Member: #105
1/28/2024  11:04 AM
AUTOADVERT
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

1/28/2024  11:36 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Man what a bummer. Just as Randle was clearing playing in a way that truly quelled any notion we were better without him. He has been a big difference maker and has been clutch this year. That said, I think we can retool in a way to be maybe as competitive this year. Teams do it all the time (see CLE this year). I draw comparisons to our team not in style of play but to personnel to the D'Antoni Suns teams. Nash (Brunson, Amare (Randle), Marion (OG) etc. I think we slide OG to the 4 and add a player like Hart and our versatility and switchability will be pretty nuts. They did that one of the years Amare went down and actually got better.

Good thing we have more picks than we can use or spend. I think we can sacrifice a first to get a fill-in if Randle is to miss the majority of the season. Someone like Derozan would make a lot of sense now. Cheaper options are out there as well like Hayward or Gallo. Bogdanovich makes sense as well.

Even if Randle were to miss the rest of the year, we likely were a second round exit team either way, we can still be a dangerous team and a dangerous out but we need a legitimate 20ppg scorer to take some pressure off Brunson or he's gonna get too worn down.

For starters, the way Randle has been playing I don’t really want to think about replacing him. I’m hoping for the best from Randle. Hoping there are no torn labrum or pectoral.

I don’t think a completely reactionary move to replace Randle is the way to go here. I think there were needs at PF for a backup that we probably should have addressed already. But it’s more necessary now.

I don’t think Derozan was the answer before and I don’t think he is now.

In the starting lineup, we need to replace passing and rebounding more than we need to replace points. First move is just to use Hart at SF. That replaces both rebounding and passing.
Now, due diligence and call about Markannen. Call about Herb Jones. Jonathan Isaac. Do diligence. If they get any bites on these guys pull the trigger.

I’d be looking to Utah to get Kelly Olynyk. I don’t really want Clarkson. But they have a few spare parts we could fill in the trade with. But Kelly will add rebounding and passing in that second unit. If I could add Saddiq Bey from Atlanta into the trade exception for for Malachi Flynn (single player trade), I think they would be in a solid position for when Randle comes back.

Brunson
DDV
Hart
OG
Hart

McBride
Grimes
Bey
Olynyk
Achiuwa

Not sure this works perfectly, but I think it can cover a short gap.

That's fine. I'd rather Randle is out for 10 games and we don't have to do much at all. But if he's out until playoffs I absolutely think we need to pull the trigger on a 20ppg scorer and retool the lineup to remain dangerous. OG can play the 4 - he already does backup Randle there. We can get a 3 man to replace him if we need to.

DLeethal

1/28/2024  11:38 AM
I'm not interested in some scrub backup if Randle is out for 20 games. Use a pick and get one of the many capable #2 scorers that are available and we can worry about fit later when Randle gets worked back into the fold. If someone becomes a supersub for the playoffs that's fine. Re-balance the roster in the offseason.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/28/2024  11:49 AM
Clean wrote:I was probably the leader of the anti Randle brigade with the old roster I am now pro Randle after the OG trade. He been playing playing just like I wanted from the start. I don't see how anyone can complain about how he has played since the trade. Even the effort issues have been way less. It is going to be tough and Brunson's usage rate is going to have to go up even more but we might be able to hold off until Randle heals if it is not a season ending injury.

One thing I don't want to do is to use the assets we have for that final trade and use them just to salvage this season. If this is a season ending injury we ride with what we have and start to evaluate the players on this roster. We need to know exactly our players can do so we are well informed when we go for the big trade in the summer.

It’s the classic story of Spinover Randle versus Joyful JuJu

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/28/2024  11:51 AM
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:I was probably the leader of the anti Randle brigade with the old roster I am now pro Randle after the OG trade. He been playing playing just like I wanted from the start. I don't see how anyone can complain about how he has played since the trade. Even the effort issues have been way less. It is going to be tough and Brunson's usage rate is going to have to go up even more but we might be able to hold off until Randle heals if it is not a season ending injury.

One thing I don't want to do is to use the assets we have for that final trade and use them just to salvage this season. If this is a season ending injury we ride with what we have and start to evaluate the players on this roster. We need to know exactly our players can do so we are well informed when we go for the big trade in the summer.

It’s the classic story of Spinover Randle versus Joyful JuJu

Ahhh. A tale as old as... 2019.

MS
Member: #724
1/28/2024  12:37 PM
Bojan or Derozan is what they need right now.

Going to need a third scorer in the playoffs when the game slows down. Chemistry is important and OG can certainly pick up the slack, but Jalen needs some help and if you can’t double him you’re dead. Demar can run the offense when Brunson is out, Hart was boxed out of transition buckets in the second round.

One more scorer and shooter and Randle has unlimited space. If you play OG at the 5 some and have three shooters and Randle teams won’t be able to handle us on either end of the floor.

I think Julius pulls through and is back sooner than we think. Just need Brunson fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/28/2024  12:50 PM
Gotta be careful here. If he is out 4-6 weeks, pouring your resources into someone with a long term contract who doesnt mesh well when he does come back could set us back rather than move us forward. Grant and Kuzma are examples of guys that theoretically replicate his scoring, but will cost resources, hamstring our cap situation and not fit when he is back.

Also those guys dont play any D

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/28/2024  12:54 PM
VDesai wrote:Gotta be careful here. If he is out 4-6 weeks, pouring your resources into someone with a long term contract who doesnt mesh well when he does come back could set us back rather than move us forward. Grant and Kuzma are examples of guys that theoretically replicate his scoring, but will cost resources, hamstring our cap situation and not fit when he is back.

This is where I am. I am happy to make a move we should have made anyway. Like a Herb Jones. I don’t think Derozan or Bogs do anything much more for us.

This is the Randle.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/28/2024  12:57 PM
VDesai wrote:Gotta be careful here. If he is out 4-6 weeks, pouring your resources into someone with a long term contract who doesnt mesh well when he does come back could set us back rather than move us forward. Grant and Kuzma are examples of guys that theoretically replicate his scoring, but will cost resources, hamstring our cap situation and not fit when he is back.

Good points, plus its not plug and play scoring. Randles passing was also key to this resurgence of ball movement. THe kicks outs if doubled or bully in if not. Grant and Kuzma both bring different takes. There would be a cost to get either, and when Randle is done, what become of them?

VDesai
USA
1/28/2024  1:05 PM
I know he is ancient and been injured a lot, but i honestly think Gallo is a great fit because he is a good passer and outside shooter and plays with some physicality. He can give us 20 min a game if Randle is out short term and he is a depth/insurance piece for after. The cost shouldnt be much- its possible he can slot into our trade exception? Someone who knows the cap better than me can verify.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/28/2024  1:07 PM
Some vets will get the waiver wire so no need to panic trades. Nobody can replace what Randle does anyway. Best case OGA steps up and scores 20, Hart in the high teens and 10 rebounds and maybe we get Hayward after the deadline.
VDesai
USA
1/28/2024  1:14 PM
I think OG can handle the 4 with Hart playing next to him. For bigger teams we would need to play Achiuwa at the 4 and have Sims enter the rotation. Achiuwa was just finding his footing playing at the 5, but some shifting is necessary.

Whats killer is we are down Mitch and Randle - that's two of the best rebounders in the league, not just our team.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/28/2024  1:23 PM
VDesai wrote:I think OG can handle the 4 with Hart playing next to him. For bigger teams we would need to play Achiuwa at the 4 and have Sims enter the rotation. Achiuwa was just finding his footing playing at the 5, but some shifting is necessary.

Whats killer is we are down Mitch and Randle - that's two of the best rebounders in the league, not just our team.

And unfortunately, OG, for all of his defensive luxuries, is not the best of rebounders. Or at least the numbers don’t stand out.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/28/2024  1:26 PM
Be great if G. Haywood bought out. OG slides to PF. Haywood is 6-8. Still has size. Kid has filled out over the years. Randle comes back he can still be useful for a playoff run.
Grimes and DDV fill in at the three to help if Hart not shooting well that night.
Gallo on the cheap could work off the bench.
Utah is playing really well now. THey not selling are they?
Beyond that? Who knows.
VDesai
USA
1/28/2024  1:33 PM
I just remembered Bismack Biyombo was bought out and a free agent. He is a pretty decent rebounder and shotblocker and probably more able than Taj. Kinda similar player to Achiuwa in some ways
DLeethal

1/28/2024  2:14 PM

I half agree. You can't be reckless obviously and I wouldn't use more than one first on a Randle replacement. But I would also not be too cautious because of "fit" when Randle returns, in a scenario where he is basically out until the playoffs. In that scenario, get the best player to fit with Brunson and co., and someone comes off the bench for the playoffs. That just is what it is. Then next offseason you rebalance the lineup.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/28/2024  2:23 PM
Evan Fournier, cash and 2nds to DAL
Alec Burks and Grant Williams to NYK
Seth Curry to DET

With a little prayer and luck, we'll have Julius back early enough before the playoffs to ramp up his condition. Until then, get well and be easy Julius!

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/28/2024  2:25 PM

As is watching anti Randle crowd pretend like they are sorry that he is hurt.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/28/2024  2:29 PM
DLeethal wrote:

I half agree. You can't be reckless obviously and I wouldn't use more than one first on a Randle replacement. But I would also not be too cautious because of "fit" when Randle returns, in a scenario where he is basically out until the playoffs. In that scenario, get the best player to fit with Brunson and co., and someone comes off the bench for the playoffs. That just is what it is. Then next offseason you rebalance the lineup.

Getting DeRozan may be the best bargain as he is an unrestricted free agent. Then he is auditioned and if we keep him beyond the season the we do a three year deal with third year a team option. DeRozan is what we wanted RJ to be and he can play 2,3,4 and can be the first option in crunch time. If Randal returns healthy great if not we can still be dangerous. Ideally for playoffs Brunson, DDV,OG, Julius, Heart with Deuce, Grimes, DeRozan, Precious, Hart, Mitch ready off the bench. Evan for DeRozan and 2 frps.

blkexec
Member: #748
1/28/2024  2:31 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

As is watching anti Randle crowd pretend like they are sorry that he is hurt.

Either call out the poster or leave it alone. You either talking to 2 people or nobody. 🤣

What’s the point? It’s not going to bring Randle back any sooner.

Personally I wish we could trade some fans before trading Randle.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Randle: Dislocated Shoulder

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy