[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Used car question if permitted
Author Thread
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

2/20/2024  8:29 PM
Mission accomplished, purchased daughter a white 2016 Honda Civic touring with 55 k miles, no damage on car fax, independent mechanic verified in condition. Thanks you guys for your assistance buying used cars are tough. Dealers lie about inventory and price. The ordeal is over. Thanks for your advice everyone
AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
2/20/2024  8:41 PM
Congrats. Buying a car is stressful.

For the back seat...

I guess you can print that out.

Alpha1971

2/20/2024  8:52 PM
ToddTT wrote:Congrats. Buying a car is stressful.

For the back seat...

I guess you can print that out.

Yes sir 👍👍👍

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/20/2024  9:56 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:Mission accomplished, purchased daughter a white 2016 Honda Civic touring with 55 k miles, no damage on car fax, independent mechanic verified in condition. Thanks you guys for your assistance buying used cars are tough. Dealers lie about inventory and price. The ordeal is over. Thanks for your advice everyone

Good choice. Congrats!
Safe wishes!

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
2/21/2024  12:25 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:Mission accomplished, purchased daughter a white 2016 Honda Civic touring with 55 k miles, no damage on car fax, independent mechanic verified in condition. Thanks you guys for your assistance buying used cars are tough. Dealers lie about inventory and price. The ordeal is over. Thanks for your advice everyone

Great car. I have a 2019 civic. My niece has a 2017 civic. Good choice and welcome to the Honda club.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

2/21/2024  3:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  3:09 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:2005 Infiniti FX45 with 95 k miles. I might get this for me for fun anyone have any experience with that vehicle price is 8500

I remember how different it looked from other SUVS back then. The biggest drawback I remember from car reviews was the ride, which was very stiff. Considered getting one myself. Might not be what you want for NYC. If you do buy it, I would consider buying smaller rims so you can put bigger tires on them, which should improve the ride a little.

Cooch was right that for about 20k you can get a new vehicle with a warranty, or a slightly used car with most of its warranty remaining. Which will save you biggly on repairs, the first few years of ownership.

This vehicles V8 has me tempted. This for me not my daughter. Might be my hobby car and I will update the radio and add like " Tesla style screens ". Drive for pleasure with this one which I have never done.

Id get the suspension checked out first. If its spent most of its time in a big city, I'd pass. Like blkexec said, try a warm weather state. Get some new struts as well.

A car I think would be fun to restore, fix up, would be an early 2000s Lexus GS400. Its got a V-8, and I think they still look good. The dash is unique. Nicer ride, better handling.

I bought a 89 Lexus ES-250 at the grand Marshall auction in College Point Queens, NY for $600 in 2003. It had 165k mileage. I spent about $2k restoring it then put another 20,000 miles on it. The only reason I had to trash the car was I got deployed to Iraq and no one was around to start the engine while I was gone so it rotted

The car just in saved airfare alone paid for itself. I was doing training in Virginia at the time and I would use the car to drive back and forth between Virginia and NYC on the weekends for 5 months

Alpha1971

2/21/2024  3:21 AM
Buying a used car at least for a reliable and well maintained vehicle was very time consuming and frustrating. While having the benefits of resources like Car Fax and search engines to locate cars is useful those resources can be manipulated Four times I drive to dealerships to find a car they listed. Four times I called and was assured the desired vehicle was in stock before making the drive. Four times I made it and was told " Car must have been just sold, or it's in our incoming inventory "or some other excuse. I finally just said f it went to a Honda dealer and said show me what you have and they explained what they had and after letting me test drive like 3 vehicles, the manager told his employee to surprise me with a car that was at an other lot some time away from the dealership and had the salesmen me to take it from Yonkers to the Bronx for my mechanic to look it over. The Internet allows for lots of cat fishing, bait and switch, and price lies. I'm sure I over paid for the vehicle I got maybe by a few thousand, in a perfect world I would have paid less. But the entire process of buying the vehicle is so frustrating and you endure so much BS, that you just want it to end. At least the price of the vehicle was transparent and listed on the website. Dealerships some of them list a price " Internet special " and when you arrive they say ";Yeah it will be more then that ". It's like dating this whole process. Thank God I no longer have to date or buy a used car anymore. I enjoyed taking cars with you guys. Maybe you guys can have threads about a vehicle or experience you have had driving that car to a Knicks game or something .
Alpha1971

2/21/2024  4:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  4:18 AM
Cars are like woman " The inside matter more then the outside ". Young men and old, if you pick a car or a female for how their appearance makes you feel at the moment you will may choose one that in a few years will make you miserable. Choose wisely and go for what matters in the inside. But with that said, Todd please keep the pics of cheerleaders coming. Cause sometimes it's fun to look at other cars and woman now and then for a cheap thrill that never goes old.
Alpha1971

2/21/2024  4:29 AM
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:2005 Infiniti FX45 with 95 k miles. I might get this for me for fun anyone have any experience with that vehicle price is 8500

I remember how different it looked from other SUVS back then. The biggest drawback I remember from car reviews was the ride, which was very stiff. Considered getting one myself. Might not be what you want for NYC. If you do buy it, I would consider buying smaller rims so you can put bigger tires on them, which should improve the ride a little.

Cooch was right that for about 20k you can get a new vehicle with a warranty, or a slightly used car with most of its warranty remaining. Which will save you biggly on repairs, the first few years of ownership.

This vehicles V8 has me tempted. This for me not my daughter. Might be my hobby car and I will update the radio and add like " Tesla style screens ". Drive for pleasure with this one which I have never done.

Id get the suspension checked out first. If its spent most of its time in a big city, I'd pass. Like blkexec said, try a warm weather state. Get some new struts as well.

A car I think would be fun to restore, fix up, would be an early 2000s Lexus GS400. Its got a V-8, and I think they still look good. The dash is unique. Nicer ride, better handling.

I bought a 89 Lexus ES-250 at the grand Marshall auction in College Point Queens, NY for $600 in 2003. It had 165k mileage. I spent about $2k restoring it then put another 20,000 miles on it. The only reason I had to trash the car was I got deployed to Iraq and no one was around to start the engine while I was gone so it rotted

The car just in saved airfare alone paid for itself. I was doing training in Virginia at the time and I would use the car to drive back and forth between Virginia and NYC on the weekends for 5 months

Great story ! BTW why does Lexus employ such a weird naming system for their cars, it's like Star Wars robots with the ES 309 and C3 P 0, R2D2.
Thanks for your service although you should never have been sent there. Any other car stories ?

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/21/2024  6:54 AM
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Wow Phil, glad you made it back!

Lexus, Toyotas, from 20, 30 yrs ago were built to last. They famously tried to trash a Toyota Hilux on 'Top Gear", but it kept running, they really tried.

Years back Toyota wanted to surpass GM as the biggest auto manufacturer in the world. They made the best cars in the world, but to be the biggest, quality was going to suffer. Not saying Toyotas arent good cars, but I read a lot more about quality issues than I used to back then.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
2/21/2024  7:18 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:Buying a used car at least for a reliable and well maintained vehicle was very time consuming and frustrating. While having the benefits of resources like Car Fax and search engines to locate cars is useful those resources can be manipulated Four times I drive to dealerships to find a car they listed. Four times I called and was assured the desired vehicle was in stock before making the drive. Four times I made it and was told " Car must have been just sold, or it's in our incoming inventory "or some other excuse. I finally just said f it went to a Honda dealer and said show me what you have and they explained what they had and after letting me test drive like 3 vehicles, the manager told his employee to surprise me with a car that was at an other lot some time away from the dealership and had the salesmen me to take it from Yonkers to the Bronx for my mechanic to look it over. The Internet allows for lots of cat fishing, bait and switch, and price lies. I'm sure I over paid for the vehicle I got maybe by a few thousand, in a perfect world I would have paid less. But the entire process of buying the vehicle is so frustrating and you endure so much BS, that you just want it to end. At least the price of the vehicle was transparent and listed on the website. Dealerships some of them list a price " Internet special " and when you arrive they say ";Yeah it will be more then that ". It's like dating this whole process. Thank God I no longer have to date or buy a used car anymore. I enjoyed taking cars with you guys. Maybe you guys can have threads about a vehicle or experience you have had driving that car to a Knicks game or something .

I sold a car about 5 years ago, and think I could have possibly gotten a couple thousand more for it if I was patient and the stars aligned.

In the end I priced it to be sold... and watched it drive away about a week later.

The time and aggravation saved was just awesome. And like our recent trades, I feel like it was a win-win for both parties.

Alpha1971

2/21/2024  8:57 AM
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Buying a used car at least for a reliable and well maintained vehicle was very time consuming and frustrating. While having the benefits of resources like Car Fax and search engines to locate cars is useful those resources can be manipulated Four times I drive to dealerships to find a car they listed. Four times I called and was assured the desired vehicle was in stock before making the drive. Four times I made it and was told " Car must have been just sold, or it's in our incoming inventory "or some other excuse. I finally just said f it went to a Honda dealer and said show me what you have and they explained what they had and after letting me test drive like 3 vehicles, the manager told his employee to surprise me with a car that was at an other lot some time away from the dealership and had the salesmen me to take it from Yonkers to the Bronx for my mechanic to look it over. The Internet allows for lots of cat fishing, bait and switch, and price lies. I'm sure I over paid for the vehicle I got maybe by a few thousand, in a perfect world I would have paid less. But the entire process of buying the vehicle is so frustrating and you endure so much BS, that you just want it to end. At least the price of the vehicle was transparent and listed on the website. Dealerships some of them list a price " Internet special " and when you arrive they say ";Yeah it will be more then that ". It's like dating this whole process. Thank God I no longer have to date or buy a used car anymore. I enjoyed taking cars with you guys. Maybe you guys can have threads about a vehicle or experience you have had driving that car to a Knicks game or something .

I sold a car about 5 years ago, and think I could have possibly gotten a couple thousand more for it if I was patient and the stars aligned.

In the end I priced it to be sold... and watched it drive away about a week later.

The time and aggravation saved was just awesome. And like our recent trades, I feel like it was a win-win for both parties.

Well said Todd. Peace of mind is worth at least 1 k.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/21/2024  10:31 AM

I'm begging you, try Car Max

you may be able to get it priced marginally better elsewhere, but you won't save much, and the experience at Car Max is not what you described above

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Alpha1971

2/21/2024  10:56 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:

I'm begging you, try Car Max

you may be able to get it priced marginally better elsewhere, but you won't save much, and the experience at Car Max is not what you described above

Alas, I am done. But for the future I will use it. Hoping to get my monies worth out of my Sonata and Civic, for at least 150 k miles. Then if I am able I will just gift them to a student or a single mom.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

2/21/2024  11:43 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Great story ! BTW why does Lexus employ such a weird naming system for their cars, it's like Star Wars robots with the ES 309 and C3 P 0, R2D2.
Thanks for your service although you should never have been sent there. Any other car stories ?

Nah no other car stories but I just bought a bmw and am planning on buying a Tesla soon

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/21/2024  1:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  4:34 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Lexus, Toyotas, from 20, 30 yrs ago were built to last. They famously tried to trash a Toyota Hilux on 'Top Gear", but it kept running, they really tried.

Years back Toyota wanted to surpass GM as the biggest auto manufacturer in the world. They made the best cars in the world, but to be the biggest, quality was going to suffer. Not saying Toyotas arent good cars, but I read a lot more about quality issues than I used to back then.

and yet if you look up JD power rankings and Consumer reports you find Lexus and Toyota still at the top.
Toyota and VW DOMINATE the landscape now as measured by Revenue trading placed depending on the years. GM got passed years ago.
Toyota is far better build than VW regarding dependability rankings.
With EV's gaining some tractions companies that are releasing new models are affected by quality issues given the new technology. Toyota is slow to enter this domain and perhaps why they are still at the top.

Lexus names? Easy:

UX, Urban Crossover
NX, Nimble Crossover
LS, Luxury Sedan
ES, Executive Sedan
F series: Fuji Raceway
RX, radiant Crossover
LC, Luxury Coupe
RC, Radiant Coupe (not confirmed_
GS, Grand sport

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
2/21/2024  9:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Nice. I used to watch them all the time and never saw this. Wow. Makes me proud to be the owner of 3 Toyotas.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Alpha1971

2/21/2024  9:07 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

and yet if you look up JD power rankings and Consumer reports you find Lexus and Toyota still at the top.
Toyota and VW DOMINATE the landscape now as measured by Revenue trading placed depending on the years. GM got passed years ago.
Toyota is far better build than VW regarding dependability rankings.
With EV's gaining some tractions companies that are releasing new models are affected by quality issues given the new technology. Toyota is slow to enter this domain and perhaps why they are still at the top.

Lexus names? Easy:

UX, Urban Crossover
NX, Nimble Crossover
LS, Luxury Sedan
ES, Executive Sedan
F series: Fuji Raceway
RX, radiant Crossover
LC, Luxury Coupe
RC, Radiant Coupe (not confirmed_
GS, Grand sport

What about some cars named - KRS 1, DMX, and RUN/DMC ?

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/21/2024  10:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2024  10:32 PM
My son has a 7 year old Tacoma and loves it. He’ll be looking for a tundra or a new sequioa soon. Wants a bit more luxury! He is out in Denver and hits the slopes frequently.
I drive a current LS500 Lexus a 2019 model I got three years old with 27k miles on it.
OT: Used car question if permitted

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy