[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/3/2024  9:25 AM
We could absolutely use this guy right now. Especially with Randle being a huge question mark in the playoffs.

He's a perfect creator/ballhandler and 3rd scorer.

He's a guy that averaged 9apg before Trae, was all defense, led the league in deflections.

And his TS% is really only lower because he doesn't get to the FT line much, but as a shooter he has been fairly efficient. If his 3 ball this year is for real he could be a huge addition.

AUTOADVERT
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/3/2024  9:59 AM
I can't lie, I've really warmed to the idea of getting DeJounte Murray especially now that we have OG. He has enough height (6"5') and wingspan (6"10'), to effectively guard either the 1 or 2 and to help us maintain our defense-first identity.

I also think his time with the Spurs (and DeMarr Derozan) is indicative of how well he could fit in next to a high usage player and still excel as a facilitator. My only concern with him is the assets we'd have to forfeit for him in a trade. The fact he's on a manageable deal for the next 3.5 seasons will give the Hawks the impetus to hold our feet to the fire in any deal. And I still think that we ought to maintain as much draft capital as possible for a potential Joel Embiid trade this off-season.

Not to hijack your thread but would you prefer Dejounte Murray or Mikal Bridges at the opposite guard spot next to Brunson?

nycericanguy

1/3/2024  10:04 AM
NardDogNation wrote:I can't lie, I've really warmed to the idea of getting DeJounte Murray especially now that we have OG. He has enough height (6"5') and wingspan (6"10'), to effectively guard either the 1 or 2 and to help us maintain our defense-first identity.

I also think his time with the Spurs (and DeMarr Derozan) is indicative of how well he could fit in next to a high usage player and still excel as a facilitator. My only concern with him is the assets we'd have to forfeit for him in a trade. The fact he's on a manageable deal for the next 3.5 seasons will give the Hawks the impetus to hold our feet to the fire in any deal. And I still think that we ought to maintain as much draft capital as possible for a potential Joel Embiid trade this off-season.

Not to hijack your thread but would you prefer Dejounte Murray or Mikal Bridges at the opposite guard spot next to Brunson?

Mikal easily but Nets won't trade him to us and he'd cost alot more.

DJM didn't make sense with RJ & IQ here, but he makes a good deal of sense now.

NardDogNation

1/3/2024  10:13 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:I can't lie, I've really warmed to the idea of getting DeJounte Murray especially now that we have OG. He has enough height (6"5') and wingspan (6"10'), to effectively guard either the 1 or 2 and to help us maintain our defense-first identity.

Mikal is on one of the very best value contracts in the league...but he only has two seasons left on it. That alone should concern the Nets. And when you factor in that there is a large enough sample size to show they are a sub.-500 team at their best, I think they'd have real motivation to trade him. And if the Knicks and Raptors could see their way to a deal in the midst of a contentious court case, I think any franchise is capable of making a trade with one another.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/3/2024  10:27 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Mikal is on one of the very best value contracts in the league...but he only has two seasons left on it. That alone should concern the Nets. And when you factor in that there is a large enough sample size to show they are a sub.-500 team at their best, I think they'd have real motivation to trade him. And if the Knicks and Raptors could see their way to a deal in the midst of a contentious court case, I think any franchise is capable of making a trade with one another.

I'm sure it's a concern, but I'm confident they just sign him and keep it moving. Deals will look crazy for the time being, but the cap will eventually smooth out and it won't be as bad. I'm also not high on Murray. His deflections and steals mask the fact that he's not a disciplined defender and his advanced metrics have been meh since he's been to Atlanta. Is that because he's guarding two-guards now? Well that's what he's guarding if he comes here...I've stated this in other threads and I won't beat a dead horse, but there's a reason why Atlanta is regretting the Trae Murray pairing. Why should I believe things would change here?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nycericanguy

1/3/2024  10:29 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

I'm sure it's a concern, but I'm confident they just sign him and keep it moving. Deals will look crazy for the time being, but the cap will eventually smooth out and it won't be as bad. I'm also not high on Murray. His deflections and steals mask the fact that he's not a disciplined defender and his advanced metrics have been meh since he's been to Atlanta. Is that because he's guarding two-guards now? Well that's what he's guarding if he comes here...I've stated this in other threads and I won't beat a dead horse, but there's a reason why Atlanta is regretting the Trae Murray pairing. Why should I believe things would change here?

I think Thibs could put DJM in a position to succeed. We have the pieces around him defensively. He has the tools and has shown he can be a very good defender.

But more than anything we could use his offense, creation and ballhanding and yes his contract.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/3/2024  10:49 AM
I like Murray. I just don’t see why Atlanta trades him to us. Knicks aren’t trading the farm for him and there’s other teams that would be interested if he was ever made available.
DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/3/2024  11:18 AM
Knixkik wrote:I like Murray. I just don’t see why Atlanta trades him to us. Knicks aren’t trading the farm for him and there’s other teams that would be interested if he was ever made available.

Knicks are probably a short list of teams willing to give them cap relief, a young player, and multiple picks.

NardDogNation

1/3/2024  11:21 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Mikal doesn't seem like the type of dude to sign an extension to remain part of a losing situation. After all, he took a below market deal with the Suns to give them the opportunity to keep their team intact and contend. That proved to be a mistake as it was for the Morris twins but he's very much a good soldier type if the team is winning. I doubt he'd be willing to take as steep a cut as he did the first time around but I suspect he'd be amenable to biding his time until he can re-unite himself with the rest of the Villanova crew. Even as the alpha-dog on the Nets, he seems to be pretty content deferring to Cam Thomas offensively...which isn't exactly a winning formula lol.

I very much agree with your point about Murray defensively but I think it's context-dependent. As much as I'm a Quin Synder-advocate, there isn't much of a track record for him being able to coach a competent defense beyond lineups featuring Rudy Gobert. I believe Thibs and co are a cut-above in that regard and can help scheme well enough to cover for his worst impulsives; particularly when Mitchell Robinson is back healthy. Remember that Thibs built very good defenses with Nate Robinson off the scrap-heap, so Murray should be fine.

I also recognize your point about Murray at the 2-defensively but how often is Jalen Brunson even defending the point-of-attack anyway? Against MIN, it seemed like he was off of the guard positions entirely for huge stretches due to his liability on that end. I'd assume that the trend would continue after adding Murray, who would just give us more flexibility in hiding Brunson.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/3/2024  11:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/3/2024  11:22 AM
I'm fine with either DJ or Brogdon. Both fit as a 3rd option scorer. DJ would start and also be the backup PG in a staggered lineup I think. Brogdon would come off the bench in a Quickley role. Both would give us a still-dangerous rotation to compete when Brunson is out. Right now we are toast if Brunson sits. Assuming Grimes goes out in the trade, the rotation settles nicely with the additional of either guy.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/3/2024  2:42 PM
Remember when McHale gifted some players to Ainge and the Celtics?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/3/2024  4:05 PM
martin wrote:Remember when McHale gifted some players to Ainge and the Celtics?

Are you referring to the time Jerry West gifted players to the Lakers?

This is the Randle.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/3/2024  4:30 PM
I feel like its gonna take 5 firsts to get Mitchell. I would much rather trade 3 for Dejounte. I think he "plays the right way" and I think he'd fit right in with the rest of the guys on this roster that play similarly

The Knicks are gonna have to resign OG. They have to push their chips in now IMO....

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
EwingsGlass
USA
1/4/2024  9:27 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I feel like its gonna take 5 firsts to get Mitchell. I would much rather trade 3 for Dejounte. I think he "plays the right way" and I think he'd fit right in with the rest of the guys on this roster that play similarly

The Knicks are gonna have to resign OG. They have to push their chips in now IMO....

I’ve been watching Murray clips and checking his shot charts. He’s a really good fit next to Brunson from the sense of the portion of the court they each use. Almost exact mirror images from the left (Brunson) and right (Murray).

Now, I love Grimes and see him developing, but also see him as the kind of player Landry Fields would covet. So, I think including Grimes and Bey makes sense also. I’d include Sims mostly because I don’t think he is going to get much PT at this point and Achiuwa is the better “project”.

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Technical 5 “1st Rd” picks to let Fields save a little face, but when it comes down to it, it will be 4 2nds and 3 late 1sts.

Brunson/DDV/McBride/Flynn
Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Pretty much spreads the floor as much as you can in a 4-1 offense with Randle and OG in their favored corners, Brunson and Murray at the top left and right and your center working the paint.

With it unlikely to see Mitchell anytime soon, Murray is the next best, if not better option for this team.

I’m all in here and would even consider adding more assets (Rokas, for example) to get this done.

This is the Randle.
nycericanguy

1/4/2024  9:48 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I feel like its gonna take 5 firsts to get Mitchell. I would much rather trade 3 for Dejounte. I think he "plays the right way" and I think he'd fit right in with the rest of the guys on this roster that play similarly

I’ve been watching Murray clips and checking his shot charts. He’s a really good fit next to Brunson from the sense of the portion of the court they each use. Almost exact mirror images from the left (Brunson) and right (Murray).

Now, I love Grimes and see him developing, but also see him as the kind of player Landry Fields would covet. So, I think including Grimes and Bey makes sense also. I’d include Sims mostly because I don’t think he is going to get much PT at this point and Achiuwa is the better “project”.

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Technical 5 “1st Rd” picks to let Fields save a little face, but when it comes down to it, it will be 4 2nds and 3 late 1sts.

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Pretty much spreads the floor as much as you can in a 4-1 offense with Randle and OG in their favored corners, Brunson and Murray at the top left and right and your center working the paint.

With it unlikely to see Mitchell anytime soon, Murray is the next best, if not better option for this team.

I’m all in here and would even consider adding more assets (Rokas, for example) to get this done.

way too much and there aren't any minutes here for Bey.

DJ is a 30+mpg guy by himself.

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2024  9:59 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

Gonna be at least 3 would be my guess. Which ones, who knows.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

1/4/2024  10:00 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

Yeah, Murray only went for Danilo and three first when he first got trade. And you could argue his value was higher with the Spurs.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EwingsGlass
USA
1/4/2024  10:02 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

I think Bey will find minutes. Basically grabs Grimes minutes but with better positional size. Same concept as the OG trade.

I also think the value of those picks is illusory. I don’t see any of those picks conveying better than 20.

I’d pull that trigger but if they can get it for less, all the better.

This is the Randle.
EwingsGlass
USA
1/4/2024  10:42 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

Yeah, Murray only went for Danilo and three first when he first got trade. And you could argue his value was higher with the Spurs.

1) At the time of the Spurs trade, Murray had 2 years left on his contract. He signed a reasonable 4 year extension. That has added value.

2) Hawks gave up 25 pick, 26 swap and 27 pick, and the Knicks 23 pick. That’s 3+ picks with limited to know protections. The protections on the picks I offer up are limiting their value. I’d rather give up those picks than do our 25,26 swap and 27, apples to apples.

3) I think the Spurs traded Murray at or below actual value as a courtesy. Not sure Hawks would do the same.

I could be wrong, but I’d rather lock up Murray than wonder whether any of these picks were overpayment. Knicks would basically have their rotation locked up for years.

This is the Randle.
BigDaddyG

1/4/2024  10:45 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

Fournier
Grimes
Sims
2024 Knicks
2024 Dallas
2024 Wash (Protected)
2024 Detroit (Protected)
2025 Bucks (Protected)

For

Murray
Bey

Murray/Hart
Anunoby/Bey
Randle/Achiuwa
Robinson/Hart

Grimes + 2 1sts is fair.

I think Bey will find minutes. Basically grabs Grimes minutes but with better positional size. Same concept as the OG trade.

I also think the value of those picks is illusory. I don’t see any of those picks conveying better than 20.

I’d pull that trigger but if they can get it for less, all the better.

Bey is RJ with less athleticism and a slightly better three point shot. I'll pass.
DeJounte Murray vs MIA in playoffs - 23/7/7 with 2 steals per game and only 2 TO's in 38mpg on 45/38/100 shooting.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy