiest teams in the league the previous 2+ seasons.

It only goes one way with him. The reality is Mitch has always been injury prone even playing just 24-26mpg. OG has always been injury prone as well.

Randle is really what has hurt us, but he's nearing 30 and unfortunately the injuries are getting more common now.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/4/2024  8:41 AM
KnickDanger wrote:

To the Thibian detractors, Thibs did not coach him to progress, he "Held him back".
One more time: Dueces assistant coach at WV after he was drafted told Macri in an off season interview that the plan was he'd sit for a time and learn. Deuce was young and was a prospect.
He got plenty of time to play and show his progress. When the time was right he was promoted and given an extension.
We don't know if it could have been done sooner.
Thibs could not execute what he needed from Obi or Grimes. Maybe if given more time?

Good point about Knicks being healthy the last few years.

Resting guys: Brunson had "Neck spasms" and say out vs Nola a few days ago. Could he have played? Maybe, Was he given night off on a back to back? Maybe.

blkexec
Member: #748
3/4/2024  8:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/4/2024  8:48 AM
gradyandrew wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:

Deuce has gone from 30% on 3's to 40%. I don't think anyone ever saw that coming, except NYKmentality! Just kidding- it was Tom Thibodeau.

Anyone who watched him in college saw it. He just needed to adjust to nba speed and the nba 3 pt line. And we knew with his defense, Thibs would find PT for him. It was only a matter of time. Glad he made it. If he was cut too early Im not sure he would’ve had an NBA career. Just a G Leaguer.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
KnickDanger

3/4/2024  8:57 AM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:

To the Thibian detractors, Thibs did not coach him to progress, he "Held him back".
One more time: Dueces assistant coach at WV after he was drafted told Macri in an off season interview that the plan was he'd sit for a time and learn. Deuce was young and was a prospect.
He got plenty of time to play and show his progress. When the time was right he was promoted and given an extension.
We don't know if it could have been done sooner.
Thibs could not execute what he needed from Obi or Grimes. Maybe if given more time?

Good point about Knicks being healthy the last few years.

Resting guys: Brunson had "Neck spasms" and say out vs Nola a few days ago. Could he have played? Maybe, Was he given night off on a back to back? Maybe.

Yes Thibs has rested Brunson. He has been managing IHart’s minutes with the Achilles - 23 last night. Obviously gargantuan minutes were played by JHart and Deuce. I wonder if they had a problem with that.

Looking for a scapegoat beyond the crazy amount of injuries seems like letting off steam at best. At worst, well never mind. Should the coach not try to win games? Is it some sort of Bizarro World tank? Hoping our players get back in time and then we can get crazy.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/4/2024  9:07 AM
blkexec wrote:
gradyandrew wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:

Anyone who watched him in college saw it. He just needed to adjust to nba speed and the nba 3 pt line. And we knew with his defense, Thibs would find PT for him. It was only a matter of time. Glad he made it. If he was cut too early Im not sure he would’ve had an NBA career. Just a G Leaguer.

Good take. When he started to tear up the G-League Last year (year 2) he was starting to get it. as said, his defense got him drafted and on the bench in the NBA. Baling in the gleague then not in the big show demonstrated the gap. He could do it but vs. bigger and faster competition. Some of us here call that "needed confidence". Thats always part of it but we know the gap is larger than one would imagine. Its why he was taken in the 2nd round. It was said by that coach if he stayed he'd have elevated to 1st round but it was decided he'd learn instead on the bench.
Perhaps this too was discussed in his interview with knicks predraft as to what they thought of him, this potential and the path. If so perhaps this was something he'd have to agree to. You want a team to commit via a draft pick and give time. A free agent if not drafted can not always go to plan.

Lets look at Alonzo trier. Undrafted and it was clear he had NBA talent. He got a two year deal and it all as going great until Thibs was hired.
Trier never got another chance in the NBA. Big mystery.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/4/2024  9:26 AM
another great win. Another fantastic coaching job. I like the Thib's crying. We literally have a top 5 coach and fans just cant stop crying it's pretty funny. Glad Thib's didnt ruin Brunson's season and it's just a basketball injury
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/4/2024  9:37 AM
Josh Hart is an animal. Playing huge minutes and hustling on every play and muscling bigger players. I dont think we appreciate this guys mentality/will to win as much as we should. It would help if he was hitting more shots, but I think you can count one hand the amount of players in the NBA that contribute to so many facets of the game the way he does. The guy is literally everywhere , all the time. Just an insane swiss army knife with a never ending motor. The thing about him is he can play in nearly ANY lineup.
KnickDanger

3/4/2024  9:58 AM
Regardless of where we stand on Thibs, minutes, trades, the FO - or Randle - perhaps we can sigh relief if not fully exhale on the news that Brunson is likely okay.
GustavBahler

3/4/2024  9:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/4/2024  10:06 AM
If I didnt know that it was Thibs being venerated the way he has been. I would have mistakenly thought you were describing Larry Brown. Not as Knicks coach, careerwise.

The way some posters describe Thibs being up there with elite coaches who Thibs cant touch in the playoffs. No chips in 15 years, No EC championships, no ECF since his only visit in 2010. I'm not getting the vigorous defense of a coach who has never made waves in the playoffs, beyond his rookie season as head coach.

So when posters (right or wrong) criticize Thibs, I dont get the indignation. Larry Brown is the coach you're describing not Thibs. He coached up players to the Finals, to championships. Not just coach of the year awards.

GustavBahler

3/4/2024  10:00 AM
VDesai wrote:Josh Hart is an animal. Playing huge minutes and hustling on every play and muscling bigger players. I dont think we appreciate this guys mentality/will to win as much as we should. It would help if he was hitting more shots, but I think you can count one hand the amount of players in the NBA that contribute to so many facets of the game the way he does. The guy is literally everywhere , all the time. Just an insane swiss army knife with a never ending motor. The thing about him is he can play in nearly ANY lineup.

Heart and Soul of the team

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

3/4/2024  10:31 AM
gradyandrew wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:

A lot of people saw that coming. He's been a good shooter at every level his whole life, was adjusting to the league, and getting extremely inconsistent minutes. The fans that thought he wouldn't starting making wide open 3s with a role are the ones that really make me scratch my head

[GT 3/3/24 ESPN/MSG 7PM] Knicks at Cavs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy