[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[GT Knicks vs Warriors] 2/29/24 TNT 7:30PM
Author Thread
EwingPSD
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9129

3/1/2024  10:59 AM
DLeethal wrote:There are certain realities when you have your heavy hitters miss months of action. One of those is you might not get optimal seeding. First round will be a dog fight no matter where we land, the seeding is largely a mirage.

Seeding is a total crap shoot. Stay out of the play-n and let the chips fall where they may

AUTOADVERT
NYStateOfMind
Member: #5741
USA
3/1/2024  11:07 AM
Below .500 is fine, but with a better coach that knows how to adjust, has offensive schemes, this team would be doing better. Thibs is stubborn, only cares about defense, runs guys into the ground in games we probably won't win, and they still lose with no adjustments. These 1st & 3rd quarters make my eyes bleed and lose games. You can't start a game with no pts in the first 5 minutes. Call timeouts, make substitutions, do something. But no, do the same thing over and over again = insanity. He is afraid to bring in scorers because they don't play Thibs D, yet the guys he keeps in(ex. Sims) can't stop anything in the paint, make poor d switches, and usually have no offense creativity in their game. It sucks when in the first 5 mins you know the game is lost short-handed with Thibs, like last night.

Since Feb 3, the team is 3-8, probably get spanked by the Cavs, so 3-9, so that is winning 25% of games. That is Charlotte Hornet level play. Even injured, this team is better than that. Waiting for the calvary to arrive the past month and probably 2 more weeks, without making adjustments to win now, is loser ball, not smart coaching. With the trade deadline additions, this team should still be closer to 40-45% win rate.

Someone else said Thibs wants players to settle into their roles until stars return, again loser ball. You play and adjust with what you have to win now. Not lose a lot of ground, then hope for that 4 game weak opponent stretch to boost the team record. What will winning those 4 weaker games really mean when the teams in front of us win 3 or 4 games too? Miami is going to pass us, Cav have cooled a bit, but still 60% win rate. Bucks have won 4 in a row. Philly without their top star are playing just as poorly as us but we have our top star. Magic & Pacers are hot and always give us problems with their pace.

In a season where for a moment the 2 seed seemed possible, more realistically, 3rd or 4th to me, this team is now looking like a 6th or 7th seed come playoff time. And that is if we don't get bad news on one or more injured Knicks. Bye bye home court advantage round 1. This isn't good and I'm pissed with Thibs stubbornness and excuses. Do better, now!

DLeethal wrote:This is a below .500 team without OG and Randle and Mitch. We sustained some good play off our positive momentum when those guys first went down for a few games. Eventually the magic of the 14-2 run wore off and they are playing like they should with DDV as your #2 scorer and Josh Hart playing 40+ mins a game.

90% of the teams in the league if you removed their #2 and #3 players and starting C would become a below .500 team. We are no different.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/1/2024  11:10 AM
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Burks and Bogs both shot 40 percent plus from 3 in Detroit. Stands to reason that once the starters get back, and they settle into their bench roles, that they will contribute more.

Makes no sense to complain about their performance this early, under these conditions. The best 2nd unit playmaker is Josh Hart.

Burks just played 11 min and Bogs 18 min, both with the bench. What game did you just watch? Neither one of them had any impact in their bench roles.

I watched a game with no playmaker in the second unit to get them easy looks. Whats your theory as to why their numbers have dropped? They're both very good shooters careerwise Got to be a better explanation than they just suck.

Look at Bogs numbers before tonight. They were damned good. Patience!

I couldn't tell you. I have never watched Detroit play. I do see one stat you left out though. What did they have, ?8 wins? before the trade.

Its a very young, inexperienced, team. Cade Cunningham has been top 3 in turnovers since drafted. But they still shot 40 percent. On TNT they said the young players credited Burks for keeping their heads up through all the losing.

The goal should be to get the starters back. Burks and Bogs figure out their roles with all the injured players returning. They have to get used to their tendencies.

Chemistry is why the starting unit was playing so well, post-OG trade, and chemistry is what will get the second unit humming. Mitch will be getting us more second and third chance scoring opportunities. Randle will get the defense paying less attention to Burks and/or Bogs, when they play together.

OG is going to get the ball movement back to where it was, which means better looks. I thought the ball movement would improve after the trade, but not this much with OG on the court.

NYStateOfMind
USA
3/1/2024  11:21 AM
Agreed, good take.

Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
VDesai wrote:Knicks offensive possessions are a joke

Agree on this - basically Brunson gets over 1/2 court ——- gets trapped and retreats to 1.2 court line pounding ball……eventually swings ball to,open Hart 30 feet out who dribbles into hand-off for Donte off balance 3 from 25 feet with 1 second in the clock.

Exaggerated- sure but still a mess.

The Knicks offense was phenomenal when our guys were healthy. Of course this current teams offense is gonna suck. We are missing our #2 and #3 scorers.

It’s the lack of flow and penetration attempts - we all get that we are missing some talent but even at full strength we are an extreme iso heavy team.

Hopefully we can get back to the look we had post OG trade but this type of stuff is fickle and not guaranteed to instantly return to that chemistry.

Try watching Toronto. The ball movement and spacing are excellent. Missing talent hasn't caused their offensive game plan to break down at all. For whatever reason, Brunson looks like he is trying to do it all himself. Someone asked somewhere else what RJ's numbers are looking great again. You just don't see him going 1 on 5 in Toronto. They are running all kinds of motions to free players up. I just don't think 'next man up' works with us because we don't really have a team offensive game plan. It looks like it is just individual 'smart' players reading the game and freelancing.

You can win with talent, but when your talent is all on the bench it gets ugly. We are playing ugly basketball. We can't get stops and every offensive possession is a rock fight. If we had a 'system' to fall back on and discipline to stick with it we'd be better at the plug and play thing. Right now, all we can do is hope we can hang around the play in 7-8th seed until we get or starters back. We are 1 loss from the 7th seed. That loss is likely coming on Sunday. 3 of our next 4 games after that are against teams that are 1 game behind us in the standings.

It's going to get uglier before it gets any better. I'd expect Thibs to run the players he trusts into the ground over this stretch. It's the time of the year where everyone is looking at the standings and positioning themselves for the playoff run.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

3/1/2024  11:25 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Burks and Bogs both shot 40 percent plus from 3 in Detroit. Stands to reason that once the starters get back, and they settle into their bench roles, that they will contribute more.

Makes no sense to complain about their performance this early, under these conditions. The best 2nd unit playmaker is Josh Hart.

Burks just played 11 min and Bogs 18 min, both with the bench. What game did you just watch? Neither one of them had any impact in their bench roles.

I watched a game with no playmaker in the second unit to get them easy looks. Whats your theory as to why their numbers have dropped? They're both very good shooters careerwise Got to be a better explanation than they just suck.

I couldn't tell you. I have never watched Detroit play. I do see one stat you left out though. What did they have, ?8 wins? before the trade.

Its a very young, inexperienced, team. Cade Cunningham has been top 3 in turnovers since drafted. But they still shot 40 percent. On TNT they said the young players credited Burks for keeping their heads up through all the losing.

The goal should be to get the starters back. Burks and Bogs figure out their roles with all the injured players returning. They have to get used to their tendencies.

Chemistry is why the starting unit was playing so well, post-OG trade, and chemistry is what will get the second unit humming. Mitch will be getting us more second and third chance scoring opportunities. Randle will get the defense paying less attention to Burks and/or Bogs, when they play together.

OG is going to get the ball movement back to where it was, which means better looks. I thought the ball movement would improve after the trade, but not this much with OG on the court.

Maybe they are just a bad fit? OG was able to plug and play because he fits this team and compliments the rest of the starters. Grimes was another complimentary player. He did the dirty work and could be streaky and make some shots. He seemed to heat up in the 4th Q. Burks and Bogs, eh...sure. I hope they figure it out. They aren't going to all of a sudden start playing defense. Sometimes shooters make shots and sometimes they don't. Defensive minded players always bring it. This was a bad trade.

1) trading productive youth for vets on the wrong side of 30
2) trading for one dimensional players who are a liability on defense

DLeethal
Member: #9126

3/1/2024  11:35 AM
NYStateOfMind wrote:Agreed, good take.

Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Agree on this - basically Brunson gets over 1/2 court ——- gets trapped and retreats to 1.2 court line pounding ball……eventually swings ball to,open Hart 30 feet out who dribbles into hand-off for Donte off balance 3 from 25 feet with 1 second in the clock.

The Knicks offense was phenomenal when our guys were healthy. Of course this current teams offense is gonna suck. We are missing our #2 and #3 scorers.

It’s the lack of flow and penetration attempts - we all get that we are missing some talent but even at full strength we are an extreme iso heavy team.

Hopefully we can get back to the look we had post OG trade but this type of stuff is fickle and not guaranteed to instantly return to that chemistry.

Try watching Toronto. The ball movement and spacing are excellent. Missing talent hasn't caused their offensive game plan to break down at all. For whatever reason, Brunson looks like he is trying to do it all himself. Someone asked somewhere else what RJ's numbers are looking great again. You just don't see him going 1 on 5 in Toronto. They are running all kinds of motions to free players up. I just don't think 'next man up' works with us because we don't really have a team offensive game plan. It looks like it is just individual 'smart' players reading the game and freelancing.

You can win with talent, but when your talent is all on the bench it gets ugly. We are playing ugly basketball. We can't get stops and every offensive possession is a rock fight. If we had a 'system' to fall back on and discipline to stick with it we'd be better at the plug and play thing. Right now, all we can do is hope we can hang around the play in 7-8th seed until we get or starters back. We are 1 loss from the 7th seed. That loss is likely coming on Sunday. 3 of our next 4 games after that are against teams that are 1 game behind us in the standings.

It's going to get uglier before it gets any better. I'd expect Thibs to run the players he trusts into the ground over this stretch. It's the time of the year where everyone is looking at the standings and positioning themselves for the playoff run.

Yep, we should be much more like Toronto and their bottom 10 offense. Thibs slander is beyond ridiculous at this point.

DLeethal

3/1/2024  11:36 AM
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Maybe they are just a bad fit? OG was able to plug and play because he fits this team and compliments the rest of the starters. Grimes was another complimentary player. He did the dirty work and could be streaky and make some shots. He seemed to heat up in the 4th Q. Burks and Bogs, eh...sure. I hope they figure it out. They aren't going to all of a sudden start playing defense. Sometimes shooters make shots and sometimes they don't. Defensive minded players always bring it. This was a bad trade.

The trade will ultimately be judged when this team is whole and goes for a playoff run. Everything else is just prisoner of the moment noise.

DLeethal

3/1/2024  11:37 AM
EwingPSD wrote:
Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I have been critical of how they hold the ball and rely on team's hard doubling etc. but I can't agree with how you are saying look at the Raptors they have similar talent and the ball moves more. Even if you don't think the talent is very good it is very different. 4 out of 5 starters on the Raptors can dribble, shoot 3s, and play make at least a little in PnR. You don't need great talent to share the ball more but you do need dependable passers, some shooting, and ball handling. Q, Barrett, GT, and SB just have more on ball skill then our current rotations.

Yea all 4 guys would be the second best offensive player in this current rotation of ours.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/1/2024  12:03 PM
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Definitely a trade off when giving up young players for vets pushing 30. With Grimes, I'm guessing the FO is in win now mode, and Grimes isnt on that timetable. In spite of their liabilities, Burks and Bogs have shown they can contribute to a deep playoff run. Grimes hasnt. His game isnt there yet, wont be for another season or two, if it does happen.

You're right about their defense. Mitch or iHart in the second unit with less of a load to carry. Josh back to the bench, the defense will pick up. I'm not concerned about how they're playing with the rotation out of whack. Its about Bogs and Burks figuring things out on offense, going into the playoffs. I like our chances if they're chipping in when it really matters.

NYStateOfMind
USA
3/1/2024  12:09 PM
The truth is not slander. Thibs has coached poorly, he makes poor choices, has no real o schemes, relies on defense and fit athletes to cover he deficiencies even in overextended minutes, but over using those remaining higher IQ tough players has lead to JB & iHart playing hurt out of a now necessity, and if he isn't careful, putting Hart in the same boat. Hart missed late FTs the other night because he was gassed. There is no plan on offense, give it to JB or pass the ball around run the clock, then let Hart or Precious take an outside shot, that isn't their game nor winning basketball. Thibs would be better changing to PnR with kickouts to Donte as an offensive plan, than this mess. Teams want Precious, Hart, and a tired DDV shooting perimeter shots. Brunson's #pt game is off. Ihart isn't the same right now, Hart energy isn't enough.

Thibs doesn't have this team or what remains of it ready to start either half. None of this is slander, mostly proven facts with some opinion added for others contexts. Having high IQ players without an o scheme isn't enough, but when healthy, it still looks pretty. We have an D identity, establish an O one too, then plug and play works better when injuries happen. Lets say JR, Mitch, & OG return, added to a hobbled, tired, and battered JB, iHart, & Hart, how long will that hold out in the playoffs? Donte and Precious have never played these minutes. This isn't a plan for long-term success, which is typical Thibs, not slander.

DLeethal wrote:

Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Yep, we should be much more like Toronto and their bottom 10 offense. Thibs slander is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2024  12:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/1/2024  12:19 PM
Pages and pages and not a single word about the HOF guys that plays for Warriors(4 of them) their HOF coach, their young players and they are ALL healthy.
That GSW team is a better roster and executed very well than the one we put on the floor.
Knicks were defeated by a talented team that executed better than we did.
Some of you rarely post on wins but love to go off on losses.
Thibs plays the guys he thinks can execute. If they don't, they don't. Then we lose.
blkexec
Member: #748
3/1/2024  12:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/1/2024  12:24 PM
Knicks role players are non factors on offense, which makes us easy to guard. We traded our depth and youths for veteran playoffs pieces like OG, Burks, Bog. When all 3 are not bringing it, what’s left? A bunch of non factors on offense which makes us very easy to guard. And puts more stress on the great offensive players (JB / DDV) and playmakers (Josh Hart). We on 3 wheels and Thibs will run those 3 wheels into the ground.

This is now a playoff team that needs the starters healthy. When they not healthy, we are below average.

I’m ok with the trade because we not winning a chip this year regardless and this trade sets us up for the playoffs (when healthy) and in the future. So we good. Just have to be realistic where we are now. Makes loses like this less painful.

Hold your heads up!

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/1/2024  12:26 PM
DLeethal wrote:

Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

it's a good indication that a fan is totally out of touch, so it does add some context. Looking forward to the "a better coach would have used Jacob Toppin" narratives soon.

Lucky for us the FO and head coach are in quite tight

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
cooch2584
Member: #1187

3/1/2024  12:42 PM
Nalod wrote:Pages and pages and not a single word about the HOF guys that plays for Warriors(4 of them) their HOF coach, their young players and they are ALL healthy.
That GSW team is a better roster and executed very well than the one we put on the floor.
Thibs plays the guys he thinks can execute. If they don't, they don't. Then we lose.

Did any of us REALLY expect to win against the warriors? they hung with them and im happy. also the bench players that are playing now arent used to othe minutes they are getting and thats why they are gassed in the 4 qt.
NYStateOfMind
USA
3/1/2024  12:56 PM
I believe the point isn't that GS isn't a solid team, but that the Knicks, even short-handed aren't playing to their potential. GS gives up 117 pts a game, there is no excuse for the Knicks to start the game with no pts for almost 5 minutes, 2nd worst start this season in the NBA. And poor starts for halves, they scored 43 pts in 1st and 3rd, then 56 for 2nd & 4th. if they had 56 both of those quarter splits that is 112 pts and then the game is at least winnable. Even professional analyst simply say they have to play better with what they currently have. That is all a true Knicks fan wants. Doing so would have won another 2 or 3 games during this stretch.

Even with a good game plan, I still expected this team to fall to a streaking Warriors team, but for the game to be over in the first 5 mins is disheartening and disappointing. They started the game down 14 points and lost by 11, so the Knicks outscored(barely) the GS team for 43 minutes. People have a right to be upset and question Thibs. I do praise the players, even Burks for giving their all for 48 mins. However, they aren't being put in their best usage, even short-handed.

Also, how hard would it have been, even today, to temporarily pick up a real PG for the 2nd unit? I don't know the full story nor status of G Hill or J Wall(just examples), but if either can play, at worse are either worse than PG Burks running the 2nd unit? Deuce is a SG. They've known about this issue prior to injuries.

Nalod wrote:Pages and pages and not a single word about the HOF guys that plays for Warriors(4 of them) their HOF coach, their young players and they are ALL healthy.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2024  1:57 PM
Says it all for me:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYStateOfMind
USA
3/1/2024  2:01 PM
AMEN. Dirty and unnecessary hit. Jalen said it like it was. His message was to Paul & the refs, love it.

martin wrote:Says it all for me:

DLeethal

3/1/2024  2:03 PM
NYStateOfMind wrote:The truth is not slander. Thibs has coached poorly, he makes poor choices, has no real o schemes, relies on defense and fit athletes to cover he deficiencies even in overextended minutes, but over using those remaining higher IQ tough players has lead to JB & iHart playing hurt out of a now necessity, and if he isn't careful, putting Hart in the same boat. Hart missed late FTs the other night because he was gassed. There is no plan on offense, give it to JB or pass the ball around run the clock, then let Hart or Precious take an outside shot, that isn't their game nor winning basketball. Thibs would be better changing to PnR with kickouts to Donte as an offensive plan, than this mess. Teams want Precious, Hart, and a tired DDV shooting perimeter shots. Brunson's #pt game is off. Ihart isn't the same right now, Hart energy isn't enough.

Thibs doesn't have this team or what remains of it ready to start either half. None of this is slander, mostly proven facts with some opinion added for others contexts. Having high IQ players without an o scheme isn't enough, but when healthy, it still looks pretty. We have an D identity, establish an O one too, then plug and play works better when injuries happen. Lets say JR, Mitch, & OG return, added to a hobbled, tired, and battered JB, iHart, & Hart, how long will that hold out in the playoffs? Donte and Precious have never played these minutes. This isn't a plan for long-term success, which is typical Thibs, not slander.

DLeethal wrote:

Rookie wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Thibs has been a top 5 coach since he's been there. Facts bear that out. All teams go through losing streaks. Miami lost like 7 in a row with the best coach in the league. Dumping on Thibs now while his team is ravaged with injuries is lame. We were a top 5 offense and top 5 defense when the team was at 95% health.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/1/2024  2:09 PM
martin wrote:Says it all for me:

"I got All State, mother ****er"

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2024  2:32 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Definitely a trade off when giving up young players for vets pushing 30. With Grimes, I'm guessing the FO is in win now mode, and Grimes isnt on that timetable. In spite of their liabilities, Burks and Bogs have shown they can contribute to a deep playoff run. Grimes hasnt. His game isnt there yet, wont be for another season or two, if it does happen.

You're right about their defense. Mitch or iHart in the second unit with less of a load to carry. Josh back to the bench, the defense will pick up. I'm not concerned about how they're playing with the rotation out of whack. Its about Bogs and Burks figuring things out on offense, going into the playoffs. I like our chances if they're chipping in when it really matters.

I have to tell you, I think it may just be as simple as DDV is playing really well and with a contact that is to delight for. Grimes just happen to be gravvy that was moved for pieces that had different value.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
[GT Knicks vs Warriors] 2/29/24 TNT 7:30PM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy