martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2024  7:53 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Yes, Grimes shines in garbage time. But those were nice takes to the rim. High difficulty shots. I get the feeling we would have seen this part of his game sooner, if Grimes had stayed on the bench for another season or two.

Might end up being a late bloomer on another team. Dont believe his game has flatlined like Frank.

he's perplexing b/c he plays with such confidence and aggression in garbage time and even finishes at the rim. Makes you want to believe but then I remember Obi used to average 30 in April games.

Just keep in mind how his high school to college career went. I see a ton of kids like this, they are slow adjusters. But when they settle in, they shine as they should IF the talent is there and things work.

Grimes could fail but I still see it for him when he gets over his mental hump

end of day I'm not trading or benching Grimes for anyone that isn't a long term piece. I mean he's averaging 9.2ppg since the day in just 18mpg. granted inflated by blowouts but it took 2.5 years for it to CLICK for IQ and for the game to slow down so I'm not out on Grimes just yet.

100% same.

I am officially off the Dejounte trade train in lieu of keeping Grimes and going another route to upgrade.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/26/2024  7:57 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Yes, Grimes shines in garbage time. But those were nice takes to the rim. High difficulty shots. I get the feeling we would have seen this part of his game sooner, if Grimes had stayed on the bench for another season or two.

Might end up being a late bloomer on another team. Dont believe his game has flatlined like Frank.

he's perplexing b/c he plays with such confidence and aggression in garbage time and even finishes at the rim. Makes you want to believe but then I remember Obi used to average 30 in April games.

Just keep in mind how his high school to college career went. I see a ton of kids like this, they are slow adjusters. But when they settle in, they shine as they should IF the talent is there and things work.

end of day I'm not trading or benching Grimes for anyone that isn't a long term piece. I mean he's averaging 9.2ppg since the day in just 18mpg. granted inflated by blowouts but it took 2.5 years for it to CLICK for IQ and for the game to slow down so I'm not out on Grimes just yet.

100% same.

I am officially off the Dejounte trade train in lieu of keeping Grimes and going another route to upgrade.

DJM is the only guy i can think of that its worth it for.

Brogdon if he was 4 years younger and not injury prone but not now.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/26/2024  8:11 AM
I
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

it would be nice to keep Grimes and McBrunson. And then see what the best possible player we can get for Fournier & Draft picks.

Chandler
Member: #6197

1/26/2024  8:13 AM
Deuce has that football player mentality which IMO is the difference. I think they take to coaching better and better appreciate the value of putting the work in not getting too high or too low

Grimes is still wildcard in my book. He has the potential to be a 20-30 mill/year guy but often looks like the guy who will forever tantalize but really is a second unit guy who will stay in the league for his D (and lower money).

(5)(5)
nycericanguy

1/26/2024  8:14 AM
franco12 wrote:I
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

it would be nice to keep Grimes and McBrunson. And then see what the best possible player we can get for Fournier & Draft picks.

there's no point in keeping them if they won't play though.

Clean
Member: #743
1/26/2024  8:58 AM
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2024  8:59 AM
Didn't realize 90s Knicks was back

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Clean
Member: #743
1/26/2024  9:25 AM
watching the game agains and noticed a play on defene where OG got caught on a hard pick and had to switch off Murray. The person who switched onto Murray was our 2nd best POA defender Grimes. I am still not ready to give up on Grimes. His offense is still a work in progress but his defense is still good.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/26/2024  9:57 AM
Checked my phone as soon as I woke up this morning to make sure I didn't dream this game! I honestly penciled it as a loss. I didn't think there was any way we could have won this against Jokic without Big Hart but Thibs had this team focused from the jump. This was his best coached game this season imo. Huge challenge on OGA's foul. It might have been a different game if we had to sit OGA early with 2 fouls.

I think I can officially admit I was dead wrong about OGA. He's our Brunson on defense and at the level of Pippen, Artest, Kawhi. I'll always love RJ and IQ but this was a good trade. He changes the game.

The bench was GREAT too! Deuce and Grimes with 32 on 6/10 from three. Achiuwa and Sims held it down too.

Not surprised Brunson wasn't voted in as a starter. He's constantly trashed on ESPN and the casual fans buy into their garbage. But we the fans and those who watch him game in and game out know how special he is. He'll be voted in as a reserve so no big deal. Keep doubting and motivating him though!

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/26/2024  10:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2024  10:04 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

Who else do you upgrade though? I honestly want to keep Deuce in the rotation over Grimes. I'm fine using Grimes to upgrade and keeping Deuce around. He's showing more prowess in that 3&D instant impact role.

The team still needs that 3rd scorer, preferably off the bench in a Jason Terry kind of role or Barbosa for the old Suns. The starting unit looks great and the bench has all the pieces besides a reliable microwave scorer. There isn't enough minutes to simply add without subtracting IMO. Not sure what it would look like if you just added a guy like Hayward or another forward scorer and kept everyone else intact. Probably not enough minutes at full health.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/26/2024  10:07 AM
I'm worried Murray will come here and somehow ruin this.
nycericanguy

1/26/2024  10:29 AM
SergioNYK wrote:I'm worried Murray will come here and somehow ruin this.

we have a strong coach and a strong culture that I dont think any one player can ruin.

I would bet DJM elevates his game if anything, winning is more fun than fun is fun, especially at MSG

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/26/2024  10:32 AM
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

1/26/2024  10:35 AM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

Who else do you upgrade though? I honestly want to keep Deuce in the rotation over Grimes. I'm fine using Grimes to upgrade and keeping Deuce around. He's showing more prowess in that 3&D instant impact role.

The team still needs that 3rd scorer, preferably off the bench in a Jason Terry kind of role or Barbosa for the old Suns. The starting unit looks great and the bench has all the pieces besides a reliable microwave scorer. There isn't enough minutes to simply add without subtracting IMO. Not sure what it would look like if you just added a guy like Hayward or another forward scorer and kept everyone else intact. Probably not enough minutes at full health.

I'm as concerned (if not more) about the starting 5 ball handling under pressure as the benches lack of scoring. I think one player could fill both these holes. The bench is lock down on D and has been playing better recently. There were a couple gross games when they staggered Randle and that didn't work at all. Since then they have been getting progressively better. They've won Deuce the minutes over the last 10. If they had both centers and put Hart or Mitch with them I think that's a good bench unit. I even think Sims would help. I don't know if Thibs will make the switch after Hart comes back though. He seemed pretty out Sims after that 3 game post Mitch stint.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/26/2024  11:13 AM
Precious been making progress making Sims starting a non factor.
but......things change so who knows what Thibs is doing. Seems not rushing iHart back might be in the cards.
You don't stop Jokic, you just slow him down and shut down the others.
I love the blow out but Nuggs really mailed it in last night. If they were not notch and we won a close one perhaps it would be more telling.
Don't get me wrong im not down playing it. At the same time its not a statement game to get overly excited about.
Miami is a mess right now. Its miami so I expect them to wake the **** up and play a tough game. This fan is not circling a win just yet.
I don't know their issues if its injuries or they just out of sorts.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/26/2024  11:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2024  11:47 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

I think the addition of Brunson to the starting lineup affected Grimes development. You had three ball dominant players doing the bulk of the scoring. Grimes was relegated to being mostly a catch and shoot player. Hadnt yet develop the skills to do what DDV has been showing. Filling in the gaps in the offense. Doing whats needed to win the game. 3pt shooting, layups, passing. We needed someone with more experience.

If Grimes is still here after the deadline, Im ok with that. As pointed out upthread, he's chipping in now. Not just garbage time. Also OK if he's moved in the offseason. Might be best for both sides.

Just glad he's showing more confidence. Maybe Grimes will start showing those moves when it matters.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/26/2024  11:35 AM
SergioNYK wrote:Checked my phone as soon as I woke up this morning to make sure I didn't dream this game! I honestly penciled it as a loss. I didn't think there was any way we could have won this against Jokic without Big Hart but Thibs had this team focused from the jump. This was his best coached game this season imo. Huge challenge on OGA's foul. It might have been a different game if we had to sit OGA early with 2 fouls.

I think I can officially admit I was dead wrong about OGA. He's our Brunson on defense and at the level of Pippen, Artest, Kawhi. I'll always love RJ and IQ but this was a good trade. He changes the game.

The bench was GREAT too! Deuce and Grimes with 32 on 6/10 from three. Achiuwa and Sims held it down too.

Not surprised Brunson wasn't voted in as a starter. He's constantly trashed on ESPN and the casual fans buy into their garbage. But we the fans and those who watch him game in and game out know how special he is. He'll be voted in as a reserve so no big deal. Keep doubting and motivating him though!

I mostly thought he was overrated because Jules cooked him pretty good. He's not. He's a STAR. I liked the trade because RJ was not a good fit here and IQ was the cost for upgrading. OG is transforming this team. He's so important to everything that is happening out there. He's 100% a 3rd star if folks want to look at it that way. He'll get his recognition when we win the title this year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

1/26/2024  11:55 AM
Nalod wrote:So when Knicks are down, Nalod don’t bash. LOok for brightness.
When knicks lose to a bad team, and its gonna happen, remember its the NBA and anyteam can beat another. It happens.
We a very good team and beat the champs. WE got them on a down night. It was fun.
This team has a good vibe. We keep losing centers and get better? LOL!!!
The ball movement and team is playing loose and having fun.
Mikal bridges? WE don’t need all the Villinova guys. We got the disregarded ones that are playing up!!!!

Randles kid on the bench. Priceless.
Im loving his new chill attitude and not crying. He is still evolving.
I’d be hating trading RJ but kicks winning and OG doing great things makes it all easy.

Miami in a funk. Funk them.

Im enjoying this season. Where it goes? Its a journey. The future will take care of itself.

Couldn't have said it better. It's a feel good season with unlimited potential. We slaughtered Philly AND Denver this season. We have a top 3 defensive team. If Randle can keep his composure in the playoffs...we could make it to ECF. We could even make it to Finals. Let's enjoy the ride.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/26/2024  12:10 PM
EwingPSD wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

100% same.

I'm as concerned (if not more) about the starting 5 ball handling under pressure as the benches lack of scoring. I think one player could fill both these holes. The bench is lock down on D and has been playing better recently. There were a couple gross games when they staggered Randle and that didn't work at all. Since then they have been getting progressively better. They've won Deuce the minutes over the last 10. If they had both centers and put Hart or Mitch with them I think that's a good bench unit. I even think Sims would help. I don't know if Thibs will make the switch after Hart comes back though. He seemed pretty out Sims after that 3 game post Mitch stint.

Might be right on the ball handling part, time will tell I suppose. I think having more connectors will help us there though, they seem to be much more able to break pressure/traps this year than in years past by simply having some more high IQ guys out there at all times who know how to find gaps off-ball and swing it around.

The bench has been playing better but it still seems like a weak link to me. Need a shot maker because Deuce is not always going to be able to find a way to hit a handful of open 3s.

I actually probably like Precious more than anyone else on this forum. He's starting to find a little groove himself as a connector and cutter and I like how we don't do drop coverage as much with him and let him switch.

nycericanguy

1/26/2024  12:15 PM
yea Precious has played well, he's more mobile and can even step out a bit and he's more switchable than our other bigs.
[Game Thread 1/25/24 @7:30PM] Knicks vs Nuggets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy