[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out
Author Thread
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

2/12/2024  1:39 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
VDesai wrote:Just look at Bojan Bogdonavic as an example. 31st pick in the draft. His rights were traded a few times, but he was drafted in 2011 and came over in 2014. Knicks haven't traded his rights yet, so I think they have some belief in him, bu won't start the clock on this guy till he's rotation ready. What we haven't heard from him is a lack of desire to come to the NBA. He also has shown the requisite development. With Grimes/RJ/Quick off the roster and a few contracts like Burks potentially running off, it might be his time. We'll see.

The only definitive thing we heard from his camp was that he has no interest in coming over without a legit role. Unless they open up a Quickley type role for him off the bench I don't think he will come play for us. I do think he will hold some value in a trade though. And it's possible they open up a legit role for him next year.

He’s a CAA client so I’m sure there’s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesn’t get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. There’s still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.

True, but there's no guarantee they bring Alec back after this year. His contract is up after this season.

I don't know if its cost effective to bring Burks back. IHart if he resigns will get a salary increase. Hart's extension will kick in. OG is due an extension, Precious is an RFA, and will need to decide if they want to hold on to Bojan or move him.

Given the trade Bojan will be here until there’s another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

Will depend on how the lux tax hits. It wouldn't be logical to allow Burks to put you in the penalty box. Either we make a trade for a star and fill in the holes with vet min vets looking to ring chase. Or we use the 2 first round draft picks as more cost effective options for the depth. Which may be the better play due to the combination of long term potential and cost effectiveness.

If Burks decides hell stay for super cheap though which is an option given the stage he is in his career. Then its moot.

Doubt we resign Burks unless this team makes a serious run for it this year and we want to run it back. Even in that scenario we probably don't. We are in a good spot to draft a couple kids, we could use a young guard and a young big. We also have Rokas. I think we can slide some younger guys back into the fold next year.

AUTOADVERT
Clean
Member: #743
2/12/2024  2:27 PM
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
VDesai wrote:Just look at Bojan Bogdonavic as an example. 31st pick in the draft. His rights were traded a few times, but he was drafted in 2011 and came over in 2014. Knicks haven't traded his rights yet, so I think they have some belief in him, bu won't start the clock on this guy till he's rotation ready. What we haven't heard from him is a lack of desire to come to the NBA. He also has shown the requisite development. With Grimes/RJ/Quick off the roster and a few contracts like Burks potentially running off, it might be his time. We'll see.

The only definitive thing we heard from his camp was that he has no interest in coming over without a legit role. Unless they open up a Quickley type role for him off the bench I don't think he will come play for us. I do think he will hold some value in a trade though. And it's possible they open up a legit role for him next year.

He’s a CAA client so I’m sure there’s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesn’t get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. There’s still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.

True, but there's no guarantee they bring Alec back after this year. His contract is up after this season.

I don't know if its cost effective to bring Burks back. IHart if he resigns will get a salary increase. Hart's extension will kick in. OG is due an extension, Precious is an RFA, and will need to decide if they want to hold on to Bojan or move him.

Given the trade Bojan will be here until there’s another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

Will depend on how the lux tax hits. It wouldn't be logical to allow Burks to put you in the penalty box. Either we make a trade for a star and fill in the holes with vet min vets looking to ring chase. Or we use the 2 first round draft picks as more cost effective options for the depth. Which may be the better play due to the combination of long term potential and cost effectiveness.

If Burks decides hell stay for super cheap though which is an option given the stage he is in his career. Then its moot.

Doubt we resign Burks unless this team makes a serious run for it this year and we want to run it back. Even in that scenario we probably don't. We are in a good spot to draft a couple kids, we could use a young guard and a young big. We also have Rokas. I think we can slide some younger guys back into the fold next year.

If I was a betting man I would bet we do sign him. You don't give up assets for a few months rental. Especially when he fits our team so perfectly and we actually needs what he brings. Unless someone massively overpays like the rockets did last offseason we should re-sign him.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/12/2024  2:32 PM
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
He;s a CAA client so I;m sure there;s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesnt get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. Theres still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.
Given the trade Bojan will be here until theres another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

If I was a betting man I would bet we do sign him. You don't give up assets for a few months rental. Especially when he fits our team so perfectly and we actually needs what he brings. Unless someone massively overpays like the rockets did last offseason we should re-sign him.

I agree I think there's a good chance he comes back. He's perfect in the role. But it might depend on price

DLeethal

2/12/2024  2:53 PM
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

I mean, teams do give up assets for a playoff run player at the deadline all the time. But we also will retain Bogs for another season. So for what we gave up, and given we are gonna keep Bogs barring a blockbuster, I think it's OK to not resign Burks if we prefer to roll with Deuce and a draft pick next year instead. You have to play the moneyball game, gotta let guys walk and replace them with rookie contracts sometimes.

DLeethal

2/12/2024  2:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/12/2024  2:56 PM
I'll go on the record and say next year I would prefer we look at Deuce/Rokas/mid 1st round draft pick to replace Burks role and let him walk. He is needed right now though.
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

2/12/2024  3:32 PM
DLeethal wrote:I'll go on the record and say next year I would prefer we look at Deuce/Rokas/mid 1st round draft pick to replace Burks role and let him walk. He is needed right now though.

agreed, unless Burks balls out, but I'd like to see what Rokas can do.

DLeethal

2/12/2024  4:29 PM
Especially when you consider we are most likely gonna give Hartenstein a big contract and OG. Gonna need to get some rookie contracts in here to balance the payroll. That Burks role is perfect for a mid-1st rookie where we can draft for "fit".
Clean
Member: #743
2/12/2024  4:58 PM
DLeethal wrote:I'll go on the record and say next year I would prefer we look at Deuce/Rokas/mid 1st round draft pick to replace Burks role and let him walk. He is needed right now though.

I personally would wait until playoff time. We saw it with Grimes and Quick last year. The playoffs is a whole different level than the regular season. Once teams gameplan you need to reach another level.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/12/2024  5:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/12/2024  5:29 PM
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
He;s a CAA client so I;m sure there;s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesnt get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. Theres still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.
Given the trade Bojan will be here until theres another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

I agree I think there's a good chance he comes back. He's perfect in the role. But it might depend on price

Yup this is where I stand. I bet he comes back if the price is right. He’s likely preferred over an unknown like Rokas given were things stand.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/12/2024  6:58 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Yup this is where I stand. I bet he comes back if the price is right. He’s likely preferred over an unknown like Rokas given were things stand.

Burks can either fight for MLE or cap space from another team, or he and agent, between now and start of free agency, can figure out an extension worthy of a Brock Aller-Donte negotiation session.

It'll be less than MLE, IMHO. Burks will be 33 and I'd guess he would settle for a reasonable 3 year deal worked out ahead of time instead of needing to (kinda sorta) wait until free agency to talk to other teams and find out what they have left after going for their priorities.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/12/2024  7:18 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Burks can either fight for MLE or cap space from another team, or he and agent, between now and start of free agency, can figure out an extension worthy of a Brock Aller-Donte negotiation session.

It'll be less than MLE, IMHO. Burks will be 33 and I'd guess he would settle for a reasonable 3 year deal worked out ahead of time instead of needing to (kinda sorta) wait until free agency to talk to other teams and find out what they have left after going for their priorities.

Three years? At least two of those years better have a team option.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/12/2024  7:28 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Three years? At least two of those years better have a team option.

He'll make less than Donte money which is a steal. I'd say Burks could ask for at least 2 years guaranteed and maybe push for 3 but not get it and settle for Team option.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
2/13/2024  6:06 AM
I don’t think we needed both Burks and Bogs. We only needed one gun slinger and one floor general. Burks is not the floor general we needed and Bogs is not a defender or playmaker.

Until our new guys get comfortable with the team, we will lose games we would’ve won if we never made any trades. Grimes right now would’ve impacted this team better than those guys. Hell EF is a better open shooter than Bogs right now, if Thibs played him. And both are defensive turn styles so that’s a wash.

I agree with most. When fully healthy we will see their impact. But I was thinking this trade supposed to help now while others are hurt and that’s not the case. We wouldn’t have lost 3 straight before the trade.

Let’s see how we look when Mitch is back after all star weekend.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

2/13/2024  7:02 AM
Some of you guys are off your Rokas if you think a Euro can just step in and give the same steady production an NBA vet like Burks can. Burks can competently play 1-3 as a starter or off the bench and This trusts him. I think we definitely resign him, a useful player like him at a mid level salary is also useful for trade purposes. Knicks will have his bird rights so they can also target someone else with the mle if needed.
Knixkik
USA
2/13/2024  7:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2024  7:51 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Some of you guys are off your Rokas if you think a Euro can just step in and give the same steady production an NBA vet like Burks can. Burks can competently play 1-3 as a starter or off the bench and This trusts him. I think we definitely resign him, a useful player like him at a mid level salary is also useful for trade purposes. Knicks will have his bird rights so they can also target someone else with the mle if needed.

Agreed. The Knicks are ahead of schedule as far as competing and I don’t see Rokas wanting to come to a situation like this as well as the Knicks sacrificing someone like Burks to make it happen. They avoided the luxury tax/ apron this year and they are likely ok going into one or both next year. I’ll be very surprised if Burks isn’t resigned for a contract similar to what he has now. Maybe a 1 + 1 with a team option on the second year but getting him his money. Thibs loves Burks off the bench and he plays 3 positions.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/13/2024  9:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2024  9:36 AM
Hate losing Grimes but when one door closes two open.
Right now those doors became Bojan and ALec.
The future? Who knows how this all plays out. I assume we keep Bojan who is obviously more valuable than EF was. We had to attach an asset to move him, and so will someone else if we decide as such. Bojan an injury risk? Do we pay him. His 2mil and two years at 10 each? Whats his salary in an open market?

Im to assume Dallas pick will hit this year. They made some nice moves and will assume the pick will be in the high teens to low twenties. With ours, we pick up two players if aller does not do his thing. If we bring in perhaps one will be a rotation player we can fawn over with glee. “Weak” drafts prove otherwise often when the real talent exists in lower picks.

What is burks worth in the open market? What other teams will seek him out and at what cost? Can we match it and what kind of opportunity can we promise? By that, someone can push him to the bench like Grimes did to EF type situation. It happens. Thibs likes him but we might draft someone he prefers to develop?

For all the good press the trade has bought and fans eating it up last night we saw the reality that these guys are not saviors and this team will struggle until healthy and they get the mojo back.

As for Rokas? Write him off. Until he makes a commitment to come and take the risk no team is going to pave him a guarantee for a rotation until he can prove himself. He’ll want a mulit year player option type deal. Why not, if he kills it he gets more money and guarantee. If not, he can take the check or opt out and go back home. Is there a middle ground? Could be. But this dude won’t do summer league and spend time at practice facility.
Do we give him one of those april signing things for $400k were he comes in during the summer and work on his game?
Or he play with national team before olympics? I gather the latter.
IQ is gone and he’d have to compete with Deuce for minutes. Two different players and thibs trusts Deuce defense acumen. We paid a euro few years back AFTER the season and he got hurt. We paid Isiah Roby last year similar.
He has yet to crack out of Westchester. Not like we did not need a large PF type either!!!!

DLeethal

2/13/2024  9:33 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Some of you guys are off your Rokas if you think a Euro can just step in and give the same steady production an NBA vet like Burks can. Burks can competently play 1-3 as a starter or off the bench and This trusts him. I think we definitely resign him, a useful player like him at a mid level salary is also useful for trade purposes. Knicks will have his bird rights so they can also target someone else with the mle if needed.

I don't think it's off. Burks value right now is coming to us as a decimated team. What's his role at full strength? It's a minimal one. I think the point is we can give Deuce more of a defined role next year instead of a utility 3rd stringer and add some younger able bodies around him. With Deuce, Hart, Precious, Mitch or iHart we have 4 very capable bench players already. We don't really need to sign a 33/34 year old to a legit contract to boot.

DLeethal

2/13/2024  9:37 AM
If Deuce gets a legit role next year, the Burks role is a low minute support role. Get a talented rookie in there to play it. Even the Celtics have done that as they let guys walk they groomed guys like Pritchard and Houser to fill roles cheaply off the bench. It's necessary to operate that way.
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

2/13/2024  9:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2024  9:59 AM
Yea I can def see Rokas coming in and being an immediate impact player. And Miles could be trade bait as well with his new contract it adds salary for a big trade.

these EURO guys know how to play and all reports are Rokas is a savy, high IQ guy.

Knixkik
USA
2/13/2024  9:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2024  10:00 AM
DLeethal wrote:

I don't think it's off. Burks value right now is coming to us as a decimated team. What's his role at full strength? It's a minimal one. I think the point is we can give Deuce more of a defined role next year instead of a utility 3rd stringer and add some younger able bodies around him. With Deuce, Hart, Precious, Mitch or iHart we have 4 very capable bench players already. We don't really need to sign a 33/34 year old to a legit contract to boot.

I think Burks value when this team is fully healthy is the backup to Brunson. Burks, Bogdanovic, hart and one of the centers is the bench rotation for a 9-man rotation. Deuce is back to his situational 10th man role. Burks is still too good to not help this team at least in the non-Brunson minutes. I know he’s no point guard but he’s a shot creator off the bench which is what is needed.

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy