[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/22/2024  6:50 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:From the Post..

Knicks as quickly as possible, but the All-Star forward alarmingly said Wednesday that he still has not ruled out season-ending surgery on his dislocated right shoulder.

Speaking publicly for the first time since suffering the injury Jan. 27 against the Heat, Randle said Wednesday that he’s feeling “better and stronger” with the aim of returning before the season ends.

But he also acknowledged more than once that surgery on his non-shooting shoulder remains a possibility.

Randle can play a role on a contender. But he's logged a lot of minutes. The injuries are becoming more frequent.

Counting on Randle to play at this level for a long time is a mistake IMO. Not as the second option. Randle only knows one speed, and that eventually takes its toll

Either draft an eventual replacement. Or sign or trade for one. I wouldnt count on Jules as far as availability beyond two years, not without a plan B.

I wouldn’t say anything about his injury history because he’s still one of the most durable players in the league. He has zero chronic concerns. He can play in the post where he can maintain longevity longer. He’s essentially built like lebron. Obviously he needs to prove himself in the playoffs as a number 2 option, but I doubt anyone is too concerned about his body breaking down or anything like that.

I was gonna post a thread asking if Randles durability is a bit of a hologram, but discussing it here is as good as any...

It isn't that Randle doesn't get injured. He gets injured, he just plays through it. I think that is part of the problem with some of his inconsitencies. He's a work horse just being on the court, but due to his style injuries affect him on the court more than most. 80% of Randle is not like 80% of Jokic or Paul George or KAT. all are much less physical players and their less physical style lends itself to being more favorable to play through injuries.

This isn't a bash Randle post either. It isn't questioning his toughness or wanting him traded. It just is putting out there that he is sitting out with injuries a bit more (which is ok-in a catch 22 it might lead to him getting less periphery injuries that slow him down), but I think his durability advantage seems to be diminishing.

Agree, injuries around 30 are more impactful than around 20. Randle lost a step after his ankle surgery, which isnt surprising. We'll see what happens with Randle's shoulder.

Randle was hobbled in last year's playoffs and had surgery at the end of the season. Had a possibly season ending injury, not long after this season started.

Knixkik is right that they arent from chronic soreness, something that preceded it. They are from a ten year vet who has played bully ball for most of his career. Agree that its not a good call to expect Randle to keep dominating the way he has before, year after year like LeBron. He has his own team of doctors/scientists lol. Kawhi Leonard might be a better comp.

I wouldn’t say Randle lost a step. Many are saying this has been his best season. For Randle it’s all about making adjustments on the fly. Paying him an extension however is a concern. I wonder if in a year we can grab Bridges from Brooklyn if he demands only NY. Or will they say you can be traded anywhere else. Maybe they take Randle in that deal out of desperation to stay relevant. Or maybe we can help them lean into a rebuild. A lot would have to go right for that scenario to unfold so I’m just assuming we need to dig into what is already working.

The Knicks would never do that. Randle is MUCH more valuable to the team than a player like Mikal, all things being equal.

Mikal can force his way to Knicks or the Nets can bite the bullet of getting very little in return if they don't play it right.

You might be right. Knicks probably wouldn’t do that deal. I think there’s more of a chance a couple of years from now that they would consider but they ultimately want to keep Randle here for as long as possible I think.

AUTOADVERT
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

2/23/2024  11:33 AM
EwingPSD wrote:
DLeethal wrote:I don't see a lost step at all. I think Randle played close to the best ball of his life this year. And he was also settling for jumpers less and less in favor of taking it inside and getting pounded. Definitely not the looks of a guy who is scaling his game back due to injuries.

That said, we need to think long and hard about giving him a supermax at age 32 if we are not a top tier title contender. If you are a top tier contender you can afford to do things like that to keep your core intact. But if you are not over the hump yet, giving out a deal like that could prevent you from ever getting over it. We have time to see what happens on that front though, not a decision that needs to be made this year.

I agreed. I don't think he has lost a step at all. He also had 62 dunks last season- by far the most he's had since he was in New Orleans. That said I disagree with the idea that they have time to decide of what to do with him moving forward. He will opt out after next season and will be due a BIG raise. As an expiring, I don't think he has the same trade value- especially if there are injury or post-season questions in addition to him getting older. If the Knicks were going to move on from Randle they should have moved on from Randle. Unless he part of one of a star player trade where someone is forcing their way out, it seems to me like the choices will be to re-sign him, accept a trade package that could blow up in your face, or let him walk for nothing. With the team clearly in win-now mode, I think they have Randle penciled in long-term unless Joel forces his way out or something.

If they lock up Precious long term they can begin to platoon those 2 more as time goes on and Randle gets older as well. But I still think Randle will be dangled in blockbusters over the years for guys like Giannis, Embiid, KAT, and even Mitchell. He's kind of the "Derozan" we have in a "Kawhi" trade, for a team that is trading a disgruntled star but wants an all star to continue to be competitive.

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy