[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/5/2024  10:55 AM
nycericanguy wrote:ATL isn't going to want FOUR 1sts in this weakish draft.

I think the deal should be

Evan, Grimes, '25 MIL 1st, DET 1st (likely to convey in '27) and two seconds or the WSH 1st.

You can also make the '25 1st the better of ours or MIL to make it more appealing.

You are right. But they are prob headed for a soft rebuild and would use the draft pics as trade collateral to upgrade Cappella or another trade.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/5/2024  10:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  10:58 AM
This makes it harder to incentivize Atlanta to do a trade

The Atlanta Hawks signed Dejounte Murray to a four-year, $120 million extension in July. Included in the extension is a 15% trade bonus, worth $13 million at the moment. The Hawks would be responsible for paying the bonus (spread evenly over four seasons, including 2023-24) if they traded Murray. The trade bonus can be negotiated to a lower number. Murray is trade eligible starting on Jan. 9. – via Bobby Marks @ ESPN
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/5/2024  11:00 AM
Rookie wrote:This makes it harder to incentivize Atlanta to do a trade

The Atlanta Hawks signed Dejounte Murray to a four-year, $120 million extension in July. Included in the extension is a 15% trade bonus, worth $13 million at the moment. The Hawks would be responsible for paying the bonus (spread evenly over four seasons, including 2023-24) if they traded Murray. The trade bonus can be negotiated to a lower number. Murray is trade eligible starting on Jan. 9. – via Bobby Marks @ ESPN

This just means Murray has even more leverage in picking where he wants to.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Rookie

1/5/2024  11:03 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:

So you are saying he is willing to walk away from 13M to play for the team of his choice? Is he really unhappy in Atlanta. I haven t seen where he is asking for a trade

martin
USA
1/5/2024  11:13 AM
Rookie wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

So you are saying he is willing to walk away from 13M to play for the team of his choice? Is he really unhappy in Atlanta. I haven t seen where he is asking for a trade

You won't, just his agent.

You aren't looking at the $13M correctly. He'll get some if not a majority of that money, somehow. It's the fact that he can use it as leverage to get to where he wants to if the circumstance presents itself. That's the important part

BigDaddyG

1/5/2024  11:14 AM
Rookie wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I haven't heard Murray say it, but I think Rich Paul kind of insinuated it when he said the Knicks where not on the list.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/5/2024  11:25 AM
Should we be shocked if Trae is traded instead?
ATL season and a half into this is admitting it made a mistake?
CBS sports, famous for its letter grades gave it an "A" at the time.
Timeline, Murry is an arrogant kid. Nothing wrong with that. He had issues with Parker and spurs. This is a kid who made it as an allstar then had an ACL, but team extended him showing faith.
Im not clear on all the issues. He blasted off on SAS when he left. He is known for being a bit immature and running his mouth on and off the court. Recall reading he was playing a summer league game and made an ass of himself running his mouth.
Why is ATL (if true) moving on? This is a trade that Travis Schenk did not want to make and basically the reason why he left. Landry Fields was given the power to make the deal and was promoted. His signature deal is not working. BTW, I like Landry Fields a lot and wish him well!!!!
ATL bought in Quinn Snyder at great coast after Trae burned thru two of his previous coaches. Snyder had a good run in Utah and they were rebuilding. Danny im sure wanted his guy there as well. Makes sense. But not a half season in and they want to now move on from Murray?
We fans really not looking at the character of this kid and at the very least question it?

Cappella will be 31 in the first year of a two year extension. 20mil this year, 22 next. Okongwu is their future. Not Clint.
ATL basically had a window and its closing fast. On paper they were good. But it went know where. I'm not sure what Schenk vs. Landry issue was with ownership or who was playing the blame game if there was one. Was there a thought they could contend with what they had and Schenk not agree? The move to give the keys to Snyder as they did empowered him to mold the team as he wants. If Murry is made gone, that can't be a good indictment on him. Or is it skill set not mesh with Trae? Again, Schenk was not on board with that. You bring in Snyder and he agrees, you have to move him. Is it a locker room issue? Again, if so that's two teams now he has had this.

I don't have the answers and I see the appeal for adding his talent. But.....if Grimes is not too far off the progress chart is this were we give up?
Trading picks for fans are easy. Question is do we really have this team contending with DJM?

Right now we spend 15mm on Mitch (it actually declines) and 8mm on iHart. Capella is 20 then 22mm. Im assuming one is traded. iHart could have serious value for a team and I assume he will make 16-22mil to resign. Mitch is kind of damaged goods for a trade but his contract is compelling. Capella can fit for the remainder of this year and next while Mitch plays back into shape. With iHart's surge of play I kind of like his passing game over mitch but admittingly its more recent so we all on board. Its HIS contract year and that fine wife of him wants that bag too!!!!! MOney matters folks. For the iHart's and for knicks. ATL can afford to carry a broken Mitch the rest of this season and his contract should be tradable unless he is truly broken. If so and not tradable, we got a problem.

Nalod got more questions than answers. Certainly I don't know what Landry is thinking other than he phuched up and needs to fix it.
I trust Rosas, Leon, and Thibs got this.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/5/2024  11:30 AM
Chandler wrote:i like the trade proposals

Frankly if i were Atlanta i'd be looking to trade Trae. Find some loser franchise willing to pay big for him.

One thing to keep in mind. JB is a bit of a liability on D so having a really good defensive 2 is important. Grimes could have been that guy except for his hangup/unwillingness to shoot.

right now we're seeing how important that dynamic is because Devo is doing it, but could Devo deliver a season's worth of this performance???? Hopefully but who knows. DJM can and has. My only question with him is i know nothing about him as a person, e.g., is he a good lockerroom guy etc. Our chemistry is one of our biggest strengths.

I think Trae is overrated as well. Murray is the better PG.

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
1/5/2024  11:39 AM
Nalod wrote:Should we be shocked if Trae is traded instead?

If my understanding is correct, Trae is the cash cow for Atlanta ownership. He would only be moved for his equal, both in terms of basketball and revenue for team.

Murray was traded for because Trae wanted it. It hasn't worked. Soft rebuild - especially around Trae, Jalen Johnson, Onyeka Okongwu (those are the core guys) - is a next option amongst other routes.

Rookie

1/5/2024  11:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  11:48 AM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You aren't looking at the $13M correctly. He'll get some if not a majority of that money, somehow. It's the fact that he can use it as leverage to get to where he wants to if the circumstance presents itself. That's the important part

a few points. Murray's salary jumps to 25.5M next season and escalates every year. He has been unable to coexist on a team with Trae Young that was trying to build around the pairing. Trade rumors are only speculation due to Atlantas poor start to the season and playoff hopes being crushed

The eye test. When he is on the court with Trae, he stands around on offense and kind of floats around on defense. He looks like he is sulking when sharing the floor with Trae. Trae subs out around 6min mark and Murray takes over ball handling and is very iso heavy. He is not a good shooter or floor spacer. His attitude has been reported as questionable. NY media will shred this move if the team struggles to integrate Murray successfully. Murray seems to be more of a on man defender than a team defender. His switching looks incoherent much like Randles which would be a bad pairing.

I did not watch the playoff footage but checked some regular season games this season. My opinions are based on his effort in regular season games this season. My conclusion is a hard no on Murray. I don't think he fits alongside Brunson and would be be better on a team in a role like SGA where he can dominate the ball surrounded by role platers

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/5/2024  11:50 AM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:Should we be shocked if Trae is traded instead?

If my understanding is correct, Trae is the cash cow for Atlanta ownership. He would only be moved for his equal, both in terms of basketball and revenue for team.

Murray was traded for because Trae wanted it. It hasn't worked. Soft rebuild - especially around Trae, Jalen Johnson, Onyeka Okongwu (those are the core guys) - is a next option amongst other routes.

Think it was great on paper. Has not translated to winning yet. Is Atlanta really looking to move on right? Maybe that narrative comes from sources saying Atlanta is open to trades. Which seems par for the course for most trams. Question is what are claiming they will take in return. Atlanta may only be looking to move on IF they get a package similar to what they have up. Not for what every teams fans are claiming they can get him for.

Think we stay pat with small changes to the bench. Feel OG was the big move.
Most scenarios for us being suggested, including Murray, seem better suited for after the season.
More I think about it, the moves to look for is for expiring contracts that will pad the roster without to much of a shake up. Demar sounding better everyday?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG

1/5/2024  11:56 AM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

a few points. Murray's salary jumps to 25.5M next season and escalates every year. He has been unable to coexist on a team with Trae Young that was trying to build around the pairing. Trade rumors are only speculation due to Atlantas poor start to the season and playoff hopes being crushed

The eye test. When he is on the court with Trae, he stands around on offense and kind of floats around on defense. He looks like he is sulking when sharing the floor with Trae. Trae subs out around 6min mark and Murray takes over ball handling and is very iso heavy. He is not a good shooter or floor spacer. His attitude has been reported as questionable. NY media will shred this move if the team struggles to integrate Murray successfully. Murray seems to be more of a on man defender than a team defender. His switching looks incoherent much like Randles which would be a bad pairing.

I did not watch the playoff footage but checked some regular season games this season. My opinions are based on his effort in regular season games this season. My conclusion is a hard no on Murray. I don't think he fits alongside Brunson and would be be better on a team in a role like SGA where he can dominate the ball surrounded by role platers

Another point: His on man defense has dropped off according to a few commentators and his fit as a point of attack defender is questionable.

technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
1/5/2024  12:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:another good thing about DJM is ATL already has two firsts in this draft, so they'd likely want picks in '25 and '27 since they traded their own those years, where we could offer the MIL 1st and the DET 1st and throw in the 2nd rounder we have this year or another future 2nd. or even the protected WSH pick.

that would allow us to maybe actually draft two players this draft. A guy like Da Silva for instance.

we are going to need cheap young players.

I'd do this trade.

ATL isn't going to want FOUR 1sts in this weakish draft.

I think the deal should be

Evan, Grimes, '25 MIL 1st, DET 1st (likely to convey in '27) and two seconds or the WSH 1st.

You can also make the '25 1st the better of ours or MIL to make it more appealing.

Yeah, that's a good way to get around any Stepien limitations. That Milwaukee pick should be solid as Dame begins hitting the wall. The only obvious competition we have is the Lakers and Heat (maybe the 76ers?). We've got the Heat beat in pick quality, but we don't have anything close to Herro in terms of young talent. If the Atlanta values having a quality rotation player than future picks, than I'd guess you can say Miami is the frontrunner. But if Atlanta is more interested in having a guy with a little upside on a more manageable deal, than Grimes is our guy. Could argue that Grimes is a better fit to Trae too. I will add that I suspect Murray is a good stats, bad team guy and I'd stay away.

For reference, here's the original trade between Hawks/Spurs. I'd assume the Hawks would want to get roughly even back. So 3 first rounders (2 protected) + a useful player. Grimes' clock is ticking for a long term extension, but for now you get a cheap player for a few years, albeit one who has been buried on the bench after blowing his starting opportunity.

Hawks receive:

• Dejounte Murray
• Jock Landale

Spurs receive:

• Danilo Gallinari
• 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte from New York, protected)
• 2025 first-round pick
• 2026 pick swap
• 2027 first-round pick

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
martin
USA
1/5/2024  12:37 PM
martin
USA
1/5/2024  12:42 PM
Can I hate this trade and love it at the same time?

martin wrote:
BigDaddyG

1/5/2024  12:43 PM
martin wrote:

Could even get cute and say they can get choose between our pick or the Dallas pick. .

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/5/2024  1:14 PM
martin wrote:Can I hate this trade and love it at the same time?

martin wrote:

Curious on the hate portion. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If anything, the fit between Trae and Dejaunte would give me some pause that Brunson and Dejaunte would face the same or similar issues. Feel like Murray woud get more opportunity to facilitate the offense as opposed to Trae's ball dominance. But, I also have many questions about Randle's usage, which I would look to reduce.

This is the Randle.
martin
USA
1/5/2024  1:27 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:

martin wrote:

Curious on the hate portion. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If anything, the fit between Trae and Dejaunte would give me some pause that Brunson and Dejaunte would face the same or similar issues. Feel like Murray woud get more opportunity to facilitate the offense as opposed to Trae's ball dominance. But, I also have many questions about Randle's usage, which I would look to reduce.

Losing Grimes.

I’m a Knicks draftee homer

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/5/2024  2:18 PM

martin wrote:

Windhourst on hoop collective guys saying Murray needs the ball to be effective. We taking it away from Brunson or Randle the Allstar?
I get that Murray is a talent upgrade over Grimes and DDV might be best on the 2nd unit. Also that Murry staggared with the bench could be very good.
But DDV can do some of that?
But what problems does he solve if any?
I see a center issue. Mitch breaks and iHart price could keep rising beyond the midlevel. That was he was pegged for but he might have exceeded it.

martin
USA
1/5/2024  2:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  2:25 PM
Nalod wrote:Windhourst on hoop collective guys saying Murray needs the ball to be effective. We taking it away from Brunson or Randle the Allstar?
I get that Murray is a talent upgrade over Grimes and DDV might be best on the 2nd unit. Also that Murry staggared with the bench could be very good.
But DDV can do some of that?
But what problems does he solve if any?
I see a center issue. Mitch breaks and iHart price could keep rising beyond the midlevel. That was he was pegged for but he might have exceeded it.

End of game, pressure ball-handling.

And elite breakdown ability against defenses that can swarm Brunson and play zone elsewhere.

Now, there aren't too many opponents where you will always need that, but definitely the playoff types.

Even Brunson gets trapped at end of games and doesn't know what to do with his pass/dribble when he is double teamed. DJM has the handles to beat that type of thing all day long and provide the second unit with PG ability.

DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy