[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[Game Thread 1/30/24 @7:30PM] Knicks vs Jazz
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/31/2024  7:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  7:59 AM
two games without OG, 97.5ppg allowed.

That's why I struggle to say OG was the only reason our defense got so much better. Sometimes a long season is just ebbs and flows, and we just happened to have a much easier schedule after the OG trade. but it does make me keep wondering if RJ was a problem on both ends.

Crazy how bad we looked the 2 games Brunson was out, and how great we look even without Randle... Feels like you can surround Brunson with some shooters and defenders and he's good enough to win even without a 2nd star. he's just a winner, period. Amazing watching this guy night in and night out.

we have winners on this team, high IQ guys that just make the right plays, very refreshing. Brunson, DDV, Hart, you just can trust them.

AUTOADVERT
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/31/2024  8:08 AM
nycericanguy wrote:two games without OG, 97.5ppg allowed.

That's why I struggle to say OG was the only reason our defense got so much better. Sometimes a long season is just ebbs and flows, and we just happened to have a much easier schedule after the OG trade. but it does make me keep wondering if RJ was a problem on both ends.

Crazy how bad we looked the 2 games Brunson was out, and how great we look even without Randle... Feels like you can surround Brunson with some shooters and defenders and he's good enough to win even without a 2nd star. he's just a winner, period. Amazing watching this guy night in and night out.

we have winners on this team, high IQ guys that just make the right plays, very refreshing. Brunson, DDV, Hart, you just can trust them.

Pride before the fall. Pat yourself on the back for beating Charlotte. Westchester would have given them a run and we left it interesting for the first half. Utah is a volatile team - volume shooters with low eFG. When they hit, they win. When the miss they lose. 50/50 ish team that’s supposed to be tanking.

Tomorrow night’s game against Indiana will probably blow up our PointsAgainst. I’d feel a lot more comfortable if we had OG locking down one of their shooters. They gave Boston a run without Mathurin.

Then we have the Lakers. They get more foul calls than us.

I’m impressed with our teams wins, but they weren’t particularly pretty even if they grinder out double digit gains.

You could say the removal of Barrett on defense was a large portion of the change.

This is the Randle.
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  8:18 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:

Pride before the fall. Pat yourself on the back for beating Charlotte. Westchester would have given them a run and we left it interesting for the first half. Utah is a volatile team - volume shooters with low eFG. When they hit, they win. When the miss they lose. 50/50 ish team that’s supposed to be tanking.

Tomorrow night’s game against Indiana will probably blow up our PointsAgainst. I’d feel a lot more comfortable if we had OG locking down one of their shooters. They gave Boston a run without Mathurin.

Then we have the Lakers. They get more foul calls than us.

I’m impressed with our teams wins, but they weren’t particularly pretty even if they grinder out double digit gains.

You could say the removal of Barrett on defense was a large portion of the change.

hope OG comes back for that game, IND plays so fast.

Precious has really impressed me. We've been spoiled with C play but we've also forgotten what a quick, mobile C can look like. Precious looks like a SF out there yet can guard almost every position.

Honestly if we lose Mitch or Ihart we'll be more than fine at C if we keep PA.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/31/2024  8:38 AM

This team without Randle can really load up on defenders at every position. If OG was out there we would have held CHA and UTAH to 80 points.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  8:47 AM
I'm very impressed with Precious' fill-in at the 4 spot. He's shown some ability to stretch with some ball handling, perimeter cuts, occasional 3, even faced up and went to work a couple times and finished with a bucket. He's a good utility player for us. No nonsense just plays and doesn't matter if it's 5 mins or 40 mins.

DDV is just amazing. Words can't really express how good he's been for us. What a joy to watch, that kid is box office and you can tell he's gonna be a big game player.

Watching the Nova boys start has been awesome. They have such an affinity for playing with each other, they play hard AF, share the ball, it just trickles to the rest of the team. The whole team was relentless last night.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  8:49 AM
This team, without Randle, is still going to be very good when we get OG back into the lineup. They can retool themselves into a dangerous team with or without Randle. Obviously we need Randle back for playoffs, but I'm excited to see how we play with OG back in the meantime.
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  8:51 AM
DLeethal wrote:This team, without Randle, is still going to be very good when we get OG back into the lineup. They can retool themselves into a dangerous team with or without Randle. Obviously we need Randle back for playoffs, but I'm excited to see how we play with OG back in the meantime.

and Randle is nearing 30... so it's nice to see we can win without him.

I could see a scenario where we build something really sustainable long term with all the picks we have.

I mean that DAL pick could end up in the lotto this year. DAL is a mess.

nycericanguy

1/31/2024  8:53 AM
DLeethal wrote:

This team without Randle can really load up on defenders at every position. If OG was out there we would have held CHA and UTAH to 80 points.

ehh UTAH came in averaging about 118 per game, no one's holding them to 80.

Something has clicked with this team, maybe it was the OG trade, but we are back to defending now regardless of whos on court.

can't discount Grimes, Miles and DDV playing more, those 3 can really defend.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  8:59 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Something has clicked with this team, maybe it was the OG trade, but we are back to defending now regardless of whos on court.

This would have never happened without the trade. Just accept it. Of course subtracting Randle, RJ, IQ with heavy doses of Precious/Hart/DDV/Grimes/Deuce will make our D better. OG sat when Randle sat, and we all know Randle is the biggest weak link in our defensive rotations. They have 8 defense-first guys playing with Brunson right now.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/31/2024  9:08 AM
I really want all Knicks fans to take today and enjoy what we just witnessed cause it hasn't happened in almost 30 years. We just had one of the best month's in Knicks history! We blew out contenders! There are even whispers starting in the media about us making a potential Finals run!

Thibs deserves a lot of credit! He's got this team playing team basketball and most importantly, defending! In a league where teams are routinely giving up 120, 130 and 140 points, we are holding teams under 100 on average during this win streak!

Leon deserves a ton of credit too! Second offseason in a row he's had the very best FA signing in the entire league with Brunson and DVo, who has looked like prime Klay the past 2 games. And kudos to Leon for acquiring Achiuwa too! He's looked really good the past few games!

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/31/2024  9:09 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

This would have never happened without the trade. Just accept it. Of course subtracting Randle, RJ, IQ with heavy doses of Precious/Hart/DDV/Grimes/Deuce will make our D better. OG sat when Randle sat, and we all know Randle is the biggest weak link in our defensive rotations. They have 8 defense-first guys playing with Brunson right now.

Reminds me a little of those Sixer teams with Iverson surrounded by Mutombo, Snow, McKie, Hill, Lynch and Bell.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  9:12 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

Reminds me a little of those Sixer teams with Iverson surrounded by Mutombo, Snow, McKie, Hill, Lynch and Bell.

Yep, that's how DAL should build around Luka tbh. Not to get too off topic. Same with Hawks and Trae. When you have a ball dominant elite iso player you surround them with defenders, rebounders, shooters. But not a bunch of offensive players.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  9:14 AM
SergioNYK wrote:I really want all Knicks fans to take today and enjoy what we just witnessed cause it hasn't happened in almost 30 years. We just had one of the best month's in Knicks history! We blew out contenders! There are even whispers starting in the media about us making a potential Finals run!

Thibs deserves a lot of credit! He's got this team playing team basketball and most importantly, defending! In a league where teams are routinely giving up 120, 130 and 140 points, we are holding teams under 100 on average during this win streak!

Leon deserves a ton of credit too! Second offseason in a row he's had the very best FA signing in the entire league with Brunson and DVo, who has looked like prime Klay the past 2 games. And kudos to Leon for acquiring Achiuwa too! He's looked really good the past few games!

My favorite part of last game was when Thibs has an uber-small lineup in with Hart at the 4 and 3 other guards and Utah was trying to expose us with a huge lineup with Lauri, Olynyk, Kessler. It was like something out of the twilight zone.

nycericanguy

1/31/2024  9:25 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

OG is responsible directly and indirectly, but my main question was, there's no way one player alone changes our defense that much. There's alot of indirect correlation going on right now.

Right now us playing so well without Mitch and Randle... I mean Randle is due a new contract in 2 years, and maxing him at 32 years of age for his declining years is something that we may not have to do. We might be well positioned to just move on from the Randle era at that point unless the money makes sense.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  9:50 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

OG is responsible directly and indirectly, but my main question was, there's no way one player alone changes our defense that much. There's alot of indirect correlation going on right now.

Right now us playing so well without Mitch and Randle... I mean Randle is due a new contract in 2 years, and maxing him at 32 years of age for his declining years is something that we may not have to do. We might be well positioned to just move on from the Randle era at that point unless the money makes sense.

Yea, there is a lot of direct and indirect things occurring simultaneously to lead to this run and our defensive dominance for sure. Some addition by subtracting (with RJ and now with Randle), then you have our best defensive guys eating up all those extra minutes, then you have adding an all NBA wing defender at a position we had no defense previously. It's everything. But the trade was the catalyst, we don't have this defensive transformation without it.

I think the Randle situation is pretty simple. If Knicks are legit contenders you can re-sign him and keep making title pushes. If we aren't, we can move him. But I don't think you give him a max deal at 32 y/o unless you are heavy in contention and will be in those years you sign him for. Teams get to a point where they are contending and over the cap and it's worth overpaying their guys to keep in contention. Kinda like MIL with Middleton. They aren't in a position to let key guys walk because they don't have the path to replace them with the same level of talent. So keep them and keep pushing for a title while you can.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/31/2024  9:51 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:

were you watching?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/31/2024  9:53 AM
Yeah Precious has been terrific for several games in a row now. Honestly the first half dozen or so games he looked fairly aimless out there. Clearly he needed time to adjust to the new team/system. Now that he has a strong idea of his role in the Thibs system he has been very valuable on both ends. Active and mobile on defense with the ability to guard the perimeter. He's not as stout guarding the rim as Mitch/iHart, but he makes up for it with recovery/mobility. On offense he is starting to make the right cuts to be in a position to get some easy finishes, and we're seeing some skill in the paint with some post moves and short jumpers. He is gaining the confidence to stretch out to the corners and shoot the 3 now as well.

Not sure how sustainable getting 30 combined points from Precious/iHart and 30 from DDV is, but its exactly what the doctor ordered with teams trying to double and triple Brunson. And by the way, Brunson is STILL getting 30 points himself, because the guy is absolutely incredible. Honestly he has the most perfect footwork I have seen on the basketball court since Hakeem Olajuwon. And beyond that he has insane touch and ability to get his shot off at different angles/draw fouls.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/31/2024  9:58 AM
On defense I just also think its an effort thing. We were playing great defensively in November - allowing the fewest ppg in the NBA. And then for some reason the wheels just came off in December - I can't explain why we were playing so badly, but we went from allowing like 106 ppg to 120+ ppg and we were having teams like Utah drop 130 on us. OG was a shot in the arm and he's clearly one of the best individual defenders in the NBA with rare abilities, but the intensity is back.

You wanna know why Thibs doesn't take starters out? In both of the last 2 games we had large leads at the end of the 3rd/early 4th and let both teams make inconsequential runs to get into the teens. But both were as a result of some intensity slippage on D. Uncontested layups, free cutters etc. And being in the arena yesterday, I could see Thibs WAS PISSED. He was barking at the team to pick it back up and he left them in the game IMO because he wanted them to make sure they kept working.

Its a culture, its a mindset and it has to be something that you keep doing consistently. I don't personally AGREE that the Knicks needed to have Brunson, DDV, Hart out there for close to 40 mins on the 2nd of a back to back, with a mathmetically insurmountable lead, but at the same time I think I see exactly why he did it.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/31/2024  10:09 AM
the trade was also a wake up call to the team that they could be next- so I think it helped get everyone focused again on D- and having a guy out there like OG has got to be inspiring both in terms of seeing his effort but knowing he is there to help.
nycericanguy

1/31/2024  10:12 AM
we're literally down 3 starters and even Grimes was out for a bit and people complaining about minutes. It's a huge reach at this point, especially considering Brunson is only playing 35.7mpg on the season.

Knicks don't have a single player in the top 10 in MPG, and we have a grand total of 3 players in the top 100.

This is a young team and if guys like Hart and Ihart have to step up and play 40 minutes because of numerous injuries so be it. Only in NY and only b/c "Thibs" is this under the microscope.

[Game Thread 1/30/24 @7:30PM] Knicks vs Jazz

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy