[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks finalizing trade for OG: It’s bad - badass for Knicks, bad for rest of league BOO YA
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/30/2023  1:03 PM
this makes us better but not by much and those assets would have been better used elsewhere.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/30/2023  1:03 PM
Clean wrote:Moving post here.

It is going to take me a second to fully think this through but we needed to make a trade. RJ, Randle and Brunson did not fit. It was obvious to those paying attention. Quick is a hard pill to swallow but he was about to get paid much more than the Knicks were willing to spend I guess. We also needed to make some room in the SG SF positions. OG is going to get paid when his contract is up so how much is going to factor into this. OG is a good defender and when your two stars are JB and Randle you need as many good defenders as you can get. I kept saying 3 minus defenders in the starting lineup is not going to work. Now we are down to a more workable 2 bad defenders. Losing Quick is going to hurt our bench so lets hope the other guys we get can help with that.

Thanks for doing this, sorry for the inconvenience.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
DLeethal
Member: #9126

12/30/2023  1:04 PM
Interesting. Sucks losing Quick and RJ. I'm happy RJ gets to play at home and Quick gets a chance to start on a team he should flourish with.

We always knew a 2-for-1 trade was going to happen to rebalance the lineup.

My takeaways:

We continue to double down on Thibs and his philosophy. Clearly defense was becoming a huge weak link for us. OG is one of the best defensive wings in the league. We had nobody to place on the Tatum/Butler's of the world and now we do.

We continue to double down on Brunson/Randle. I think Randle's resurgence probably gave the FO renewed faith in him. Randle and RJ was never a good fit long term, I've said that a million times. OG on paper is a good mix with those two guys.

The Villanova guys are here to stay, Brunson runs the show here. This rebalances the lineup in a way where all of our guys can get solid minutes.

I said recently I thought OG made the most sense in a Donovan Mitchell scenario. Interesting that we decided to keep all of our picks. I think he's still our top target, even more now than before.

We lose a lot of scoring. Not sure how we are going to replace that.

Wonder if Flynn or Deuce gets the backup PG nod. Also wonder if we have plans to try and lure Rokas over now to take the backup PG spot. His agent recently said he wasn't coming over without a role for him here.

More Grimes, more OG, possibly a lot more Deuce. Our defense could become really good again.

martin
USA
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

I might understand either RJ or IQ in a deal, but not both. Not for OG.

You would think that the Knicks would ask for more, considering the lawsuit. Use it as leverage. Sure doesnt look like they had any. Bothers me that this was the only team they could find to make a deal.

Will be interesting to see how Randle and OG fit. Hope it works. Hope OG stays healthy.

DLeethal

I was always at peace with an RJ for OG swap, even with some picks, hurts to lose Quick but it seems we were never gonna give him what he felt he deserved in terms of a contract. Keeping all of ur picks is interesting.
Clean
Member: #743
12/30/2023  1:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2023  1:08 PM
I don't think this trade is so bad. RJ just did not fit our team. I expect him to look better if the Raptors have more shooting. He is in Tornoto so he should be happy. Quick is also a bit overrated just like OG. Quick does well in the regular season but once teams pressure him in the playoff his game falls off a cliff. The fact that we did not touch our draft assets outside of a Det 2nd means we still have a ton of assets. OG re-signing and how much he re-signs for if he does is going to factor hugely into how this is seen.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/30/2023  1:07 PM
Garrett2010PSD wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:this is the kind of package that should have been used to get Mitchell or Mikal, not OG

Probably would have to give more in draft capital but I agree.

My criticism is maybe they could have gotten a better player (like Mikal), but hope our FO checked and were rebuffed.

DLeethal

12/30/2023  1:07 PM
nycericanguy wrote:this makes us better but not by much and those assets would have been better used elsewhere.

We really only have Fournier expiring, Grimes, picks now. Maybe Rokas has some untapped value like Marc Gasol did when no one knew who he was. Seems like we will be aiming to unload a ton of picks for whoever we try to trade for.
nycericanguy

12/30/2023  1:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2023  1:07 PM
DLeethal wrote:Interesting. Sucks losing Quick and RJ. I'm happy RJ gets to play at home and Quick gets a chance to start on a team he should flourish with.

My takeaways:

We continue to double down on Thibs and his philosophy. Clearly defense was becoming a huge weak link for us. OG is one of the best defensive wings in the league. We had nobody to place on the Tatum/Butler's of the world and now we do.

We continue to double down on Brunson/Randle. I think Randle's resurgence probably gave the FO renewed faith in him. Randle and RJ was never a good fit long term, I've said that a million times. OG on paper is a good mix with those two guys.

The Villanova guys are here to stay, Brunson runs the show here. This rebalances the lineup in a way where all of our guys can get solid minutes.

I said recently I thought OG made the most sense in a Donovan Mitchell scenario. Interesting that we decided to keep all of our picks. I think he's still our top target, even more now than before.

Wonder if Flynn or Deuce gets the backup PG nod. Also wonder if we have plans to try and lure Rokas over now to take the backup PG spot. His agent recently said he wasn't coming over without a role for him here.

More Grimes, more OG, possibly a lot more Deuce. Our defense could become really good again.

yea trying to wrap my head around it.

Once we signed DDV kinda had to know the writing was on the wall for IQ, but wanted to think otherwise.

RJ just too up and down, I was fine moving on from him.

But OG is just a bit too injury prone and will command a huge deal.

I guess we decided to pay him $30m instead of paying RJ & IQ $50-55m and so that's understandable.

Does this leave us enough for Mitchell?

Grimes + picks is what we have now, not sure that gets it done. Could absolutely get Lavine though if he wanted to come here.

Like I said it makes us better but does it leave us enough to get much better?

nycericanguy

12/30/2023  1:08 PM
put it like this, trading for KP would have made us better than this while still keeping RJ & IQ.
DLeethal

12/30/2023  1:08 PM
franco12 wrote:
Garrett2010PSD wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:this is the kind of package that should have been used to get Mitchell or Mikal, not OG

My criticism is maybe they could have gotten a better player (like Mikal), but hope our FO checked and were rebuffed.

I think Mikal is as untouchable as a player can get for their respective team.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
12/30/2023  1:09 PM
Horrible awful trade! OG isn't even better than IQ let alone RJ! To trade both for him is one of the worst trades ever! I wanna cry!!
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/30/2023  1:09 PM
Our defense has been **** - this gives us 2 legit big/long wing defenders to play with and or sub for Julius.

When we get Mitch back that’s 2 legit front court defenders with OG.

Really would like to see Murray here —- maybe for Grimes and a pick or 2.

That would be a solid / balanced squad with offensive/defensive versatility.

Low key excited for Achiuwa and Flynn - both kids I liked coming into league——— think fans will like Precious.

DLeethal

12/30/2023  1:10 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Interesting. Sucks losing Quick and RJ. I'm happy RJ gets to play at home and Quick gets a chance to start on a team he should flourish with.

My takeaways:

yea trying to wrap my head around it.

Once we signed DDV kinda had to know the writing was on the wall for IQ, but wanted to think otherwise.

RJ just too up and down, I was fine moving on from him.

But OG is just a bit too injury prone and will command a huge deal.

I guess we decided to pay him $30m instead of paying RJ & IQ $50-55m and so that's understandable.

Does this leave us enough for Mitchell?

Grimes + picks is what we have now, not sure that gets it done. Could absolutely get Lavine though if he wanted to come here.

Like I said it makes us better but does it leave us enough to get much better?

Mitchell is close to being able to leave on his own free will. His price has come down a bit IMO. Fournier, Grimes, and the trove of picks for a Mitchell who will walk for free is the deal I think.

nycericanguy

DLeethal wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Garrett2010PSD wrote:

I think Mikal is as untouchable as a player can get for their respective team.

hope so, i hope we really tried on that front b/c Mikal is much better than OG, has the Nova connection, is on a fair deal, and the kicker is he's an iron man.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

Crazy this got done with the whole lawsuit going on real time.
Garrett2010PSD
Member: #9141
USA
A few are speculating that this could be a prelude to a trade for a star.

I sure hope so because this team just got worse IMO.

Maybe a package that includes Randle, Grimes, and a ton of draft capital for someone like DM?

Then I could live with this trade.

Garrett2010PSD
Member: #9141
USA
12/30/2023  1:12 PM
franco12 wrote:
Garrett2010PSD wrote:

I agree with you. This return just feels meh.

martin
USA
12/30/2023  1:13 PM
Knicks finalizing trade for OG: It’s bad - badass for Knicks, bad for rest of league BOO YA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy