[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would you eat Ben Simmons contract to secure Mikal Bridges?
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/19/2024  11:01 AM
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/8755663

Fournier, Mitch, Grimes for Mikal & Simmons somehow works on trade checker. Would also most likely need to add 2-3 first attached.

For the Nets would pretty much clear out their cap and allow them to add missing draft capital. They don't currently have a 2024 first round draft pick or a 2026 draft pick. Mikal may not fit the timeline of them doing anything before he becomes an UFA. Knicks can provide them with 2 first for 2024, and that 2026 first they are missing (If they really wanna play hardball). This would give them 9 first round draft picks from 2024-2029. As well as the $40mil in cap space cleared from Simmons contract to utilize in FA(throw money some money Miles Bridges etc) &/or eat contracts for more draft capital. With Mitch and Grimes also potentially being quality long term role players.

For Knicks its self explanatory. Simmons would be dead weight for a season and a half, but after that!!

Starters: Brunson, Mikal, OG, Randle, Hartenstein
Rotation: DDV, Hart, Mikal, OG, (Simmons)
Rotation: Brunson, DDV, Hart, Randle, Hartenstein

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

1/19/2024  11:21 AM
Mikal is no longer needed with OG.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/19/2024  11:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2024  11:42 AM
DLeethal wrote:Mikal is no longer needed with OG.

You were on the "don't draft Michael Jordan because Clyde Drexler was already on roster" team, weren't you?

Mikal can play SG

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/19/2024  11:48 AM
Definitely something that would need to be done in the off season. Hard to consider trading Mitch when we don't know if iHart is coming back.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
1/19/2024  11:55 AM

The similarities are that they both can defend multiple positions and shoot the 3. The difference though is Mikal can put the ball on the floor and create a lot better than OG can. While OG can guard more PF/C types than Mikal can.

The duo of them on the perimeter though!!!

newyorknewyork
1/19/2024  12:02 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Definitely something that would need to be done in the off season. Hard to consider trading Mitch when we don't know if iHart is coming back.

So your saying its not a deal that we should be looking to prioritize and lock in to secure him? Imo filling in that center role even if worst case we lost both(Though I don't see Hartenstein not wanting to start at center for this contending group). Is a lot easier than landing a Mikal and his skill set for this roster.

Not to mention Simmons expiring contract at $40mil could potentially net a center replacement. Especially at the trade deadline next season.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/19/2024  12:04 PM
I have no problems with this starting unit going into the playoffs. They should develop more chemistry going into the second half of the season. We have an anemic bench, that should be the FO's job one.

I believe the best course of action this season is to get some bench help. See how far we go. The FO reviews our playoff performance, and makes the appropriate upgrade. As good as Bridges is, I want to see for myself that we need an upgrade at SG, and that Bridges is the best we can do.

This is the best starting lineup we've had in many years. I'd much rather wait and see what happens in the playoffs with this starting unit, than commit to a big trade, give away 1st rounders. for an upgrade that isnt necessary at this point.

martin
USA
1/19/2024  12:08 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/8755663

Fournier, Mitch, Grimes for Mikal & Simmons somehow works on trade checker. Would also most likely need to add 2-3 first attached.

For the Nets would pretty much clear out their cap and allow them to add missing draft capital. They don't currently have a 2024 first round draft pick or a 2026 draft pick. Mikal may not fit the timeline of them doing anything before he becomes an UFA. Knicks can provide them with 2 first for 2024, and that 2026 first they are missing (If they really wanna play hardball). This would give them 9 first round draft picks from 2024-2029. As well as the $40mil in cap space cleared from Simmons contract to utilize in FA(throw money some money Miles Bridges etc) &/or eat contracts for more draft capital. With Mitch and Grimes also potentially being quality long term role players.

For Knicks its self explanatory. Simmons would be dead weight for a season and a half, but after that!!

Starters: Brunson, Mikal, OG, Randle, Hartenstein
Rotation: DDV, Hart, Mikal, OG, (Simmons)
Rotation: Brunson, DDV, Hart, Randle, Hartenstein

I'd probably do it.

But I'd also put enough money in an offshore bitcoin brokerage and ask iHart to safeguard my username and password and tell him that he needs to have a backup person like his wife also know the password just in case.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

1/19/2024  12:11 PM
math doesn't work but hell yes i would
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/19/2024  12:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2024  12:20 PM
martin wrote:

You were on the "don't draft Michael Jordan because Clyde Drexler was already on roster" team, weren't you?

Mikal can play SG

But Drexler can guard multiple positions.

Bridges is an RJ fit problem with a better 3pt shot.
If I am putting an NBA roster together (may if I am asked), I want to identify my main player and then add the best possible complimentary pieces around him. Right now, JB is our MAIN player. Think a ball heavy SG would hurt team synergy. Now if we bring in a guy like DM, the FO needs to ask itself it JB compliments him. The answer would probably be no.
See Bridges as a successful lead guy on a losing team. Not sure if he can go back to what he was in Phoenix.

Is he worth a shot even if you feel the same way as I do? Maybe, but what will it cost?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/19/2024  12:22 PM
Oh, and would not take on the thing called Simmons for anyone!
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/19/2024  12:36 PM
martin wrote:

Mikal can play SG

Nah, you just don't break the bank to put someone like Bridges in an off position. Our starting 2 needs to be able to guard PGs many nights because we don't want Brunson guarding star PGs.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/19/2024  12:39 PM
Also, if the current starting lineup can get to the ECF (with some bench help), I think we'll have our best chance of attracting elite players who have snubbed the Knicks for decades.

Because they wanted a ring, more than the $$$. Not that they didnt want to get paid. Superstars didnt want to have the kind of career Melo had with the Knicks. Nice stats, but not much else.

A deep playoff run with the current starting lineup could break the dam. The offseason would become very interesting.

martin
USA
1/19/2024  12:42 PM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

Mikal can play SG

Nah, you just don't break the bank to put someone like Bridges in an off position. Our starting 2 needs to be able to guard PGs many nights because we don't want Brunson guarding star PGs.

I have to tell you, I don't know what you are talking about.

Mikal Bridges is a premier defender in the same way OG is but just build differently. Mikal is an all defensive team guy who can swallow PG's whole. You start OG, Mikal, Brunson and move DDV to bench.

I think trading for Mikal would have the same impact defensively as OG has had with Knicks with the added benefit of being offensively much better than OG. Not a complete offensive player by any means, but a very good one that compliments Randle/Brunson to a T.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/19/2024  12:47 PM
DLeethal wrote:
martin wrote:

Mikal can play SG

Bridges guards 1-4. I don't think he is specifically available, but I wouldn't hesitate to slot him at the 2. I think Brooklyn should have doubts whether he really is a lead scorer. I'd be in their bidding up the price on Mikal to make sure it is hard for Brooklyn to make a Bridges/Mitchell swap.

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
1/19/2024  12:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2024  12:55 PM
OK, I am going to combine 2 ideas into one and do some gonzo future predictions:

1) Knicks FO, do what you can to trade for Dejounte Murray this year.

2) Bring Dejounte off bench (cause that's a better fit for Knicks) and tell him and Rich Paul and Klutch all about inflating Dejounte's value in that particular super sized 6th man hyper defensive role and get a deep playoff run so that.....

3) ...so that in the offseason (or following season), CAA & Klutch can maneuver Dejounte to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges so that Rich Paul can move his Klutch clients there and build something around Dejounte in Brooklyn with the notion that maybe Spida would come to the Nets when he gets to be an UFA and those 2 fit and can go bonkers in Brooklyn. Maybe even LeBron and his kid can join the fun. Brooklyn will have tons of cap space by then.

How's that for data?

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/19/2024  1:03 PM
To match salaries you would have to give up another 20M in player contracts. You would be looking at adding DDV and iHart to that deal. We have a winning team now, there is no urgency to make an in season move that leaves us even more short handed. This off season we need to bolster our bench and build some depth and youth in the pipeline. It's crazy, we finally have some success and no one will be satisfied until we hit it out of the park. Maybe enjoy having a winning team just a little after 20+ years of being a laughing stock or an organization?

Maybe a deal materializes where we add that bench player for Fournier and Grimes, but if it doesn't I'm good with rolling with what we have and picking up some bench reinforcement on the waiver wire after the trade deadline.

Ideally, the perfect fit on this team would be Anthony Edwards but that is never happening. We just don't have the expendable spare parts to deal for a star player. Picks, yes. Expiring contract yes, but only 1 young player with trade value. The rest have solidified themselves as core pieces. Maybe you add Mitch to the expendable list but he's injured.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/19/2024  1:05 PM
martin wrote:OK, I am going to combine 2 ideas into one and do some gonzo future predictions:

2) Bring Dejounte off bench (cause that's a better fit for Knicks) and tell him and Rich Paul and Klutch all about inflating Dejounte's value in that particular super sized 6th man hyper defensive role and get a deep playoff run so that.....

3) ...so that in the offseason (or following season), CAA & Klutch can maneuver Dejounte to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges so that Rich Paul can move his Klutch clients there and build something around Dejounte in Brooklyn with the notion that maybe Spida would come to the Nets when he gets to be an UFA and those 2 fit and can go bonkers in Brooklyn. Maybe even LeBron and his kid can join the fun. Brooklyn will have tons of cap space by then.

How's that for data?

I like it but Brooklyn could just trade for Murray this season if they want to.

martin
USA
1/19/2024  1:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2024  1:07 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:OK, I am going to combine 2 ideas into one and do some gonzo future predictions:

How's that for data?

They got like no picks to trade.

Who they trading and what is Atlanta accepting?

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/19/2024  1:10 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:

How's that for data?

They got like no picks to trade.

Who they trading and what is Atlanta accepting?

Didn't they get picks back from Dallas and Phoenix and their own ?

Would you eat Ben Simmons contract to secure Mikal Bridges?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy