[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Used car question if permitted
Author Thread
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

2/14/2024  2:44 AM
To the mods, just want to ask the assembled Bros a question about purchasing a pre-owned car for my daughter in the 15-20 k range. The non sports forum is pretty dead. Feel free to close. But if you permit it the discussion and anyone wants to participate, I'd appreciate the input. I'm narrowing my search for a smaller easy to park, city driver, with all safety features to 2018 or later Mazda CX-5, CX -3, Mazda 3 sedan or Hatchback. Or a 2018 or 2019 Hyundai Kona with turbo engine. I've also considered a Subaru Impreza but have rear they are really sluggish and slow. Civics/ Accords/ Crvs and and Corollas/ Rav 4/ amd Camry also on the rader but for models at the same years they orten are more expensive and offer less at the same price point. I'm sure some of you have purchased your kids a vehicle or shopped used cars recently, help a brother out
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Member: #599
USA
2/14/2024  7:56 AM
in the same boat - i think you are spot on - the only thing is I have a bias against Mazda due to some small number of stories.

My wife's first car was an 80s era hyndai excel and we drove that home through a snow storm and it was amazing. Granted, you couldn't run the AC and drive, but it went. Much respect for them. Honda/Toyota seem like a safe choice- lack of safety stuff like sensors and cameras is kinda annoying, but young people should be able to turn their heads around far easier than us old folks.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/14/2024  8:24 AM
Consider a Subaru WRX. The biggest selling point is that its all-weather and likes to be driven hard, excels on bad roads. The kind of car you want in a storm.

The latest generation isnt very fast, but it has enough speed to merge with highway traffic, which is all you really need in a daily driver. I'd go for the manual over the CVT.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/14/2024  8:31 AM
We love cars in our family and have owned many.
My son races and self taught as a hobby (He is in tech) to work on his cars.
Bottom line is we are obsessed and have been for years.
This does not render me an expert, just some experiences to share.

To me, you rarely go wrong with a toyota product regarding reliability and resale. Yes, they are a bit pricier because of this. They just hold up really well long term.
Over the years daughter in law owned long term a mazda 3, my daughter a mazda 6, and she now owns a CX-5 for 5 years now. They are reliable, inexpensive to maintain and have a bit more “Style” interiors than Toyotas. All three have been great and very easy on the wallet in many aspects.
Im into Lexus sedan now because of predictive reliability. Toyota/Lexus infrequently innovates but instead perfects. They are not innovative leaders in segments but when they get there they do it very very well.

Read up in car forums and you’ll get a sense of whats going on with various models. Granted, most posters are there to work thru issues so it seem like the cars are problematic. Lets just say majority of drivers don’t go on forums to say they are happy. They are looking into solutions or modify their cars and obsess over customizations to stand out. Fun stuff for many.

Subaru’s have boxer engines and when they need to be pulled its very expensive. Very nice cars though.
Kia/Hyundai’s look very nice. I suspect some models have better histories than others. They come up on recalls a lot but there are alot of them out there. I’d go Mazda before I go there.

Wife drives an Audi. We keep our cars beyond warranty get them paid off quickly and thus find it works for us to just pay upkeep then buy new cars. She loves her car so if happy, its all good. German cars are very gratifying to drive and while maintenance is expensive one must keep up with it or the cars are a nightmare!
What should you do? No right or wrong. Do what works for family and ones budget. Cars are bad investments and provide either service to get from A-to-B, or an experience. I buy cars 3 years old with low miles and do not get extended warranties. Many things that will break do so in first year or so electronically. Obviously we stay away from cars with messy repair histories. So far its a formula that works for us. Again, no one way is “Best”.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/14/2024  9:10 AM
My first car was a Mazda3. Great car, compact, spirited for its size, very easy to handle from a steering perspective. Enjoyable ride. I'd highly recommend.

Currently own a Subaru Crosstrek. More practical than fun, but loaded with terrific safety features and beastly 4 wheel drive. The blind spots warning, the lane departure sensor, etc. are really strong. If you live in an area with a lot of snow/rain potential, having the 4 wheel drive and safety features would give you some serious peace of mind for your daughter. BTW an Impreza and the Crosstrek are basically the same exact car. Crosstrek is an Impreza lifter off the ground a few inches to make it a mini-SUV. These days the rear cameras on all cars make it easier to park - the Subaru rear camera is quite good compared to others (just comparing it to some rental cars I've recently driven).

Subaru's because of the boxer engines, make it harder to find a good mechanic to maintain them. Some mechanics don't know what they are looking at. That said its a pretty reliable vehicle.

Anyway the Honda/Toyota are a reliable, easy way to go. Corolla/Rav4, Civic/CRV - these are popular, prevalent, good cars, just not that interesting.

Given its your daughter and your probably considering piece of mind over performance, I'd lean to the Subaru route.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/14/2024  9:46 AM
I love cars man. My son has a 2009 WRX Impreza. He's got it up to over 500HP. Totally rebuilt it himself using YouTube videos and talking to friends for advice. Probably not the smartest purchase for a young person even when it was stock. I think the newer ones are very different though and they dropped the STI. There are so many inexpensive, safe and reliable options out there that it shouldn't be hard to match a car with something your kid will like. My daughter drives a Mercedes 200 class and I would not recommend one. Not worth the upkeep. Keep in mind you are going to pay more in insurance for a used car then on a used one and I recommend getting very good insurance coverage and not just the bare legal minimum.

Me, I've had the GT350, GT500, TRX, and Raptor and I'm currently driving a ZO6 and M4 Competition. I love the fast cars.

SergioNYK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #333
USA
2/14/2024  11:20 AM
Maybe JVG's 1995 Honda Civic is available.
Nalod
USA
2/14/2024  11:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/14/2024  11:55 AM
Rookie wrote:I love cars man. My son has a 2009 WRX Impreza. He's got it up to over 500HP. Totally rebuilt it himself using YouTube videos and talking to friends for advice. Probably not the smartest purchase for a young person even when it was stock. I think the newer ones are very different though and they dropped the STI. There are so many inexpensive, safe and reliable options out there that it shouldn't be hard to match a car with something your kid will like. My daughter drives a Mercedes 200 class and I would not recommend one. Not worth the upkeep. Keep in mind you are going to pay more in insurance for a used car then on a used one and I recommend getting very good insurance coverage and not just the bare legal minimum.

Me, I've had the GT350, GT500, TRX, and Raptor and I'm currently driving a ZO6 and M4 Competition. I love the fast cars.

M4, NICE!!!!!!
I got my son who is now 32 a 2004 outback, 4cyl manual trans. This was 2008. 0-60 in 9 seconds, full time AWD. Slow! He hated it but my job was to keep him alive then! He now tracks a honda s2000 thats been stripped and roll cage put in. with the sound insulation out and new LOUD exhaust system the car is terrifying to be in the street with. He got certified to take passanger on the track and few years ago he took me out on at VIR. 20 minutes out and it was all I can take regarding effects of gforces!

I flirted to get a few M's over the years but they are "sensitive" and decided to stay away from them. 15 years ago moved to an older home with no garage. Sold my narrow body recent rotisserie restored 1974 911 targa that I got in a crazy divorce story for way below value. The 2.4 had been replaced by a rebuilt and modifyed 2.7 from a 1978 donor and the car was super quick and fun to drive. Insane as the narrow body and no aero mods to keep the front end down. As they say: "poor design brilliantly executed!!!!!" My son respected that insanity and at 16 really got good at driving it. Perhaps planted the seed in him then. I sold it when I moved because the body was not galvanized and it was too perfect keep it outside. Im driving a current model LS500 which on paper is 0-60 at 4.6 sec but really no fun. Its just really a nice place to spend time in. Had a few Manual BMW's with inline 6 I ordered over the years. Last was 2013 535i MSport. Yeah, it was a bit big!!! I preferred the non turbo cars previous. Had some nice 3's with sport package and they were just nicely balanced machines you can have fun with. Now,

Rookie

2/14/2024  12:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
Rookie wrote:I love cars man. My son has a 2009 WRX Impreza. He's got it up to over 500HP. Totally rebuilt it himself using YouTube videos and talking to friends for advice. Probably not the smartest purchase for a young person even when it was stock. I think the newer ones are very different though and they dropped the STI. There are so many inexpensive, safe and reliable options out there that it shouldn't be hard to match a car with something your kid will like. My daughter drives a Mercedes 200 class and I would not recommend one. Not worth the upkeep. Keep in mind you are going to pay more in insurance for a used car then on a used one and I recommend getting very good insurance coverage and not just the bare legal minimum.

M4, NICE!!!!!!
I got my son who is now 32 a 2004 outback, 4cyl manual trans. This was 2008. 0-60 in 9 seconds, full time AWD. Slow! He hated it but my job was to keep him alive then! He now tracks a honda s2000 thats been stripped and roll cage put in. with the sound insulation out and new LOUD exhaust system the car is terrifying to be in the street with. He got certified to take passanger on the track and few years ago he took me out on at VIR. 20 minutes out and it was all I can take regarding effects of gforces!

I flirted to get a few M's over the years but they are "sensitive" and decided to stay away from them. 15 years ago moved to an older home with no garage. Sold my narrow body recent rotisserie restored 1974 911 targa that I got in a crazy divorce story for way below value. The 2.4 had been replaced by a rebuilt and modifyed 2.7 from a 1978 donor and the car was super quick and fun to drive. Insane as the narrow body and no aero mods to keep the front end down. As they say: "poor design brilliantly executed!!!!!" My son respected that insanity and at 16 really got good at driving it. Perhaps planted the seed in him then. I sold it when I moved because the body was not galvanized and it was too perfect keep it outside. Im driving a current model LS500 which on paper is 0-60 at 4.6 sec but really no fun. Its just really a nice place to spend time in. Had a few Manual BMW's with inline 6 I ordered over the years. Last was 2013 535i MSport. Yeah, it was a bit big!!! I preferred the non turbo cars previous. Had some nice 3's with sport package and they were just nicely balanced machines you can have fun with. Now,

Yeah, the M4 is my version of trying to be more mature That was a good smart purchase for your son. Mine managed to wrap his safe slow car around a lamp post on the route 70 on ramp screwing around in the rain. It was a 4Runner and meant to last him for years. None of the girls have had any car issues like that. My son, he's wrecked 2. Both in single car accidents. Luckily the 2nd one was a $500 Kia compact suv he used for work, but he managed to scare the crap out of me on that one.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/14/2024  12:11 PM
SergioNYK wrote:Maybe JVG's 1995 Honda Civic is available.

And just like that, you made this thread ON topic for the KNicks forum!

Alpha1971

2/14/2024  12:24 PM
I showed my daughter a picture of the Kona and she said ' NO '.
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

2/14/2024  12:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/14/2024  12:40 PM
I will echo what some others said - generally Toyota and Honda are well worth it in terms of reliability and resale. I owned subcompacts Toyota Echo and Yaris several years back and they never left me stranded or with gargantuan repair bills as did similar Fords and Hyundais. I also had a Mazda built Ford Festiva which was a good car. Now these were all small hatchbacks that most people don't care for, but I can attest to the reliability and the parking advantages in NYC.
Nalod
USA
2/14/2024  12:43 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:I showed my daughter a picture of the Kona and she said ' NO '.

How old is daughter?
My son wanted a camaro. This was when he was 15. I said "of course you do, and when your buying you can get what you want", he said "Cool, give me the money and i'll work for the difference". I said "and the insurance, and the gas money, and the repairs?"
We then discussed how freakin awesome it is that we are buying him a car that fits "needs, not wants" and how many peers won't be getting any wheels? He was cool after that. I also explained that if he totaled the car and was lucky to not be hurt of course, the next would be beater. Not as punishment, but economic necessity.
ALso any points on driving record that increases his insurance he'd have to pay. Kid never had an accident or a ticket. The boy is still tight with his money today! LOL

They both did well and kept them about 8 years, thru high school, thru college and beyond! Mazda was 4cyl also a manual. Daughter really kept that car well. She was very easy on it. My sons subaru blew a second head gasket at 140k miles and we sold it.

Alpha1971

2/14/2024  12:48 PM
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?
My son wanted a camaro. This was when he was 15. I said "of course you do, and when your buying you can get what you want", he said "Cool, give me the money and i'll work for the difference". I said "and the insurance, and the gas money, and the repairs?"
We then discussed how freakin awesome it is that we are buying him a car that fits "needs, not wants" and how many peers won't be getting any wheels? He was cool after that. I also explained that if he totaled the car and was lucky to not be hurt of course, the next would be beater. Not as punishment, but economic necessity.
ALso any points on driving record that increases his insurance he'd have to pay. Kid never had an accident or a ticket. The boy is still tight with his money today! LOL

They both did well and kept them about 8 years, thru high school, thru college and beyond! Mazda was 4cyl also a manual. Daughter really kept that car well. She was very easy on it. My sons subaru blew a second head gasket at 140k miles and we sold it.

22 is her age. For context I got my first car at 30. Grew up in the City only got a car when my daughter was little to take her places like amusement parks, doctors, and shopping in the area. Cars don’t thrill me like some of you car guys. Never had that thrill some of you have. Maybe I’m a little jealous of you guys. Cars for me are appliances. I have a 2020 Sonata Sel with the tech package and panoramic moon roof, it was on sale during the pandemic and it has served me well. But she might have higher car standards. So she going to have to pay for it if she don’t like my tastes for her.

Nalod
USA
2/14/2024  12:50 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

22 is her age. For context I got my first car at 30. Grew up in the City only got a car when my daughter was little to take her places like amusement parks, doctors, and shopping in the area. Cars don’t thrill me like some of you car guys. Never had that thrill some of you have. Maybe I’m a little jealous of you guys. Cars for me are appliances. I have a 2020 Sonata Sel with the tech package and panoramic moon roof, it was on sale during the pandemic and it has served me well. But she might have higher car standards. So she going to have to pay for it if she don’t like my tastes for her.

Your a good dad!!

Rookie

2/14/2024  1:06 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

I started there. Back when I lived in the city I got my first car when I was around 27. A little Jeep Wrangler. One day I came downstairs and looked around and couldn’t find it. It turned up in the Bronx a few days later. Luckily it must have been a couple kids joyriding. They drove it until it ran out of gas and pulled over and left it. Years later, during my divorce, I traded the suv dad mobile for a red corvette stingray convertible and then fell down the slippery slope of muscle cars. I blamed it on mid life crisis but it was a bonus that it pissed the ex off. Man I loved that car but it went under water in hurricane Florence.

Alpha1971

2/14/2024  1:47 PM
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

Your a good dad!!

Well thanks. She is off today and took her mom out for lunch for Valentine’s Day. I wasn’t invited.

Alpha1971

2/14/2024  1:50 PM
Rookie wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

I started there. Back when I lived in the city I got my first car when I was around 27. A little Jeep Wrangler. One day I came downstairs and looked around and couldn’t find it. It turned up in the Bronx a few days later. Luckily it must have been a couple kids joyriding. They drove it until it ran out of gas and pulled over and left it. Years later, during my divorce, I traded the suv dad mobile for a red corvette stingray convertible and then fell down the slippery slope of muscle cars. I blamed it on mid life crisis but it was a bonus that it pissed the ex off. Man I loved that car but it went under water in hurricane Florence.

I’m in the Bronx, Jaja. It wasn’t me who stole your car for a joy ride😊. I’m exceptionally boring, my mid life crisis would be a Maxima.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/14/2024  2:13 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

Your a good dad!!

Well thanks. She is off today and took her mom out for lunch for Valentine’s Day. I wasn’t invited.

You forgot to tell them to schedule their date for like 7pm tonight when it would coincidentally overlap some sporting event?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Alpha1971

2/14/2024  2:18 PM
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How old is daughter?

Your a good dad!!

You forgot to tell them to schedule their date for like 7pm tonight when it would coincidentally overlap some sporting event?

I’m a kinky sob, but 7 will be Mass for Ash Wednesday. I wasn’t invited so I can observe a fast I think. For real. No cigarettes to my nipples for 40 days.
OT: Used car question if permitted

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy