[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/28/2024  2:08 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:The Knicks have a very bad history of trading for and signing aging veterans who are past their prime. This trade is a nod to the bad old days. If we had traded Grimes for a player in his prime who filled a bigger need then I wouldn't be bitching. This was a bad trade.

I have to tell you, I am a little confused as to why the Knicks traded Grimes. All things being equal, trading Grimes for Bogs, especially considering age, doesn't make sense, right? That's easy.

So, if the Knicks didn't trade Grimes, they definitely have a different type of Obi/Randle situation with Grimes/DDV, right? And DDV is fitting that starting lineup like a Villanova born and breed Glove. So where are Grimes' minutes gonna come from? Cause DDV is deserving of even more than the 25mpg, right?

Or do we need to relearn that lesson again? Is it - was it - worth it keeping Grimes in that situation? Knowing DDV is playing at historical levels of shooting good at half the price of what Grimes could ask for in contract.

As well, Bogs is easier to move than Grimes moving forward. Grimes contract would be $4M next year, which is both a blessing and a hindrance cause you need to include other big contracts to match him into a bigger trade. You can keep Fournier but he is just dead weight.

Did the Knicks position themselves better for this playoffs as well as their next trade (draft, summer or after summer) than they would have if they kept Grimes?

Tough ask. But that seems like the consideration?

My point is that neither Burks or Bojan fit the profile of players we have either signed or traded for. It fits the profile or moves we were making when Isiah was in Dolan's ear. This new group has had tremendous patience. his feels more like a desperation move

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/28/2024  2:35 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:The Knicks have a very bad history of trading for and signing aging veterans who are past their prime. This trade is a nod to the bad old days. If we had traded Grimes for a player in his prime who filled a bigger need then I wouldn't be bitching. This was a bad trade.

I have to tell you, I am a little confused as to why the Knicks traded Grimes. All things being equal, trading Grimes for Bogs, especially considering age, doesn't make sense, right? That's easy.

So, if the Knicks didn't trade Grimes, they definitely have a different type of Obi/Randle situation with Grimes/DDV, right? And DDV is fitting that starting lineup like a Villanova born and breed Glove. So where are Grimes' minutes gonna come from? Cause DDV is deserving of even more than the 25mpg, right?

Or do we need to relearn that lesson again? Is it - was it - worth it keeping Grimes in that situation? Knowing DDV is playing at historical levels of shooting good at half the price of what Grimes could ask for in contract.

As well, Bogs is easier to move than Grimes moving forward. Grimes contract would be $4M next year, which is both a blessing and a hindrance cause you need to include other big contracts to match him into a bigger trade. You can keep Fournier but he is just dead weight.

Did the Knicks position themselves better for this playoffs as well as their next trade (draft, summer or after summer) than they would have if they kept Grimes?

My point is that neither Burks or Bojan fit the profile of players we have either signed or traded for. It fits the profile or moves we were making when Isiah was in Dolan's ear. This new group has had tremendous patience. his feels more like a desperation move

I disagree. It may or may not pan out, but it was a calculated moved. Bojan has been a 18,22,20pt scorer these last 3 years. He also has a contract that isn't guaranteed for next season. I believe they valued his value as a trade piece in the offseason given his standing around the league and the flexibility of his contract. They banked (probably by gauging the value around the league) that Bojan as a 20ppg scorer holds more value than Grimes and Fournier expiring as a trade package. As well as what he could provide in the immediate which neither Grimes or Fournier were providing. This wasn't a move strictly with this season in mind.

Healthy the team is strong defensively. OG, Mitch, IHart, Precious, Hart, Mcbride, DDV with the sneak steals. What it lacked was a 3rd shot creator which Bojan is.

Burks was added more so to cover depth at the G position.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/28/2024  2:37 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

No crippling contracts like the Isiah years. Bogs at the very least has something left in the tank.

Having trouble understanding the early calls on this trade with so many important players out. They werent brought here to play the role they're playing now.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/28/2024  2:40 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

So a few weeks ago everyone loved the trade. We gave up no 1st round picks and added depth.
Very un-Isiah like. This was not the 2013 team either.
I think your comparison is a bit extreme. You make it sound like we gave up Ariza for Steve Francis.
Or our no.1 for Bargnani, or the big trade for Marbury, or two no. 1 picks that was for Eddy Curry?
Perhaps your a big fan of Grimes and that I can understand. Im not in the "He the next Klay" but not entirely down on him either.
Grimes is not special and perhaps we have 10 other guys we can get that we like better on a list for the off season.
Nobody saw DDV coming and being this good. Basically, he made Grimes expendible.

newyorknewyork
2/28/2024  2:47 PM
Bojan is currently averaging 15pts on 45%fg & 43.6% from 3 in 26mins
Grimes is averaging 6.3pts on 27%fg & 35% from 3 in 21mins
Fournier is averaging 8.8pts on 45fg% & 43.5% from 3 in 18.7mins

I would say so far they have calculated right.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
2/28/2024  3:15 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

On the one hand, my immediate impression of this trade was that it signified a deeper injury issue than revealed by the Knicks at the time. That impression was right for the wrong reason. I thought it meant Randle was worse. It actually meant that OG was down for a longer period. I saw the trade as an attempt at warm bodies for the months of February and March. They added positional size with their aged players. So, the desperation you are speaking of is real, but more that they took the conservative approach to filling out the bench due to injury concerns.

I don't think there are lasting consequences to this trade. They have given up the upside of Grimes. They have added the scoring of Bogs. They have the vet presence of Burks. Burks isn't playing the way I remember him just yet. There is usually an approximate 10 game adjustment period with new players. The intention would have been to skip that with Burks and plug him into the rotation.

The new guys are taking less efficient shots and not making the rotations on defense. I don't see any boxing out from Bogs when he is PF. But then again, I don't think he really has the body to be a NYK PF.

I am holding out for healthy players. Not angry about the Bogs/Burks trade. Don't think it was a mistake. Just think the reasoning for it will dissipate when the rest of the team gets healthy.

This is the Randle.
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

2/28/2024  3:40 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

I think it was a little bit of a desperation move in the sense that this team after the OG trade turned heads in the FO with how good they were. Windhorst basically confirmed that the Denver and Philly 30 point drubbings during the 9 game win streak, along with the other-worldly team stats, made the FO feel like they should make a legitimate push his year and not be too cutesy on not pulling the trigger on moves. Desperation came in after the Knicks were able to separate themselves from Indy/ORL/MIA pack into the upper echelon into the conference, and then Randle and OG go down for an extended period, other guys go down and they felt they needed to do something to keep them afloat in their hard-earned standings position. Time will tell, I don't love the trade, but picking up Fournier's option seemed unlikely from a cruelty perspective and they needed a big expiring just as bad as they needed some depth scoring so it checked a couple boxes.

The FO has absolutely nailed a bunch of moves lately, if they don't nail this one it is what it is. If you gave me a mulligan I'd probably take it but I'm not losing that much sleep over Grimes and basically swapping your 8th man for a new 8th/9th man.

DLeethal

2/28/2024  3:41 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Bojan is currently averaging 15pts on 45%fg & 43.6% from 3 in 26mins

lol damn, I honestly didn't know Bojan was putting up #s like that. Obviously ballooned by the Philly game, but he's been quietly doing what he's supposed to do on offense.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/28/2024  3:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2024  4:19 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

Let's go back in time.
When the Knicks made the trade for OG and were looking like Chip contenders.
We ALL said that all we needed was a better bench?
We ALL agreed we needed better 3pt shooting off the bench in the playoffs?
Felt like if we were going to go deep in the playoffs we can't count on third year players that were not consistent or that can be counted on in a big moments.
We just picked up two Pro shooters who, in limited minutes, will make us better in the playoffs and are not afraid to take the big shot.
Two guys who have proved they can hit threes at a high click for most of their careers. Not just inconsistently in their short 3 year pro career.
How about we hold judgement on how these two moves help us when we get our 5 starters back?
Grimes had potential but the FO sees an opportunity to go deep. They made a decision to add what was needed. It's nice to keep all our toys but feel the FO has a very good feel to where and what we are.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
DLeethal

2/28/2024  3:43 PM
This team will be judged by playoffs from here on out, they are at the stage where regular season stuff really doesn't matter anymore. Bojan making some back breaking 3 pointers in a playoff series is going to be where his worth is determined. And if Burks can clean up his game with our top guys back in the fold that is where he will eventually be judged as well, as opposed to this stretch where we are just trying to tread water while everyone is injured.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/28/2024  3:43 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

On the one hand, my immediate impression of this trade was that it signified a deeper injury issue than revealed by the Knicks at the time. That impression was right for the wrong reason. I thought it meant Randle was worse. It actually meant that OG was down for a longer period. I saw the trade as an attempt at warm bodies for the months of February and March. They added positional size with their aged players. So, the desperation you are speaking of is real, but more that they took the conservative approach to filling out the bench due to injury concerns.

I don't think there are lasting consequences to this trade. They have given up the upside of Grimes. They have added the scoring of Bogs. They have the vet presence of Burks. Burks isn't playing the way I remember him just yet. There is usually an approximate 10 game adjustment period with new players. The intention would have been to skip that with Burks and plug him into the rotation.

The new guys are taking less efficient shots and not making the rotations on defense. I don't see any boxing out from Bogs when he is PF. But then again, I don't think he really has the body to be a NYK PF.

I am holding out for healthy players. Not angry about the Bogs/Burks trade. Don't think it was a mistake. Just think the reasoning for it will dissipate when the rest of the team gets healthy.

Not for nothing, but as newyorknewyork alludes to, the trade could have just been that the FO thought the Knicks should just go for it too. Like, go for Championship and Bogs/Burks gives Knicks a better chance than Fournier/Grimes.

As well, it also sets you up better for a trade a the draft or during summer.

Take this hypothetical: If Mikal (or someone at ~$20M) comes available at the drift, I don't know if the Knicks could have traded Fournier or if Bogs is the easier contract to move. I am not sure of the logistics of extending Fournier if his contract is not already guaranteed, same with Bogs TBH but he definitely has value over Fournier.

If the Knicks kept Grimes and extended him, they can't trade him. If they kept him, they would have to include him in a trade at $4M mark, and that's hard to trade for Mikal or Donovan.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
2/28/2024  3:50 PM
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Bojan is currently averaging 15pts on 45%fg & 43.6% from 3 in 26mins

lol damn, I honestly didn't know Bojan was putting up #s like that. Obviously ballooned by the Philly game, but he's been quietly doing what he's supposed to do on offense.

And he hasn't really even played up to his capabilities as of yet. He's missed a bunch of shots that he should be hitting. His main job will be though to produce enough offense that the 2nd unit isn't a liability there.

Those offensive rebounds and kick outs from Mitch though I can see it now.

newyorknewyork
2/28/2024  4:00 PM
Honestly the way Hart is playing. Hart and Bojan off the bench behind Brunson, DDV, OG, Randle, Hartenstien is strong. Especially with a potential Mitch and Precious frontcourt combination.
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

2/28/2024  5:15 PM
DLeethal wrote:This team will be judged by playoffs from here on out, they are at the stage where regular season stuff really doesn't matter anymore. Bojan making some back breaking 3 pointers in a playoff series is going to be where his worth is determined. And if Burks can clean up his game with our top guys back in the fold that is where he will eventually be judged as well, as opposed to this stretch where we are just trying to tread water while everyone is injured.

Agreed. We don't even really have developing players or guys that are still figuring out who they are on the NBA level. I think they've been "Win NOW" with a capital NOW since last year's 9 game win streak and the Josh Hart trade that followed it. As for Bojan, he's averaged an efficient 18 a night the last 3 times he reached the playoffs. These are good proven players. Maybe one day Grimes is clearly better. He is better on defense and has shown potential to be pretty good on O. We opted for proven dudes. The mission is to figure out how best to fit them in and then win playoff games with them.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/28/2024  6:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2024  6:52 PM
Rookie wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:The true value of Bogdanovic won't be realized until Julius and OG comes back. He will open up the middle for randle and Brunson. He is a piece of the puzzle that we currently don't see due to injuries. Gotta be patient. On the other hand, Burks seems to be cooked.

So you see him playing with the starters when we are healthy. In your scenario you are benching DDV?

I see him as a sixth man that will help the bench.

When all are healthy. I see Mitch, Randle, OG, DDV and Brunson starting. IHart, Bogs, JHart, Deuce, Precious being the bench.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/28/2024  6:59 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Rookie wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:The true value of Bogdanovic won't be realized until Julius and OG comes back. He will open up the middle for randle and Brunson. He is a piece of the puzzle that we currently don't see due to injuries. Gotta be patient. On the other hand, Burks seems to be cooked.

So you see him playing with the starters when we are healthy. In your scenario you are benching DDV?

I see him as a sixth man that will help the bench.

When all are healthy. I see Mitch, Randle, OG, DDV and Brunson starting. IHart, Bogs, JHart, Deuce, Precious being the bench.

The 5 you mentioned off the bench is loaded. It should dominate. Bogs surrounded by elite defense. The challenge is going to be determining who the odd man out is. Can only play 9 guys. Obviously injuries make that a moot point very often though.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/1/2024  7:16 PM
Unless Burks keeps playing poorly, I see him getting the nod over Deuce. Playoff experience and size to defend bigger guards.

I dont believe Deuce will be left out of the playoff rotation altogether though. This is one of the deepest teams Thibs had ever coached. I dont believe he's going to ignore that fact, and bench players who he believes can help in a playoff run.

Clean
Member: #743
3/2/2024  12:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2024  12:35 AM
No one has anything to say about Grimes and his 1 for 6 shooting performance tonight? Quiet on Quick shooting his playoff like percentages 26% Overall and 27% from 3 tonight? I mean I was posting the good and bad about Obi and he was my favorite player on the team.
DLeethal

3/2/2024  8:46 AM
Clean wrote:No one has anything to say about Grimes and his 1 for 6 shooting performance tonight? Quiet on Quick shooting his playoff like percentages 26% Overall and 27% from 3 tonight? I mean I was posting the good and bad about Obi and he was my favorite player on the team.

Even during his breakout game against us, Grimes was completely invisible for 3 quarters before going off in the 4th. Grimes has value with his defense and ability to make some shots but he's not a guy who's were gonna have nightmares over losing. We can sign or draft a guy better than Grimes in a Grimes role pretty easily.

DLeethal

3/2/2024  8:54 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Unless Burks keeps playing poorly, I see him getting the nod over Deuce. Playoff experience and size to defend bigger guards.

I dont believe Deuce will be left out of the playoff rotation altogether though. This is one of the deepest teams Thibs had ever coached. I dont believe he's going to ignore that fact, and bench players who he believes can help in a playoff run.

It seems Burks is in a backup wing role now (less PG experimenting)and Deuce seems to be full Brunson backup. When OG gets back, and Hart slides to full bench role, there's not gonna be much mins for Burks left over. I think Burks will be pretty much out. The real question becomes what gives between Bogs and Precious.

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy