[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out
Author Thread
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

2/11/2024  3:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/11/2024  3:35 PM
I don't think it's crazy to talk about Rokas. All signs point to him being a really good player, and one that would probably do fine in the NBA. Last we heard from his camp was that he wasn't coming here without a legit role. But it's not crazy to think he holds some trade value or that the FO, slick as they are, would find a role for him in one of the upcoming years to replace some depth after a big trade or something. Euro's come over years after getting drafted, and come over in their mid 20s, all the time.
AUTOADVERT
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

2/11/2024  5:49 PM
Rokas was a late second round pick. As a rule, these guys cap out as back ups and most are out of the league in two or three years.
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
2/11/2024  11:19 PM
gradyandrew wrote:Rokas was a late second round pick. As a rule, these guys cap out as back ups and most are out of the league in two or three years.

Hard to make that case without exception. You could argue that most draft picks end up as backups.

This is the Randle.
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

2/12/2024  7:11 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Rokas was a late second round pick. As a rule, these guys cap out as back ups and most are out of the league in two or three years.

Was not a late second rounder. Rokas was drafted ahead of Deuce and the wing from New Orleans Herb Jones, who was drafted in-between the Rokas and Deuce picks

BrunsonBurner
Member: #9185
USA
2/12/2024  7:23 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:

Was not a late second rounder. Rokas was drafted ahead of Deuce and the wing from New Orleans Herb Jones, who was drafted in-between the Rokas and Deuce picks

Yep. 34th pick. Early 2nd. OKC drafted him we traded for his rights.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/12/2024  9:12 AM
BrunsonBurner wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:

Yep. 34th pick. Early 2nd. OKC drafted him we traded for his rights.

Moving back only 2 spots to get both 34/36 which ended up being Deuce and Rokas was incredible value.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

2/12/2024  9:13 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:

Well if that's the rule

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/12/2024  10:23 AM
Knixkik wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:"In Case of emergency, break glass and bring out ROKAS!"
or

"Keep Calm and bring over Rokas"

How is he doing? one can look at YouTube video highlights as the fan scouting tool and drool.
One can look at his stat line and be the sourpuss NBA dude that slams him as his stats suck.....
They play 40 min games I believe and euro PG's play like hell, then sub out. They don't shoot a lot either, they are playmakers and passers.
I have no idea how this guy's game will translate. he is 23 this season and little is being written up on him. No buzz about his game and the summer league thing is likely not ever to happen. Few if any dudes that age go. Plus he has played well in FIBA to be evaluated.

One has to assume if it has not happened yet its not going to? He has limited athletic chops but from what I see he can play.

Yeah this is also how I view it. There’s no real way to evaluate him right now. So little is being written about his play this year too. He’s the lead guard of a lineup consisting of mostly previous nba players, but it’s impossible to know how his game will translate. In theory he’s a nice player to bring over as a pure PG who is somewhat nba ready to back up Brunson, but does he want to come over to a deep, established team that he will have to break through to see a real rotation spot ? Also impossible to say.

I agree hard to judge but the eye test with highlights he looks big & solid for a point but definitely NOT quick or fluid + all left hand (RJ?).

I don’t see Dragic quickness or even Rubio but maybe the kid is legit — maybe he’s highly intelligent on court. Would be great story if he could contribute.

I think the most likely outcome would be getting a prigioni level backup which wouldn’t be bad.

It would be great if he were some type of big legit defender at the point but no idea if he can move his feet.

DLeethal

2/12/2024  11:25 AM

He was a Euro stash pick. Plenty of precedent for those to not come over for a few years. It's not a conventional second round pick.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/12/2024  11:33 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroLeague_Rising_Star

Rokus isn't just a 2nd round pick euro player. He won rising star in 2022. Majority of those players listed have made an NBA stint to see if they got what it takes.

Rokus in the hypothetical would be asked to hit open threes that Freak & Brunson create. And be a 2ndary ball handler distributor. Think that role could fit his skill set especially at the 2.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/12/2024  11:45 AM
Just look at Bojan Bogdonavic as an example. 31st pick in the draft. His rights were traded a few times, but he was drafted in 2011 and came over in 2014. Knicks haven't traded his rights yet, so I think they have some belief in him, bu won't start the clock on this guy till he's rotation ready. What we haven't heard from him is a lack of desire to come to the NBA. He also has shown the requisite development. With Grimes/RJ/Quick off the roster and a few contracts like Burks potentially running off, it might be his time. We'll see.
DLeethal

2/12/2024  11:57 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroLeague_Rising_Star

Rokus isn't just a 2nd round pick euro player. He won rising star in 2022. Majority of those players listed have made an NBA stint to see if they got what it takes.

Rokus in the hypothetical would be asked to hit open threes that Freak & Brunson create. And be a 2ndary ball handler distributor. Think that role could fit his skill set especially at the 2.

I don't remember exactly what I read but I recall last year or in the offseason there was a lot of good press on what Rokas was doing overseas. He is a legit prospect.

DLeethal

2/12/2024  11:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/12/2024  11:58 AM
VDesai wrote:Just look at Bojan Bogdonavic as an example. 31st pick in the draft. His rights were traded a few times, but he was drafted in 2011 and came over in 2014. Knicks haven't traded his rights yet, so I think they have some belief in him, bu won't start the clock on this guy till he's rotation ready. What we haven't heard from him is a lack of desire to come to the NBA. He also has shown the requisite development. With Grimes/RJ/Quick off the roster and a few contracts like Burks potentially running off, it might be his time. We'll see.

The only definitive thing we heard from his camp was that he has no interest in coming over without a legit role. Unless they open up a Quickley type role for him off the bench I don't think he will come play for us. I do think he will hold some value in a trade though. And it's possible they open up a legit role for him next year.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/12/2024  12:20 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:"In Case of emergency, break glass and bring out ROKAS!"
or

"Keep Calm and bring over Rokas"

How is he doing? one can look at YouTube video highlights as the fan scouting tool and drool.
One can look at his stat line and be the sourpuss NBA dude that slams him as his stats suck.....
They play 40 min games I believe and euro PG's play like hell, then sub out. They don't shoot a lot either, they are playmakers and passers.
I have no idea how this guy's game will translate. he is 23 this season and little is being written up on him. No buzz about his game and the summer league thing is likely not ever to happen. Few if any dudes that age go. Plus he has played well in FIBA to be evaluated.

One has to assume if it has not happened yet its not going to? He has limited athletic chops but from what I see he can play.

Yeah this is also how I view it. There’s no real way to evaluate him right now. So little is being written about his play this year too. He’s the lead guard of a lineup consisting of mostly previous nba players, but it’s impossible to know how his game will translate. In theory he’s a nice player to bring over as a pure PG who is somewhat nba ready to back up Brunson, but does he want to come over to a deep, established team that he will have to break through to see a real rotation spot ? Also impossible to say.

I agree hard to judge but the eye test with highlights he looks big & solid for a point but definitely NOT quick or fluid + all left hand (RJ?).

I don’t see Dragic quickness or even Rubio but maybe the kid is legit — maybe he’s highly intelligent on court. Would be great story if he could contribute.

I think the most likely outcome would be getting a prigioni level backup which wouldn’t be bad.

It would be great if he were some type of big legit defender at the point but no idea if he can move his feet.

From what I remember in SL, he wasn't bad but I wouldn't call him great he is 6'4" though, so you could play him in the same backcourt as Deuce. Also, he looks a bit quicker and confident from the last highlights I've seen

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
2/12/2024  12:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/12/2024  12:30 PM
DLeethal wrote:
VDesai wrote:Just look at Bojan Bogdonavic as an example. 31st pick in the draft. His rights were traded a few times, but he was drafted in 2011 and came over in 2014. Knicks haven't traded his rights yet, so I think they have some belief in him, bu won't start the clock on this guy till he's rotation ready. What we haven't heard from him is a lack of desire to come to the NBA. He also has shown the requisite development. With Grimes/RJ/Quick off the roster and a few contracts like Burks potentially running off, it might be his time. We'll see.

The only definitive thing we heard from his camp was that he has no interest in coming over without a legit role. Unless they open up a Quickley type role for him off the bench I don't think he will come play for us. I do think he will hold some value in a trade though. And it's possible they open up a legit role for him next year.

He’s a CAA client so I’m sure there’s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesn’t get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. There’s still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/12/2024  12:36 PM
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

He’s a CAA client so I’m sure there’s a plan in place for him. I think if Burks doesn’t get resigned it will open up an opportunity. But if Burks does come back not sure what happens. There’s still a gap on the roster for a backup PG, but no guarantee for a rotation spot given how Thibs likes to use Burks.

True, but there's no guarantee they bring Alec back after this year. His contract is up after this season.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
2/12/2024  12:46 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

True, but there's no guarantee they bring Alec back after this year. His contract is up after this season.

I don't know if its cost effective to bring Burks back. IHart if he resigns will get a salary increase. Hart's extension will kick in. OG is due an extension, Precious is an RFA, and will need to decide if they want to hold on to Bojan or move him.

Knixkik
USA
2/12/2024  1:01 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

I don't know if its cost effective to bring Burks back. IHart if he resigns will get a salary increase. Hart's extension will kick in. OG is due an extension, Precious is an RFA, and will need to decide if they want to hold on to Bojan or move him.

Given the trade Bojan will be here until there’s another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

DLeethal

2/12/2024  1:15 PM
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

I did not know he was CAA, good info, I think Rokas is still a card to be played then for sure.

newyorknewyork
2/12/2024  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/12/2024  1:18 PM
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Given the trade Bojan will be here until there’s another major trade. Burks is more questionable I agree but seems like the Knicks want to keep the guys who fit well for depth. Seems silly just to let Burks walk.

Will depend on how the lux tax hits. It wouldn't be logical to allow Burks to put you in the penalty box. Either we make a trade for a star and fill in the holes with vet min vets looking to ring chase. Or we use the 2 first round draft picks as more cost effective options for the depth. Which may be the better play due to the combination of long term potential and cost effectiveness.

If Burks decides hell stay for super cheap though which is an option given the stage he is in his career. Then its moot.

Alec Burks coming back, Bojan Bogdanovic too. Fournier, Grimes, Flynn, Archie out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy