Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/24/2004  7:07 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/255941p-219180c.html

Knicks have outside shot at Vince

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The best chance the Knicks may have of bringing Vince Carter to New York this year is to smuggle him across the border after tonight's game in Toronto.

Carter is playing and talking his way out of Toronto, but a deal with the Knicks remains a longshot, even though Carter told Raptors management last summer that he wanted to be traded to New York.

Isiah Thomas, who is always looking to upgrade his roster and add a legitimate superstar, is said to be interested in dealing for Carter. But the Knicks president is realistic about his chances, especially since Thomas would have to part with his best player, Stephon Marbury. Toronto wants no part of Allan Houston.

The Raptors, however, are coming to the realization that they may not get equal value for Carter, whose game and production have declined for three years. Toronto talked to the Portland Trail Blazers about a deal for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Other reports had the Raptors looking to trade Carter, Jalen Rose, Milt Palacio and Jerome Moiso for Abdur-Rahim, Nick Van Exel, Derek Anderson and Vladimir Stepania.

Abdur-Rahim appeals to the Raptors because his contract expires after the season. The Knicks traded all of their expiring contracts in last summer's deal for Jamal Crawford.

The Knicks are willing to trade Tim Thomas, whose value has never been lower. He also has been booed repeatedly at home games. Some executives around the league feel that a change of scenery and a change of positions - from small forward to power forward - will benefit Thomas.

A Carter-for-Thomas trade would not have seemed plausible over the summer, but Toronto may be willing to make the move if the Knicks would consider taking on Rose's contract. Coincidentally, Carter criticized Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens after Wilkens left the Raptors, saying that the game had passed the coach by. Also, Rose feuded with Isiah Thomas, who was then coach of the Pacers and orchestrated a trade that sent Rose to Chicago.

Carter, 27, is averaging a career-low 14.5 points after scoring 25points last night in a 102-86 loss in Washington. He also has been benched three times in the fourth quarter by new coach Sam Mitchell, including Sunday's victory over San Antonio, when the Raptors overcame a 19-point deficit.

Even Carter's adoring public in Canada is starting to turn on him. Recently at Air Canada Centre, a fan held up a sign that read: "Trade Vince, He's Got No Heart."

"I just have to go out there and play hard for this team," Carter told Toronto reporters. "If they boo, they boo. If they don't, they don't."

Carter's aloof behavior is alienating fans and people in his own organization. Carter caused a stir by wearing an iPod during pregame warmups before the NBA told him to stop listening to music before games. Recently, Carter, one of the league's most entertaining players, made a flippant remark that he won't dunk anymore.

Carter would probably reconsider if Madison Square Garden were to become his home arena.

"I like New York, but there are plenty of NBA cities I'd like to play in," Carter said.

Originally published on November 24, 2004

AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/24/2004  7:14 AM
These contracts are not worth taking on:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Jalen Rose

2004-05: $14,487,000

2005-06: $15,694,250

2006-07: $16,901,500

Vince Carter

2004-05: $12,584,688

2005-06: $13,843,157

2006-07: $15,101,626

2007-08: $16,360,095 (player option)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/24/2004  8:28 AM
TT-Penny

for

Rose-Carter

Saves the raptors money, but I don't know how we can take both of them and have any kind of chemestry with Jamal, Marbs, Allan, and those two. I never likes Jalens game, and if Carter is not dunking, he is not worth bringing in.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
11/24/2004  8:35 AM
we'd better stay away from those guys. rose is a cancer and carter, though talented, would bring nothing we already have.

I say, let's seat and watch our team gelling and growing. Unless we can tarde for big, we're not under any kind of pressure to make a trade.

imagine that, our team is starting to click. in a few weeks, our 1st player off the bench will be allan houston. we still have a lot of progress margin to mess with our team again.
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
11/24/2004  8:45 AM
Getting H20 back will be the equivalent of making a big trade, while giving up zero in return. We are .500 now with a tough stretch of schedule already behind us and are adding back a player who can carry the scoring load at times. Not to mention someone who is a captain and leader for this team.

If Vince doesn't want to take it to the hoop, and just bomb from long distance, what do we need him for when we're getting Houston back who does that better than anyone in the league?

I would do a TT-Vince swap straight up, but taking on Rose for Penny is too much. We need to save one of our large expiring deals to try to land a big man next offseason.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/24/2004  8:51 AM
Although I mentioned it in one of my threads yesterday, but I really don't believe that Isiah is crazy enough to trade for Rose and Vince together. TT for Vince is a no brainer, but Rose for Penny??? hell no. Penny is a savvy vet whom is actually mentoring our young ballers. Forget about Rose.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/24/2004  8:55 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Although I mentioned it in one of my threads yesterday, but I really don't believe that Isiah is crazy enough to trade for Rose and Vince together. TT for Vince is a no brainer, but Rose for Penny??? hell no. Penny is a savvy vet whom is actually mentoring our young ballers. Forget about Rose.

Rose is 10x the player Penny is right now. But that is one big contract, and Isiah don't like him. I don't see it.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
11/24/2004  8:58 AM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

Getting H20 back will be the equivalent of making a big trade, while giving up zero in return. We are .500 now with a tough stretch of schedule already behind us and are adding back a player who can carry the scoring load at times. Not to mention someone who is a captain and leader for this team.

Exactly....H20 is going to be huge for us. Sometimes I think people forget how good he is and only think about the money and the injury - but Allan can ball with the best of them. Cant wait to see him on the court.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/24/2004  9:07 AM
When I read the title, I thought this was gonna be a thread about Vin Baker. Maybe an "outside shot at Vin" being traded for a good PF/C. You got my hopes up and then you ruined it by talking about Vince Carter and Jalen Rose!
OasisBU
USA
11/24/2004  9:10 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

When I read the title, I thought this was gonna be a thread about Vin Baker. Maybe an "outside shot at Vin" being traded for a good PF/C. You got my hopes up and then you ruined it by talking about Vince Carter and Jalen Rose!

I was thinking the same thing!!!!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/24/2004  9:22 AM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

If Vince doesn't want to take it to the hoop, and just bomb from long distance, what do we need him for when we're getting Houston back who does that better than anyone in the league?

I would do a TT-Vince swap straight up, but taking on Rose for Penny is too much. We need to save one of our large expiring deals to try to land a big man next offseason.

I agree with some of this.

Knicks have to look at Houston as being a free agent. The Knicks really don't need him as it is. But if you think of him as someone Isiah just picked up off the free agent market then getting Allan back is awesome. His shooting ability is awesome.

I still like the way the Knicks are playing and I would hate to change it.

Back to Vince and Jalen for Tim and Penny.

It's a wash really. The only thing would be that the Knicks get more athletic. Now as far as minutes it would be chaos. It's hard to believe Jalen excepting Pennys role. That's what makes it a killer. Penny seems to like his role. Penny's defense and all around game fits the Knicks well.

The bottom line on this is Ariza gets chucked for like 3 seasons. Ariza should be playing now.

I hope Isiah steers clear unless its Timmy for Jalen or Vince. JAlen still passes, rebounds and scores well enough to take Timmy's spot. I still wish Timmy would just play better. Timmy is just unguardable if he would act like it. He's got young Yankee pitcher disease.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/24/2004  9:34 AM
Toronto will never trade VC for TT OR penny are you guys crazy? They will get back a named player or VC will stay put in Toronto. Zeke know what Toronto is looking for if Carter leaves and the only thing we have is Marbury and that ain't happening. Anyways they have Rafer Alston doing it well in Toronto. KNICKS WILL NEVER SEE VC IN UNIFORM.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
bernard
Member: #475
11/24/2004  9:39 AM
Don't think IT will go for Half Man/Half Woman or for Antoine. He's put together a nice team ... and one of the points Clyde made last night resonated with me. We're not just young and athletice, we've got good character guys. JYD, Penny, Ariza, Crawford, Nazr -- even the new Steph ... all of them are good guys and good teammates. Not one is a prima donna. Not one is a selfish player. Why would IT add guys who aren't happy unless their getting theirs? Doesn't fit with what we're building.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/24/2004  9:42 AM
no thanks.

we're playing well. if we make any move it's to improve the frontcourt. that's all. no need for wing men.
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
11/24/2004  9:42 AM
PLEASE KEEP VINCE AND JALEN FAR AWAY FROM MSG
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/24/2004  10:01 AM
Half Man/Half Woman

lol!

honestly speaking though, i agree w/playa...there's no way the Knicks will have any shot at Vince unless they offer up Marbury.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
OasisBU
USA
11/24/2004  10:47 AM
I dont want Vince Carter on this team...I definitely dont want Jalen. What have either of them done in the NBA that is going to ehlp the Knicks at this point? They are both malcontents and there is no reason to let that spread with our current roster.

This team already had its share of that attitude - and now thats its over and done with I see no reason to bring it back. All we need is a center or a dominant PF. I would prefer a center keeping cr8zy eyes as the PF because I think (I cant believe I am saying this) that he fits the team well. If only Patrick were young again..this team would be amazing.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/24/2004  11:03 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

This team already had its share of that attitude - and now thats its over and done with I see no reason to bring it back. All we need is a center or a dominant PF. I would prefer a center keeping cr8zy eyes as the PF because I think (I cant believe I am saying this) that he fits the team well. If only Patrick were young again..this team would be amazing.

Why a PF? I think we're ok there. Between Kurt and Sweets, we're
covered more than adequately.

A center, yes. Even tho Nazr is holding his own lately,
he's going to get GROSSLY outmatched when he plays against
any real centers out there, esp, come playoff time.

And we need to do something about the 3-spot. TT sucks. And
unless Ariza is up to taking the role, or Wilkens is happy with
inserting Houston in there, its our second weakest position.
Hence this discussion about Carter.

While I'm not sure what I'd be willing to give up to get him,
I do think this guy is going to come back once he gets out of
Toronto. He's been stuck out in Siberia for TOO long, and just
wants out. And the thing about dunking, that will last only
until he gets traded. Its like he's twisting management's arm
gently. I.e., I'll score because that's what I'm paid to do,
but I'm not going to entertain the fans more than I have to.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/24/2004  11:04 AM
Posted by bernard:

Don't think IT will go for Half Man/Half Woman or for Antoine. He's put together a nice team ... and one of the points Clyde made last night resonated with me. We're not just young and athletice, we've got good character guys. JYD, Penny, Ariza, Crawford, Nazr -- even the new Steph ... all of them are good guys and good teammates. Not one is a prima donna. Not one is a selfish player. Why would IT add guys who aren't happy unless their getting theirs? Doesn't fit with what we're building.

awesome......

wish Timmy would bring it already. I really want Walker because he will make a play rather than be unsure like Timmy.

Thing is you can't trade Timmy. Who will give up a sure player for a guy that is unsure?

IF Timmy played like last years Timmy the Knicks would be undefeated. The Knicks need a guy from the 3 position that can score all around. Timmy can do it. He's been at least playing with some energy lately so he might emerge with a monster game soon. Still it's about 10 games too late.

[Edited by - enyspree on 11/24/2004 11:09:39]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
UKDad
Member: #31
USA
11/24/2004  11:49 AM
Enyspree is right about the center position in the playoffs. Come crunch time, unless Nazr gets better (and he is) then we need a good defensive man in the middle. The chemistry is right now, don't fiddle with it unless it is someone special.
The Old Man of UK...
Daily News: Knicks have outside shot at Vince

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy