OT: Used car question if permitted
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

2/14/2024  2:22 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:I showed my daughter a picture of the Kona and she said ' NO '.

How old is daughter?
My son wanted a camaro. This was when he was 15. I said "of course you do, and when your buying you can get what you want", he said "Cool, give me the money and i'll work for the difference". I said "and the insurance, and the gas money, and the repairs?"
We then discussed how freakin awesome it is that we are buying him a car that fits "needs, not wants" and how many peers won't be getting any wheels? He was cool after that. I also explained that if he totaled the car and was lucky to not be hurt of course, the next would be beater. Not as punishment, but economic necessity.
ALso any points on driving record that increases his insurance he'd have to pay. Kid never had an accident or a ticket. The boy is still tight with his money today! LOL

They both did well and kept them about 8 years, thru high school, thru college and beyond! Mazda was 4cyl also a manual. Daughter really kept that car well. She was very easy on it. My sons subaru blew a second head gasket at 140k miles and we sold it.

22 is her age. For context I got my first car at 30. Grew up in the City only got a car when my daughter was little to take her places like amusement parks, doctors, and shopping in the area. Cars don’t thrill me like some of you car guys. Never had that thrill some of you have. Maybe I’m a little jealous of you guys. Cars for me are appliances. I have a 2020 Sonata Sel with the tech package and panoramic moon roof, it was on sale during the pandemic and it has served me well. But she might have higher car standards. So she going to have to pay for it if she don’t like my tastes for her.

Just let her know when you go, BMW,Land Rover, Mercedes your going to pay top dollar for any repairs and they will need repairs .

Subarus need head gaskets every 100k

Hondas have transmission issues after 100k

Toyotas body and frame fall apart the fastest if not taken care of especially in the northeast.

Nissan stay away from their CVT transmission.

Ford, just stay away, to many horror stories. My buddy just replaced his engine on his 2020 ford ranger with 115k on it .

When buying used just keep in mind 80% of people selling their used cars or trucks have gotten news from a mechanic of an upcoming issue that will happen and cost 💲 … so take your time and do your homework and always have a spare few k for repairs .

But in your budget you mentioned there’s plenty of great reliable choices.

Good luck my daughter isn’t of driving age yet, but when she is I’ll be a nervous wreck.

AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Member: #748
2/14/2024  2:39 PM
Now we talking my music. I’m a car guy from day one. I remember my first game as a child was counting cars.

Today I own a small rental car fleet. Was a side job now full job until I get another full job. I’m an engineer with 3 degrees working corporate for 25 plus years. Turned down an opportunity to play overseas because at that time they made the same money as me and I rather be with my family (2 boys).

My goal is to be the next Enterprise rent a car. I have a website, LLC, IG information and I’m located at BWI airport in MD. Let me know if anybody wants to connect off line.

Let’s just say my top 3 reliable cars in my fleet is 2 Camry’s and 1 Corolla. Toyotas are the best. Traded in my corvette for a Corolla that had 115000 miles. Now it has 148k miles and still rides smooth no issues.

Love speed as well. Used to have a z51 white with red seats t-top…..one of my favorite cars. I’m ready to buy it again (C7). Took it up to 140 in this Maryland car club I was in. Love that car. Lived in New England years ago and my Subaru was the best fun car to drive in the snow. They are also reliable and fun to drive hard. Love manual drive but that’s a lost ark. I’ve had too many cars to list them all.

Not a fan of Mazdas, but that doesn’t mean they are bad cars. Just no experience with them.

Right now the internet is flooded with reliable rankings on cars. Easy to Google search. I wish u ask this question a few months later. That’s when I will have my dealership license so I will be able to buy cars at dealers purchase prices.

I’m looking to start a rental car business in NY in the future so if anybody lives near an airport, let’s talk.

Good luck man. I’ve heard Facebook marketplace has great deals. Open your search and sometimes you find great deals you might have to travel to get it. Living in az, those cars are high demand for east coast buyer because east coast cars are rotted with salt. But below market deals are the best if you can get one. Because in a few years you can sell and get your money back (or close).

You can also buy 2 cars and rent one out which will pay for itself like buying a house and using the rent to pay the mortgage. If anybody has an extra car just sitting, I have a platform to rent it out and split the profit.

Great topic

Fyi. Depending on the year be careful with hyandai or Kia. They’ve had recalls and easy to start thefts. Google is your best friend.

My son’s a freshman in college and asked when can he get a car or if he can take my car and rent it out on campus. I said as soon as you give me some A’s. He doesn’t need a car. It depreciates and can be a maintenance headache if you buy the wrong used vehicle.

Good luck.

If you have a car in mind, before u buy put it in chat. I can help do some research. I had a BMW 550i. Very very nice car until it hit 100k miles and then it became the worse nightmare.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

2/14/2024  3:56 PM
blkexec wrote:Now we talking my music. I’m a car guy from day one. I remember my first game as a child was counting cars.

Today I own a small rental car fleet. Was a side job now full job until I get another full job. I’m an engineer with 3 degrees working corporate for 25 plus years. Turned down an opportunity to play overseas because at that time they made the same money as me and I rather be with my family (2 boys).

My goal is to be the next Enterprise rent a car. I have a website, LLC, IG information and I’m located at BWI airport in MD. Let me know if anybody wants to connect off line.

Let’s just say my top 3 reliable cars in my fleet is 2 Camry’s and 1 Corolla. Toyotas are the best. Traded in my corvette for a Corolla that had 115000 miles. Now it has 148k miles and still rides smooth no issues.

Love speed as well. Used to have a z51 white with red seats t-top…..one of my favorite cars. I’m ready to buy it again (C7). Took it up to 140 in this Maryland car club I was in. Love that car. Lived in New England years ago and my Subaru was the best fun car to drive in the snow. They are also reliable and fun to drive hard. Love manual drive but that’s a lost ark. I’ve had too many cars to list them all.

Not a fan of Mazdas, but that doesn’t mean they are bad cars. Just no experience with them.

Right now the internet is flooded with reliable rankings on cars. Easy to Google search. I wish u ask this question a few months later. That’s when I will have my dealership license so I will be able to buy cars at dealers purchase prices.

I’m looking to start a rental car business in NY in the future so if anybody lives near an airport, let’s talk.

Good luck man. I’ve heard Facebook marketplace has great deals. Open your search and sometimes you find great deals you might have to travel to get it. Living in az, those cars are high demand for east coast buyer because east coast cars are rotted with salt. But below market deals are the best if you can get one. Because in a few years you can sell and get your money back (or close).

You can also buy 2 cars and rent one out which will pay for itself like buying a house and using the rent to pay the mortgage. If anybody has an extra car just sitting, I have a platform to rent it out and split the profit.

Great topic

Fyi. Depending on the year be careful with hyandai or Kia. They’ve had recalls and easy to start thefts. Google is your best friend.

My son’s a freshman in college and asked when can he get a car or if he can take my car and rent it out on campus. I said as soon as you give me some A’s. He doesn’t need a car. It depreciates and can be a maintenance headache if you buy the wrong used vehicle.

Good luck.

If you have a car in mind, before u buy put it in chat. I can help do some research. I had a BMW 550i. Very very nice car until it hit 100k miles and then it became the worse nightmare.

Wow I’m glad you like the topic. Great points. And thanks for everyone’s input. I’m a go with my daughter and not surprise her and lean towards a Mazda, Honda, Toyota or a k car. Let you know what we do in a month or so
cooch2584
Member: #1187

2/14/2024  5:02 PM
Depends on where you live do you need 4 wheel drive ? city driver highway driver ? reading chevy trax starts at 23k pretty loaded roomy good ride check the reviews on a 2024 chevy trax im a car guy so i read up anything i can I just happen to be a retired UAW/GM assembly line worked for 30 years
Alpha1971

2/14/2024  5:22 PM
cooch2584 wrote:Depends on where you live do you need 4 wheel drive ? city driver highway driver ? reading chevy trax starts at 23k pretty loaded roomy good ride check the reviews on a 2024 chevy trax im a car guy so i read up anything i can I just happen to be a retired UAW/GM assembly line worked for 30 years

I had a Pontiac once and well, I was sad to see the brand disappear. I do have a soft spot for union workers, being one myself, so I will put the big three back on my radar for a new car for me.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/14/2024  5:40 PM
cooch2584 wrote:Depends on where you live do you need 4 wheel drive ? city driver highway driver ? reading chevy trax starts at 23k pretty loaded roomy good ride check the reviews on a 2024 chevy trax im a car guy so i read up anything i can I just happen to be a retired UAW/GM assembly line worked for 30 years

I own a Silverado 1500, Ive had it for 8 years. Was the most trouble free vehicle I had ever owned until year 6. Every other ride I had problems from year one, used or new. Love that small block V-8.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/14/2024  6:39 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Rookie wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:I showed my daughter a picture of the Kona and she said ' NO '.

How old is daughter?
My son wanted a camaro. This was when he was 15. I said "of course you do, and when your buying you can get what you want", he said "Cool, give me the money and i'll work for the difference". I said "and the insurance, and the gas money, and the repairs?"
We then discussed how freakin awesome it is that we are buying him a car that fits "needs, not wants" and how many peers won't be getting any wheels? He was cool after that. I also explained that if he totaled the car and was lucky to not be hurt of course, the next would be beater. Not as punishment, but economic necessity.
ALso any points on driving record that increases his insurance he'd have to pay. Kid never had an accident or a ticket. The boy is still tight with his money today! LOL

They both did well and kept them about 8 years, thru high school, thru college and beyond! Mazda was 4cyl also a manual. Daughter really kept that car well. She was very easy on it. My sons subaru blew a second head gasket at 140k miles and we sold it.

22 is her age. For context I got my first car at 30. Grew up in the City only got a car when my daughter was little to take her places like amusement parks, doctors, and shopping in the area. Cars don’t thrill me like some of you car guys. Never had that thrill some of you have. Maybe I’m a little jealous of you guys. Cars for me are appliances. I have a 2020 Sonata Sel with the tech package and panoramic moon roof, it was on sale during the pandemic and it has served me well. But she might have higher car standards. So she going to have to pay for it if she don’t like my tastes for her.

I started there. Back when I lived in the city I got my first car when I was around 27. A little Jeep Wrangler. One day I came downstairs and looked around and couldn’t find it. It turned up in the Bronx a few days later. Luckily it must have been a couple kids joyriding. They drove it until it ran out of gas and pulled over and left it. Years later, during my divorce, I traded the suv dad mobile for a red corvette stingray convertible and then fell down the slippery slope of muscle cars. I blamed it on mid life crisis but it was a bonus that it pissed the ex off. Man I loved that car but it went under water in hurricane Florence.

I’m in the Bronx, Jaja. It wasn’t me who stole your car for a joy ride😊. I’m exceptionally boring, my mid life crisis would be a Maxima.

Well thanks for clearing that up 🤣 you were suspect numero uno. If your ever in NC I’ll give you the full Ricky Bobby treatment

blkexec
2/14/2024  7:06 PM
Wow I’m glad you like the topic. Great points. And thanks for everyone’s input. I’m a go with my daughter and not surprise her and lean towards a Mazda, Honda, Toyota or a k car. Let you know what we do in a month or so

For what it’s worth, I drive a 2019 Honda civic si as my daily and I love it.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
2/14/2024  7:39 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:To the mods, just want to ask the assembled Bros a question about purchasing a pre-owned car for my daughter in the 15-20 k range. The non sports forum is pretty dead. Feel free to close. But if you permit it the discussion and anyone wants to participate, I'd appreciate the input. I'm narrowing my search for a smaller easy to park, city driver, with all safety features to 2018 or later Mazda CX-5, CX -3, Mazda 3 sedan or Hatchback. Or a 2018 or 2019 Hyundai Kona with turbo engine. I've also considered a Subaru Impreza but have rear they are really sluggish and slow. Civics/ Accords/ Crvs and and Corollas/ Rav 4/ amd Camry also on the rader but for models at the same years they orten are more expensive and offer less at the same price point. I'm sure some of you have purchased your kids a vehicle or shopped used cars recently, help a brother out

Alpha, if there's one thing I know... your search begins and ends with Frassanito Jewelers.

Alpha1971

2/15/2024  7:15 AM
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:To the mods, just want to ask the assembled Bros a question about purchasing a pre-owned car for my daughter in the 15-20 k range. The non sports forum is pretty dead. Feel free to close. But if you permit it the discussion and anyone wants to participate, I'd appreciate the input. I'm narrowing my search for a smaller easy to park, city driver, with all safety features to 2018 or later Mazda CX-5, CX -3, Mazda 3 sedan or Hatchback. Or a 2018 or 2019 Hyundai Kona with turbo engine. I've also considered a Subaru Impreza but have rear they are really sluggish and slow. Civics/ Accords/ Crvs and and Corollas/ Rav 4/ amd Camry also on the rader but for models at the same years they orten are more expensive and offer less at the same price point. I'm sure some of you have purchased your kids a vehicle or shopped used cars recently, help a brother out

Alpha, if there's one thing I know... your search begins and ends with Frassanito Jewelers.

What ?

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/15/2024  8:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2024  8:17 AM

I personally drive a pre owned Accord. I would encourage you to buy an Accord or Corolla at the price range. I think it with five or six years on it and 75k miles on it. I haven’t had to it in for any mechanic work. The only issue I had was needing to replace and battery. Similarly, it’s been paid off for a few years after posting the loan down, and I honestly think the car will make it 15 years - with little to no maintenance expense. You buy a cheaper car you will not have that experience

Similarly, I used to work at a bank in Potomac Maryland. That place is affluent, 14 banks at a suburban intersection. I used to work with the financial advisor and he came to me bitching that “that guy over there has millions in cash in his accounts, and he drives that old ass accord.” Me, yeah I lost out on commission, but lesson learned. I have a lot more money and haven’t had a legit car expense in years. I prefer Honda, but I feel the same way about Corollas, both are high quality and I’d rather target quality when buying used

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
blkexec
2/15/2024  1:26 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

I personally drive a pre owned Accord. I would encourage you to buy an Accord or Corolla at the price range. I think it with five or six years on it and 75k miles on it. I haven’t had to it in for any mechanic work. The only issue I had was needing to replace and battery. Similarly, it’s been paid off for a few years after posting the loan down, and I honestly think the car will make it 15 years - with little to no maintenance expense. You buy a cheaper car you will not have that experience

Similarly, I used to work at a bank in Potomac Maryland. That place is affluent, 14 banks at a suburban intersection. I used to work with the financial advisor and he came to me bitching that “that guy over there has millions in cash in his accounts, and he drives that old ass accord.” Me, yeah I lost out on commission, but lesson learned. I have a lot more money and haven’t had a legit car expense in years. I prefer Honda, but I feel the same way about Corollas, both are high quality and I’d rather target quality when buying used

Man I would love to talk to you about my car loans. I have several cars under water with high notes and looking to bring those notes down, even if it increases the loans. Does it make since to consolidate the cars into one bank loan? I’m going to meet with a financial advisor but just curious since you worked at a bank before. Again, it’s not the best approach but they are assets so I will keep for a while. The high note is simply reducing my monthly profit.

I believe everyone has an ultimateknicks email when you sign on. Probably a question for Martin. If I want to connect with someone in the UK community without blasting my personal information on the open forum, any advice? Almost afraid to ask cause I know a smart dry humor reply is coming.

Thanks

Alpha1971

2/15/2024  2:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2024  2:12 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

Maybe I am exception, but I had bad experiences with Honda. First car ever was a Civic bought pre owned certified and it was a lemon previously involved ina severe accident. I found after the purchase a separate mechanic told me the suspension wouldn't align and said the frame was damaged. It was my first car and I was defrauded. They took it back and I got an Element ( It made Sense at the time ) and it was ok but I traded it in and it was having engine issues. I know it may be an isolated incident but it left a bad impression on me for the entire Honda brand.

ToddTT
2/15/2024  5:45 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

What ?

YOUR SEARCH BEGINS AND ENDS WITH FRASSANITO JEWELERS.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/15/2024  6:14 PM
Don’t buy a Toyota CH-R. It has terrible blind spots speaking from experience. Can’t go wrong with Subaru or Honda Civic.
Alpha1971

2/15/2024  8:09 PM
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

What ?

Haha but what the heck does that mean ? What reference is that . Please elaborate

ToddTT
2/15/2024  8:14 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

What ?

Haha but what the heck does that mean ? What reference is that . Please elaborate

I’d love to explain, but I’m helping Jan with her scrap metal.

I don’t know how the hell she wound up with all this crap.

I may be glitching out.

ToddTT
2/15/2024  8:16 PM
Seriously though, don’t buy her a Pinto.

Alpha1971

2/15/2024  10:00 PM
ToddTT wrote:Seriously though, don’t buy her a Pinto.

Don’t let the bull get you..,

Alpha1971

2/15/2024  10:03 PM
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

What ?

I’d love to explain, but I’m helping Jan with her scrap metal.

I don’t know how the hell she wound up with all this crap.

I may be glitching out.

Wtf, are these references I should get …. Am I living under a rock .?

OT: Used car question if permitted

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy