Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/1/2024  9:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2024  6:12 AM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
joec32033 wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:What did Jonathan Macri say about RJ ? These Knicks content creators are something else. Unsubscribed

Haven't listened to thay one yet but if it was anything like Locked on Knicks it will be a **** on RJ podcast. Gets annoying when these guys can't temper bull**** and realize they can't just dump on a player for hours on end. We get it. Quickley is God and RJ shouldn't be in the league. I listened for an hour about how RJ did nothing to earn his spot.

The one podcast had Bill Simmons on and when he pointed out how Quick was schemed out in the playoffs it was brushed off yet RJ can't catch a break with these guys. Now 7 year vet OG is going to make a leap when these guys said year 5 RJ (at 3 years youger)is done. Then I think Simmons said at year 4 or 5 you kind of are what you are (I have heard that and used that argument before), but year 7 OG is gonna make that leap, you watch.

These podcasters are guys who never even interact with these players. They are the same as us just they have a microphone and a camera. They create a channel and people take them seriously and then they take themselves even more serious. Macri is a school teacher, dear me. RJ is a player and he had to talk crap about him, personally, why ? It's not like RJ killed someone like the former Nets player Williams. Man no wonder why players don't want to play in NYC

Macri always **** on him and if it is as bad as you say, I'm may unsubscribe too. I wanted to be a journalist in my younger years. Went to college for it. When you talk there has to be some balance. Especially sports because nothing is concrete and you can make advanced stats say anything you want. Shit, I just posted in the trade thread the other day where now that he is out of NY CBS sports posted a graphick with RJ in the same class as Tatum, Doncic, Lebron, and Durant at age 23...

https://www.facebook.com/share/kADXB9mgJRU7L1g3/?mibextid=xfxF2i

I heard Macri's comments and, while he could've said it with more grace, he didn't lie. RJ has been more bad than good.
While I was one of those actively pushing to trade him, the numbers don't lie. Still optimistic that RJ will get it together.

This was my take as well.

I'm fine with RJ being traded. Many fans object to Macri speaking about RJ somehow deceiving Knicks fans by being articulate and expressing insincerity about being a Knick and things of that nature. That he was media savvy and fooling the fan base to loving him more then he deserved. Has he ever met RJ ? Don't all smart players try to get the fan base to love them ? How does that merit criticism from a podcaster ? What did RJ do to him personally ? Macri is really feeling himself. It's not Macris fault that some of his viewers think he knows stuff about the team or basketball cause he has a show like when people think Jeremy Cohen is a cap expert and repeat what he says and think they know stuff about the salary cap and repeat it. But I am not listening to that guy anymore. Like I don't listen to Raw Hebrew, another guy with a camera who is a expert. But you know what Hebrew doesn't speak badly about players personally or try to get into their heads. Tacky and classless of Macri

AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

1/2/2024  7:49 AM
Wish him well.
(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/2/2024  8:56 AM
I stopped listening to Macri as he had gone (by his own admission) too personal with his stances of anti Randle and RJ. I gave a listen after the trade and he bought up his stance and walked it back.
I also think we give too much cred to Fred Katz.
When we repost tweets we start to make them legit as “authorities” to the subject. A few seasons ago I was very anti blog because teh work was shotty but many fans were taking them as legit researched “articles”. They are often opinion pieces and should be taken as such. Does not make them evil or bad, but not legit like a beat writer would produce. There are few and fewer of them.

Caught the end of the TOronto game last night and thy too had a fun night. Capped off by Indy beating the Bucks. Our ex knicks had a good night. RJ hit two clinching FT’s. Quick missed a floaters that could have. Strange to see them both in different Uni’s.

As it stands, as long as we resign OG and succeed as a team, Im good with all our ex-knicks going well.

The success of the trade is about Chemistry. OG is a better offball player and defender.
To sum extent draft position had a lot to do with expectations. IQ taken 25th vs. “StarJay” Taken 3rd from a high profile Duke team just behind Zion. First rookie extended since Charlie Ward! While our expectations of RJ might have been bloated, IQ was our “underdog” of sorts.
Thibs was hard on both of them. RJ did play good defense for most of his knick career and did what he needed to stay on the floor. IQ has a narrower skill set but bulked up and became a good defensive player. As mentioned by other she might be best suited as a “microwave” type but we’ll see how they pay and play him going forward.

Alpha1971

1/2/2024  10:29 AM
Nalod wrote:I stopped listening to Macri as he had gone (by his own admission) too personal with his stances of anti Randle and RJ. I gave a listen after the trade and he bought up his stance and walked it back.
I also think we give too much cred to Fred Katz.
When we repost tweets we start to make them legit as “authorities” to the subject. A few seasons ago I was very anti blog because teh work was shotty but many fans were taking them as legit researched “articles”. They are often opinion pieces and should be taken as such. Does not make them evil or bad, but not legit like a beat writer would produce. There are few and fewer of them.

Caught the end of the TOronto game last night and thy too had a fun night. Capped off by Indy beating the Bucks. Our ex knicks had a good night. RJ hit two clinching FT’s. Quick missed a floaters that could have. Strange to see them both in different Uni’s.

As it stands, as long as we resign OG and succeed as a team, Im good with all our ex-knicks going well.

The success of the trade is about Chemistry. OG is a better offball player and defender.
To sum extent draft position had a lot to do with expectations. IQ taken 25th vs. “StarJay” Taken 3rd from a high profile Duke team just behind Zion. First rookie extended since Charlie Ward! While our expectations of RJ might have been bloated, IQ was our “underdog” of sorts.
Thibs was hard on both of them. RJ did play good defense for most of his knick career and did what he needed to stay on the floor. IQ has a narrower skill set but bulked up and became a good defensive player. As mentioned by other she might be best suited as a “microwave” type but we’ll see how they pay and play him going forward.

Did you see what former Beat reporter Mark Berman said about the trade ? All of a sudden RJ is a future all star and IQ a future all star. Funny after the Knicks give em up they are the best young talents but when they were on the roster team was flawed for having them. Mark Berman is a turd. Beat writers and some of these podcasters are why free agents don't like coming here.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/2/2024  10:37 AM
RJ like KP was one of our shots in the top 5 for a pure superstar, and the fact that he didn't get there makes it dissapointing. Inefficient? Yes. Dissapointing? At times. But he also worked hard at his game, was a really good young dude with a humble attitude and seemed to be a really good teammate. He kept making small improvements here and there, but it was year 5 and we needed him to be Tatum and he just wasn't gonna be that at any point.

Maybe he never gets to a place where he can shoot 37-40% on 3s. I dont know.

That said he played an important role in the turnaround of this team/franchise and had his moments here.

Alpha1971

1/2/2024  11:21 AM
VDesai wrote:RJ like KP was one of our shots in the top 5 for a pure superstar, and the fact that he didn't get there makes it dissapointing. Inefficient? Yes. Dissapointing? At times. But he also worked hard at his game, was a really good young dude with a humble attitude and seemed to be a really good teammate. He kept making small improvements here and there, but it was year 5 and we needed him to be Tatum and he just wasn't gonna be that at any point.

Maybe he never gets to a place where he can shoot 37-40% on 3s. I dont know.

That said he played an important role in the turnaround of this team/franchise and had his moments here.

Macri made it personal. RJ may not even know who Macri is but if does maybe he should say " Macri the failed attorney ? " But he won't cause RJ is a classy dude.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/2/2024  12:33 PM
Retract my statement about Fred Katz. He does write for the Athletic, a NY Times product now.
Media does like to stir up the fans ire. Anger sells. Nothing new here.

As for hits and misses, Brunson and Randle exceeded. KP and RJ are good, just not what was hoped. It happens.
As for the "Knicks should have gotten KP", I still don't know were we fit him into salary and positions. We have an allstar 5, and Thibs likes his Centers to be tough guys.
KP is a hell of a player and I hated his "Unicorness" did not fulfill here but at 30mil per year who gets traded and who is NOT here because of it?
He makes the Celtics bonafide favorites but also that they stole Derrick White and got Jrue Holiday.
With Horford off the bench, its quite the tandem.

Stuna117
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9172

1/2/2024  8:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2024  8:50 PM
RJ has been one of the most frustrating players in my lifetime for sure, when you factor in expectations.

3rd overall pick behind Zion and Ja. Just never really saw the ability that justified the hype. Players with RJ’s profile are usually much better shooters or really good finishers at the basket. Unfortunately he is neither. Defense was nothing special either.

We had chances to sell higher on him in the past, instead we held onto him and his value continued to plummet by the season and then we gave him a bad contract on top of it.

Luckily we hit on Quickley and used the 2 of them to get OG who is a perfect fit here. Would have been nice to keep Quickley obviously, but at least we kept our draft assets and got rid of RJ’s contract.

I commend him for his hard work and durability, I just wish he was a better NBA player for us. I wish him the best, but considering he’s still in our division, I hope he doesn’t pan out lol

The RJ appreciation thread...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy