Member: #2
USA
1/26/2024  12:16 PM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Yes, Grimes shines in garbage time. But those were nice takes to the rim. High difficulty shots. I get the feeling we would have seen this part of his game sooner, if Grimes had stayed on the bench for another season or two.

Might end up being a late bloomer on another team. Dont believe his game has flatlined like Frank.

he's perplexing b/c he plays with such confidence and aggression in garbage time and even finishes at the rim. Makes you want to believe but then I remember Obi used to average 30 in April games.

Just keep in mind how his high school to college career went. I see a ton of kids like this, they are slow adjusters. But when they settle in, they shine as they should IF the talent is there and things work.

Grimes could fail but I still see it for him when he gets over his mental hump

end of day I'm not trading or benching Grimes for anyone that isn't a long term piece. I mean he's averaging 9.2ppg since the day in just 18mpg. granted inflated by blowouts but it took 2.5 years for it to CLICK for IQ and for the game to slow down so I'm not out on Grimes just yet.

100% same.

I am officially off the Dejounte trade train in lieu of keeping Grimes and going another route to upgrade.

Who else do you upgrade though? I honestly want to keep Deuce in the rotation over Grimes. I'm fine using Grimes to upgrade and keeping Deuce around. He's showing more prowess in that 3&D instant impact role.

The team still needs that 3rd scorer, preferably off the bench in a Jason Terry kind of role or Barbosa for the old Suns. The starting unit looks great and the bench has all the pieces besides a reliable microwave scorer. There isn't enough minutes to simply add without subtracting IMO. Not sure what it would look like if you just added a guy like Hayward or another forward scorer and kept everyone else intact. Probably not enough minutes at full health.

Caruso would be my short term move in other thread for this year, Mikal/Donovan Mitchell would be targets over next 2 years with a side of Embiid if he gets frustrated and is healthy enough.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/26/2024  12:22 PM
nycericanguy wrote:yea Precious has played well, he's more mobile and can even step out a bit and he's more switchable than our other bigs.

I totally agree. He fills a need our other bigs can't.

Clean
1/26/2024  12:45 PM
Something I am really happy about is that we don't instantly crumble when teams zone us now. The nugz hit us with a zone in the 3rd and we still put it on them.
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

1/26/2024  12:46 PM
DLeethal wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Yes, Grimes shines in garbage time. But those were nice takes to the rim. High difficulty shots. I get the feeling we would have seen this part of his game sooner, if Grimes had stayed on the bench for another season or two.

Might end up being a late bloomer on another team. Dont believe his game has flatlined like Frank.

he's perplexing b/c he plays with such confidence and aggression in garbage time and even finishes at the rim. Makes you want to believe but then I remember Obi used to average 30 in April games.

Just keep in mind how his high school to college career went. I see a ton of kids like this, they are slow adjusters. But when they settle in, they shine as they should IF the talent is there and things work.

Grimes could fail but I still see it for him when he gets over his mental hump

end of day I'm not trading or benching Grimes for anyone that isn't a long term piece. I mean he's averaging 9.2ppg since the day in just 18mpg. granted inflated by blowouts but it took 2.5 years for it to CLICK for IQ and for the game to slow down so I'm not out on Grimes just yet.

100% same.

I am officially off the Dejounte trade train in lieu of keeping Grimes and going another route to upgrade.

Who else do you upgrade though? I honestly want to keep Deuce in the rotation over Grimes. I'm fine using Grimes to upgrade and keeping Deuce around. He's showing more prowess in that 3&D instant impact role.

The team still needs that 3rd scorer, preferably off the bench in a Jason Terry kind of role or Barbosa for the old Suns. The starting unit looks great and the bench has all the pieces besides a reliable microwave scorer. There isn't enough minutes to simply add without subtracting IMO. Not sure what it would look like if you just added a guy like Hayward or another forward scorer and kept everyone else intact. Probably not enough minutes at full health.

I'm as concerned (if not more) about the starting 5 ball handling under pressure as the benches lack of scoring. I think one player could fill both these holes. The bench is lock down on D and has been playing better recently. There were a couple gross games when they staggered Randle and that didn't work at all. Since then they have been getting progressively better. They've won Deuce the minutes over the last 10. If they had both centers and put Hart or Mitch with them I think that's a good bench unit. I even think Sims would help. I don't know if Thibs will make the switch after Hart comes back though. He seemed pretty out Sims after that 3 game post Mitch stint.

Might be right on the ball handling part, time will tell I suppose. I think having more connectors will help us there though, they seem to be much more able to break pressure/traps this year than in years past by simply having some more high IQ guys out there at all times who know how to find gaps off-ball and swing it around.

The bench has been playing better but it still seems like a weak link to me. Need a shot maker because Deuce is not always going to be able to find a way to hit a handful of open 3s.

I actually probably like Precious more than anyone else on this forum. He's starting to find a little groove himself as a connector and cutter and I like how we don't do drop coverage as much with him and let him switch.

I think Jericho is a much better switching defender then him. Precious plays 5 feet off the 3 point line when he switches. Jericho can actually get in someone's shirt and stay in front.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/26/2024  1:26 PM
Its wild. Jericho measured 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan. Those are also OG's measurements. Precious measured 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan. IHart is 7 feet tall with a 7'2 wingspan. Jules is 6'8 with a 7'0 wingspan and an absolute wrecking ball. That doesnt include Mitch.

We have this army now of strong and long and tough frontcourt guys who are absolute grinders and play the Thibs way. Mix them up with Brunson/McBride/DD/Josh/Grimes and we have a real identity here and I phucking love it. This feels like a modern version of the 90s Knicks. Just because you are built on defense and rebounding doesnt mean you cant play like a modern team

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
USA
1/26/2024  1:33 PM
Clean wrote:Something I am really happy about is that we don't instantly crumble when teams zone us now. The nugz hit us with a zone in the 3rd and we still put it on them.

YES! Noticed this as well.

Thibs finally taught his guys something about beating a zone. Finally. He was on the hot seat because of that.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/26/2024  1:42 PM
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:Something I am really happy about is that we don't instantly crumble when teams zone us now. The nugz hit us with a zone in the 3rd and we still put it on them.

Thibs finally taught his guys something about beating a zone. Finally. He was on the hot seat because of that.

did you notice he also kept OG to under 40 minutes last night? Literal job saver
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/26/2024  1:58 PM

Actually a good observation. I feel since the trade we are much better at handling a lot of these scenarios that stifled us way more than they should. Full court pressure, aggressive traps, basic NBA zone defense. I think we just have a smarter team overall, and a lot of guys who know how to fill gaps and do the basic team elements well. We had way too many pounders, we really just have two now and the rest of the guys are flow guys.

martin
USA
1/26/2024  1:59 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

did you notice he also kept OG to under 40 minutes last night? Literal job saver

I am still trying to figure out how Thibs taught ball movement, cutting and weakside 3point defense in the time OG was traded to the Knicks and the first game OG played with the Knicks. It was like New Years Day.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/26/2024  2:20 PM
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how Thibs taught ball movement, cutting and weakside 3point defense in the time OG was traded to the Knicks and the first game OG played with the Knicks. It was like New Years Day.

DD also great at ball movement, cutting and weakside 3point defense. DD and OG really solidifies our starting 5

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/26/2024  2:34 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

DD also great at ball movement, cutting and weakside 3point defense. DD and OG really solidifies our starting 5

Everyone knows their role. Last night was a great example. Have to put an asterisk on that W, because we know that Denver usually comes at teams a lot harder. But the Knicks still put on a display of high bball IQ, they didnt cobble together a win like they did vs. the Nets.

Agree that OG and DDV are a great compliment to JB and Randle's game. We talk about adding pieces to the puzzle, and those two are a great fit. We add one, maybe two more, and look out. Contenders

Clean
1/26/2024  2:55 PM

This was my thought too. I would hate for Grimes to go but Brogdon being on ball means no longer having to worry about McBride breaking down the D. McBride also gets to show off his improved shooting more.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/26/2024  3:37 PM
Clean wrote:

This was my thought too. I would hate for Grimes to go but Brogdon being on ball means no longer having to worry about McBride breaking down the D. McBride also gets to show off his improved shooting more.

Yea I said this in a previous thread, that we can sort of recreate what we had in 2020 with a rookie IQ and a vet Rose by pairing Deuce with a vet scoring PG off the bench.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/26/2024  4:12 PM
ESPN NBA Today - “we are going to be saying very positive things about the Knicks tomorrow after their complete beat down of the champs last night.”

Zach Lowe - “time to start cashing in those sick days”

Ramona Shelburne - “uh, I’m going to be very late for work. I hear traffic is going to be very very bad tomorrow”

lol at all the asshats at ESPN. Stephen A is still the absolute worst Knicks fan ever

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/26/2024  4:17 PM
Clean wrote:

If we end up trading Grimes and Fournier for Brogdon, I'd like to get either Thybulle or Robert Williams (out for rest of this season) as well. Now don't call me IT for maxing out cap, but both those contracts are serviceable contracts for above average defenders. Taking either back would push us close to the hard cap. But would basically give us the maximum trade pieces going into Summer 2025. Obviously, the healthy Thybulle would be preferable to stash of Williams, but Williams would give you really good insurance on iHart taking a contract over 14mm elsewhere or is a very tradeable contract. Thybulle would give us on ball defense when OG is off the floor.

This is the Randle.
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/26/2024  4:18 PM
Rookie wrote:ESPN NBA Today - “we are going to be saying very positive things about the Knicks tomorrow after their complete beat down of the champs last night.”

Ramona Shelburne - “uh, I’m going to be very late for work. I hear traffic is going to be very very bad tomorrow”

lol at all the asshats at ESPN. Stephen A is still the absolute worst Knicks fan ever

Fixed. Not sure he is actually a Knick fan. He just plays one on TV. Kind of.

This is the Randle.
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/26/2024  5:59 PM
Tomorrow. 3PM.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/26/2024  7:05 PM
ToddTT wrote:Tomorrow. 3PM.

I wonder if she can use a hand

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/26/2024  8:40 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Rookie wrote:ESPN NBA Today - “we are going to be saying very positive things about the Knicks tomorrow after their complete beat down of the champs last night.”

Was reading a yahoo sports article by a guy named Ben Rohrbach - "Should We Be Excited about Knicks Basketball?" To me it was typical of how the, um, "asshats" are repositioning themselves and their LOL Knicks schtick now that their good play can't be ignored. Basically saying the Knicks have been horrible for a long time (was true) and implying it's pathetic to get excited about being Eastern Conference 4th seed. There is a grudging notice of Leon Rose's change of approach, but not that this brick by brick philosophy has been going on for four years now. As far as this guy and the other gasbags are concerned all Knicks trashing was justified until now.

It doesn't matter I know. I just don't care for these phonies.

martin
USA
1/26/2024  9:15 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Was reading a yahoo sports article by a guy named Ben Rohrbach - "Should We Be Excited about Knicks Basketball?" To me it was typical of how the, um, "asshats" are repositioning themselves and their LOL Knicks schtick now that their good play can't be ignored. Basically saying the Knicks have been horrible for a long time (was true) and implying it's pathetic to get excited about being Eastern Conference 4th seed. There is a grudging notice of Leon Rose's change of approach, but not that this brick by brick philosophy has been going on for four years now. As far as this guy and the other gasbags are concerned all Knicks trashing was justified until now.

It doesn't matter I know. I just don't care for these phonies.

Watch this to set you right

[Game Thread 1/25/24 @7:30PM] Knicks vs Nuggets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy