[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Used car question if permitted
Author Thread
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

2/15/2024  10:25 PM
Anyone have a Honda HR-V ? Is it slow like slug ?
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/15/2024  11:01 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:To the mods, just want to ask the assembled Bros a question about purchasing a pre-owned car for my daughter in the 15-20 k range. The non sports forum is pretty dead. Feel free to close. But if you permit it the discussion and anyone wants to participate, I'd appreciate the input. I'm narrowing my search for a smaller easy to park, city driver, with all safety features to 2018 or later Mazda CX-5, CX -3, Mazda 3 sedan or Hatchback. Or a 2018 or 2019 Hyundai Kona with turbo engine. I've also considered a Subaru Impreza but have rear they are really sluggish and slow. Civics/ Accords/ Crvs and and Corollas/ Rav 4/ amd Camry also on the rader but for models at the same years they orten are more expensive and offer less at the same price point. I'm sure some of you have purchased your kids a vehicle or shopped used cars recently, help a brother out

Alpha, if there's one thing I know... your search begins and ends with Frassanito Jewelers.

What ?

YOUR SEARCH BEGINS AND ENDS WITH FRASSANITO JEWELERS.

Haha but what the heck does that mean ? What reference is that . Please elaborate

I’d love to explain, but I’m helping Jan with her scrap metal.

I don’t know how the hell she wound up with all this crap.

I may be glitching out.

Wtf, are these references I should get …. Am I living under a rock .?

I think Todd’s got some one toke **** but decided that’s just for amateurs

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
2/16/2024  12:40 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:To the mods, just want to ask the assembled Bros a question about purchasing a pre-owned car for my daughter in the 15-20 k range. The non sports forum is pretty dead. Feel free to close. But if you permit it the discussion and anyone wants to participate, I'd appreciate the input. I'm narrowing my search for a smaller easy to park, city driver, with all safety features to 2018 or later Mazda CX-5, CX -3, Mazda 3 sedan or Hatchback. Or a 2018 or 2019 Hyundai Kona with turbo engine. I've also considered a Subaru Impreza but have rear they are really sluggish and slow. Civics/ Accords/ Crvs and and Corollas/ Rav 4/ amd Camry also on the rader but for models at the same years they orten are more expensive and offer less at the same price point. I'm sure some of you have purchased your kids a vehicle or shopped used cars recently, help a brother out

Alpha, if there's one thing I know... your search begins and ends with Frassanito Jewelers.

What ?

Haha but what the heck does that mean ? What reference is that . Please elaborate

I may be glitching out.

We all live under a rock. It’s not just you trust me. 🤷

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
2/16/2024  5:13 PM
Rookie wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

What ?

I may be glitching out.

I think Todd’s got some one toke **** but decided that’s just for amateurs

Holy cow... Jan's scoring some premo **** with that scrap metal money!

Alpha1971

2/16/2024  11:27 PM
2005 Infiniti FX45 with 95 k miles. I might get this for me for fun anyone have any experience with that vehicle price is 8500
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/17/2024  8:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2024  8:34 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:2005 Infiniti FX45 with 95 k miles. I might get this for me for fun anyone have any experience with that vehicle price is 8500

I remember how different it looked from other SUVS back then. The biggest drawback I remember from car reviews was the ride, which was very stiff. Considered getting one myself. Might not be what you want for NYC. If you do buy it, I would consider buying smaller rims so you can put bigger tires on them, which should improve the ride a little.

Cooch was right that for about 20k you can get a new vehicle with a warranty, or a slightly used car with most of its warranty remaining. Which will save you biggly on repairs, the first few years of ownership.

Alpha1971

2/17/2024  8:38 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:2005 Infiniti FX45 with 95 k miles. I might get this for me for fun anyone have any experience with that vehicle price is 8500

I remember how different it looked from other SUVS back then. The biggest drawback I remember from car reviews was the ride, which was very stiff. Considered getting one myself. Might not be what you want for NYC. If you do buy it, I would consider buying smaller rims so you can put bigger tires on them, which should improve the ride a little.

Cooch was right that for about 20k you can get a new vehicle with a warranty, or a slightly used car with most of its warranty remaining. Which will save you biggly on repairs, the first few years of ownership.

This vehicles V8 has me tempted. This for me not my daughter. Might be my hobby car and I will update the radio and add like " Tesla style screens ". Drive for pleasure with this one which I have never done.

GustavBahler

2/17/2024  8:49 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

This vehicles V8 has me tempted. This for me not my daughter. Might be my hobby car and I will update the radio and add like " Tesla style screens ". Drive for pleasure with this one which I have never done.

Id get the suspension checked out first. If its spent most of its time in a big city, I'd pass. Like blkexec said, try a warm weather state. Get some new struts as well.

A car I think would be fun to restore, fix up, would be an early 2000s Lexus GS400. Its got a V-8, and I think they still look good. The dash is unique. Nicer ride, better handling.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/17/2024  9:41 AM
blkexec wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

I personally drive a pre owned Accord. I would encourage you to buy an Accord or Corolla at the price range. I think it with five or six years on it and 75k miles on it. I haven’t had to it in for any mechanic work. The only issue I had was needing to replace and battery. Similarly, it’s been paid off for a few years after posting the loan down, and I honestly think the car will make it 15 years - with little to no maintenance expense. You buy a cheaper car you will not have that experience

Similarly, I used to work at a bank in Potomac Maryland. That place is affluent, 14 banks at a suburban intersection. I used to work with the financial advisor and he came to me bitching that “that guy over there has millions in cash in his accounts, and he drives that old ass accord.” Me, yeah I lost out on commission, but lesson learned. I have a lot more money and haven’t had a legit car expense in years. I prefer Honda, but I feel the same way about Corollas, both are high quality and I’d rather target quality when buying used

Man I would love to talk to you about my car loans. I have several cars under water with high notes and looking to bring those notes down, even if it increases the loans. Does it make since to consolidate the cars into one bank loan? I’m going to meet with a financial advisor but just curious since you worked at a bank before. Again, it’s not the best approach but they are assets so I will keep for a while. The high note is simply reducing my monthly profit.

I believe everyone has an ultimateknicks email when you sign on. Probably a question for Martin. If I want to connect with someone in the UK community without blasting my personal information on the open forum, any advice? Almost afraid to ask cause I know a smart dry humor reply is coming.

Thanks

happy to discuss car loans.. just note that I switched careers in my mid 30s back in 2018, and now I'm an old crusty IT guy. that said you want anything super personal ask email the site and ask martin for my email

any car loan where you can't prepay has gotta go ASAP. most companies don't finance that way but some do. I think you should always explore refinancing but rates in general are up from when you likely signed and would need more specifics. Also, rates are higher the more deprecated the car, so i think you need to reach out to a few BRANCH MANAGERS and say you "want to meet with their BUSINESS BANKER." if you consolidate, you want to evaluate what they have to offer and you want the find the person that will jump for you when you need it be jumped

What I will say is in terms of debt repayment, I do have a lot of experience with that (irrespective of it being a car loan). I want you to look at your portfolio of loans, and if any are near repayment, repay that loan so you can get a win on the scoreboard. After that, get a list together, three columns, interest rate, term maturity date, loan value. Talk to 5 banks about consolidating. Compare EACH loan to what they give you. If it makes sense to consolidate, do it. If the bank is gonna bend you over for a loan, don't include it. Those loans you don't consolidate, repay them first, in order of highest interest to lowest. Retire all those loans, and then manage the big, consolidated loan.

I do not view consolidation as a cure all, unless your credit has drastically improved. What it helps with is managing your finances and reducing your administrative overhead.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/17/2024  9:51 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

I personally drive a pre owned Accord. I would encourage you to buy an Accord or Corolla at the price range. I think it with five or six years on it and 75k miles on it. I haven’t had to it in for any mechanic work. The only issue I had was needing to replace and battery. Similarly, it’s been paid off for a few years after posting the loan down, and I honestly think the car will make it 15 years - with little to no maintenance expense. You buy a cheaper car you will not have that experience

Similarly, I used to work at a bank in Potomac Maryland. That place is affluent, 14 banks at a suburban intersection. I used to work with the financial advisor and he came to me bitching that “that guy over there has millions in cash in his accounts, and he drives that old ass accord.” Me, yeah I lost out on commission, but lesson learned. I have a lot more money and haven’t had a legit car expense in years. I prefer Honda, but I feel the same way about Corollas, both are high quality and I’d rather target quality when buying used

Maybe I am exception, but I had bad experiences with Honda. First car ever was a Civic bought pre owned certified and it was a lemon previously involved ina severe accident. I found after the purchase a separate mechanic told me the suspension wouldn't align and said the frame was damaged. It was my first car and I was defrauded. They took it back and I got an Element ( It made Sense at the time ) and it was ok but I traded it in and it was having engine issues. I know it may be an isolated incident but it left a bad impression on me for the entire Honda brand.

two points here:

- go for Toyota then. If you feel like the other show is gonna drop by getting Honda, go Toyota. I will say now that I have owned a Honda, I think more people believe Toyota to be more reliable than Honda. I just always admired the Accord
- I like Car Max a lot. They will offer warranties through themselves after the manufacturer warranty runs out. I also know they have mechanics working on the vehicles. I think they are a great place to get a used car that isn't a lemon. No guarantees, but they make it easy to give the car back if you unfortunately got one. Then they are big enough to have what you want to. Lastly, they have locations everywhere, so you could in theory pay to have the car long-hauled to a location near you, and walk away from the car without ever buying. I think the best deals on cars that are 2-4 yeaars old, with 40-60k miles on them. You get a nice car with most of the depreciation already incurred

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/17/2024  12:36 PM

My mother wanted one. “Bionic Cheetah” is one review.
Very stiff ride.
We test drove it. For sure not for Mom then. I recall it was about the worst riding car I ever been in.
Yes, it was quick.

Notice in this forum not anyone even discussed Nissan/products products?

Alpha1971

2/17/2024  1:36 PM
Went to a local used car dealership and stumbled on a 2012 Buick Regal with 55 k miles for 9500. Read reviews of it and it's a reliable car
. My wife loved it for my daughter. Dealer made us an appointment for Saturday next week to test drive it as thy couldn't do it this morning due some circumstances. Attractive car and for 50,000 miles worth a shot seems perfect for my daughter and driving in the City. Just need to update the screens and add Android auto and Apple car play and add charging ports
GustavBahler

2/17/2024  7:54 PM
This is one of my dream cars. Looks like a modern version of a DB5, without leaning too hard on the past.

blkexec
2/17/2024  9:05 PM
GustavBahler wrote:This is one of my dream cars. Looks like a modern version of a DB5, without leaning too hard on the past.

😍

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/17/2024  10:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2024  10:13 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
blkexec wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

Man I would love to talk to you about my car loans. I have several cars under water with high notes and looking to bring those notes down, even if it increases the loans. Does it make since to consolidate the cars into one bank loan? I’m going to meet with a financial advisor but just curious since you worked at a bank before. Again, it’s not the best approach but they are assets so I will keep for a while. The high note is simply reducing my monthly profit.

I believe everyone has an ultimateknicks email when you sign on. Probably a question for Martin. If I want to connect with someone in the UK community without blasting my personal information on the open forum, any advice? Almost afraid to ask cause I know a smart dry humor reply is coming.

Thanks

happy to discuss car loans.. just note that I switched careers in my mid 30s back in 2018, and now I'm an old crusty IT guy. that said you want anything super personal ask email the site and ask martin for my email

any car loan where you can't prepay has gotta go ASAP. most companies don't finance that way but some do. I think you should always explore refinancing but rates in general are up from when you likely signed and would need more specifics. Also, rates are higher the more deprecated the car, so i think you need to reach out to a few BRANCH MANAGERS and say you "want to meet with their BUSINESS BANKER." if you consolidate, you want to evaluate what they have to offer and you want the find the person that will jump for you when you need it be jumped

What I will say is in terms of debt repayment, I do have a lot of experience with that (irrespective of it being a car loan). I want you to look at your portfolio of loans, and if any are near repayment, repay that loan so you can get a win on the scoreboard. After that, get a list together, three columns, interest rate, term maturity date, loan value. Talk to 5 banks about consolidating. Compare EACH loan to what they give you. If it makes sense to consolidate, do it. If the bank is gonna bend you over for a loan, don't include it. Those loans you don't consolidate, repay them first, in order of highest interest to lowest. Retire all those loans, and then manage the big, consolidated loan.

I do not view consolidation as a cure all, unless your credit has drastically improved. What it helps with is managing your finances and reducing your administrative overhead.

Been in the financial /investments industry for 20 plus years.
Never take loans out on depreciating assets is the rule. Makes no sense to do so.
Buy a used car that you can pay off quickly.
Save those loans for appreciating or income producing assets. Ones that have a gap margin of plus 3 minimum.
But Blkexec will extrapolate what I have to say.l to some other narrative..

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
blkexec
2/17/2024  10:40 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
blkexec wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

Thanks

Been in the financial /investments industry for 20 plus years.
Never take loans out on depreciating assets is the rule. Makes no sense to do so.
Buy a used car that you can pay off quickly.
Save those loans for appreciating or income producing assets. Ones that have a gap margin of plus 3 minimum.
But Blkexec will extrapolate what I have to say.l to some other narrative..

Lmao @Hof

Thanks fellas. Great response Supreme.

blkexec
2/17/2024  11:05 PM
HOF if you want my update take on deuce, since you mentioned him.

I’m very disappointed.

I thought he had better defense near the rim. I’m seeing dudes his height taking him in the paint. Great perimeter defender and shooter. Always had a solid mid range. But come on deuce, you better than that.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/18/2024  9:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/18/2024  9:02 AM
blkexec wrote:HOF if you want my update take on deuce, since you mentioned him.

I’m very disappointed.

I thought he had better defense near the rim. I’m seeing dudes his height taking him in the paint. Great perimeter defender and shooter. Always had a solid mid range. But come on deuce, you better than that.

Feel a players one on one defense has often been exaggerated on here. As is the actual impact.
Frank, Grimes, Deuce have been proclaimed by many as "guys who can stop anyone"
Claims that can be quickly proven wrong when you see guys like 31 year old, 6'1 TJ McConnell score with ease in one on one situations.
However, as you know, good TEAM defense is more about rotational quickness. Feel Deuce is excellent at knowing when to rotate to open players and does so at a high speed. Think that has been the issue with the addition of Boj and Burks. They are not as good with their rotations as the players we lost. Feel we should hopefully see a difference after the break.

I was wrong about Deuce. Never thought he could change his unaggressive nature and low confidence level. Which I feel is sometimes impossible to do. Saw it so many times while playing. Guys that could shoot lights out in practice but then got the shakes in a real game and could barely hit a layup. Deuce has done it. Seems much more confident and aggressive. Just a different mindset.
Now it's just about gaining more game experience and improving/adding skills. Which is the easier part. Glad for him and rooting for him. Unfortunately, the team seems to have higher goals and just added so called better more experienced players that will take his playing time.

Btw, forgot to mention to thread poster that he should also look at leasing an inexpensive car for his daughter. Will remove any future maintenance worries and if he is getting it just for college, he can get a 39 month lease to coincide exactly with the time frame. But of course, looking at low cost, low maintenance, high resale value vehicles is the best. Honda Civics are dependable, have good resale value and are cheap to fix. The good resale value will get him the most back if she moves onto another vehicle in a few years.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Alpha1971

2/19/2024  7:01 PM
Found a Nissan Maxima SV, 2017 with 70 k miles with a clean car fax. Going to checkout tomorrow after the test drive I plan to put down a 1,000 deposit and take it to a mechanic on Saturday if permitted. I seem to like polarizing car exteriors. I've had an Element, have a 2020 Sonata and looking at the last generation Maxima all cars many people find ugly. But I found them unique and interesting.
GustavBahler

2/19/2024  7:55 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:Found a Nissan Maxima SV, 2017 with 70 k miles with a clean car fax. Going to checkout tomorrow after the test drive I plan to put down a 1,000 deposit and take it to a mechanic on Saturday if permitted. I seem to like polarizing car exteriors. I've had an Element, have a 2020 Sonata and looking at the last generation Maxima all cars many people find ugly. But I found them unique and interesting.

My first car was a used Maxima. Punched above its weight. Maximas have been known for years for having one of the best V-6s out there. One drawback is the turning circle, its wide for that class. They do handle well. Hope a hwy test drive is doable.

OT: Used car question if permitted

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy