[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Argument For Demar Derozan
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/2/2024  11:39 PM
I would have been happy with Derozan at SF, but now that we have OG, as well as JHart, I'd prefer to see the FO look to another position for a trade. Maybe involving Grimes. He got his stock back up a bit by going to the bench. Not the hot mess he was as a starter.

A guard who can alternate at PG and SG depending on the situation, like IQ did, would be ideal IMO.
Would get back the production and versatility we lost when IQ was traded.

I like the starting lineup. We've seen too many players complaining about their role. We arent going to have to deal with that from DDV. He understands his role, and he knows Brunson's game better than most. If the production werent there, I'd hope for an upgrade, but it is. JB seems happy with DDV as his wingman, thats important as well. Chemistry is important.

AUTOADVERT
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

1/3/2024  3:44 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:no thanks not even for free, rather see what Grimes can grow into.

I'm sure CHI would gladly take a 1st for him but I don't see it happening, I think they'll end up moving him for a pair of second rounders.

Even for free...man o man ... Come on man. Put your fandom for Grimes down and think 🤔 when the playoffs come and teams have to play half court ball DeRozan could make the difference. Not saying, get him but got to consider the potential deals first

This. Proven players not fan dreams.

Man I get it, I have been blinded by fan optimism. But what is Grimes right now Trent Tucker ? What's his potential to be at best, not Demar DeRozan even at his age. It all depends on the price. I want the team to make a trade let's explore the options. Our starting five, with DDV is fine if we get Brogdon or DeRozan. If we get Murray that's a great starting 5 with either DDV or Grimes off the bench. Then we just need a center for the bench. We have to give it a shot in the playoffs we can make a run like the Heat did last year. Never give up on a season

I agree. I think Brogdon is a better fit than DeRozan.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/3/2024  8:39 AM
Anyone figure out why Bulls do this? For EF? For “Filler”? Trades have two sides.

We see a fix and think “Plug and play”. Easy.
Grimes is on the way up, Derozen at his age is where in the next two years?
I like him as a player and the timeline is reasonable but what does he want and at what cost?
One can make an argument and on the surface its not a bad idea, but “filler” matters. Picks Matter.
Where does he want to play and at what role matters.

THere is a future of monetary costs, opportunity costs, and the end product.

Brunson will want a raise.
Jules may want one.
There is always a “Star” to “Phuch”.

Its not about Grimes now, its where he could /Should be. Taking risks is also about using your own players and some faith. Just because it has yet to happen does not mean it won’t.

Derozen? Do the bulls want him back? ANyone talk with them or consider their position even when playing pretend?
What about him? If he coming off the bench and for less money, where is his head at with that, and does that open up opportunities for another team? Is he married? Kids? Home in Los Angeles? Shit like that. What about his ego? He ready to be role player? Money, does he have enough to prolong a career or he into maximizing his earnings. None of this makes him good or bad, but its all part of it.

gradyandrew
Member: #8959

1/3/2024  9:27 AM
Nalod wrote:Anyone figure out why Bulls do this? For EF? For “Filler”? Trades have two sides.

I like him as a player and the timeline is reasonable but what does he want and at what cost?
One can make an argument and on the surface its not a bad idea, but “filler” matters. Picks Matter.

Jules may want one.

Its not about Grimes now, its where he could /Should be. Taking risks is also about using your own players and some faith. Just because it has yet to happen does not mean it won’t.

Derozen? Do the bulls want him back? ANyone talk with them or consider their position even when playing pretend?
What about him? If he coming off the bench and for less money, where is his head at with that, and does that open up opportunities for another team? Is he married? Kids? Home in Los Angeles? Shit like that. What about his ego? He ready to be role player? Money, does he have enough to prolong a career or he into maximizing his earnings. None of this makes him good or bad, but its all part of it.

All really, really good points and they lead back to your Sixth Sense thread title; the TO has been really good with finding players who want to be here. Brunson JH DDV and now OG seem excited to be here and part of the core. I also thought Precious played really hard during his minutes. New York has become a destination for the first time in almost 30 years going back to the Allan Houston/ LJ summer.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/3/2024  11:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/3/2024  11:15 AM
Nalod wrote:Anyone figure out why Bulls do this? For EF? For “Filler”? Trades have two sides.

Jules may want one.

Bulls don't have a lot of leverage. Derozan is expiring and has signaled he has two preferred destinations if you believe media reports. NY and Miami. Chicago will know who they are by the trade deadline and move him and gain an asset or lose him for nothing. While Chicago will want a young player, preferably Grimes, I think the Knicks say no and see Grimes as a core piece. It will take a lot more than Derozan to pry Grimes from the Knicks.

Let me ask you Nalod, who are we bidding against? We have the expiring contracts and the pick combinations. They might like a player like Sims

Lastly, that he picked two teams who aren't considered favorites (NY and Miami) signal that he thinks he can be the missing piece and that he doesn't want to ride the banana boat with super friends. That tells me he is willing to do whatever it takes and that the team needs to win.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/3/2024  9:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/3/2024  9:26 PM
NYCerican you watching the Knicks vs Bulls on 1/3/24 ? How could you say you wouldn't take Derozan for free so you could see what Grimes becomes, smh. Whatever it is you smoke, please switch to something less potent. Smh, what a bad take. Said with love, my bro. ❤️ O
franco12
Member: #599
USA
1/3/2024  11:18 PM
This was a good game as an argument for Demar. I don’t understand why the Bulls would trade him- they’re not bad- 10 and 6 with Zach out. And I don’t know how you match salaries without trading jB & Randle which obviously we’re not doing.
Alpha1971
Member: #9006

1/4/2024  5:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  5:56 AM
franco12 wrote:This was a good game as an argument for Demar. I don’t understand why the Bulls would trade him- they’re not bad- 10 and 6 with Zach out. And I don’t know how you match salaries without trading jB & Randle which obviously we’re not doing.

Three team trades if needed. Chicago ain't going anywhere and he is a free agent next year. Why not just start the rebuild If your Chicago

nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

1/4/2024  7:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  7:18 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:NYCerican you watching the Knicks vs Bulls on 1/3/24 ? How could you say you wouldn't take Derozan for free so you could see what Grimes becomes, smh. Whatever it is you smoke, please switch to something less potent. Smh, what a bad take. Said with love, my bro. ❤️ O

DD isnt what we need, we all know he can score. Leon Rose has shown he won't go after old "star" names just for the sake of it.

Chandler
Member: #6197

1/4/2024  8:31 AM
DD also brings some swagger — not to be underestimated in the playoffs. He can put a lot of pressure on Defenses and get to the line

IMO he could be the missing piece for a serious run but it will come down to price. He’s a little like Jimmy Butler in that his game hasn’t been heavily impacted with age

Regardless we need a clutch shooter (or at least scorer) to do some damage in playoffs.

(5)(5)
nycericanguy

1/4/2024  8:38 AM
Chandler wrote:DD also brings some swagger — not to be underestimated in the playoffs. He can put a lot of pressure on Defenses and get to the line

IMO he could be the missing piece for a serious run but it will come down to price. He’s a little like Jimmy Butler in that his game hasn’t been heavily impacted with age

Regardless we need a clutch shooter (or at least scorer) to do some damage in playoffs.

he's been pretty bad in the playoffs in his career. 41/21 shooting.

he's a mid range, high usage, volume scorer who doesn't defend, shoot 3's or handle the ball. And he's old, not a long term piece and expensive. Really the opposite of what we need.

we just got rid of RJ, people are saying our team fits so much better now, so now we want to add an even more high usage, even more mid range version of RJ?

Chandler

1/4/2024  11:20 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
Chandler wrote:DD also brings some swagger — not to be underestimated in the playoffs. He can put a lot of pressure on Defenses and get to the line

he's been pretty bad in the playoffs in his career. 41/21 shooting.

he's a mid range, high usage, volume scorer who doesn't defend, shoot 3's or handle the ball. And he's old, not a long term piece and expensive. Really the opposite of what we need.

we just got rid of RJ, people are saying our team fits so much better now, so now we want to add an even more high usage, even more mid range version of RJ?

We've seen DD punish people. Put stats aside for a moment. DD with the ball in his hand late in a key game do you worry or not? I do. I think he's getting a good shot or FTs and he hits those. RJ, I'm holding my breath

(5)(5)
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/4/2024  12:05 PM
DeRozan is a clutch player and he's one of the harder people to guard in the NBA because he's crafty and find his spots and hits 84% of his FT on high volume. He and Jimmy are basically the same except Jimmy has the heroic playoff record and DeMar does not. Its a push your chips in the middle type move to get him - you're not just giving up Fournier. Im not sure if it works, but it would be bold.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/4/2024  12:19 PM
VDesai wrote:DeRozan is a clutch player and he's one of the harder people to guard in the NBA because he's crafty and find his spots and hits 84% of his FT on high volume. He and Jimmy are basically the same except Jimmy has the heroic playoff record and DeMar does not. Its a push your chips in the middle type move to get him - you're not just giving up Fournier. Im not sure if it works, but it would be bold.

Except for the playoffs. You could make the case that his performance would improve on a team where he's not the focal point. I'd be cool with Derozan as a short term rental, dependent on price. But his career is about to hit the wall at any point now.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/4/2024  12:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  12:28 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
VDesai wrote:DeRozan is a clutch player and he's one of the harder people to guard in the NBA because he's crafty and find his spots and hits 84% of his FT on high volume. He and Jimmy are basically the same except Jimmy has the heroic playoff record and DeMar does not. Its a push your chips in the middle type move to get him - you're not just giving up Fournier. Im not sure if it works, but it would be bold.

Except for the playoffs. You could make the case that his performance would improve on a team where he's not the focal point. I'd be cool with Derozan as a short term rental, dependent on price. But his career is about to hit the wall at any point now.

Do not think Demar is the type of player you have to worry about hitting a wall dramatically.
He is not a high flyer, speed guy that one would worry losing that at a later age.
He has the type of game that does not need young legs to contribute for several more years.
Agree that he is not a number one but maybe a great option to fill the role of creating offense when JB and JR do not have it going. Also good to have an elite finisher in the playoffs. As you mentioned.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/4/2024  12:28 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Why? It's not like he relies on speed or athleticism to score. I would extend/sign him for two more years, a similar contract to what we gave D Rose.

Chandler

1/4/2024  12:30 PM

We could use his swagger too. He won't wilt

We should have drafted him rather than Jordan Hill when we got skunked on the Curry pick

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/4/2024  12:42 PM
Rookie wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Why? It's not like he relies on speed or athleticism to score. I would extend/sign him for two more years, a similar contract to what we gave D Rose.

You realize he's 34, right? It's not natural for most dudes to keep putting up 20-5-5 into their mid to late 30s. Before you mention Lebron, the key word is "natural." It's going to happen, we just don't know when.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/4/2024  12:50 PM
But its not like DeMar has a lot of years on his deal so is it relevant?
nycericanguy

1/4/2024  12:55 PM
VDesai wrote:But its not like DeMar has a lot of years on his deal so is it relevant?

why stunt Grimes's growth further for a short term "solution" that doesn't put us over the top anyway?

The Argument For Demar Derozan

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy