[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

FO sees dead people.......
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
12/31/2023  8:20 PM
I was concerned we would never be able to upgrade Barrett because his contract would become neutral at best the way he was playing. Seems like the cost of upgrading was our star 6th man. No picks. Losing Quickley will really hurt but I have to feel like this team is more equipped to compete against the best teams.
AUTOADVERT
fwk00
Member: #6048

12/31/2023  9:53 PM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:Interesting trade in that it was an adult trade as opposed to, say, alopsided Ainge trade. Both teams got what they wanted.
While a lot of Knick pundits are wetting their pants that NY kept all their first-rounders I would argue that Toronto scored a very valuable second-rounder in that Detroit pick. Imo, its far more valuable than those conditional firsts in the same talent ballpark.

I had kind of thought OG was unattainable given some of the Knicks/Toronto bad vibes - maybe a player that Toronto would rather anyone else have. So the Knicks finally getting their man is a nice touch and a sign that adults were in the room negotiating.

Early REDIT reports on Flynn are disturbing. Knicks should just cut him loose if true.

Precious, who is not a center, will still give Randall a break here and there.

RJ will be a big start in Toronto - hard worker, learner, no slouch.

And, likewise, Quick will shine - too talented not to.

I also disagree that this is not a trade that makes NY a contender - I think it surely is as a dark horse candidate.

Next trades? How about an improbable one?

Go get Draymond Green on the cheap.

Adult trade, I like that, good way to put it.

And Draymond had crossed my mind too, off the bench. But he is going to be 34 soon and will have 3 extra years. That's a lot to swallow.

It is a load but it's also playoff gold.

What's not being discussed is that this also creates a real tension and pressure for. Cleveland to move or lose out if Atlanta moves first with Murray. This will reach a crisis point soon.

Not for nothing but I could see Atlanta, Brooklyn, Cleveland, New York all somehow be involved with Dejounte, Donovan, Mikal, Grimes/lots of picks mnoving.

My thoughts as well. Somebody will move aggressively to cash in on Grimes and those picks. The Knicks have the best trading cards on the table. If Donovan really wants to be a Knick this is the window of opportunity that will be closing on that dream. If the Knicks take a flyer on Murray and Murray delivers big, Donovan out of luck AND Cleveland misses out on that bag of picks that they will need.

I could see Mitchell and Allen for Hartenstein, Grimes, Sims, and Fournier and a sh@t load of picks being bounced around.

Realistically, Knicks just don't have the salaries that match up with Mitchell/Allen right now. That's ~$50M.

Oh, I was under the impression we got an injured player exception and a 7.5M trade allowance from the Toronto deal to bundle along. The devil is always in the details though.

fwk00

12/31/2023  9:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Rookie wrote:After this trade I am convinced we aren’t going after a big move this year. Maybe a fill the bench small move but nothing involving moving Grimes or multiple picks. We are in good salary cap position and I expect we will use our picks this year to fill in the bench with salary controlled players in the draft

The pressure is because they pretty much need to do something with Fournier's contract this year. It will be tough because they no longer have RJ's deal to pair with to trade for a max guy. I hate the Murray fit on this team, but he's a deal they could make in terms of matching salaries.

Given that they did right by RJ, I'm guessing they move Fournier somewhere/anywhere so that he can salvage a career. He's done nothing to the Knicks except not fit the narrative.

fwk00

12/31/2023  9:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2023  10:09 PM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:Interesting trade in that it was an adult trade as opposed to, say, alopsided Ainge trade. Both teams got what they wanted.
While a lot of Knick pundits are wetting their pants that NY kept all their first-rounders I would argue that Toronto scored a very valuable second-rounder in that Detroit pick. Imo, its far more valuable than those conditional firsts in the same talent ballpark.

I had kind of thought OG was unattainable given some of the Knicks/Toronto bad vibes - maybe a player that Toronto would rather anyone else have. So the Knicks finally getting their man is a nice touch and a sign that adults were in the room negotiating.

Early REDIT reports on Flynn are disturbing. Knicks should just cut him loose if true.

I also disagree that this is not a trade that makes NY a contender - I think it surely is as a dark horse candidate.

And Draymond had crossed my mind too, off the bench. But he is going to be 34 soon and will have 3 extra years. That's a lot to swallow.

What's not being discussed is that this also creates a real tension and pressure for. Cleveland to move or lose out if Atlanta moves first with Murray. This will reach a crisis point soon.

Not for nothing but I could see Atlanta, Brooklyn, Cleveland, New York all somehow be involved with Dejounte, Donovan, Mikal, Grimes/lots of picks mnoving.

My thoughts as well. Somebody will move aggressively to cash in on Grimes and those picks. The Knicks have the best trading cards on the table. If Donovan really wants to be a Knick this is the window of opportunity that will be closing on that dream. If the Knicks take a flyer on Murray and Murray delivers big, Donovan out of luck AND Cleveland misses out on that bag of picks that they will need.

I could see Mitchell and Allen for Hartenstein, Grimes, Sims, and Fournier and a sh@t load of picks being bounced around.

Realistically, Knicks just don't have the salaries that match up with Mitchell/Allen right now. That's ~$50M.

the Warrior I think about trying to get is Klay Thompson. I wouldn’t want Draymond if he were free to sign - too much of a knucklehead.

Klay, however, would be great. But I don’t see how you could trade for him. I have to imagine GS has to start thinking about retooling.

Klay may be done but, yes, GS needs to take a long hard look at turning the page.

Green is for sure a knucklehead but exactly what you need come playoffs - a hint of Oakley to complement Hartenstein - a "Walmart greeter with a bad attitude" down low.

fwk00

12/31/2023  10:01 PM
Rookie wrote:After this trade I am convinced we aren’t going after a big move this year. Maybe a fill the bench small move but nothing involving moving Grimes or multiple picks. We are in good salary cap position and I expect we will use our picks this year to fill in the bench with salary controlled players in the draft

The question is, "are the Knicks "all in" or kicking the proverbial can down the road? IMO, its time.

fwk00

12/31/2023  10:32 PM
fwk00 wrote:

The question is, "are the Knicks "all in" or kicking the proverbial can down the road? IMO, its time.

I actually like the economy of the trade Cohen at KFS suggests:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/live/six-Eh-XxLk?si=ILSXn73ULOPF1bIc&t=2385[/YouTube]

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/1/2024  12:35 AM
fwk00 wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

I actually like the economy of the trade Cohen at KFS suggests:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/live/six-Eh-XxLk?si=ILSXn73ULOPF1bIc&t=2385[/YouTube]

KFS, Raw Hebrew, and those You Tube pod casts are never right about anything

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/1/2024  1:25 AM
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Oh, I was under the impression we got an injured player exception and a 7.5M trade allowance from the Toronto deal to bundle along. The devil is always in the details though.

You can’t really combine those exceptions, just take a salary less than those amounts into them

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fwk00

1/1/2024  11:18 AM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

You can’t really combine those exceptions, just take a salary less than those amounts into them

good to know

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/1/2024  3:35 PM
Ogugua!

Thats what OG is short for!

Alpha1971

1/1/2024  6:14 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

The pressure is because they pretty much need to do something with Fournier's contract this year. It will be tough because they no longer have RJ's deal to pair with to trade for a max guy. I hate the Murray fit on this team, but he's a deal they could make in terms of matching salaries.

There won't be any perfect trades. Is Murray an improvement, yes he is

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/1/2024  7:29 PM
Nalod wrote:Ogugua!

I had never heard that and how do you pronounce

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Alpha1971

1/1/2024  7:48 PM

Is that a reference to Lovecraft " Call of Cthulhu " I have no idea what you mean

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/1/2024  9:06 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:

Is that a reference to Lovecraft " Call of Cthulhu " I have no idea what you mean

One of the reasons I'm proud to post on this board - H.P. Lovecraft references to go with cheerleader cheesecake. And whatever else .

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/1/2024  9:53 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

There won't be any perfect trades. Is Murray an improvement, yes he is

EF for Murray would absolutely be the perfect trade. Depending on number of picks

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Alpha1971

1/1/2024  9:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2024  10:03 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:

One of the reasons I'm proud to post on this board - H.P. Lovecraft references to go with cheerleader cheesecake. And whatever else .

Nerds unite. I just finished reading Edgar Allen Poe works last week American horror authors whose influence is felt everyday in literature, tv, and films. Poe lived in the Bronx and Lovecraft in Brooklyn. I introduced my daughter to their works by taking her to the areas they lived to make it a fun reading adventure. She wasn't impressed

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/1/2024  10:07 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:

Nerds unite. I just finished reading Edgar Allen Poe works last week American horror authors whose influence is felt everyday in literature, tv, and films. Poe lived in the Bronx and Lovecraft in Brooklyn. I introduced my daughter to their works by taking her to the areas they lived to make it a fun reading adventure. She wasn't impressed

That was a good try though!
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/2/2024  7:46 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:IQ was moved because the FO did not believe he was worth starter money or could fit in the SL. That simple.
If they did, they would have paid him and started him at the 2.

In terms of RJ, that was easy. Knicks knew they needed a better outside shooter and a better defender at the SF spot. Agree with both wholeheartedly. Sure I would have liked for RJ to become the player we all hoped he could be, but how long is enough?

My concern is that we are usually a step behind. Loading ones team with a bunch of three and D players may now be taken over by having 5 quick athletic players who can really shoot the three. Which is exactly what IQ is. Have mentioned in the past that one of the complaints regarding Thibs, that has some weight, is that he is an old school coach. Loves those bigger defenders regardless of what they do on offense. OG may be in that mold but losing IQ, who fit that so well hurts.

Definitely ike that we got better defensively at SF. With a better shooter. Just hate that we gave up on IQ. Who like Dallas found out last year with JB, is in my opinion underrated and will be elite if given the chance..
But hey, once we were unable to extend him, he was gone. We could have lost him and received nothing in return. So guess moving him now made sense.

Time to turn the page. Hopefully as was the case with the JJart trade last year, FO will prove themselves to be more knowledgeable than the average fan.

This is 100% spot on

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/2/2024  9:00 AM
Should we be worried that OG can walk this summer?
CAA conspiracy aside, Philly has the capspace to sign him this summer.
If we don’t have an agreement do we move him at trade deadline?
Is this where he wanted to be all along and we good?
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

1/2/2024  9:00 AM

The protections on those picks means if they convert to second rounders, they will also be of high value. Or example Detroit's pick in 2026 is protected up to 8, meaning Knicks could pick anywhere from 9-38. If Detroit's lands the number 1 and this pick is 31, Knicks would still have about a 75% chance of landing a better pick.

But because of new odds, even the worst record only guarantees a 1-4 pick. Just because they have a higher potential of delivering as a much better pick, those protected 1st's are still better if you have patience.

FO sees dead people.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy