[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Will the ascending rise of iHart, make Mitch expendable?
Author Thread
BingBong
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #9036

1/31/2024  10:32 AM
I've struggled with the idea of losing iHart at the end of the season, as he will be out of our price range. But he has put on a show since handed the position of starting Center. He has shown he does far more than just rebound, he has "high basketball I.Q." and instinctively facilitates the chemistry of the team. He sees the whole court, not just the paint, and he can make deft passes and take quick advantage of opponents' mistakes. Like it or not, the Knicks are going to have to choose between Mitch and iHart in the very near future.

An interesting quote from Jazz coach Will Hardy on Isaiah Hartenstein: "I don't live in this media market, I don't know how much he's talked about, but watching him on film, his value is unbelievable. This guy is everywhere. Even the ones he doesn't get, he's occupying so many people on the glass. He's relentless. You have to match that on every - single - possession...and the one time you slip up, he taps it back out, or he gets the rebound."

I personally love Mitch, but iHart appears, to me anyway, as a better fit for this team. He facilitates the offense so much better with his passing and is far more involved with the "Five-on-the-Floor" than just working his position. He's part of the chemistry that seems to be pretty close to perfect right now. I noticed him patting Achiuwa on the back and off to the side talking to him that put a big smile on Achiuwa's face, and you could see his appreciation. In short, iHart seems to be taking Precious under his wing and getting him involved, encouraging him, and stroking his confidence. Not sure Mitch would do that, but that's not fair to speculate about that...maybe he would

I don't know. We are going to have a dilemma on our hands soon. Can't keep them both. As a side note, Mitch's trade value stretches our asset chest to meteoric heights. What does everyone on this board think? Do we have to let one go? If so, Mitch or iHart?

AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/31/2024  10:36 AM
I mean Precious is entering this conversation too right now TBH.

Keep all 3 until a trade presents itself. Mitch is expendable only if it makes us better, he's not someone we would just dump for the sake of it. His contract is descending too which increases his value.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/31/2024  10:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  10:41 AM
I would pay iHart big money and move on from Mitch if that was required tbh. I'd rather keep them both. But if iHart is going to command a salary that would make it ridiculous to pay Mitch to come off the bench, then I'm keeping iHart. Precious and Jericho are fine backups. Mitch is just not dependable with his injuries and his lack of touch on offense can be exposed in the playoffs. I also don't think either guy is going to be thrilled about coming off the bench long term at this point.
DLeethal

1/31/2024  10:39 AM
I would pay Mitch and iHart a combined 30M I think and keep that platoon intact. I think if iHart requires 20-25M salary you have to move Mitch though. You have to have reasonable payroll balance. iHart is a damn monster though, he's durable and worth a slight overpay because of how well he's played. I would not under any circumstance let another team steal him from us.
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  10:45 AM
DLeethal wrote:I would pay Mitch and iHart a combined 30M I think and keep that platoon intact. I think if iHart requires 20-25M salary you have to move Mitch though. You have to have reasonable payroll balance. iHart is a damn monster though, he's durable and worth a slight overpay because of how well he's played. I would not under any circumstance let another team steal him from us.

most we can pay Ihart is about 16-17m and I really dont see him getting that. Centers aren't paid a ton unless they are legit two way players who space the floor.

Ihart has been great but he's limited and we're seeing Precious do things that Ihart can't.

I think he's resign for around $15m per year and we'll keep both for now. But long term I think we could move Mitch, especially if Precious keeps this up.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  10:49 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:I would pay Mitch and iHart a combined 30M I think and keep that platoon intact. I think if iHart requires 20-25M salary you have to move Mitch though. You have to have reasonable payroll balance. iHart is a damn monster though, he's durable and worth a slight overpay because of how well he's played. I would not under any circumstance let another team steal him from us.

most we can pay Ihart is about 16-17m and I really dont see him getting that. Centers aren't paid a ton unless they are legit two way players who space the floor.

Ihart has been great but he's limited and we're seeing Precious do things that Ihart can't.

I think he's resign for around $15m per year and we'll keep both for now. But long term I think we could move Mitch, especially if Precious keeps this up.

That's good to know. He and Mitch are apparently good buddies too which I think helps the "who starts" conversation. They both know they will play 25 mpg-ish. iHart probably knows Mitch will miss many games most years. They are probably fine with a platoon. iHart likes it here and I think he will probably stay if the Knicks give him the max they can give as a show of good faith and gratitude.

BingBong
Member: #9036

1/31/2024  10:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  10:51 AM

You know that if Will Hardy notices iHart's talent and value to the Knicks, every other coach in the NBA notices it as well. Because of it, I don't think iHart wants anything less than being a starter on a team. If he goes on the free market, he's going to get paid big money as he will have a lot of options and a bidding war will take place. I'm just a fan, so my opinion is as good (or bad) as the next fan, but I wouldn't let iHart go. He'd probably end up in Boston or Philadelphia...and of course the Lakers would be weighing in, as they are always doing.
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  10:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  10:54 AM
BingBong wrote:

You know that if Will Hardy notices iHart's talent and value to the Knicks, every other coach in the NBA notices it as well. Because of it, I don't think iHart wants anything less than being a starter on a team. If he goes on the free market, he's going to get paid big money as he will have a lot of options and a bidding war will take place. I'm just a fan, so my opinion is as good (or bad) as the next fan, but I wouldn't let iHart go. He'd probably end up in Boston or Philadelphia...and of course the Lakers would be weighing in, as they are always doing.

ehh I dont see teams blowing a ton of cap on Ihart. he wouldn't start in BOS or PHI either. how many contenders WOULD he start on? and how many losing teams would pay him big money?

I don't see it, I think he's a $15m player more or less who can play 24-26mpg. He's a in a perfect platoon with Mitch, neither are 30+mpg players IMO.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  11:06 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

ehh I dont see teams blowing a ton of cap on Ihart. he wouldn't start in BOS or PHI either. how many contenders WOULD he start on? and how many losing teams would pay him big money?

I don't see it, I think he's a $15m player more or less who can play 24-26mpg. He's a in a perfect platoon with Mitch, neither are 30+mpg players IMO.

I could see a team giving him 20-25M. iHart is proving damn well he's a 30+ mpg player. He's playing C on the leagues best defense, winning games all while playing 30+. I think he will draw heavy interest. I hope we can keep him. I think he might see 20M offers and we will need to max him but I haven't looked at the teams with cap space yet.

nycericanguy

1/31/2024  11:09 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

I could see a team giving him 20-25M. iHart is proving damn well he's a 30+ mpg player. He's playing C on the leagues best defense, winning games all while playing 30+. I think he will draw heavy interest. I hope we can keep him. I think he might see 20M offers and we will need to max him but I haven't looked at the teams with cap space yet.

if he's willing to leave for 20m so be it, we cant be the ones to pay it. Precious is good insurance for that.

but he's never been more than 24-25mpg player, same as Mitch. I can't ever remember a C getting $20m while averaging the numbers he does. He won't even average 10 and 10, and he doesn't space the floor.

He has a great role here, but he's a limited player.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2024  11:15 AM
Not all are plug and play.
iHart did play well before he got here and we got him for a discount.
Teams will cap have other needs and other players. There is also the fact that not all team will utilize him like we do.
Issue: Mitch is broken. Yep, he is not durable like Rudy is. He not paid like him either so its hard to quantify.
How would mitch have been since the trade? Would Not quite sure. Mitch was beasting but team has move on and ball movement is better. iHart passing has been great!
Im thinking Mitch value and contract should still good but not great. If we can keep both that be super.
Maybe Mitch has to show as healthy before a trade. Valachunas is a FA this summer and perhaps we can swing a deal to get him to Nola. They make the same salary BTW.
Nola has playoff aspirations so not thinking it happens this season unless they are tanking it and do a light reboot. Very light, they are not far from being good.

what do we think of Sims? He has a club option next year. We keep him and he seems to be improving. We all love him but objectively he is 25 and while owning some athletic gifts does his skill set measure enough progress to give him a solid role? Would another team give him an opportunity?

DLeethal

1/31/2024  11:30 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

if he's willing to leave for 20m so be it, we cant be the ones to pay it. Precious is good insurance for that.

but he's never been more than 24-25mpg player, same as Mitch. I can't ever remember a C getting $20m while averaging the numbers he does. He won't even average 10 and 10, and he doesn't space the floor.

iHart is only 25. Doesn't really matter if he's never been that kind of player before, he's proving he is now as he's entering his prime years. Brunson didn't play more than 25 mpg either until he was 25.

He's really not that limited, he can do a lot of things from the C position, the number of guys who can replicate his skillset you can probably count on one hand. The only thing he's limited with is shooting deep ball. But he can dribble, pass, face up and go downhill, great touch around the basket, strong power finisher, and a really good defender. He's durable and hits his FTs. Rare breed at C IMO.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/31/2024  11:37 AM
he's real good, as is Mitch. I'd personally retain both, knowing we could flip one later. It's not like lineups are etched in stone
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2024  11:44 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:he's real good, as is Mitch. I'd personally retain both, knowing we could flip one later. It's not like lineups are etched in stone

How did Mitches injury happen, and is it going to be chronic. This is not his first surgery or extended time away.

nycericanguy

1/31/2024  11:50 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

iHart is only 25. Doesn't really matter if he's never been that kind of player before, he's proving he is now as he's entering his prime years. Brunson didn't play more than 25 mpg either until he was 25.

He's really not that limited, he can do a lot of things from the C position, the number of guys who can replicate his skillset you can probably count on one hand. The only thing he's limited with is shooting deep ball. But he can dribble, pass, face up and go downhill, great touch around the basket, strong power finisher, and a really good defender. He's durable and hits his FTs. Rare breed at C IMO.

we'll see, I think we resign him for 4/60m

DLeethal

1/31/2024  11:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  11:55 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

That would be ideal, it really all depends on who has cap space this year. All it takes is one team who needs a young C. We've been able to secure the guys we want, who want to be here, at reasonable deals across the board. I am hopeful this will fall in line with that.

JesseDark
Member: #467
1/31/2024  12:15 PM
IHart is gonna deserve the bag $ at the end of the season. He has out played his value and I don't think we would match an offer for him. Plus we are seeing some promise in Precious.
Bring back dee-fense
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  12:38 PM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

That would be ideal, it really all depends on who has cap space this year. All it takes is one team who needs a young C. We've been able to secure the guys we want, who want to be here, at reasonable deals across the board. I am hopeful this will fall in line with that.

curious what OG signs for, if he takes $30m then it makes me think these guys all want to be here and will take team friendly deals. Can't imagine we traded for OG without having a number in place, and I'd be surprised if that number was 40.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  12:40 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BingBong wrote:

curious what OG signs for, if he takes $30m then it makes me think these guys all want to be here and will take team friendly deals. Can't imagine we traded for OG without having a number in place, and I'd be surprised if that number was 40.

OG will get the bag. I do think he will be as fair as possible though. But he gonna get 30 at least I think.

EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
1/31/2024  12:49 PM
iHart is worth the max we can give him at 14mm or so on the early bird extension. I hope he takes a 2 year 14mm with an opt out after 1 year. We can re-visit a real extension when we have full bird rights. The rest of the roster should be pretty set by then.
This is the Randle.
Will the ascending rise of iHart, make Mitch expendable?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy