[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out
Author Thread
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
2/15/2024  1:28 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:I'm worried about what I see so far with this trade. Burks looks completely washed, Bogs has some skills but big deficiencies in areas we rely upon heavily for success. We have had zero success incorporating anyone who isn't a high motor guy with defensive chops. I'm already looking forward to where these guys barely get mins when we are at full strength.

At full strength I think Burks should become situational and the bench should be Deuce - Hart - Bogs - Precious/Mitch. Run through Bogs in the half court. Burks is too loosey goosey and he's lost a lot in 2 years.

One guy has played 2 games, the other 3. With up to 6 missing rotational guys, meaning Taj and some GLeague bros are sweating it up.

One may need some patience in this space. Just a little

Understood - but red flags are still there. Burks is at the age where most players start to get washed and his style is his style, doesn't seem to mesh well with a team that was playing some really crisp high IQ basketball. I am more confident we can make Bogs work, not really confident in the Burks backup PG experiment. I'd rather just let Deuce run wild on defense and let Bogs run half court offense.

Knicks running lineups with zero outside shooting outside of Burks, Brunson, McBride (and one or more is always sitting). Precious, Taj, Jericho, Hart, even iHart... not a ton of spacing.

They'll be fine. Although Burks has looked like ass IMO

Even if Burks is washed, his minutes will be limited when it matters. Hart and Bogs will receive the bulk of the backup minutes. And then the Knicks will just let him go this summer. Thibs likes him but he doesn’t have the same value to thibs like hart, DiVincenzo etc.

Feel like Knicks will offer Burks a 2 year deal. More so because they need the contract to trade later on or maybe the rotation player if they need to trade someone else away.

You know what you get in Burks. Not all pretty but very predictable. And at a fair price, he is ideal cause of what he can do in a pinch. Less than MLE money

Do you think they try to resign all the guys - iHart, OG, Precious, Burks?

I know you weren't asking me, but my .02 is Burks is looking/playing like a vet minimum guy.

I'm confident Burks will look good as a backup in spot minutes, than as a starter. We've seen which role Burks plays best. Not a starter this time by design, so I'm not concerned this early.

Burks isnt moving like he's washed. Looks like he's getting used to playing for Thibs again. Shorter leash.

exactly. People are quick to forget just how good Burks was for us when he was not playing PG. I refuse to judge the new guys until they learn the system and are playing the roles meant for them.

AUTOADVERT
DLeethal
Member: #9126

2/15/2024  1:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2024  1:54 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:I'm worried about what I see so far with this trade. Burks looks completely washed, Bogs has some skills but big deficiencies in areas we rely upon heavily for success. We have had zero success incorporating anyone who isn't a high motor guy with defensive chops. I'm already looking forward to where these guys barely get mins when we are at full strength.

At full strength I think Burks should become situational and the bench should be Deuce - Hart - Bogs - Precious/Mitch. Run through Bogs in the half court. Burks is too loosey goosey and he's lost a lot in 2 years.

One guy has played 2 games, the other 3. With up to 6 missing rotational guys, meaning Taj and some GLeague bros are sweating it up.

Understood - but red flags are still there. Burks is at the age where most players start to get washed and his style is his style, doesn't seem to mesh well with a team that was playing some really crisp high IQ basketball. I am more confident we can make Bogs work, not really confident in the Burks backup PG experiment. I'd rather just let Deuce run wild on defense and let Bogs run half court offense.

Knicks running lineups with zero outside shooting outside of Burks, Brunson, McBride (and one or more is always sitting). Precious, Taj, Jericho, Hart, even iHart... not a ton of spacing.

Even if Burks is washed, his minutes will be limited when it matters. Hart and Bogs will receive the bulk of the backup minutes. And then the Knicks will just let him go this summer. Thibs likes him but he doesn’t have the same value to thibs like hart, DiVincenzo etc.

Feel like Knicks will offer Burks a 2 year deal. More so because they need the contract to trade later on or maybe the rotation player if they need to trade someone else away.

You know what you get in Burks. Not all pretty but very predictable. And at a fair price, he is ideal cause of what he can do in a pinch. Less than MLE money

I know you weren't asking me, but my .02 is Burks is looking/playing like a vet minimum guy.

I'm confident Burks will look good as a backup in spot minutes, than as a starter. We've seen which role Burks plays best. Not a starter this time by design, so I'm not concerned this early.

Burks isnt moving like he's washed. Looks like he's getting used to playing for Thibs again. Shorter leash.

IDK, I always got the feel from Burks that he needs to play through mistakes to get to the good stuff. Not really a short minute low usage guy, but a guy who needs enough reps to get through the bad shots out of his system so he can eventually catch a little fire streak and bang 2 or 3 threes in a row. I don't really see him as some contained 15 min player who shoots high % on low volume. Deuce on the other hand......

If we are limiting Burks role at full strength down to a dozen minutes or something, then I'm not sure he's a better option than Deuce.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/15/2024  2:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2024  2:38 PM
DLeethal wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Rookie wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

IDK, I always got the feel from Burks that he needs to play through mistakes to get to the good stuff. Not really a short minute low usage guy, but a guy who needs enough reps to get through the bad shots out of his system so he can eventually catch a little fire streak and bang 2 or 3 threes in a row. I don't really see him as some contained 15 min player who shoots high % on low volume. Deuce on the other hand......

If we are limiting Burks role at full strength down to a dozen minutes or something, then I'm not sure he's a better option than Deuce.

Burks was a different player as a backup. One of the best 3pt shooters in the league, at the time. He was a better decision maker back then as well. His rep went south after he was made a full time starter. Made his share of clutch pts.

Burks is a better choice when you need to defend a bigger wing. Burks and Deuce might end up making a good tandem. Too early to call it either way IMO. Burks is in a different role because of all the missing players, and has little PT with Deuce.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/15/2024  2:50 PM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

Why wouldn't you? 3 are locks. Burks is a luxury.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

2/15/2024  3:07 PM
Grimes is still out with the knee for the Pistons btw. Not expected back until after the break.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/16/2024  8:18 AM
Plug and plan mentality.
HE as shooting 40% from three avg 12-13 pts with Pistons and fans were all excited.
Now, few tough games and we scrap him?
MY friends, give it a few more games. JUst because he was here a few years ago does not mean he automatically resumes were he was.
Team is different as are likley schematics.
He’ll be fine.
Y’all were reading the headlines but forgetting the injuries and they getting worse.
We’ll continue to lose ground. SOme teams are doing well, others are falling back also. Not terrible.
Hopefully it all comes together for the playoffs. Ramp ups go well, timing gets back, and the team finishes strong.
If not, it was fun while it lasted and we can go about our starphuching dreams and argue over players again.

Meanwhile RJ is banged up, OG is out, Raptors are tanking and IQ’s stats are empty. The trade will take 3 years to sort out and see if it was worth it. Precious has been the most needed player if the deal. Go figure!!!!!

crazy season! Enjoy the break!!

DLeethal

2/16/2024  10:09 AM
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

I feel like we sometimes ignore the fact that teams let guys walk all the time. It's part of the strategic long term team building process. You don't resign everybody that's good. Look at all the talent the Celtics have let walk or trade away over the years to tinker the lineup and make room for bloated salaries at the top of the roster. Knicks will have to make some tough decisions between iHart/Mitch, Precious, Burks. Not everyone will be resigned and retained.

Nalod
USA
2/16/2024  1:33 PM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

I feel like we sometimes ignore the fact that teams let guys walk all the time. It's part of the strategic long term team building process. You don't resign everybody that's good. Look at all the talent the Celtics have let walk or trade away over the years to tinker the lineup and make room for bloated salaries at the top of the roster. Knicks will have to make some tough decisions between iHart/Mitch, Precious, Burks. Not everyone will be resigned and retained.

We do ignore that players walk and its why we got Randle and Brunson!
Its rare the big stars do. We could talk about DM in this vein and its unlikley he still walk.
He can say “Im only resigning with Knicks” which will reduce his trade value but help him win a chip.
He could say “Nyets or Knicks” and create a bidding war. Bird rights are not something you ignore either.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
2/27/2024  7:15 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:I was dead wrong after the OGA trade and I hope I'm dead wrong here because I don't really like this trade. There was something pure and cool about having guys on the team who you drafted and now they are mostly all gone. I know Grimes didn't do himself any favors and his passive play at times and that's a big reason why we 'gave up' on him but I thought he was starting to come around with his shot and he took it to the basket a lot more and he always played great defense. I just don't like trading a 23 year old for a 32 and 34 year old.

We've had Burks here recently so we know what we're getting. He was really good for us in 2021. He can get his own shot and handle the ball which we needed. He'll help.

I do think everyone is overreacting a little bit with Bogdanovic. He's 34 and not a traditional Thibs type of player. And where is he going to play? He'll be behind Randle, OGA, Hart and Precious. Do not be surprised if he becomes Fournier on the bench and not playing.

I still think we're a second round team as long as we avoid the cHeat in round one. We can give Boston and Philly (with Embiid) a tough series but we'll be a heavy underdog in either series.

The best part of the trade is def holding onto the 1st round picks and Bogdanovic's salary to use in a trade.

You are not altogether wrong on this one. But in my opinion, probably more wrong than right. I think the statements about this being a windfall gain for the Knicks will be a little shortsighted and off. But I am happy with the trade.

Mechanically, if all they did on the Bogs/Fournier swap was prolong the 18mm of salary cap space filler, then a move of Fournier for Bogs would be validated. But there was cost. That trade costs should have been 1 first. We got that down to two seconds and the upside of Grimes over Burks. Someday.

Now, I think you could argue the Burks/Grimes swap resulted in us getting the better player, but my gut tells me that Grimes continues to develop and becomes the better overall player. Someday.

Now, I'd guess that McBride loses a few more minutes to Burks when everyone is healthy. I figure Bogs will get a shot at the starting PF spot until Randle and/or or OG comes back. Achiuwa will chew up more center minutes until Hart, Robinson and Sims come back.

All in all, I think they added points per minutes and floor spacing while giving up one more year of Grimes rookie scale contract and the RFA rights that come with a rookie scale contract.

The Bogs contract is a partial guaranty next year (2mm).

So, the real question is whether Bogs will be better or worse than Fournier defensively. The bar is not that high, but I have doubts whether Bogs will do better here than Fournier. But he can't possibly do worse.

I’m thinking about the analyses a month later and feel like the Burks I was expecting to get hasn’t been the Burks we actually got. I’m gonna keep an open mind until our starters come back, but was sad seeing Grimes be Grimes against us.

This is the Randle.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/28/2024  6:59 AM
I’m excited to see bogdanovic’s role grow with the team. I think he’s going to be extremely useful off the bench as they run offense thru him, and playing with the starters as a spot up shooter. He’s just what this team needed as some scoring replacement for Barrett/ quickley. As far as Burks, it’s really hard to fully judge until some of the starters are back, but I think it’s going to be a lot closer between he and deuce for backup PG than I originally thought. Burks seems to be slower than he was a couple of years ago and struggles to create space.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/28/2024  11:22 AM
Knixkik wrote:I’m excited to see bogdanovic’s role grow with the team. I think he’s going to be extremely useful off the bench as they run offense thru him, and playing with the starters as a spot up shooter. He’s just what this team needed as some scoring replacement for Barrett/ quickley. As far as Burks, it’s really hard to fully judge until some of the starters are back, but I think it’s going to be a lot closer between he and deuce for backup PG than I originally thought. Burks seems to be slower than he was a couple of years ago and struggles to create space.

He needs to hit the shots he's been brought here to hit.

EwingsGlass
USA
2/28/2024  12:10 PM
Panos wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I’m excited to see bogdanovic’s role grow with the team. I think he’s going to be extremely useful off the bench as they run offense thru him, and playing with the starters as a spot up shooter. He’s just what this team needed as some scoring replacement for Barrett/ quickley. As far as Burks, it’s really hard to fully judge until some of the starters are back, but I think it’s going to be a lot closer between he and deuce for backup PG than I originally thought. Burks seems to be slower than he was a couple of years ago and struggles to create space.

Bogs worries me. He is good at hitting bad shots. Perhaps his midrange game opens up his 3 point. I just see a lot of off balance 14 foot bank shots and I think that would be bad to rely on those shots come playoff time.

This is the Randle.
DLeethal

2/28/2024  12:12 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Panos wrote:

Bogs worries me. He is good at hitting bad shots. Perhaps his midrange game opens up his 3 point. I just see a lot of off balance 14 foot bank shots and I think that would be bad to rely on those shots come playoff time.

If Bogs makes the final rotation he will be getting wide open looks. Randle gets guys wide open looks. Bogs will be staggered in different lineups and will feast off sickouts. Right now he's being asked to do too much creation.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

2/28/2024  1:05 PM
DLeethal wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Panos wrote:

If Bogs makes the final rotation he will be getting wide open looks. Randle gets guys wide open looks. Bogs will be staggered in different lineups and will feast off sickouts. Right now he's being asked to do too much creation.

Maybe it's confirmation bias (I've always liked Bojan) but I am very impressed with him offensively. He's been asked to play like a half-court engine so far. He's not bad at it but he's an off-ball scorer. I think he's the type of scorer that is better with better talent. He has the size, release, and cunning he can get off shots w/o a lot of space and can take advantage of small opportunities. The fact that he can create without any advantage should be a bonus and not his go-to. I only worry about his defense/rebound and Thib's trust level with him. I think he would be at his best not only with creators like Randle/Brunson but with as many other shooters as possible. Walking the tightrope trying to balance shooting versus defense and size will be a challenge

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/28/2024  1:12 PM
The Knicks have a very bad history of trading for and signing aging veterans who are past their prime. This trade is a nod to the bad old days. If we had traded Grimes for a player in his prime who filled a bigger need then I wouldn't be bitching. This was a bad trade.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/28/2024  1:22 PM
The true value of Bogdanovic won't be realized until Julius and OG comes back. He will open up the middle for randle and Brunson. He is a piece of the puzzle that we currently don't see due to injuries. Gotta be patient. On the other hand, Burks seems to be cooked.
EwingsGlass
USA
2/28/2024  1:32 PM
NYKBocker wrote:The true value of Bogdanovic won't be realized until Julius and OG comes back. He will open up the middle for randle and Brunson. He is a piece of the puzzle that we currently don't see due to injuries. Gotta be patient. On the other hand, Burks seems to be cooked.

This is how I want to feel about this.

This is the Randle.
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/28/2024  1:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2024  1:35 PM
NYKBocker wrote:The true value of Bogdanovic won't be realized until Julius and OG comes back. He will open up the middle for randle and Brunson. He is a piece of the puzzle that we currently don't see due to injuries. Gotta be patient. On the other hand, Burks seems to be cooked.

So you see him playing with the starters when we are healthy. In your scenario you are benching DDV?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/28/2024  1:47 PM
Rookie wrote:The Knicks have a very bad history of trading for and signing aging veterans who are past their prime. This trade is a nod to the bad old days. If we had traded Grimes for a player in his prime who filled a bigger need then I wouldn't be bitching. This was a bad trade.

I have to tell you, I am a little confused as to why the Knicks traded Grimes. All things being equal, trading Grimes for Bogs, especially considering age, doesn't make sense, right? That's easy.

So, if the Knicks didn't trade Grimes, they definitely have a different type of Obi/Randle situation with Grimes/DDV, right? And DDV is fitting that starting lineup like a Villanova born and breed Glove. So where are Grimes' minutes gonna come from? Cause DDV is deserving of even more than the 25mpg, right?

Or do we need to relearn that lesson again? Is it - was it - worth it keeping Grimes in that situation? Knowing DDV is playing at historical levels of shooting good at half the price of what Grimes could ask for in contract.

As well, Bogs is easier to move than Grimes moving forward. Grimes contract would be $4M next year, which is both a blessing and a hindrance cause you need to include other big contracts to match him into a bigger trade. You can keep Fournier but he is just dead weight.

Did the Knicks position themselves better for this playoffs as well as their next trade (draft, summer or after summer) than they would have if they kept Grimes?

Tough ask. But that seems like the consideration?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
2/28/2024  1:58 PM
I see him staggered with starters and second unit at the 3 and 4.
I'm very much not in an enthusiastic place that Randle will be his allstar self or sustain thru a long series.
Hope Im very wrong but my expectations are not super high thinking everyone returns and does so at the best version of themselves.
Offensively Bojan can fill in nice for Randle and OG can defend the 4. That might still be a very strong lineup for the playoffs.
Still these new guys have to get used to playing with new players and of that, lineups that keep changing due to injuries!
Alec played for Thibs but that roster was not the same. Can't just waltz in and it all gets groovy right away.
Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy