martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/14/2024  12:20 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:Good job taking care of business without Brunson. I was a little worried being down 4 at halftime but kudos to the team for stepping up. Deuce played really well in his first start. He's honestly soften the blow losing IQ. I'm getting to a point where I kind of don't want to trade for a vet. Let Deuce continue to play and grow. And Hartenstein with another 20 rebound and 4 blocks game. Insane how well he's played filling in for Rob!

And congrats to Thibs on 500 wins. That's a huge accomplishment in an era where most coaches don't last. Thibs is not perfect and he does things I don't like or agree with - like playing Deuce and Hartenstein the entire second half last night - but overall he's done a very good job of establishing the culture and winning. To make the playoffs 3 out of 4 years seemed like an impossible task before he got here.

I have been a McBride backer from draft but even I have to admit we need a vet that can create for himself/others. The turnovers this game alone is proof of that While McBrides shot is going we good but I am not yet ready to trust he can constantly breakdown a defense and we will need that in the playoffs.

Trust today and tomorrow versus allowing a player to develop into that trust.

Hard balance

Deuce isn’t going to develop into a creative breakdown point just like RJ isn’t going to develop a smooth mid-range or speed.

Certain things like his 3-point shot development can be improved but naturally instinctive creativity isn’t on the list.

To be clear I LOVE DEUCE

2 years ago IQ was not a good PG

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
1/14/2024  12:20 PM
martin wrote:

The one game I missed and deuce goes off?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

1/14/2024  12:23 PM
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:Good job taking care of business without Brunson. I was a little worried being down 4 at halftime but kudos to the team for stepping up. Deuce played really well in his first start. He's honestly soften the blow losing IQ. I'm getting to a point where I kind of don't want to trade for a vet. Let Deuce continue to play and grow. And Hartenstein with another 20 rebound and 4 blocks game. Insane how well he's played filling in for Rob!

And congrats to Thibs on 500 wins. That's a huge accomplishment in an era where most coaches don't last. Thibs is not perfect and he does things I don't like or agree with - like playing Deuce and Hartenstein the entire second half last night - but overall he's done a very good job of establishing the culture and winning. To make the playoffs 3 out of 4 years seemed like an impossible task before he got here.

I have been a McBride backer from draft but even I have to admit we need a vet that can create for himself/others. The turnovers this game alone is proof of that While McBrides shot is going we good but I am not yet ready to trust he can constantly breakdown a defense and we will need that in the playoffs.

Hard balance

I think the player that we have to decide on developing or not isnt Deuce, but Grimes. Grimes is moving down the pecking order. He has to slow down offensively and be more than a spot up shooter in his bench role.

At this point if you could trade Fournier and Grimes for Brogdon that sound like a no brainer. I think you could still develop Deuce, but Brogdon is a secondary creator and better shooter than Grimes. He brings everything think Quickley did in his role here with more size. I still think Deuce plays a role in the rotation even if he we make that trade.

Grimes is better than this. I know he can drive and dish and has better instincts, but he seems ton just be pressing too hard and playing too fast. He needs to slow down and make better decisions.

I’ve concluded that Grimes is a basket case of nerves who in 2-3 years has rarely shown the ability to find good/easy shots —- everything is under pressure and he hasn’t developed any area (like RJ) where you can see the improvement. He plays scared, takes tough shots, passes up good looks to go crashing to the basket or telegraph a pass. I think he’s going for an alternative player.

Good kid, root for him but again this is the same player we saw as a rookie - he is who he’s shown us he is (up and down with potential to disappear).

blkexec
Member: #748
1/14/2024  12:24 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Team scored 106 pts and had how many turn overs against a team missing 9 rotation players. Geezus we need a third bonafide scorer to beat playoffs teams. Deuce showed he can shoot. Pair Deuce with Clarkson or Brogdon off the bench and that's fine, but we need a guy like those vets at the very least. Prefer a bigger acquisition talent wise. Yet, at the very least need a Brogdon or Clarkson for the playoffs.

DAL just got smoked at home to a NOLA team without Ingram, Zion and CJ and on a 2nd night of a B2B. I'm happy with the W

And before Dallas beat us, this Memphis team without Ja destroyed Dallas. So clearly the Dallas mavericks came to play against us. That was personal. The loses before and after us is their norm 🤣

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
LivingLegend

1/14/2024  12:27 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

I think the player that we have to decide on developing or not isnt Deuce, but Grimes. Grimes is moving down the pecking order. He has to slow down offensively and be more than a spot up shooter in his bench role.

At this point if you could trade Fournier and Grimes for Brogdon that sound like a no brainer. I think you could still develop Deuce, but Brogdon is a secondary creator and better shooter than Grimes. He brings everything think Quickley did in his role here with more size. I still think Deuce plays a role in the rotation even if he we make that trade.

Grimes is better than this. I know he can drive and dish and has better instincts, but he seems ton just be pressing too hard and playing too fast. He needs to slow down and make better decisions.

Indeed about Deuce. If Deuce is a 3 pt shooter he may be more valuable then Grimes. Deuce can disrupt the point of attack and if we have a ball handler with height like Brogdon or Clarkson Deuce guards the opposing ball handler and the bigger guard defense the opposing off guard. I like Grimes and if we can keep him, I'd celebrate. But Grimes and his skill set can be replaced in the off season.

Deuce has shown far more development vs Grimes and Deuce can find shots in mid range that I’d trust he can make - Grimes is like a roll of the dice and I’m losing trust with him. His 2 big games were in monumental blowouts.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/14/2024  12:42 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

Indeed about Deuce. If Deuce is a 3 pt shooter he may be more valuable then Grimes. Deuce can disrupt the point of attack and if we have a ball handler with height like Brogdon or Clarkson Deuce guards the opposing ball handler and the bigger guard defense the opposing off guard. I like Grimes and if we can keep him, I'd celebrate. But Grimes and his skill set can be replaced in the off season.

Deuce has shown far more development vs Grimes and Deuce can find shots in mid range that I’d trust he can make - Grimes is like a roll of the dice and I’m losing trust with him. His 2 big games were in monumental blowouts.

Brogdon/Clarkson match well with either Grimes/Deuce better then
DEUCE AND Grimes. When we made the OG trade it was clear we needed a follow up trade. Once we have up IQ and RJ in the same trade it sort of took us out of the Murray deal range. For what it will take to get Murray we could get Clarkson/Brogdon and a center.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/14/2024  12:43 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

This was Deuce first start… against a GLeague team?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
LivingLegend

1/14/2024  5:39 PM
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

Deuce isn’t going to develop into a creative breakdown point just like RJ isn’t going to develop a smooth mid-range or speed.

Certain things like his 3-point shot development can be improved but naturally instinctive creativity isn’t on the list.

To be clear I LOVE DEUCE

2 years ago IQ was not a good PG

I’m not a big IQ fan - pounds ball WAY TOO MUCH for me but I’m talking quickness, instincts, vision —- these things are gifted and Deuce (IMO) doesn’t have them naturally. IQ is superior on those traits but again I don’t think IQ is so great - expect him to get exposed some in a Toronto as a starter and expect teammates won’t love waiting for him to pound the air out of the ball longer term.

LivingLegend

1/14/2024  5:57 PM
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

This was Deuce first start… against a GLeague team?

I’m talking about in the minutes we’ve given him he has continued to show growth (not last night specifically) - talking about how he has started to manipulate the dribble some (navigate screens, get guys on his back). He’s not great at anything offensively but you see little things of how he’s trying to manipulate space.

For me when Deuce shoots I expect it to go in - with Grimes I’m hoping it’s not an airball - now that may defy the shooting % but it’s a reflection on the confidence each player plays with. Deuce has some swag and Grimes seems scared - I don’t think that feeling is going to go away watching these 2.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/14/2024  8:40 PM
Early game tomorrow. How about a game thread?

[IMG_block] https://www.si.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_522/MTY4MjU4ODI4NjUwNDI0MjIx/jessica.webp [/IMG_block]

Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/14/2024  11:20 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

[b]Deuce has shown far more development vs Grimes [b/]and Deuce can find shots in mid range that I’d trust he can make - Grimes is like a roll of the dice and I’m losing trust with him. His 2 big games were in monumental blowouts.

All this after one game against a Memphis backcourt consisting of backups.

Tell me you don’t watch NBA games without telling me you don’t watch NBA games

LivingLegend

1/14/2024  11:48 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:

Hard balance

[b]Deuce has shown far more development vs Grimes [b/]and Deuce can find shots in mid range that I’d trust he can make - Grimes is like a roll of the dice and I’m losing trust with him. His 2 big games were in monumental blowouts.

All this after one game against a Memphis backcourt consisting of backups.

Tell me you don’t watch NBA games without telling me you don’t watch NBA games

He’s been on the team for 2.5 years and played in 130 games - what you talking about Willis?

Your the expert though - shower me with your vast bball knowledge.

[Game Thread 1/13/24 @8PM] Knicks at Grizzlies

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy