[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Knicks vs Hornets and the first “Shoulderless” game….
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/30/2024  8:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2024  8:54 AM
its crazy DDV is playing less than 23mpg on the season. feels like more because he contributes starter type numbers.

but his starting numbers are really damn good

Donte DiVincenzo has averaged 14.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 29 games as a starter this season in just 24.6mpg.

So don't tell me there weren't ops for Grimes in the starting 5...lol.

still have hope for Grimes though, just crazy that Thibs got so much blame for "not getting Grimes looks". Thibs has basically been proven right on everything he's done. Can't doubt the man anymore.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/30/2024  8:55 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:

Donte is a personal zone buster. Look at every score of his in this video that is vs a set defense. They were all zones. His signing was a masterclass.

DDV was the most underrated move. He barely got a thread. But he has been terrific. We don't need no Lavine.

agreed. I was in on Lavine last year, but OG is a much bigger impact player.

DDV is doing what I envisioned from Lavine. Just quick catch and shoot deep 3's with no hesitation.

DDV might be more valuable than Lavine right now, and he's probably more valuable than IQ too. IQ tended to pound the ball and ISO for his scoring. DDV is just moving the ball, defending, and just shooting 3's at an elite clip from all over the court.

He's been pretty amazing. Still, like IQ, I think he's a guy that maxes out around 25-30mpg, not sure he's a guy that can regularly play 36 min and keep the production up.

one of the best value contracts in the league and allowed us to trade IQ for OG without missing much. Truth be told DDV has been better than IQ this season.

This right here is why I never thought IQ was ever going to be a permanent starter option next to Brunson (along with other stuff), even before this year. And even though he did play well with his time next to Brunson.

The overall offense and defense is just much much better with a different type of player next to Jalen, and we are seeing that in DDV.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
1/30/2024  8:56 AM
nycericanguy wrote:its crazy DDV is playing less than 23mpg on the season. feels like more because he contributes starter type numbers.

but his starting numbers are really damn good

Donte DiVincenzo has averaged 14.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 29 games as a starter this season in just 24.6mpg.

So don't tell me there weren't ops for Grimes in the starting 5...lol.

still have hope for Grimes though, just crazy that Thibs got so much blame for "not getting Grimes looks". Thibs has basically been proven right on everything he's done. Can't doubt the man anymore.

RIGHT

nycericanguy

1/30/2024  8:56 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:

Donte is a personal zone buster. Look at every score of his in this video that is vs a set defense. They were all zones. His signing was a masterclass.

DDV was the most underrated move. He barely got a thread. But he has been terrific. We don't need no Lavine.

DDV is doing what I envisioned from Lavine. Just quick catch and shoot deep 3's with no hesitation.

DDV might be more valuable than Lavine right now, and he's probably more valuable than IQ too. IQ tended to pound the ball and ISO for his scoring. DDV is just moving the ball, defending, and just shooting 3's at an elite clip from all over the court.

He's been pretty amazing. Still, like IQ, I think he's a guy that maxes out around 25-30mpg, not sure he's a guy that can regularly play 36 min and keep the production up.

one of the best value contracts in the league and allowed us to trade IQ for OG without missing much. Truth be told DDV has been better than IQ this season.

This right here is why I never thought IQ was ever going to be a permanent starter option next to Brunson (along with other stuff), even before this year. And even though he did play well with his time next to Brunson.

The overall offense and defense is just much much better with a different type of player next to Jalen, and we are seeing that in DDV.

yea i cant second guess anything anymore, Thibs and this FO know what they are doing.

I dont even think we need a trade anymore. there's a world where we bring Rokas over in the summer, get a lotto pick from DAL, and start developing a few new youngins and really build something sustainable long term.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/30/2024  8:57 AM
Also, Deuce McBride is a player. He needs to remain in the lineup no matter what we do. Another signing that will reek of extreme value soon once his role gets solidified.
DLeethal

1/30/2024  9:00 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:

yea i cant second guess anything anymore, Thibs and this FO know what they are doing.

I dont even think we need a trade anymore. there's a world where we bring Rokas over in the summer, get a lotto pick from DAL, and start developing a few new youngins and really build something sustainable long term.

If we are trying to make a real push this year, we still need that bench scorer. We just don't have enough scoring to truly compete with the best teams in the East. One more guy and let's see where we are at. Grimes hasn't been good enough.

nycericanguy

1/30/2024  9:03 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Panos wrote:
Clean wrote:

If we are trying to make a real push this year, we still need that bench scorer. We just don't have enough scoring to truly compete with the best teams in the East. One more guy and let's see where we are at. Grimes hasn't been good enough.

i agree, but if there's no one that makes sense then we can wait. not seeing the guy that really makes sense if we aren't in on DJM.

DDV might just have to be that 3rd creator for now. He's averaging almost 20 PER 36 and gets his shot off easier than anyone outside of JB/JR

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/30/2024  9:03 AM
I skipped the game and got to bed early instead. The Hornets will be ok with Lamelo and Miller as core. They should trade Lamelo if he won’t age well and miss games and the kid is a total airhead.

Steve Clifford is a good coach but his roster is ****. Amazing how little of Jordans intensity never filtered down to the product on the floor. Seems he was in it for the money. Did not ever really seem to enjoy it either. Can’t say where he had final say on draft picks, trades or Free agents but owners do have it. Not like he was some rich dude that did not udnerstand the game like Dolan did.

He is now a minority owner and stepped away. I’d think given Cliffords past health issues and new owners perhaps its not going to be a mutually long association beyond this season. Too bad, he a good dude.

CHarlotte is a lot like ATL with so many transplants its no suprise when hornets are not doing well many knick fans grab cheap tickets (Hornets are not in demand these days). I could have gotten a courtside single ticket for under $700! I thought about it.
Shit game with low energy and besides our missing guys I would have wanted to see Lamelo and Gordan Haywood play.
Pistons beating thunder, etc, all kinds of things can happen so the game was not automatic.
Utah got blown out by Nets and the glorious return of Ben Simmons!
Next game up for next man up.

DLeethal

1/30/2024  9:13 AM
Nalod wrote:I skipped the game and got to bed early instead. The Hornets will be ok with Lamelo and Miller as core. They should trade Lamelo if he won’t age well and miss games and the kid is a total airhead.

Steve Clifford is a good coach but his roster is ****. Amazing how little of Jordans intensity never filtered down to the product on the floor. Seems he was in it for the money. Did not ever really seem to enjoy it either. Can’t say where he had final say on draft picks, trades or Free agents but owners do have it. Not like he was some rich dude that did not udnerstand the game like Dolan did.

He is now a minority owner and stepped away. I’d think given Cliffords past health issues and new owners perhaps its not going to be a mutually long association beyond this season. Too bad, he a good dude.

CHarlotte is a lot like ATL with so many transplants its no suprise when hornets are not doing well many knick fans grab cheap tickets (Hornets are not in demand these days). I could have gotten a courtside single ticket for under $700! I thought about it.
Shit game with low energy and besides our missing guys I would have wanted to see Lamelo and Gordan Haywood play.
Pistons beating thunder, etc, all kinds of things can happen so the game was not automatic.

Yea, CHA is in a tough spot. I would probably trade LaMelo and Bridges and just build around Brandon Miller from scratch. I suppose LaMelo and Miller is a nice young duo but something just doesn't click with LaMelo it seems. I think in order to restore some legitimacy they need to get rid of Bridges for obvious reasons.

It was a perfect storm for the crowd yesterday. NC has blown up with NY transplants. Knicks are the hottest team in the league and fans are extremely motivated right now. Hornets are a laughingstock. Perfect recipe for a Knick fan takeover.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/30/2024  9:26 AM
I'm seeing double

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/30/2024  9:33 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
TheMTL wrote:Thibs just NEVER learns. It's the freaking Hornets, if we can't W with a 20pt lead with 6 min left without Brunson then we have bigger issues

Seems like a pretty good coach to me.
there's always gonna be one. 34 minutes seems reasonable. Knicks are in a very tight race in the standings
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
blkexec
Member: #748
1/30/2024  9:55 AM
We all love OG but is it the addition of OG or subtraction of RJ and IQ?

Small sample size but I’m thinking removing those two players is part of the big turn around for this team. It gives players like DDV more mins and shot attempts for example.

Again credit to Leon for this move. The culture is building. Next man up approach is working. JB is the key and we need a backup JB type of guard (Brogdon). We only have 1 floor general and 1 old school bully ball player. I believe we have backups for Jules but no floor general behind JB.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
DLeethal

1/30/2024  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2024  10:22 AM
blkexec wrote:We all love OG but is it the addition of OG or subtraction of RJ and IQ?

Small sample size but I’m thinking removing those two players is part of the big turn around for this team. It gives players like DDV more mins and shot attempts for example.

Again credit to Leon for this move. The culture is building. Next man up approach is working. JB is the key and we need a backup JB type of guard (Brogdon). We only have 1 floor general and 1 old school bully ball player. I believe we have backups for Jules but no floor general behind JB.

Both squads found ways to be effective but the style of play we have now is a much stronger foundation for us going forward. Ball movement, player movement, assist rates, pace, defense all improved drastically by replacing our 3rd and 4th usage guys who were isolation pounders, with high IQ connectors and shooters and more defense first guys.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

1/30/2024  10:59 AM
Assuming OG can go tonight does Thibs go…..

I-Hart, OG, J-Hart

Or

I-Hart, Precious, OG

I like the size, defense with Precious - especially against a bigger Utah starting line-up.

I say he goes with Precious and Josh is in early doing his Swiss army stuff off bench.

martin
USA
1/30/2024  11:06 AM
Nalod wrote:I skipped the game and got to bed early instead. The Hornets will be ok with Lamelo and Miller as core. They should trade Lamelo if he won’t age well and miss games and the kid is a total airhead.

Amen to that. High basketball intellect, talent, and instincts with world class athleticism that is couched in a personality of psycho killer.

But I don't think he understood that he wasn't in the same stratosphere for another entirely different skill set in his related profession.

Classic blunder!

The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line or become a player-owner unless you surround yourself with smarter people than you are and rely heavily on them!"

martin
USA
1/30/2024  11:07 AM
blkexec wrote:We all love OG but is it the addition of OG or subtraction of RJ and IQ?

You are about to start a Knicks holy war. Again, again.

nycericanguy

1/30/2024  11:09 AM

I get what you're saying, I look at this team now and look at RJ's shooting %'s and on/off numbers over the years, and I think, maybe the analytics were right that we would be a much better team with literally anyone but RJ at SF?

DLeethal

1/30/2024  11:20 AM
nycericanguy wrote:

I get what you're saying, I look at this team now and look at RJ's shooting %'s and on/off numbers over the years, and I think, maybe the analytics were right that we would be a much better team with literally anyone but RJ at SF?

On paper, if someone asked you to pick the perfect 3rd guy to pair with Brunson and Randle at the 3 spot, RJ Barrett would be very far down that list. It's amazing how we performed so well for so long with a top pecking order that clearly had big fit issues. Most teams don't overcome that.

martin
USA
1/30/2024  11:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/30/2024  11:23 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

On paper, if someone asked you to pick the perfect 3rd guy to pair with Brunson and Randle at the 3 spot, RJ Barrett would be very far down that list. It's amazing how we performed so well for so long with a top pecking order that clearly had big fit issues. Most teams don't overcome that.

You right.

Milwaukee just thought that and made a move for Dame. Maybe it was actually Giannis who thought that but a lot of other smart people couldn't convince him otherwise.

It's a hard maneuver to pull off.

nycericanguy

1/30/2024  11:24 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

i was a big RJ fan and the starting 5 did do well with him, but the analytics were not kind to him individually and I kind of gave him a benefit of the doubt.

but we are much more fluid without him for sure.

I kind of doubt this huge turnaround is ALL OG as well... Don't get me wrong I do think OG has had a big impact but one single player cannot transform an entire team. I think it's a combination of FIT, easier schedule and maybe even addition by subtraction.

Game Thread: Knicks vs Hornets and the first “Shoulderless” game….

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy