[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[Game Thread 1/3/24 @830PM] Knicks vs Bulls on ABC, MSG
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
1/4/2024  7:33 AM
As the President of the Deuce hive, thibs is using deuce in the wrong way. He’s a specially player like OG who specializes in defense. The difference is he’s not a reliable scorer like OG yet, but add in Murray and Deuce slides into his normal role.

But I like what Thibs said. If we are winning and the only gripe is about the second unit then it’s a good day. I like how Thibs is giving deuce some time to shine. He has to show his value with this opportunity. He’s probably killing in practice as a two way guard. But only playing 8 or less mins is not an endorsement of confidence for Thibs.

So get someone in here Thibs trust with the ball. Brogdon has always been my favorite option. But how realistic is that? Who we giving up to get him? And why would they agree to trade him?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/4/2024  7:48 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:The game where reality truly hit. iHart probably ain't gonna be hear next year. 😢

Why not Mitch instead if you are only keeping 1? Asking for a friend.

Both are great at what they do. One is injury prone and not as well-rounded skill wise.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/4/2024  10:01 AM
franco12 wrote:Chicago played yesterday. It caught up with them in the 2nd half, especially the 4th quarter. Not taking anything away from the Knicks, but should not have been this close for this long.

They shot above their pay grade in first half. This would have been a laugher if they shot it at usual click. .

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:09 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
martin wrote:Can you imagine Mitch back and Murray off bench?

Fournier and all the picks for Murray.

Then you done.

Murray ain't coming here to come off the bench 1) he's better than every guard we got not named Jalen and 2) he probably like it as much as Julius or Jalen would like going to the bench.

Now - would he play with the bench guys (YES) but I say he'd start almost certainly. Of course I'm usually wrong 95% of the time.

Maybe wrong about Demar not being someone who would make us better.. Despite his minus yesterday. Which I feel is not a fair gripe. See him as this years Jimmy Buckets for the playoff team that trades for him.

Agree about Murray. He is not coming here to be a backup. As much as I want Devo to play 40 minutes a night, Murray at the 2 and Devo off the bench may be what we need.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/4/2024  10:09 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
franco12 wrote:Chicago played yesterday. It caught up with them in the 2nd half, especially the 4th quarter. Not taking anything away from the Knicks, but should not have been this close for this long.

They shot above their pay grade in first half. This would have been a laugher if they shot it at usual click. .

NBA is a game of runs, best to save our clamp down D and good shooting for the final 8 mins and that's what we did. Lots of turnovers in the first half otherwise we we would have gotten up double digits. The bench unit of Randle-Achiuwa-Hart-Grimes-Deuce was a catastrophic failure - need to insert DDV (or Fournier) into that unit to give Randle a kickout option, otherwise you can clamp on him and force turnovers while 4 guys who are not that confident in their shot stand around and watch.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:17 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Nice win, a little concerned about McBride, he hasn't found his stride yet as a leader of the 2nd unit.

A big issue for a PG is if the D doesn't believe you will go by them and all the way to the rack - Deuce won't, he knows it, they know it and we know it.

So D brings heavy ball pressure and the kid basically does a bunch of dribbling near half court.

I love Deuce but I love him a bit more off the ball because not much happens when he is pounding it going nowhere.

Some think I don't like Deuce, my problem with him is what you just stated. Been playing this game a long time and have seen elite players. Many who just could not take that next step despite their talent. As good as he is, Mcbribe has yet to show the ability to separate against NBA level defenders. He also does not have the dog in him to make it at the top level. Will to score. Kid can play defense and is a great kid, but other than in G League(many who have done it there) he has not shown the confidence to be a solid rotation player.

Waiting to see Flynn in there. Watched a lot of Raptor games and the kid can ball. Just never got those consistent minutes. Hopefully he can help the second unit. Or hopefully Deuce gets it going with more consistent minutes.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  10:28 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
blkexec wrote:Thibs could play Murray like he did RJ. Seems like a good fit but the flip side is how would this impact DDV? He’s been ON FIRE.

i mean assuming we trade Grimes for him, Grimes 18-20mpg + Miles 10-12 gets DJ his minutes without affecting DDV's.

Seeing JHart affect Devo's minutes more than anyone else. Add Murray and it will absolutely affect Devos minutes. But hey, Murray and OG on defensive side would be something to watch.
May take me off the turrets more minutes chant for Devo.

VDesai
USA
1/4/2024  10:20 AM
I think Deuce needs time to develop the confidence in his offensive game, but to me he shows signs. He has a bulldog mentality so he just needs to bring it to the other side of the ball.

The disappointment here is Grimes, who has had plenty of floor time and has the talent. He has a good shot, a good first step and a decent handle. He was a scorer in college so where is it right now? He needs to be more than Reggie Bullock.

But I will continue to ask - if you are gonna have Anunoby OR McBride out there - why can't you put Fournier on the floor? The issue is defense, but when you have that kind of defender next to him, I think you can hide him on a lesser wing and it gives you someone who is a legit double digit NBA scorer on the floor.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  10:33 AM
blkexec wrote:As the President of the Deuce hive, thibs is using deuce in the wrong way. He’s a specially player like OG who specializes in defense. The difference is he’s not a reliable scorer like OG yet, but add in Murray and Deuce slides into his normal role.

But I like what Thibs said. If we are winning and the only gripe is about the second unit then it’s a good day. I like how Thibs is giving deuce some time to shine. He has to show his value with this opportunity. He’s probably killing in practice as a two way guard. But only playing 8 or less mins is not an endorsement of confidence for Thibs.

So get someone in here Thibs trust with the ball. Brogdon has always been my favorite option. But how realistic is that? Who we giving up to get him? And why would they agree to trade him?

Agree with you but this is the dog eat dog world of the NBA. It's not a kids PAL league.
Guys that make it here have to produce right away. There are plenty of talented guys, who also play defense, dreaming for the chance to get some minutes on an NBA squad. Some will take advantage of it and others will freeze. Think Deuce has to take better advantage of opportunity he has been given. Or he will end up like so many with talent who have not.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  10:36 AM
VDesai wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

NBA is a game of runs, best to save our clamp down D and good shooting for the final 8 mins and that's what we did. Lots of turnovers in the first half otherwise we we would have gotten up double digits. The bench unit of Randle-Achiuwa-Hart-Grimes-Deuce was a catastrophic failure - need to insert DDV (or Fournier) into that unit to give Randle a kickout option, otherwise you can clamp on him and force turnovers while 4 guys who are not that confident in their shot stand around and watch.

Agreed.
Yes the second unit obviously did not work. Guess on paper you had two floor spreaders in Grimes and Deuce. Defense from Hart and Deuce and some big man help in Precious. In reality you had two scared offensive players, invisible big which created a double team magnet for Randle. Not his best look.

Prefer Sims in Instead of Precious. Flynn instead of Deuce and , you guessed it, Devo more minutes with second unit.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

1/4/2024  10:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  10:34 AM
blkexec wrote:As the President of the Deuce hive, thibs is using deuce in the wrong way. He’s a specially player like OG who specializes in defense. The difference is he’s not a reliable scorer like OG yet, but add in Murray and Deuce slides into his normal role.

Deuce is fine. He's a complementary player though. He's never going to be an engine PG. He's more of passive Derrick Fisher type PG. The 2nd unit isn't getting good shots. They are playing at a snails pace and playing through Randle in the post. I'm not going to blame Julius. He almost never does this with the starters anymore. Maybe, Deuce could get into the set a little faster and that would help things but mainly but I think they would be better off tossing the script. These guys can't create from stand still and that what they are going to get if everyone on the floor knows a Julius post up from 18 is coming. I also don't get way it is so much post up with the 2nd unit. Julius runs a lot more PnR with the first unit. Do that more with the 2nd. If they stagger someone else it will force them to push pace. I wouldn't mind seeing what happens with OG taking Barrett's place as the staggered starter. Thibs could also tell Randle to push. He's very capable. On the other hand he is already playing big mins and I'm sure that is not the Thibs preferred solution. Of course more half court fire power would help but I think they should also be looking for internal solutions and I think they can do better

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  10:32 AM
VDesai wrote:I think Deuce needs time to develop the confidence in his offensive game, but to me he shows signs. He has a bulldog mentality so he just needs to bring it to the other side of the ball.

The disappointment here is Grimes, who has had plenty of floor time and has the talent. He has a good shot, a good first step and a decent handle. He was a scorer in college so where is it right now? He needs to be more than Reggie Bullock.

But I will continue to ask - if you are gonna have Anunoby OR McBride out there - why can't you put Fournier on the floor? The issue is defense, but when you have that kind of defender next to him, I think you can hide him on a lesser wing and it gives you someone who is a legit double digit NBA scorer on the floor.

When we drafted Grimes, I pegged him as the kid with "nervous mechanics". Rushes everything IMHO.
He proved me wrong the first year but you can tell how his mechanics and game falters if pressed or is missing shots. Someone needs to work with him on his clock.

VDesai
USA
1/4/2024  10:42 AM
EwingPSD, I think your point is correct, we have a starting line up that plays a very slow pace/ISO and a bench unit that is gonna even be worlds slower. Last year we played guys like IQ/Hart/Hartenstein/Toppin that wanted to run up and down the floor or throw long outlets and it was a game changing unit. Our starting unit is world's stronger with OG, but the bench is a totally different animal now. If we come in playing slower that's not gonna help us out of a hole. Guys like Deuce and Grimes need to bring the same aggressiveness to the other side of the ball.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2024  10:45 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Then you done.

Murray ain't coming here to come off the bench 1) he's better than every guard we got not named Jalen and 2) he probably like it as much as Julius or Jalen would like going to the bench.

Now - would he play with the bench guys (YES) but I say he'd start almost certainly. Of course I'm usually wrong 95% of the time.

Maybe wrong about Demar not being someone who would make us better.. Despite his minus yesterday. Which I feel is not a fair gripe. See him as this years Jimmy Buckets for the playoff team that trades for him.

Agree about Murray. He is not coming here to be a backup. As much as I want Devo to play 40 minutes a night, Murray at the 2 and Devo off the bench may be what we need.

For me, it's not a question of coming here to be a backup. Murray needs to be asked if he wants to be part of a championship level team or not. That's it.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/4/2024  10:56 AM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Then you done.

For me, it's not a question of coming here to be a backup. Murray needs to be asked if he wants to be part of a championship level team or not. That's it.

Do you think the reason he's not fitting in with Atlanta is because he doesn't want to win? I don't know nearly enough about Murray to delve into his psyche, so I can't answer that. I will say that a lot of guys on that level believe that the more they play, the more their team will win. I'm guessing that convincing Murray that the team will be more successful with Grimes and DDV starting over him would be a tough sell.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

1/4/2024  10:58 AM
DJM doesn't have to come off the bench nor should he. He can start and then stagger him so he plays with the 2nd unit in the 2nd quarter.

I think either get DJM or try to bring Rokas over this summer.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

1/4/2024  11:18 AM
DDV is having a career year, IDK if he's just gotten better, or if it's the NOVA effect but he has really played well and even more so as a starter.

Donte DiVincenzo has averaged 13.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 16 games as a starter this season shooting 54/48/80 from the field in just 23.5mpg.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2024  11:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  11:34 AM
nycericanguy wrote:DDV is having a career year, IDK if he's just gotten better, or if it's the NOVA effect but he has really played well and even more so as a starter.

Donte DiVincenzo has averaged 13.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 16 games as a starter this season shooting 54/48/80 from the field in just 23.5mpg.

You've got it all wrong. Thibs is an offense only coach, much better at putting players in position to score than a place like GS. Plus, as you can see, GS doesn't develop young players like NY does.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/4/2024  11:34 AM
nycericanguy wrote:DDV is having a career year, IDK if he's just gotten better, or if it's the NOVA effect but he has really played well and even more so as a starter.

His feel for the game is really strong too. Just a high IQ guy, knows when to cut, when to space, knows angles, savvy passer, savvy on the break, good finisher. Perfect guy to have around ball stoppers like Brunson and Randle, beyond his floor spacing prowess.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/4/2024  11:35 AM
martin wrote:

You've got it all wrong. Thibs is an offense only coach, much better at putting players in position to score than a place like GS. Plus, as you can see, GS doesn't develop young players like NY does.

Lots of guys have come here and played career best basketball. More have done that, than guys who have left and flourished because of being held back by Thibs or whatever. I know you are being facetious so I am in agreement with you.

[Game Thread 1/3/24 @830PM] Knicks vs Bulls on ABC, MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy