[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/21/2024  2:40 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:This thread is where it's at!

IMO the Knicks have so many good avenues ahead of them. Outside of injury...

They are legit ECF contenders.

They can sit and wait on the next best trade, they don't have to pull it off any time soon. All adult trade partners only.

They can massively upgrade immediately if a trade opportunity presents itself.

They are in the position to nab a CP3-like PG for off bench this summer, something will shake out this offseason with a former all-star or that quality player who is looking for one last dance.

They can draft based not so much on need but long term value. And they have a ton of time and latitude to convince a player or players to sit tights in draft and land with Knicks. Witness IQ, Grimes, RJ, Mitch, iHart, even Jalen/Randle to an extent.... Their dev and farm system is legit to outsiders. Maybe not Miami legit, but legit legit.

Even the current guys that are on the roster, the whole team has serious untapped potential. Witness the full of January, all without Mitch. There was no doubt a bit of honeymoon but one can't say it was anywhere near fluke.

I'm still of the opinion iHart has another offensive level and now has the cutters, shooters necessary to unlock that dude at the top of the key. If iHart gets his 3point shot straightened out, WATCH OUT.

I hope McBride can make the dribble-decision jump as he has with his 3point shooting confidence.

Knicks era about it get REALLY fun.

Biggest challenge the Knicks have is the tax aprons. They will have to commit sooner rather than later but with the draft assets they won’t be as limited as the other contenders so we have to feel great about that. I really feel like this team is almost ready to compete for a long time. Along with OKC and Boston I think their window is as wide open as anyone.

I have to tell you, I have not seen 1 projected salary outline in relation to tax aprons that includes Randle, OG, Brunson, iHart out for 3-5 years and what that would total.

Knicks have 1 more full season before they need to sort that out?

Interesting exercise though.

I put the totals for next years projection into the Achiuwa thread. Based on my math the Knicks wouldn’t be able to avoid the first apron if they sign all 4 major free agents. They would have to pick between Achiuwa and Burks and even then it’s really tight. Ultimately they can just decide to go over but not sure what their appetite for that is. Knicks biggest advantage over other contenders is flexibility until Brunson and Randle extensions kick in.

I'll try to find, thanks

Here was my very loose math. Page 4 of the Achiuwa thread

Randle, Brunson, Mitch, DDV, hart, Bogs, Deuce and Sims total approx 122M for next year. Add OG starting at 30 and Ihart at 13 comes to 165M. Luxury tax will be in the 170M range. Let’s say they sign Achiuwa for a contract starting at 6M. That’s 171M. Just over the tax. First apron will be 7M over that. 2 first round picks will be about 5M total. Toppin at the minimum puts them right up to the first apron for 14 contracts. It will be tight. Just have to see what they are willing to do. They can likely avoid the second apron no matter what but they may want some more wiggle room.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  2:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  2:50 PM
I’m not too educated yet the on penalties for the aprons. The luxury tax is no big deal. Dolan will pay it. But with the new tax aprons, it becomes more of a strategy of team building than of financial savings. We know the starting 5 plus Mitch, hart, Deuce, and Bogs are priorities. All 9 are either locked into deals or in OG and Iharts case are longterm fixtures. Sims is a cheap 3rd center and it would be pointless to let him go. So given those 10 they have 4 more spots they must fill. At least 1 will be a rookie, maybe more. Cheap contracts. Toppin may stick because he’s proving himself in the gleague, has the right agent representation, and can he signed for a minimum, team-friendly contract. He’s a cheap and easy piece to fill out the roster. Arcidiacono is a higher level minimum contract but they can easily bring him back too. But they have to ask themselves, are Achiuwa and Burks worth any sort of limitations due to the first (and eventually second) aprons. Would love to keep both, especially Achiuwa given his age. But we are talking, at best, 2 backend rotation players when it’s all said and done. A major trade totally changes a lot here, but I’m just talking about this as if there’s no big trade coming this summer and Knicks are good running it back given the team shake ups this season.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

2/21/2024  3:33 PM
martin wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Agree with the optimism - interesting to me that Knicks are in this spot despite mostly crapping out on lottery picks (pre Leon mostly) and a couple of bad signings. The braintrust has shown an affinity for the long view and an ability to pivot and learn from mistakes.

We tanked the wrong way and didn't trade Randle!

Well and that of course - I thought it went without saying
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/21/2024  3:49 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
2/21/2024  3:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  3:54 PM
These guys seem to do a really good job with cap stuff but don’t know how accurate everything is:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2025/

A real-time look at the 2025-26 salary cap totals for each NBA team, including estimated cap space.

Cap Maximum: $155,100,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $188,447,000

A real-time look at the 2026-27 salary cap totals for each NBA team, including estimated cap space.

Cap Maximum: $170,610,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $207,292,000

I think second apron is $17M over luxury?

Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  3:57 PM
martin wrote:

This is give or take what I wrote out. Luxury tax will be in the 170-172 range. First apron will be 7 mil over that.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/21/2024  5:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  5:44 PM
From the Post..

Knicks as quickly as possible, but the All-Star forward alarmingly said Wednesday that he still has not ruled out season-ending surgery on his dislocated right shoulder.

Speaking publicly for the first time since suffering the injury Jan. 27 against the Heat, Randle said Wednesday that he’s feeling “better and stronger” with the aim of returning before the season ends.

But he also acknowledged more than once that surgery on his non-shooting shoulder remains a possibility.

Randle can play a role on a contender. But he's logged a lot of minutes. The injuries are becoming more frequent.

Counting on Randle to play at this level for a long time is a mistake IMO. Not as the second option. Randle only knows one speed, and that eventually takes its toll

Either draft an eventual replacement. Or sign or trade for one. I wouldnt count on Jules as far as availability beyond two years, not without a plan B.

Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  6:10 PM
GustavBahler wrote:From the Post..

Knicks as quickly as possible, but the All-Star forward alarmingly said Wednesday that he still has not ruled out season-ending surgery on his dislocated right shoulder.

Speaking publicly for the first time since suffering the injury Jan. 27 against the Heat, Randle said Wednesday that he’s feeling “better and stronger” with the aim of returning before the season ends.

But he also acknowledged more than once that surgery on his non-shooting shoulder remains a possibility.

Randle can play a role on a contender. But he's logged a lot of minutes. The injuries are becoming more frequent.

Counting on Randle to play at this level for a long time is a mistake IMO. Not as the second option. Randle only knows one speed, and that eventually takes its toll

Either draft an eventual replacement. Or sign or trade for one. I wouldnt count on Jules as far as availability beyond two years, not without a plan B.

I wouldn’t say anything about his injury history because he’s still one of the most durable players in the league. He has zero chronic concerns. He can play in the post where he can maintain longevity longer. He’s essentially built like lebron. Obviously he needs to prove himself in the playoffs as a number 2 option, but I doubt anyone is too concerned about his body breaking down or anything like that.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/22/2024  1:25 AM
Knixkik wrote:

I wouldn’t say anything about his injury history because he’s still one of the most durable players in the league. He has zero chronic concerns. He can play in the post where he can maintain longevity longer. He’s essentially built like lebron. Obviously he needs to prove himself in the playoffs as a number 2 option, but I doubt anyone is too concerned about his body breaking down or anything like that.

I was gonna post a thread asking if Randles durability is a bit of a hologram, but discussing it here is as good as any...

It isn't that Randle doesn't get injured. He gets injured, he just plays through it. I think that is part of the problem with some of his inconsitencies. He's a work horse just being on the court, but due to his style injuries affect him on the court more than most. 80% of Randle is not like 80% of Jokic or Paul George or KAT. all are much less physical players and their less physical style lends itself to being more favorable to play through injuries.

This isn't a bash Randle post either. It isn't questioning his toughness or wanting him traded. It just is putting out there that he is sitting out with injuries a bit more (which is ok-in a catch 22 it might lead to him getting less periphery injuries that slow him down), but I think his durability advantage seems to be diminishing.

~You can't run from who you are.~
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/22/2024  7:50 AM
Randle's shoulder injury is a bit of a fluke and not a sign that Randle gets injured. He was, as I recall, just trying to fly a bit too high with emphasis- his eyes thinking he was Michael Jordan, the reality just a bit different and he ended up hurt.

Hopefully the shoulder heals and in the back of his head, he has a new regulator that says - no, Randle, you are an earth bound bull that needs to stay near the court, and you can not fly.

Knixkik
USA
2/22/2024  7:59 AM
franco12 wrote:Randle's shoulder injury is a bit of a fluke and not a sign that Randle gets injured. He was, as I recall, just trying to fly a bit too high with emphasis- his eyes thinking he was Michael Jordan, the reality just a bit different and he ended up hurt.

Hopefully the shoulder heals and in the back of his head, he has a new regulator that says - no, Randle, you are an earth bound bull that needs to stay near the court, and you can not fly.

I think all of his injuries are fluke type injuries and not repeat injuries or wear and tear. At least conclusively. As far as health he’s as good as you will get in the nba over 82 game seasons in this era.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/22/2024  8:26 AM
Don't forget a trove of first rounders too.

Team is in good shape around its core. However we need a new contract for OG and Hartenstein and probably could use some extensions for Brunson and Randle. Definitely one for Brunson.

GustavBahler

2/22/2024  8:33 AM
joec32033 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I was gonna post a thread asking if Randles durability is a bit of a hologram, but discussing it here is as good as any...

It isn't that Randle doesn't get injured. He gets injured, he just plays through it. I think that is part of the problem with some of his inconsitencies. He's a work horse just being on the court, but due to his style injuries affect him on the court more than most. 80% of Randle is not like 80% of Jokic or Paul George or KAT. all are much less physical players and their less physical style lends itself to being more favorable to play through injuries.

This isn't a bash Randle post either. It isn't questioning his toughness or wanting him traded. It just is putting out there that he is sitting out with injuries a bit more (which is ok-in a catch 22 it might lead to him getting less periphery injuries that slow him down), but I think his durability advantage seems to be diminishing.

Agree, injuries around 30 are more impactful than around 20. Randle lost a step after his ankle surgery, which isnt surprising. We'll see what happens with Randle's shoulder.

Randle was hobbled in last year's playoffs and had surgery at the end of the season. Had a possibly season ending injury, not long after this season started.

Knixkik is right that they arent from chronic soreness, something that preceded it. They are from a ten year vet who has played bully ball for most of his career. Agree that its not a good call to expect Randle to keep dominating the way he has before, year after year like LeBron. He has his own team of doctors/scientists lol. Kawhi Leonard might be a better comp.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

2/22/2024  1:50 PM
They definitely have a chance to be atop the conference for the next half decade. The biggest decision will be whether or not they want to supermax 32 y/o Randle. But they have a chance to be like the 90s Knicks in terms of being in the mix for a long time. Right now it's hard to not feel they may be like them in terms of not being able to get over the hump, just due to being one step below elite top tier talent, but they will have a puncher's chance every year with this group.
Knixkik
USA
2/22/2024  1:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/22/2024  1:58 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Agree, injuries around 30 are more impactful than around 20. Randle lost a step after his ankle surgery, which isnt surprising. We'll see what happens with Randle's shoulder.

Randle was hobbled in last year's playoffs and had surgery at the end of the season. Had a possibly season ending injury, not long after this season started.

Knixkik is right that they arent from chronic soreness, something that preceded it. They are from a ten year vet who has played bully ball for most of his career. Agree that its not a good call to expect Randle to keep dominating the way he has before, year after year like LeBron. He has his own team of doctors/scientists lol. Kawhi Leonard might be a better comp.

I wouldn’t say Randle lost a step. Many are saying this has been his best season. For Randle it’s all about making adjustments on the fly. Paying him an extension however is a concern. I wonder if in a year we can grab Bridges from Brooklyn if he demands only NY. Or will they say you can be traded anywhere else. Maybe they take Randle in that deal out of desperation to stay relevant. Or maybe we can help them lean into a rebuild. A lot would have to go right for that scenario to unfold so I’m just assuming we need to dig into what is already working.

martin
USA
2/22/2024  2:12 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I wouldn’t say Randle lost a step. Many are saying this has been his best season. For Randle it’s all about making adjustments on the fly. Paying him an extension however is a concern. I wonder if in a year we can grab Bridges from Brooklyn if he demands only NY. Or will they say you can be traded anywhere else. Maybe they take Randle in that deal out of desperation to stay relevant. Or maybe we can help them lean into a rebuild. A lot would have to go right for that scenario to unfold so I’m just assuming we need to dig into what is already working.

The Knicks would never do that. Randle is MUCH more valuable to the team than a player like Mikal, all things being equal.

Mikal can force his way to Knicks or the Nets can bite the bullet of getting very little in return if they don't play it right.

GustavBahler

2/22/2024  3:29 PM
Knixkik wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I definitely see a lost step. As Ive been saying for a while now, it looks like its helping Randle do a better job of playing under control. But it does speak to injuries to long time vets as opposed to some kid fresh out of college.

Randle might show that burst again after time off, but we'll see if it lasts. Jules should still be able to put up good numbers regardless. But I believe its a mistake to rely on Randle as the number two option beyond two more seasons, without developing his successor. If the FO's goal is to keep Randle for the forseeable future.

If we're going to use some of those picks, I wouldnt mind trading up for a good PF prospect who Thibs likes.

I'm happy with the starting lineup, my concern is about a big contract for OG, and he cant stay on the court. I know a lot of posters want to complete the Nova reunion. But not at the expense of making the team too top heavy, and I believe adding Bridges will do that.

We add a first rate scorer, who is good enough to start, willing to come off the bench. Can play D as well. We'll be good enough to beat Boston.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

2/22/2024  3:39 PM
I don't see a lost step at all. I think Randle played close to the best ball of his life this year. And he was also settling for jumpers less and less in favor of taking it inside and getting pounded. Definitely not the looks of a guy who is scaling his game back due to injuries.

That said, we need to think long and hard about giving him a supermax at age 32 if we are not a top tier title contender. If you are a top tier contender you can afford to do things like that to keep your core intact. But if you are not over the hump yet, giving out a deal like that could prevent you from ever getting over it. We have time to see what happens on that front though, not a decision that needs to be made this year.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/22/2024  4:55 PM
DLeethal wrote:I don't see a lost step at all. I think Randle played close to the best ball of his life this year. And he was also settling for jumpers less and less in favor of taking it inside and getting pounded. Definitely not the looks of a guy who is scaling his game back due to injuries.

That said, we need to think long and hard about giving him a supermax at age 32 if we are not a top tier title contender. If you are a top tier contender you can afford to do things like that to keep your core intact. But if you are not over the hump yet, giving out a deal like that could prevent you from ever getting over it. We have time to see what happens on that front though, not a decision that needs to be made this year.

cause there hasnt been one. Last we saw Randle he was playing point forward and utterly destroying everyone he played against. Some posters have special feelings with some players.

Last time we saw Randle play he was putting up 25/8/5 and the Knicks were what? 12-2?

He DEF lost a step lol

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

2/22/2024  4:57 PM
DLeethal wrote:I don't see a lost step at all. I think Randle played close to the best ball of his life this year. And he was also settling for jumpers less and less in favor of taking it inside and getting pounded. Definitely not the looks of a guy who is scaling his game back due to injuries.

I agreed. I don't think he has lost a step at all. He also had 62 dunks last season- by far the most he's had since he was in New Orleans. That said I disagree with the idea that they have time to decide of what to do with him moving forward. He will opt out after next season and will be due a BIG raise. As an expiring, I don't think he has the same trade value- especially if there are injury or post-season questions in addition to him getting older. If the Knicks were going to move on from Randle they should have moved on from Randle. Unless he part of one of a star player trade where someone is forcing their way out, it seems to me like the choices will be to re-sign him, accept a trade package that could blow up in your face, or let him walk for nothing. With the team clearly in win-now mode, I think they have Randle penciled in long-term unless Joel forces his way out or something.

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy