[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can Knicks pull off a Miami?
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
1/10/2024  11:40 AM
A lot of chatter in the media about what this team is or isn't right now.
I realize that they don't have the star power that Mil or Boston have.
But just last year, Miami made it to the NBA Finals over those two with a similar lack of star power.
Butler, Bam, and Herro.
Not saying its "probably" but what are the odds the Knicks can pull off a similar dark horse playoff surprise?
Granted, Randle would have to defy his detractors (and his own playoff track record) and show up.
But right now, this is a great starting 5 with a good bench (assuming Grimes can stay in his groove, or better), even if not as potent as it seemed last year.
Josh Hart, while still doing everything else, is not shooting like he was last year. Still, the second unit is moving well, and playing well together.
Thoughts on how far this team can go in the East Conference bracket?

Right now there is absolutely no telling who could be the match up in the first round as everything from 4-8 are so tight. Could be Miami, Indy, Cleveland. I think Indy scares me the most.

AUTOADVERT
SergioNYK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #333
USA
1/10/2024  11:46 AM
I think only Miami can pull off a Miami. All credit to Spoelstra. I swear that roster would be in the lottery without him!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/10/2024  1:16 PM
SergioNYK wrote:I think only Miami can pull off a Miami. All credit to Spoelstra. I swear that roster would be in the lottery without him!
Same guy who blew a 20 point lead in the 4th of the IST to Thib's Knicks? THAT guy?

Bam/Jimmy are star players... right in line w/ Brunson and Randle. I think we have passed them. Knicks are def one of the best coached teams in the league. I love where the program is going and I love our ability to close games with Brunson as the general

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/10/2024  1:21 PM
fishmike wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:I think only Miami can pull off a Miami. All credit to Spoelstra. I swear that roster would be in the lottery without him!
Same guy who blew a 20 point lead in the 4th of the IST to Thib's Knicks? THAT guy?

Bam/Jimmy are star players... right in line w/ Brunson and Randle. I think we have passed them. Knicks are def one of the best coached teams in the league. I love where the program is going and I love our ability to close games with Brunson as the general

As long as we have guys making their shots from 3, we have passed them for sure.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/10/2024  1:43 PM
No matter how much I dislike them, can’t have nothing but respect for that team and organization. They’re the opposite of KD and whatever his current group of super friend ring chasing divas are.

BTW we’ll know the bandwagon is for real when Durant demands a trade to the Knicks.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/10/2024  1:52 PM
Panos wrote:A lot of chatter in the media about what this team is or isn't right now.
I realize that they don't have the star power that Mil or Boston have.
But just last year, Miami made it to the NBA Finals over those two with a similar lack of star power.
Butler, Bam, and Herro.
Not saying its "probably" but what are the odds the Knicks can pull off a similar dark horse playoff surprise?
Granted, Randle would have to defy his detractors (and his own playoff track record) and show up.
But right now, this is a great starting 5 with a good bench (assuming Grimes can stay in his groove, or better), even if not as potent as it seemed last year.
Josh Hart, while still doing everything else, is not shooting like he was last year. Still, the second unit is moving well, and playing well together.
Thoughts on how far this team can go in the East Conference bracket?

Right now there is absolutely no telling who could be the match up in the first round as everything from 4-8 are so tight. Could be Miami, Indy, Cleveland. I think Indy scares me the most.

Miami got healthy at the right time so its no surprise they went far last year. seedings don't tell the whole story.
Credit to them and the whole "culture" thing they do. They makes mistakes like most teams and still come out ahead. Lowrey at 30 mil plus was a bad contract but they still are good enough. Credit to Spo and the FO for what they do. Even Duncan Robinson got back on his trajectory and plays to his contract again.

I don't follow them as I do here but he gets the benefit of the doubt because he won with the "HEATles" and has done well since. Likable guy. Married a Cheerleader. Is not divorcing. ToddBot kind of guy! LOL
What do they do that makes them sucessful? They have a formula. A discipline. A methodical one.
We do too. Thibs does not have the cred of Spo, but he does what the great ones do. Do what they know. All great ones evolve also. They have to.
Thibs has as well.

Is our two time COY year a great one? Not yet. We can only hope. Gotta win a chip as head coach for that.
Thibs for all his warts succeeds with what he has and is devoted to his craft.
Nalod has mad respect for Spo,but i do recall some thin years when they tanked or were letting salary expire.

Nalod
USA
1/10/2024  1:53 PM
KnickDanger wrote:No matter how much I dislike them, can’t have nothing but respect for that team and organization. They’re the opposite of KD and whatever his current group of super friend ring chasing divas are.

BTW we’ll know the bandwagon is for real when Durant demands a trade to the Knicks.

Have your forgotten "The Heatles"?

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/10/2024  2:03 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:No matter how much I dislike them, can’t have nothing but respect for that team and organization. They’re the opposite of KD and whatever his current group of super friend ring chasing divas are.

Have your forgotten "The Heatles"?

Oh right! The original Super Friends. Oy. Well except for that!

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/10/2024  2:12 PM
I thought we were one piece away last year in the play offs. OG might well be that guy.

The big thing is going to be health.

Season ends today, I like the Knicks as much as any of the top teams.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/14/2024  11:53 AM
franco12 wrote:I thought we were one piece away last year in the play offs. OG might well be that guy.

We are one piece away that piece is DM

Nalod
USA
1/14/2024  2:05 PM
Philc1 wrote:
franco12 wrote:I thought we were one piece away last year in the play offs. OG might well be that guy.

Donovan Mitchell? How do you envision a 9 man rotation for contention?
What Players do you think with picks gets traded?

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/14/2024  2:27 PM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Donovan Mitchell? How do you envision a 9 man rotation for contention?
What Players do you think with picks gets traded?

Pretty sure he meant Darko Milicic

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/14/2024  7:44 PM
I don’t see why they can’t. It’s all about having 2 offensive engines, surrounded by elite role players who shoot and defend.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/14/2024  10:58 PM

This 100%

Thibs isn’t on Spoelstra level

Nalod
USA
1/15/2024  9:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2024  9:28 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:

This 100%

Thibs isn’t on Spoelstra level

I think the point was over time, and time is only given to those FO that are successful.

Riley was given (He has since sold his shares) equity in the Heat and the long tenure allows for mistakes to be digested and success to be breed over time. The Michael Beasley era came and went unnoticed. WE forget the down years.

Riley stepped down and SVG was given the gig and while he was not a bad coach, he was removed and Riles stepped back in and the Wade Era was galvanized with Shaq. Riles stepped down to a rebuild which cleared cap and good fortune smiled on Riles and the Heatles were born. Spo was not quite the cult of personality then and the Arrogant still immature Lebron blew the 2011 series vs Dallas. Riles rejected coming back and perhaps empowered Spo at that moment to define his career. He Then won two chips with Lebron and earned his cred.
To me his best coaching has been the in the Jimmy Butler era as they constantly the unlikely victors on paper but that culture thing just grinds out teams.

Thibs is not there and will never be because he has yet to win his chip at an early age and survive various eras with one team. If he wins a chip, 500 wins + and a gaudy winning % he could get in the HOF perhaps one day but lets get that Chip and then argue it! If so then he will have done it "his way".
If Leon and Co. stay, and Thibs successor is from his tree or better. yet an assistant who steps up then you are "cultural organization".

Miami did this over three decades.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/15/2024  12:14 PM
Randle is just as skilled as Butler, but he isnt on the same level when it comes to focus. Keeping his head in the game.

I believe that Randle's ankle injury has been a blessing in disguise. That extra burst he used to have was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because he could blow by defenders like a PG. But once he got past the first defender, Jules was too often like a runaway train.

Randle isnt on Butler's level when it comes to decision making. But this season Randle is playing more at a pace that suits him. Might even help him become a better closer later in the season. Which is the biggest difference between the two players.

Panos
1/30/2024  10:12 AM
When I started this thread it was just a mere musing. At this point, I really believe it could happen if we can get Randle back and into game shape by the playoffs. Seeing how DDV has blossomed in the starting SG role, I am really not sure we need any upgrade there. Between JB and JR taking the lionshare of the usage, you just cannot fit another star in that role. DDV is the perfect player in that role. Does exactly everything you want from him.
And, of course, there is the much discussed OG effect. I won't say much about that except that I will admit I had absolutely NO IDEA that this could happen. Yes, I wanted to get rid of RJ for a couple of years now, as more than a bad fit, I just didn't think he brought enough to the table to warrant his usage. OG takes less usage and does more with it. And what can you say about iHart? He has been an incredible next-man-up, to the point where he might have earned the starting job. There is just so much more ball movement with him on the court. The platoon of him and Mitch (if he comes back) is going to be an incredible defensive wall against any offensive bigs out there.
Praying for JR to heal up soon so this magical season can have its legit conclusion and we can see how far this team can go.
Panos
1/30/2024  11:13 PM
Has there ever been a team to get to the NBA finals with no AllStar?
Has there ever been an MVP that was not also an All Star?
Just saying. It could happen.
Nalod
USA
1/31/2024  8:30 AM
Panos wrote:Has there ever been a team to get to the NBA finals with no AllStar?

No all star in finals? Doubt that.
Playoff MVP? Was Igudala an allstar the year he was MVP in finals?

Panos
1/31/2024  4:02 PM
Nalod wrote:
Panos wrote:Has there ever been a team to get to the NBA finals with no AllStar?

No all star in finals? Doubt that.
Playoff MVP? Was Igudala an allstar the year he was MVP in finals?

No, I mean regular season MVP. If Brunson leads this team to a #2 finish in the conference is he not in that conversation?

Can Knicks pull off a Miami?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy