[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/21/2024  11:49 AM
I put their ages because only Randle is anywhere near 30. And I think the other 4 still have another level to reach in their careers, then it’s about maintaining that level for as long as possible. We are seeing it with Brunson and DiVincenzo this year. Hartenstein too. Maybe Mitch comes back in and takes over again. I consider he and Hartenstein a wash overall but feel like Hartenstein offers more balance to the starting lineup. Either way they can split the 48 minutes and leave it at that. If a player like D Mitchell, or Bridges or even Brandon Ingram become available, fine, put them in there for DDV and bring him off the bench. But I don’t think they HAVE to do that. Imagine the chemistry this group can still develop over time. They played a handful of games together and clicked immediately. The bench is where the additional improvements can be made to get us over the hump. Bogs and Burks were great short term acquisitions. Obviously neither are longterm. Knicks have one of the centers plus Hart as long term bench pieces. Maybe deuce too. But they need another. Trying to find the next Quickley might be the answer. Providence’s Devin Carter is an elite defender, improved shooter, and a shot creator that can score in bunches. He likely won’t go lottery because he’s not a pure PG and sort of lacking a position to be a starting guard. Sound familiar ? That was most of Quickleys rep coming out of Kentucky. But Carter could develop into that 2-way combo guard we need off of the bench as a longterm fixture. Just a thought. I’m very excited about this group. I welcome an upgrade if it ever comes available but I don’t necessarily think we need it. What we need is this dominant 5 to have real time together to gel, Brunson to be the dominant force he’s become, particularly in the 4th quarter, Randle to adjust to the playoffs, and the rest to fill in the gaps we have become accustomed to. Essentially be stars in their roles which they have all showed. Then trying to fill the rest of the roster gaps as needed to get over the top. I don’t think we are that far off, even if it’s not this season.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/21/2024  12:03 PM
Longer term dudes: McBride (23) Josh Hart (28) Precious (24) Mitch (25)
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
2/21/2024  12:03 PM
Draft Picks: all of them and some from other teams too
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/21/2024  12:25 PM
The KAT rumors are never going to go away. 28 years old
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

2/21/2024  12:34 PM
also Brunson, DDV, Ihart... very few NBA miles on them compared to most players their age.
martin
USA
2/21/2024  1:03 PM
This thread is where it's at!

IMO the Knicks have so many good avenues ahead of them. Outside of injury...

They are legit ECF contenders.

They can sit and wait on the next best trade, they don't have to pull it off any time soon. All adult trade partners only.

They can massively upgrade immediately if a trade opportunity presents itself.

They are in the position to nab a CP3-like PG for off bench this summer, something will shake out this offseason with a former all-star or that quality player who is looking for one last dance.

They can draft based not so much on need but long term value. And they have a ton of time and latitude to convince a player or players to sit tights in draft and land with Knicks. Witness IQ, Grimes, RJ, Mitch, iHart, even Jalen/Randle to an extent.... Their dev and farm system is legit to outsiders. Maybe not Miami legit, but legit legit.

Even the current guys that are on the roster, the whole team has serious untapped potential. Witness the full of January, all without Mitch. There was no doubt a bit of honeymoon but one can't say it was anywhere near fluke.

I'm still of the opinion iHart has another offensive level and now has the cutters, shooters necessary to unlock that dude at the top of the key. If iHart gets his 3point shot straightened out, WATCH OUT.

I hope McBride can make the dribble-decision jump as he has with his 3point shooting confidence.

Knicks era about it get REALLY fun.

Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  1:22 PM
nycericanguy wrote:also Brunson, DDV, Ihart... very few NBA miles on them compared to most players their age.

Very good point. This is spot on.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/21/2024  1:29 PM
It looks like we are confident that we can re-sign iHart and OG who are FA’s at the end of the season.
Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  1:29 PM
martin wrote:This thread is where it's at!

They can sit and wait on the next best trade, they don't have to pull it off any time soon. All adult trade partners only.

They are in the position to nab a CP3-like PG for off bench this summer, something will shake out this offseason with a former all-star or that quality player who is looking for one last dance.

They can draft based not so much on need but long term value. And they have a ton of time and latitude to convince a player or players to sit tights in draft and land with Knicks. Witness IQ, Grimes, RJ, Mitch, iHart, even Jalen/Randle to an extent.... Their dev and farm system is legit to outsiders. Maybe not Miami legit, but legit legit.

Even the current guys that are on the roster, the whole team has serious untapped potential. Witness the full of January, all without Mitch. There was no doubt a bit of honeymoon but one can't say it was anywhere near fluke.

I'm still of the opinion iHart has another offensive level and now has the cutters, shooters necessary to unlock that dude at the top of the key. If iHart gets his 3point shot straightened out, WATCH OUT.

I hope McBride can make the dribble-decision jump as he has with his 3point shooting confidence.

Biggest challenge the Knicks have is the tax aprons. They will have to commit sooner rather than later but with the draft assets they won’t be as limited as the other contenders so we have to feel great about that. I really feel like this team is almost ready to compete for a long time. Along with OKC and Boston I think their window is as wide open as anyone.

Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  1:30 PM
Rookie wrote:It looks like we are confident that we can re-sign iHart and OG who are FA’s at the end of the season.

I’m not too concerned about OG and Ihart. The real questions are around Burks and Achiuwa. They are nice luxuries to have. But the front office will need to decide if we need both of these players.

martin
USA
2/21/2024  1:34 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Biggest challenge the Knicks have is the tax aprons. They will have to commit sooner rather than later but with the draft assets they won’t be as limited as the other contenders so we have to feel great about that. I really feel like this team is almost ready to compete for a long time. Along with OKC and Boston I think their window is as wide open as anyone.

I have to tell you, I have not seen 1 projected salary outline in relation to tax aprons that includes Randle, OG, Brunson, iHart out for 3-5 years and what that would total.

Knicks have 1 more full season before they need to sort that out?

Interesting exercise though.

martin
USA
2/21/2024  1:35 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Rookie wrote:It looks like we are confident that we can re-sign iHart and OG who are FA’s at the end of the season.

I’m not too concerned about OG and Ihart. The real questions are around Burks and Achiuwa. They are nice luxuries to have. But the front office will need to decide if we need both of these players.

Why? Seems like they have enough flexibility to keep both.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

2/21/2024  1:37 PM
i mean the apron isn't some hard cap that stops you from doing anything and cannot be touched. it will limit us but if we reach the apron with a 10 deep contending team its not a big deal.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/21/2024  1:39 PM
I dig this thread and its all good stuff.
Change is the one constant and while we'd like to assume we can keep this core together a while the reality is it will "Evolve".
We thought RJ and IQ were long term here as well.
It was pretty evident (especially in hindsight) RJ and Randle could not fully achieve full ceiling together. And "BAM", Both ere made gone so fast one fell swoop!

I don't Know how or if Leon and Co. will use the assets to get to the next level.
What level is that? That team in January before Randle got hurt was as good as any for a short time.

martin
USA
2/21/2024  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  1:45 PM
Nalod wrote:I dig this thread and its all good stuff.
Change is the one constant and while we'd like to assume we can keep this core together a while the reality is it will "Evolve".
We thought RJ and IQ were long term here as well.
It was pretty evident (especially in hindsight) RJ and Randle could not fully achieve full ceiling together. And "BAM", Both ere made gone so fast one fell swoop!

I don't Know how or if Leon and Co. will use the assets to get to the next level.
What level is that? That team in January before Randle got hurt was as good as any for a short time.

We kemosabe?!?!

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

2/21/2024  1:45 PM
Agree with the optimism - interesting to me that Knicks are in this spot despite mostly crapping out on lottery picks (pre Leon mostly) and a couple of bad signings. The braintrust has shown an affinity for the long view and an ability to pivot and learn from mistakes.
martin
USA
2/21/2024  1:46 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Agree with the optimism - interesting to me that Knicks are in this spot despite mostly crapping out on lottery picks (pre Leon mostly) and a couple of bad signings. The braintrust has shown an affinity for the long view and an ability to pivot and learn from mistakes.

We tanked the wrong way and didn't trade Randle!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/21/2024  1:56 PM
martin wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Agree with the optimism - interesting to me that Knicks are in this spot despite mostly crapping out on lottery picks (pre Leon mostly) and a couple of bad signings. The braintrust has shown an affinity for the long view and an ability to pivot and learn from mistakes.

We tanked the wrong way and didn't trade Randle!

Hahaha, yeah.... 😢

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
2/21/2024  2:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  2:23 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I have to tell you, I have not seen 1 projected salary outline in relation to tax aprons that includes Randle, OG, Brunson, iHart out for 3-5 years and what that would total.

I put the totals for next years projection into the Achiuwa thread. Based on my math the Knicks wouldn’t be able to avoid the first apron if they sign all 4 major free agents. They would have to pick between Achiuwa and Burks and even then it’s really tight. Ultimately they can just decide to go over but not sure what their appetite for that is. Knicks biggest advantage over other contenders is flexibility until Brunson and Randle extensions kick in.

martin
USA
2/21/2024  2:33 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I put the totals for next years projection into the Achiuwa thread. Based on my math the Knicks wouldn’t be able to avoid the first apron if they sign all 4 major free agents. They would have to pick between Achiuwa and Burks and even then it’s really tight. Ultimately they can just decide to go over but not sure what their appetite for that is. Knicks biggest advantage over other contenders is flexibility until Brunson and Randle extensions kick in.

I'll try to find, thanks

Knicks can dominate with starting 5 of Brunson (27), DDV (27), OG (26), Randle (29), and Hartenstein (25) for a long time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy