[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Argument For Demar Derozan
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/4/2024  1:40 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
VDesai wrote:But its not like DeMar has a lot of years on his deal so is it relevant?

why stunt Grimes's growth further for a short term "solution" that doesn't put us over the top anyway?

It definitely puts us in the conversation with Philly, Boston and Milwaukee.

AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/4/2024  1:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  1:47 PM
Rookie wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
VDesai wrote:But its not like DeMar has a lot of years on his deal so is it relevant?

why stunt Grimes's growth further for a short term "solution" that doesn't put us over the top anyway?

strongly disagree.

I don't even think Mitchell would put us at that level.

Those teams are elite because they have true superstars, Tatum, Embiid and Giannis are better than anything we have.

Our stars are more at the level of their #2 guys like Lillard, Brown and Maxey.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/4/2024  1:48 PM

Like I said, I'd consider a short-term deal. But you have to keep in mind he's at point wherein his career where that his productivity can wane any minute. That is a risk that GMs factor in all the time, so I'd say it is relevant.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/4/2024  2:20 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Rookie wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

strongly disagree.

Those teams are elite because they have true superstars, Tatum, Embiid and Giannis are better than anything we have.

this is strange logic unless you think the plan is to wait for some superstar to say he wants to play for the Knicks. Like why even have this discussion?

(5)(5)
Rookie

1/4/2024  2:30 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Rookie wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

strongly disagree.

Randle is playing at that level right now and I don't think it is an aberration. Fix the bench and our future is bright.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2024  2:45 PM
Chandler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Chandler wrote:DD also brings some swagger — not to be underestimated in the playoffs. He can put a lot of pressure on Defenses and get to the line

IMO he could be the missing piece for a serious run but it will come down to price. He’s a little like Jimmy Butler in that his game hasn’t been heavily impacted with age

Regardless we need a clutch shooter (or at least scorer) to do some damage in playoffs.

he's been pretty bad in the playoffs in his career. 41/21 shooting.

he's a mid range, high usage, volume scorer who doesn't defend, shoot 3's or handle the ball. And he's old, not a long term piece and expensive. Really the opposite of what we need.

we just got rid of RJ, people are saying our team fits so much better now, so now we want to add an even more high usage, even more mid range version of RJ?

We've seen DD punish people. Put stats aside for a moment. DD with the ball in his hand late in a key game do you worry or not? I do. I think he's getting a good shot or FTs and he hits those. RJ, I'm holding my breath

DD has a long career behind him and is still relevant. I give him that.
RJ might still have that in front of him.
DD has a proven body of work so one can argue that is tangible. RJ is conceptual.
DD at age 34 will decline. When? That is one thing we can't know.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/4/2024  2:48 PM
With adding Demarr. I see 4 players standing around on offense while Brunson, Demarr, Randle each take turns Isoing for mid range jumpers. Thibs is not an offensive mind capable of preventing that. Which hasn't shown to be a winning formula for deep playoff runs.

I foresee OG not loving doing majority of the heavy lifting defensively on the perimeter & wing only to get 8 shot attempts. We have $118mil committed to Donte Hart over the next 4 years while looking to reduce their roles.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/4/2024  2:56 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:With adding Demarr. I see 4 players standing around on offense while Brunson, Demarr, Randle each take turns Isoing for mid range jumpers. Thibs is not an offensive mind capable of preventing that. Which hasn't shown to be a winning formula for deep playoff runs.

I foresee OG not loving doing majority of the heavy lifting defensively on the perimeter & wing only to get 8 shot attempts. We have $118mil committed to Donte Hart over the next 4 years while looking to reduce their roles.

I should add that Demar would have to be a sixth man if he were to come here. His defense is trash and his outside shot isn't dependable enough to play with JB. I won't rule him out. Like everything, it comes down to contract.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
MS
Member: #724
1/4/2024  2:59 PM
The case is the second unit is very weak with playmaking. Thibs will destroy these guys if we don’t get help.

It’s great that we are 2-0

However

IHart, 38 & 39
Brunson 39 & 41
Randle 39 & 36
OG 35 & 34 (was in foul trouble)

That’s a lot of continue minutes. He’s obviously adjusting rotations and it’s early, but even up 14-16 with two minutes left his guys are still in. He does that way too much. If Brunson and Randle don’t have great games it’s a lot out there for us to win.

Brogden is a good player but he’s too fragile. Can’t trade guys for a guy that could get injured, we have OG and Mitch already. DeMar is a killer and can’t be guarded one on one. Would allow more roster staggering and could play DD, DDV, mcbridge, OG together.

Clarkson at least has a salary that is manageable and locked in after this year. Low percentage guy but can give you some punch and has some fight in him.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2024  3:41 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/seasonleaders/_/league/nba/sort/avgMinutes/order/false
Hit the minutes tab and it will rank Minutes per game in order.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/5/2024  9:40 AM
I was impressed with DeRozan's three point shooting. Seemed comfortable and didn't hesitate at all.

Depends on the price but I wouldn't hate it.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

1/5/2024  9:45 AM
nycericanguy wrote:

We are close to a finished product. Grimes growth isn't as important as it was 2 years ago. Winning is more important now. Grimes needs to speed up, we don't need to slow down for him.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/5/2024  9:54 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

We are close to a finished product. Grimes growth isn't as important as it was 2 years ago. Winning is more important now. Grimes needs to speed up, we don't need to slow down for him.

I'm very close to giving up on Grimes tbh. He's giving me Ntilikina vibes. 6 FT attempts the entire season is embarrassing.

Rookie

1/5/2024  11:05 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

I'm very close to giving up on Grimes tbh. He's giving me Ntilikina vibes. 6 FT attempts the entire season is embarrassing.

I'm here also. It's getting harder to defend keeping him. He needs to nut up

nycericanguy

1/5/2024  11:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  11:14 AM
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

No issues moving on from him, but not for DD. Grimes is our last young trade chip so you better get someone good if you're moving him.

Grimes, OG and Mitch together could be a force defensively. Grimes is still shooting 38% on 3's on high volume. I think he can get back to 10-11ppg if you give him 28-30mpg now.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/5/2024  11:16 AM
For me, DeMar is just a different version of Randle, just much older. Pass.

If he came for relatively nothing and there was no other trade out there, sure.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/5/2024  12:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  12:05 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

No issues moving on from him, but not for DD. Grimes is our last young trade chip so you better get someone good if you're moving him.

Grimes, OG and Mitch together could be a force defensively. Grimes is still shooting 38% on 3's on high volume. I think he can get back to 10-11ppg if you give him 28-30mpg now.

Has Grimes gotten a reasonable chance?
Saying he will be a force defensively ignores why he is not in the SL lineup.
Which is that he does very little on offense and does not offer much more on that end than DD and JHart. Who are taking his minutes.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nycericanguy

1/5/2024  12:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  12:13 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Which is that he does very little on offense and does not offer much more on that end than DD and JHart. Who are taking his minutes.

Grimes was instrumental in anchoring our defense last season, while averaging 11.3ppg and shooting 39% from 3 on high volume. for a low usage guy that's not too bad, not too much worse than OG.

He's only played 148 career games, he's not untouchable but ups and downs at his age are reasonable. I think grimes is just a rhythm player on offense.

DDV doesn't have the size, and Hart doesn't have the shooting.

just saying he could end up being a key piece for us, keep in mind OG tends to miss alot of games too. Grimes is the only other wing we have with that kind of size.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/5/2024  12:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2024  12:49 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Grimes was instrumental in anchoring our defense last season, while averaging 11.3ppg and shooting 39% from 3 on high volume. for a low usage guy that's not too bad, not too much worse than OG.

He's only played 148 career games, he's not untouchable but ups and downs at his age are reasonable. I think grimes is just a rhythm player on offense.

DDV doesn't have the size, and Hart doesn't have the shooting.

just saying he could end up being a key piece for us, keep in mind OG tends to miss alot of games too. Grimes is the only other wing we have with that kind of size.

Last years performance is why he was still in the SL at the begining of the year. His performance so far this year is why he is not in SL. I wanted to see a big year for him as well. But waiting for him to be aggressive, slow his mechanics and not play scared is wearing thin. Right now, the side of "he will be average" is outweighing "he will be a force". Feel last years performance was also magnified by how bad defensively other players were. DD and JHart are showing we can fill that need and still have effective players on the offensive end. Feel JHart has less talent offensively than Grimes but still offers more. Feel DD has more talent offensively and can still play more than adequate defense. Seems like he has 2 steals a game.

Not saying we give up, but using the excuse that he can affect winning more than DD or JHart is just not the case. He was. Minus 20 in the last game.
However, still think we will just add a couple of bench pieces by deadline so he will have a chance to prove some right. If not, feel he will definitely be used in a trade for a big name this summer.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
The Argument For Demar Derozan

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy