[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/22/2024  2:14 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:While I would prefer to get Murray, a simpler question is whether DLO is better than Fournier? Could DLo (CAA client) be the bench scoring threat for the Knicks. Fournier's contract has a team option where Russell is guaranteed. But, is it possible the Knicks could facilitate the trade to make it work for all?

Now, not looking to get greedy or anything, but if we could get involved and manage to swipe Jarred Vanderbilt, that would be a coup!

Hawks get
Lakers 2029
Knicks 2024
Fournier
Whatever else LAL can give them.

LAL gets
Murray
Grimes

Knicks get
DLO
Vanderbilt
Rich Paul's allegiance again once Lebron retires.

I don't "Love" Dlo. Don't really want him in the starting lineup. But as a super 6th, I'd swallow that pill. I think of it as exercising Fournier's option next year to preserve salary cap.

McBride
DLO
Hart
Vanderbilt
Precious/Robinson

I think D'Lo has a player option, some that would have to be worked out before any trade goes through.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/22/2024  2:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2024  2:16 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:While I would prefer to get Murray, a simpler question is whether DLO is better than Fournier? Could DLo (CAA client) be the bench scoring threat for the Knicks. Fournier's contract has a team option where Russell is guaranteed. But, is it possible the Knicks could facilitate the trade to make it work for all?

Now, not looking to get greedy or anything, but if we could get involved and manage to swipe Jarred Vanderbilt, that would be a coup!

Hawks get
Lakers 2029
Knicks 2024
Fournier

LAL gets
Murray
Grimes

Knicks get
DLO
Vanderbilt

I don't "Love" Dlo. Don't really want him in the starting lineup. But as a super 6th, I'd swallow that pill. I think of it as exercising Fournier's option next year to preserve salary cap.

McBride
DLO
Hart
Vanderbilt
Precious/Robinson

Dlo - “defense is not what I do”. Yup, sounds like a Thibs guy to me

nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/22/2024  2:16 PM
we had the assets to add KP and DJM to this squad without mortgaging our future.

we let KP go to a rival for peanuts instead, and now Lakers gonna get DJM for one 1st?

BigDaddyG

1/22/2024  2:17 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:we're not getting much for Grimes and a 1st, so if we want a real difference maker we gotta pay up.

But is Murray a real difference maker. I think the Knicks are still looking at 3 or 4 in the East if they get Murray. I mean, that's still possible if they stay pat. The idea of Murray was palatable at a relatively neutral cost. Three picks plus Grimes and Fournier is an overpay for a guy who isn't even an All-Star.

IDC about tags or popularity contests, Brunson and OG have never been all stars either.

DJM can help us in alot of areas, we should get him.

But Brunson is way better offensively than Murray. Why would I want Brunson to go off ball when he's significantly better than Murray. We keep making excuses, but it's clear Murray is a point guard who doesn't fit with another dominant ball handler. There is a lot of risk both ways and three first rounders is too rich for my blood.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nycericanguy

1/22/2024  2:27 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:we're not getting much for Grimes and a 1st, so if we want a real difference maker we gotta pay up.

But is Murray a real difference maker. I think the Knicks are still looking at 3 or 4 in the East if they get Murray. I mean, that's still possible if they stay pat. The idea of Murray was palatable at a relatively neutral cost. Three picks plus Grimes and Fournier is an overpay for a guy who isn't even an All-Star.

IDC about tags or popularity contests, Brunson and OG have never been all stars either.

But Brunson is way better offensively than Murray. Why would I want Brunson to go off ball when he's significantly better than Murray. We keep making excuses, but it's clear Murray is a point guard who doesn't fit with another dominant ball handler. There is a lot of risk both ways and three first rounders is too rich for my blood.

Brunson is a better PLAYER, DJM is a better PG. Brunson is an elite shooter and is carrying a huge load. why is him playing some off ball and spacing the floor and getting some of the load taken off a bad thing?

BigDaddyG

1/22/2024  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/22/2024  2:44 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Brunson is a better PLAYER, DJM is a better PG. Brunson is an elite shooter and is carrying a huge load. why is him playing some off ball and spacing the floor and getting some of the load taken off a bad thing?

Is he tho? Brunson average like 8 assists a game since the trade. Brunson is clearly a better offensive engine. Why would we want him to move off ball?
DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/22/2024  2:48 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Brunson is a point guard man. He controls the game, the pace, runs the offense, and yes he's an elite scorer. He's a point guard in every sense of the word and you would never take the ball out of his hands in favor of Murray.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/22/2024  2:48 PM
Rookie wrote:

Hawks get
Lakers 2029
Knicks 2024
Fournier

LAL gets
Murray
Grimes

Knicks get
DLO
Vanderbilt

McBride
DLO
Hart
Vanderbilt
Precious/Robinson

I mean. What do you think you are able to get for Fournier?

This is the Randle.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/22/2024  2:50 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Is he tho? Brunson average like 8 assists a game since the trade. Brunson is clearly a better offensive engine. Why would we want him to move off ball?
not only that but Randle is also looking like a better #2 facilitator. He's been a legit point forward and looks like a 2nd floor general. He's always looking to move the ball it feels. Look, I WANTED to like RJ more than I actually liked RJ and the reason is it was another year of a guy taking 15 shots a game and having worst EF% #s on the team. Now we are not only seeing other guys taking those shot, but we are seeing Brunson and Randle FINDING guys to take those shots. Its DD/OG jumpers and cutters and man they are just looking great.

It's real ripple effect. OG is making Brunson/Randle better and Brunson/Randle are making EVERYONE better.

To me it simple... Brogdon or bust. I trust the FO make the right deal if Murray is an option. I have no interest in Brown, Clarkson, Rozier or Smart.

Murray is a talent upgrade at the 2 but might not be a better fit. DD is just phucking perfect. Dude really reminds me of Starks

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nycericanguy

1/22/2024  2:54 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

yes because his usage is too high since the trade. He needs help, if Randle doesn't show up for playoffs again he'll have even less help on offense this season. RJ was a big time player for us in the playoffs.

DJM had an assist rate over 40% when he was full time PG in SA and over 9apg in less minutes.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/22/2024  2:54 PM
http://theathletic.com/5217510/2024/01/22/knicks-jalen-brunson-floater-angles-touch/%3famp=1

The Athletic article about Brunson's floater, and film study on DDV and Hart.

Some snips

Brunson has rattled off four consecutive 30-plus point performances. He’s averaging a career-best 26.5 points and has maintained his efficiency numbers in the process. Even if he doesn’t start the All-Star Game, he’s a lock to make it as a reserve

As much as ever, DiVincenzo understands his value.

More of his 3s this season are coming from the corners than ever before; he’s shooting 55 percent on those. Of the 66 players who have taken at least 50 corner 3s this season, his percentage ranks second in the NBA.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/22/2024  2:56 PM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Brunson is a point guard man. He controls the game, the pace, runs the offense, and yes he's an elite scorer. He's a point guard in every sense of the word and you would never take the ball out of his hands in favor of Murray.

I think there's a fallacy that being a great PG means a ton of assists. Assists are an important metric, but a PG is about being the brains of the operation and the nerve center of the team as well, and you cannot overstate how terrific Brunson is at that aspect of the game. He is capable of making mistakes, we all are, but it has been a long time since we've had a player who you can trust so completely in every situation. I would agree Murray doesn't hold a candle to him as a PG despite averaging more assists. You'd still want Brunson as your primary ballhandler.

VDesai
USA
1/22/2024  3:01 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

not only that but Randle is also looking like a better #2 facilitator. He's been a legit point forward and looks like a 2nd floor general. He's always looking to move the ball it feels. Look, I WANTED to like RJ more than I actually liked RJ and the reason is it was another year of a guy taking 15 shots a game and having worst EF% #s on the team. Now we are not only seeing other guys taking those shot, but we are seeing Brunson and Randle FINDING guys to take those shots. Its DD/OG jumpers and cutters and man they are just looking great.

It's real ripple effect. OG is making Brunson/Randle better and Brunson/Randle are making EVERYONE better.

To me it simple... Brogdon or bust. I trust the FO make the right deal if Murray is an option. I have no interest in Brown, Clarkson, Rozier or Smart.

Murray is a talent upgrade at the 2 but might not be a better fit. DD is just phucking perfect. Dude really reminds me of Starks

Totally with you on this. You look at fit and Brogdon has played way more off ball and has better size to match up and play off the ball to Brunson. Yet, he's experienced enough as a PG to play this role while Brunson is on the bench. And he's a guy from a spacing standpoint is going to offer more consistency as a shooter, but still have a strong ability to get his own shot when playing the bench unit.

Murray is shooting the 3 better, but he's more of an on ball scorer that does less for the spacing and at 180 lbs, is not a someone who can match up with bigger wings physically. He is younger and better overall player than Brogdon, but he doesn't fit the need as smoothly as you can slot Brogdon in for.

If you are still collecting assets, than Murray might be an asset on sale right now. I see the point in getting him. But I don't expect it to be a totally easy fit.

Rookie

1/22/2024  3:03 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Rookie wrote:

Hawks get
Lakers 2029
Knicks 2024
Fournier

LAL gets
Murray
Grimes

Knicks get
DLO
Vanderbilt

McBride
DLO
Hart
Vanderbilt
Precious/Robinson

I mean. What do you think you are able to get for Fournier?

A baguette? cap space my man....cap space. Seriously though I think the noise is probably true, Thibs and the FO love Brown. I bet if Toronto liked Grimes or valued our picks it would be done already

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/22/2024  3:03 PM
VDesai wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I think there's a fallacy that being a great PG means a ton of assists. Assists are an important metric, but a PG is about being the brains of the operation and the nerve center of the team as well, and you cannot overstate how terrific Brunson is at that aspect of the game. He is capable of making mistakes, we all are, but it has been a long time since we've had a player who you can trust so completely in every situation. I would agree Murray doesn't hold a candle to him as a PG despite averaging more assists. You'd still want Brunson as your primary ballhandler.

I agree, the addition of Murray shouldn't disrupt the pecking order. Murray's role should be 3&D with the starting unit and floor general with the 2nd unit looking to get DDV, Hart, OG, Hartenstein, Mitch easy looks.

That's what I would want to be the understanding when committing a trade to him. Him being willing to average 15ppg, but helping us reach champion contender status.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Rookie

1/22/2024  3:05 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Barrett had sticky fingers too. You could tell he wasn't going to pass it most times he touched the ball.

nycericanguy

1/22/2024  3:12 PM
this is like arguing you wouldn't want IQ back b/c he'd take the ball out of Brunson's hands...lol.

Brunson is great but you cant ask him to beat teams in the playoffs by himself.

DJM is more about taking the ball out of Deuce's hands for 13mpg, and letting Brunson play off ball for a few more where he can focus on attacking.

VDesai
USA
1/22/2024  3:15 PM
nycericanguy wrote:this is like arguing you wouldn't want IQ back b/c he'd take the ball out of Brunson's hands...lol.

DJM is more about taking the ball out of Deuce's hands for 13mpg, and letting Brunson play off ball for a few more where he can focus on attacking.

The only (major) difference is IQ is who we had, so there was no choice in the role we had to give him. Now that its a choice and we have to give up assets to make an acquisition, a lot more goes into whether its the right fit from a chemistry situation and cost of give up.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/22/2024  3:18 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:I wonder why the Knicks didn't ask for Schroeder back alongside OG instead of Precious/Malachi. They must have really liked Precious as a backup big - and given he has been playing ahead of Sims whom they have been developing for 3 years, that would seem to be the case.

Because the Knicks did need a big. And Malachi sucks compared to Schroeder, so Toronto needs him next to IQ.

And the Knicks wouldn't have been able to swing the $$$ for Schroeder.

Pretty sure the salary matching would have worked if it was Schroeder instead of Achiuwa/Flynn coming back. We ended up with a trade exception in the deal so I though we sent more salary out then what came in. In any event, they obviously wanted Precious in the deal because they see him as more viable than Sims and from a scouting perspective found value in his skillset. Wasn't clear why that was the case the first few games, but certainly saw more promise against Toronto. I feel like he was very soft finishing at the rim in his early games with NY, but he showed out better in this regard. He is also a guy who like to step out occasionally for the 3- he's not shot it at a good rate, but we haven't really seen much of that in his game yet.

I'm sure both teams could have found a way for salary to match up. But the value and type of players don't make sense in totality. Like, why would Toronto want to give up Schroeder in that deal versus Malachi?

And not for nothing, the Knicks needed to find out what they have in Deuce, he was at end of contract.

It's only 11 games but Deuce isn't looking like a PG. He might get by as an undersized SG or a combo guard if he can continue to shoot well from 3. He is strong enough to be effective as a defender. He does not look like a primary ball handler to me and his assist numbers aren't great either. I think his long term outlook is as an emergency bench reserve/practice player but I'm all for him having the rotation spot to lose for now. This should be the summer we bring that Euro stash PG over (I forgot his name). Deuce seems to get in trouble when he tries to do too much. Does playing time fix this, I dunno.

Let's be honest. For 2.5 years, IQ looked utterly lost playing PG. He had some great moments during those awful 2.5 years. And now he is vastly different from a PG perspective.

You need to give consistent minutes and keep with that role over an extended time period to see what you got.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

1/22/2024  3:21 PM
VDesai wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:this is like arguing you wouldn't want IQ back b/c he'd take the ball out of Brunson's hands...lol.

The only (major) difference is IQ is who we had, so there was no choice in the role we had to give him. Now that its a choice and we have to give up assets to make an acquisition, a lot more goes into whether its the right fit from a chemistry situation and cost of give up.

Also, IQ has proven he can play off ball. There's no question that he fit. We're saying Murray disappointed because he was in the wrong situation, but that can be rectified by trading for him and putting him in a similar situation. Yeah, it's possible that he plays better. But chances are pretty high that he faces the issues.
DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy