[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trade deadline predictions (deadline: Thursday, Feb 8 at 3 pm ET)
Author Thread
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

1/31/2024  9:52 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Grimes has been a part of this defensive resurgence, no denying that. But we still need a ball handler / scorer with the reserves and Brunson insurance.

These last 2 games Hart has acted as the ball handler, has done a pretty solid job producing 17ast.

Agreed, but he's best suited as a secondary playmaker with any given unit, not the primary, IMO.

AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/31/2024  10:04 AM
These last few games have prepped me for the mentality that the sky is NOT falling if we don't make a trade.

That said teams will press the Knicks in the playoffs. The regular season is a marathon and the playoffs are long, but once its about elimination teams will go all out and use the press and trap and the Knicks are susceptible. Miami played a turnover margin game with us - they don't turn it over and they make you work and they wore us down. Cle tried it at times, but we crushed them on the boards with second opportunities which neutralized things. We have a long way to go and there's a lot of responsibility on Brunson's shoulders. This why a Lowry would make sense even if we just kept it to the buyout market.

DLeethal

1/31/2024  10:51 AM
VDesai wrote:These last few games have prepped me for the mentality that the sky is NOT falling if we don't make a trade.

That said teams will press the Knicks in the playoffs. The regular season is a marathon and the playoffs are long, but once its about elimination teams will go all out and use the press and trap and the Knicks are susceptible. Miami played a turnover margin game with us - they don't turn it over and they make you work and they wore us down. Cle tried it at times, but we crushed them on the boards with second opportunities which neutralized things. We have a long way to go and there's a lot of responsibility on Brunson's shoulders. This why a Lowry would make sense even if we just kept it to the buyout market.

I think the trade really helped us though. DDV, Hart, OG are such heady players and teams aren't gonna expose us with pressure like they used to. These guys know how to break traps and fill the gaps. No one has been able to expose us with zone nor pressure/traps in a long time.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2024  11:57 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Grimes has been a part of this defensive resurgence, no denying that. But we still need a ball handler / scorer with the reserves and Brunson insurance.

These last 2 games Hart has acted as the ball handler, has done a pretty solid job producing 17ast.

Funny, but for a while he was a bit of a turn over machine. With this big trade, a desire to get more touches, and a home stretch where they can practice we see a pattern we can't always see: Players working on things and suck at it then break thru. We saw it with Randle over the years, IQ a few times, RJ and Deuce in particular.
It does not always translate smoothly but when it does the team takes a few steps forward.
Josh is not a great passer but the team is different now and perhaps when the NovaKnicks are together they got that chemistry and its flowing.
I understand the desire to get Mikal here and complete the "Villinovaitizatoin" of the team but that might be a bit of a stretch? If it happens, I'll root for it too!!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/31/2024  1:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  1:29 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Nalod wrote:PRedictions? Windy and collective this morning talk alot about knicks and Cavs who are both doing super well.
Not finished it but that they are like 14-4 without mobley and Garland and playing great defense is the subject.
They think Knicks don’t spend much on a rental. They discuss the EF salary slot and how it could get picked up for next year and used if desired. We not the only team with picks and with Thunder are in a great situation “winning” with all that capital.
The really give Team credit for Randle, Brunson, Ihart and DDV signings and “very methodical” in doing so without the big premature grab as we did “for a generation”. The won’t use “Starphuch”. That takes time. LOL.

THat NOla and Houstan are on the rise with the picks they have are telling.

We are down three starters and blowing out under .500 teams. This is not a bad thing BTW, its quite good.
Fans reaction to injuries is to fix it with trades but we patch it with depth. I don’t expect we stay at this level BTW. Our guys will get tired and if more injuries happen we start to get the talent squeeze. Trades take time to acclimate new players TRADITIONALLY. OG has fit in day one and precius needed only a few games after a slow start.
Leon won’t over pay. THat I can predict. Will everything turn to gold as it has?

The stream of consciousness writing style is harder to follow this morning. This one is a gem.

This mean the meds kicked in or haven't kicked in yet? One wonders

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2024  2:01 PM
martin wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Nalod wrote:PRedictions? Windy and collective this morning talk alot about knicks and Cavs who are both doing super well.
Not finished it but that they are like 14-4 without mobley and Garland and playing great defense is the subject.
They think Knicks don’t spend much on a rental. They discuss the EF salary slot and how it could get picked up for next year and used if desired. We not the only team with picks and with Thunder are in a great situation “winning” with all that capital.
The really give Team credit for Randle, Brunson, Ihart and DDV signings and “very methodical” in doing so without the big premature grab as we did “for a generation”. The won’t use “Starphuch”. That takes time. LOL.

We are down three starters and blowing out under .500 teams. This is not a bad thing BTW, its quite good.
Fans reaction to injuries is to fix it with trades but we patch it with depth. I don’t expect we stay at this level BTW. Our guys will get tired and if more injuries happen we start to get the talent squeeze. Trades take time to acclimate new players TRADITIONALLY. OG has fit in day one and precius needed only a few games after a slow start.
Leon won’t over pay. THat I can predict. Will everything turn to gold as it has?

The stream of consciousness writing style is harder to follow this morning. This one is a gem.

Your Meds or mine?

martin
USA
1/31/2024  2:06 PM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Your Meds or mine?

hahaha mine are always in kicked in mode lol

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/31/2024  2:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2024  2:16 PM
Nalod wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Funny, but for a while he was a bit of a turn over machine. With this big trade, a desire to get more touches, and a home stretch where they can practice we see a pattern we can't always see: Players working on things and suck at it then break thru. We saw it with Randle over the years, IQ a few times, RJ and Deuce in particular.
It does not always translate smoothly but when it does the team takes a few steps forward.
Josh is not a great passer but the team is different now and perhaps when the NovaKnicks are together they got that chemistry and its flowing.
I understand the desire to get Mikal here and complete the "Villinovaitizatoin" of the team but that might be a bit of a stretch? If it happens, I'll root for it too!!

Funny thing is I remember at the time around his draft. Members were hoping to draft him with a late first hoping to hit a home run with him as an oversized PG of the future. He also shot 46,36,40% from three his Soph-Senior year at decent volume.

Currently Thibs is clearly working things out given the circumstances. Before OG went down they were featuring him heavy with the 2nd unit as the go to. With OG out he has tasked Hart with a lot more ball handling duties. While he is far from a wizard with rock. He seems more comfortable handling the ball than being a catch and shoot guy. Like he doesn't pass up the opportunity to handle the rock as much as he would pass up the opportunity to shoot a three.

On the Mikal side, he is coming and there is nothing we can do about it! Nets are a lottery team with no draft pick, who also don't have the cap space to beat out other teams for premium talent.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/31/2024  6:30 PM
VDesai wrote:These last few games have prepped me for the mentality that the sky is NOT falling if we don't make a trade.

Lowry is from Philadelphia wouldn't he prefer to go there instead ?

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/31/2024  6:31 PM
Any one remember Rory Sparrow another Villanova Knicks PG
DLeethal

2/2/2024  1:14 PM
I'm starting to wonder if DeMarr Derozan would be OK taking a bench role here, given his age and the legitimate title chances this team would have with him as a super sub. I feel the Knicks torrid stretch going into the deadline, would lead to some better players willing to take that bench scoring role to try and a win a title with this cast in NYC. It would be a really wise decision for a player like DeMarr at this stage of his career. He has nothing else to prove starting and putting up 25ppg on a crappy team anymore.
DLeethal

2/2/2024  1:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2024  1:15 PM
Fournier, Grimes, pick(s) for DD is probably the #1 title contention play you can make if he takes on a supersub role.

Brunson - DDV - OG - Randle - iHart
Deuce - Hart - Derozan - Precious/Mitch (for playoffs)

That is a friggen lineup right there.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/2/2024  2:09 PM
DLeethal wrote:Fournier, Grimes, pick(s) for DD is probably the #1 title contention play you can make if he takes on a supersub role.

I was on the Derozan train, even started a thread about it last year and this year. After recently seeing a shot chart, it became clear to me that Thibs doesn’t value the mid range shot. Thibs being big on metrics prefers 3’s and shots at the rim for their higher percentage. Looks like any Knicks target has to either get to the basket or shoot 3’s and play defense. I think we can scratch DeRozan off the list

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/2/2024  2:10 PM
I'm a pass on Clarkson. Keeping my powder dry if that's the only deal on the table.
DLeethal

2/2/2024  3:21 PM
Rookie wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Fournier, Grimes, pick(s) for DD is probably the #1 title contention play you can make if he takes on a supersub role.

I was on the Derozan train, even started a thread about it last year and this year. After recently seeing a shot chart, it became clear to me that Thibs doesn’t value the mid range shot. Thibs being big on metrics prefers 3’s and shots at the rim for their higher percentage. Looks like any Knicks target has to either get to the basket or shoot 3’s and play defense. I think we can scratch DeRozan off the list

Maybe, I think Thibs would adjust for one of the best mid range snipers of all time leading the bench though.

DLeethal

2/2/2024  3:23 PM
IDK, the thought of Derozan deciding to lessen his role to win a chip in NY has me salivating now for some reason. He is one of the few guys who could really make us title contender this year, especially if he just takes over the bench with Hart and we leave the starters chemistry untouched.
MaddogSharp
Member: #9030

2/3/2024  8:01 AM
The more we go on the more I don’t want to screw up the chemistry and rather stand pat. The fact that we still look great without Mitch, Randle, and OG proves there something special here. Plus the prices for even guys coming off the ne h seem pretty steep
BingBong
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #9036

2/3/2024  10:00 AM
MaddogSharp wrote:The more we go on the more I don’t want to screw up the chemistry and rather stand pat. The fact that we still look great without Mitch, Randle, and OG proves there something special here. Plus the prices for even guys coming off the ne h seem pretty steep

Dittos for me. Very leery of tampering with something that is working like a well-oiled machine. I think Brogdon could be a plus to the team, but tampering with success is unnerving...at least it is to me.

MaddogSharp
Member: #9030

2/3/2024  10:58 AM
BingBong wrote:
MaddogSharp wrote:The more we go on the more I don’t want to screw up the chemistry and rather stand pat. The fact that we still look great without Mitch, Randle, and OG proves there something special here. Plus the prices for even guys coming off the ne h seem pretty steep

Dittos for me. Very leery of tampering with something that is working like a well-oiled machine. I think Brogdon could be a plus to the team, but tampering with success is unnerving...at least it is to me.

exactly. I mean another big man or scorer off the bench would be nice but the prices seem a bit crazy like grimes and at least 1 first for coming off the bench
martin
USA
2/5/2024  5:32 PM
I did not think of the opt out and resign option for Bruce Brown. Interesting

Trade deadline predictions (deadline: Thursday, Feb 8 at 3 pm ET)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy