[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The IQ appreciation thread...
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/1/2024  12:48 PM
IQ might have been the most versatile player on the roster. Which is why I was hoping we would get back a younger player than OG, and with more upside. Or part of a deal for an elite player in their prime.

We have to hope that OG stays healthy, and plays well. I would have preferred throwing in some first rounders for more of a game changer. But maybe thats for the next trade.

RJ will be there with him, to show IQ where there are some good places to live. And Im sure the fans will appreciate what Quickley brings to the table, from the jump.

I hope this works.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/1/2024  3:16 PM
Thank you Steve Mills!
You signed Mook Morris, then traded him to the clippers for their 1st round pick.
The 17 win season? We got the 3rd pick that was RJ.
Today we get to fall in love with OG........He will heal our broken hearts? Maybe.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/1/2024  8:17 PM
The highest +/- in New York Knicks history!
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

1/2/2024  7:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2024  7:13 AM
Lebron went back to Cleveland....so.... When darkness comes don't curse it, instead light a candle. 💕 😘 He may return.
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

1/2/2024  7:39 AM
Wish him the best

Great energy and attitude every day!

(5)(5)
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

1/2/2024  7:40 AM
I'm very high on IQ, but people always bring up his "Starter" stats and those were pretty amazing for Obi too. But alot of those were accrued in garbage time and against bench players. Even Grimes averaged 25ppg last April.
I always said maybe Thibs actually had Obi in his best role, maybe it was quite possible that Obi's best long term role in the league was going to be just what he had here, an off the bench energy big. And it didn't take long for IND to move him to the bench. IQ is a very solid two way player but it's quite possible his best role is also a sparkplug microwave scorer ala Lou Williams. The way MIA nuetered him in the playoffs was always in the back of my mind.

Going to be interesting how he does as not only a PG but now starting and having his minutes mostly matched against other starters.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  9:57 AM

"The next Maxey"

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/4/2024  10:17 AM
Toronto has a pretty balanced lineup and 8 man rotation now. They may need to pay IQ 30mm, but IMO will be worth it.

If I'm them I keep Siakam. IQ/Barret/Barnes/Siakam/Poetl with Trent/Schroeder/Boucher off the bench has balance and they can run and play D. Its a really nice team that can sneak into the play in games and give someone a lot of trouble in the first round.

GustavBahler

1/4/2024  10:47 AM
nycericanguy wrote:I'm very high on IQ, but people always bring up his "Starter" stats and those were pretty amazing for Obi too. But alot of those were accrued in garbage time and against bench players. Even Grimes averaged 25ppg last April.
I always said maybe Thibs actually had Obi in his best role, maybe it was quite possible that Obi's best long term role in the league was going to be just what he had here, an off the bench energy big. And it didn't take long for IND to move him to the bench. IQ is a very solid two way player but it's quite possible his best role is also a sparkplug microwave scorer ala Lou Williams. The way MIA nuetered him in the playoffs was always in the back of my mind.

Going to be interesting how he does as not only a PG but now starting and having his minutes mostly matched against other starters.

Lets not rewrite history here..

Called upon for a career-high 21 starts last season in the wake of Barrett and Jalen Brunson injuries, Quickley averaged 22.6 points (nearly 10 more than his production off the bench) and shot just under 47 percent from the field. The Knicks posted a 12-9 record in his starts, which included a 55-minute, 38-point, double-overtime magnum opus in Boston last March.

More than enough games to prove that IQ's performance as a starter, wasnt a flash in the pan. Obi proved that he deserved a larger role as a sub. Thats all most of Obi's fans wanted. More PT.

nycericanguy

1/4/2024  10:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:I'm very high on IQ, but people always bring up his "Starter" stats and those were pretty amazing for Obi too. But alot of those were accrued in garbage time and against bench players. Even Grimes averaged 25ppg last April.

Called upon for a career-high 21 starts last season in the wake of Barrett and Jalen Brunson injuries, Quickley averaged 22.6 points (nearly 10 more than his production off the bench) and shot just under 47 percent from the field. The Knicks posted a 12-9 record in his starts, which included a 55-minute, 38-point, double-overtime magnum opus in Boston last March.

More than enough games to prove that IQ's performance as a starter, wasnt a flash in the pan. Obi proved that he deserved a larger role as a sub. Thats all most of Obi's fans wanted. More PT.

IQ is a good player and played well when given the chance.

just saying that 22ppg is propped up by those April games where IQ, Grimes and Obi were all starting and dropping 30ppg with ease.

Obi is only playing 24mpg in IND, basically 7mpg more than he did here. and has already been moved to the bench, he is what Thibs thought he was, an off the bench energy big. He certainly wouldn't be playing 24mpg if IND had a PF like Randle.

GustavBahler

1/4/2024  11:04 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

just saying that 22ppg is propped up by those April games where IQ, Grimes and Obi were all starting and dropping 30ppg with ease.

Obi is only playing 24mpg in IND, basically 7mpg more than he did here. and has already been moved to the bench, he is what Thibs thought he was, an off the bench energy big. He certainly wouldn't be playing 24mpg if IND had a PF like Randle.

Still at it...

Does this look like most of IQ's games last season were in April? Dont see the need to make the trade look better than it does. Im glad OG is a Knick, but he didnt come cheap.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=immanuel+quickley+stats+as+a+starter+2022-2023

nycericanguy

1/4/2024  11:10 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

Does this look like most of IQ's games last season were in April? Dont see the need to make the trade look better than it does. Im glad OG is a Knick, but he didnt come cheap.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=immanuel+quickley+stats+as+a+starter+2022-2023

I never said most of his starts were in April, that wouldn't make sense, there aren't even that many games in April.

I said they were propped up by those numbers, look at how many big games those 3 had late in the year.

Just saying I'm curious to see how he does playing against mostly starters now. Always felt he was a 20/5/5 guy.

But people get carried away, we had people saying Obi was a legit 20ppg guy based on the same "as a starter" stats.

GustavBahler

1/4/2024  11:23 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

I never said most of his starts were in April, that wouldn't make sense, there aren't even that many games in April.

I said they were propped up by those numbers, look at how many big games those 3 had late in the year.

Just saying I'm curious to see how he does playing against mostly starters now. Always felt he was a 20/5/5 guy.

But people get carried away, we had people saying Obi was a legit 20ppg guy based on the same "as a starter" stats.

Look at the big games IQ had to start the season, when our seeding was on the line. Nobody thought that Obi should start over Randle, no one.

Posters such as myself cited Obi's stats as as starter. Which includes a strong playoff performance in his only start. Demonstrated that he was capable of more than the PT he was being given. That he shouldnt have been given such a quick hook for mistakes, that Randle made in much larger amounts. Wasnt about replacing Randle, it was about Obi earning more PT. Not even a strong playoff performance got Thibs to give him a larger role. Which is why Obi lost it, and was traded. Maybe the most easygoing player on the roster.

Thibs has a track record of doing stuff like this going back years. Its no secret, and we shouldnt treat it as one.

nycericanguy

1/4/2024  11:25 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

Look at the big games IQ had to start the season, when our seeding was on the line. Nobody thought that Obi should start over Randle, no one.

Posters such as myself cited Obi's stats as as starter. Which includes a strong playoff performance in his only start. Demonstrated that he was capable of more than the PT he was being given. That he shouldnt have been given such a quick hook for mistakes, that Randle made in much larger amounts. Wasnt about replacing Randle, it was about Obi earning more PT. Not even a strong playoff performance got Thibs to give him a larger role. Which is why Obi lost it, and was traded. Maybe the most easygoing player on the roster.

Thibs has a track record of doing stuff like this going back years. Its no secret, and we shouldnt treat it as one.

I'd say Thib's track record is pretty strong, can you name even one player that he had in the doghouse that thrived elsewhere?

CAM has been awful, some legit wanted Thibs fired for not playing him more. He could very well be out of the league soon.

and Obi is showing that he's just an off the bench energy big. Simply doesn't do anything outside of finishing at the rim very well.

GustavBahler

1/4/2024  11:43 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

I'd say Thib's track record is pretty strong, can you name even one player that he had in the doghouse that thrived elsewhere?

CAM has been awful, some legit wanted Thibs fired for not playing him more. He could very well be out of the league soon.

and Obi is showing that he's just an off the bench energy big. Simply doesn't do anything outside of finishing at the rim very well.

Thats a strawman argument.

Who said anything about a doghouse? Just you. I have been saying all season that Thibs has a track record of players complaining about their roles, of effectively having their game put in a box. You want me to name those players?

How about Grimes? Same complaints as Obi. Gets sent to the bench. What happens? With more freedom to create. make mistakes, his game is slowly coming back.

What about Josh Hart? He complained about being stuck in the corner. Thibs loosens up. Aside from the Sved-like pass into the cheap(ish) seats, Hart starts getting more involved.

It isnt until the players force Thibs hand that changes are made. I'd like to see the coaching staff pick up on it sooner.

nycericanguy

1/4/2024  11:58 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

Who said anything about a doghouse? Just you. I have been saying all season that Thibs has a track record of players complaining about their roles, of effectively having their game put in a box. You want me to name those players?

How about Grimes? Same complaints as Obi. Gets sent to the bench. What happens? With more freedom to create. make mistakes, his game is slowly coming back.

What about Josh Hart? He complained about being stuck in the corner. Thibs loosens up. Aside from the Sved-like pass into the cheap(ish) seats, Hart starts getting more involved.

It isnt until the players force Thibs hand that changes are made. I'd like to see the coaching staff pick up on it sooner.

Players complaining about their roles in the NBA is nothing new and certainly not something unique to Thibs.

The reality is we did have a glut of guards and a trade was always going to be necessary, the minutes were not there, so it's not surprising that guys spoke about it.

I simply asked you to name one player that has thrived after leaving Thibs?

GustavBahler

1/4/2024  12:07 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Still at it...

Players complaining about their roles in the NBA is nothing new and certainly not something unique to Thibs.

The reality is we did have a glut of guards and a trade was always going to be necessary, the minutes were not there, so it's not surprising that guys spoke about it.

I simply asked you to name one player that has thrived after leaving Thibs?

Players complain about their roles, but we dont hear players on other teams going public as much as Thibs coached teams, on the whole.

To answer your question.. Jimmy Butler and KAT. They did just fine after their dustup with Thibs. Better than they have done with him lately.

Thibs waits too long to properly address an issue. It creates unecessary drama. Its a big reason why he is always at the bottom of the survey that players respond to about NBA coaches. There is no way to spin that.

HofstraBBall

1/4/2024  12:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2024  12:21 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

There is absolutely nothing in common between IQ and Obi.
IQ is not one dimensional.

There is a big difference with what IQ can do. He reminds me of what JB was. A talented player that is ready to be given the chance to be next level. With Obi, as he has proven in Indiana, he is just not as talented or can contribute in various ways. IQ is a player that makes a team better. Obi is a player that fills small roles.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2024  12:21 PM
Thibs has a long track record that span two eras sort of.
We seem to think what he did in the past will always be what he does going forward. Some things "Yes", some not.
Grimes was sent to second unit to "Loosen up". now IQ and RJ are gone and OG is a glue guy that ball moves better. Same with IQ not dancing and shooting. There is more ball to go around. not slamming anyone, especially IQ. But lets be real, if the team thrives going forward its not an indictment on anyone but one has to recognize the chemistry.
If the team falters, we'll see why and then lay appropriate blame.
Im not sure talent wise we are better but the ceiling is "different" and as I have said a few times this week the chemistry and opportunities will be there.
With Precious JoshHarts role now changes. For the better? Not sure. We now have two dogs. OG is a bigger dog!

End of the day winning is all that matters.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
1/5/2024  9:52 AM
I'm going to be patient and bite my tongue until I see what we do with the Fournier contract at the trade deadline cause right now we did a two for one trade.
The IQ appreciation thread...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy