[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[Game Thread 12/29/23 7PM] Knicks at Magic
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/30/2023  8:49 AM
at this point we probably need to draft a C as well. Mitch is just too unreliable to stay healthy, only played in 60 games once in the past 4 years now. Worse than even KP who people here didn't want because of injuries.

Gibson is washed and Sims just looks like an athlete not a basketball player.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/30/2023  8:54 AM
nycericanguy wrote:MIkal is really what this team needs, sucks he's on BK because another team likely trades him to us.

A high IQ, efficient shooter and defender who can score 20 any given night and defend multiple positions. Add in the whole connection with his Nova boys and it's just such a perfect fit.

we still wouldn't be on the BOS level but we'd be close enough that we could pull off an upset.

I'd give alot for MIkal at this point.

two of RJ, IQ or Grimes + 4 1sts. We practically have 3 1sts in just this draft alone. Trim the roster and open up more playing time for guys as well in the process.

Part of me wants IQ as an untouchable. Happy to trade RJ, and would love to get Mikal because then our transformation would be complete.

nycericanguy

12/30/2023  8:56 AM
franco12 wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:MIkal is really what this team needs, sucks he's on BK because another team likely trades him to us.

A high IQ, efficient shooter and defender who can score 20 any given night and defend multiple positions. Add in the whole connection with his Nova boys and it's just such a perfect fit.

we still wouldn't be on the BOS level but we'd be close enough that we could pull off an upset.

two of RJ, IQ or Grimes + 4 1sts. We practically have 3 1sts in just this draft alone. Trim the roster and open up more playing time for guys as well in the process.

Part of me wants IQ as an untouchable. Happy to trade RJ, and would love to get Mikal because then our transformation would be complete.

same but if BK wanted IQ you gotta do it.

Mikal is a guy you'd want to play 34mpg anyway so there would be even fewer minutes available for guys like IQ.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

12/30/2023  9:21 AM
I think this team is in trouble if they can't figure out a way to play good defense. I think they need to find a way to get a legit defense C stopgap - not Taj - even if they need to trade for that guy. Hartenstein is the best backup in the league maybe but his impact doesn't carryover to a larger role, with more mins and against starters.

It's a shame because Randle is playing best ball in a long time. But we just can't stop anybody.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
12/30/2023  10:45 AM
Tough loss but give Orlando credit. They are a team in our weight class and play that gritty physical tough style we USED to play. Banchero and Wagner are really good and just ate our lunch all game long. We had no answer for them. I was impressed with Bitadze! He plays physical and a little dirty but he'd be a good addition to pair with Hartenstein. But not sure he's on the market.

That second quarter was a killer. Had more turnovers than field goals and went like 6 minutes without a point and got down 20. Kudos for the comeback and making a game out of it. Randle was a monster but he had little to no help. Brunson struggled and it was frustrating to see him on his back after almost every drive without a call. RJ got it going in the second half but once again started off slow which is getting really old and frustrating. Nobody else really did nothing.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/30/2023  11:03 AM
Clean wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
franco12 wrote:Orlando was my sleeper team. They played a long stretch of 500 ball last year, but it was after they dug a deep hole at the start of the season.

It kinda hurts to think that both Orlando and OKC are going to have a higher ceiling than us.

I think if the Knicks bring in two good rookies at the center and forward spots with their first rounders and maybe some more depth with our second rounders and make a good trade we can be more dangerous. Key is our ceiling is limited by the coach

Franz & Bancero would both look just as GREAT with Thibs coaching them - it's not the coach we are lacking talent almost every night. Thibs has his flaws but he is squeezing as much as he can out of this squad - especially Jalen/Julius.

The refusal to have a legit vet big wing on our bench is mind boggling and the continued pushing of the RJ minutes is alarming.

Told yall about them regular season games and how it will make you forget everything. Randle has had 2 All NBA seasons. The regular season was never his problem. Like I said from the start of the season. Show me this in the playoffs without any effort issues and all will be forgiven. When teams gameplans for him everthing changes. The same goes for Quick.

Only ammo left for JR hate.

Who would you trade/replace him for? Someone who also averages double double, All Star. makes under $30, demands doubles and, as you said it, dominates in the playoffs?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/30/2023  11:04 AM
SergioNYK wrote:Tough loss but give Orlando credit. They are a team in our weight class and play that gritty physical tough style we USED to play. Banchero and Wagner are really good and just ate our lunch all game long. We had no answer for them. I was impressed with Bitadze! He plays physical and a little dirty but he'd be a good addition to pair with Hartenstein. But not sure he's on the market.

That second quarter was a killer. Had more turnovers than field goals and went like 6 minutes without a point and got down 20. Kudos for the comeback and making a game out of it. Randle was a monster but he had little to no help. Brunson struggled and it was frustrating to see him on his back after almost every drive without a call. RJ got it going in the second half but once again started off slow which is getting really old and frustrating. Nobody else really did nothing.

they are a class or two above us.

nycericanguy

12/30/2023  11:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2023  11:08 AM
franco12 wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:Tough loss but give Orlando credit. They are a team in our weight class and play that gritty physical tough style we USED to play. Banchero and Wagner are really good and just ate our lunch all game long. We had no answer for them. I was impressed with Bitadze! He plays physical and a little dirty but he'd be a good addition to pair with Hartenstein. But not sure he's on the market.

I disagree, credit to their defense they held everyone down except Randle, but that won't happen every game, especially Brunson. and if we had Mitch we probably win that game on their home floor anyway.

SergioNYK
USA
12/30/2023  11:09 AM
franco12 wrote:

Disagree. They are not in the same class as Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland or Miami. I think if we play Orlando in a playoff series, it's going 6 or 7 games.

nycericanguy

12/30/2023  11:11 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Disagree. They are not in the same class as Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Boston, Cleveland or Miami. I think if we play Orlando in a playoff series, it's going 6 or 7 games.

if we have Mitch, we win in 5.

ORL has a great future long term but right now we are a better team when healthy.

SergioNYK
USA
12/30/2023  11:13 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
franco12 wrote:

if we have Mitch, we win in 5.

ORL has a great future long term but right now we are a better team when healthy.

Agreed! With Rob we beat Cleveland and Orlando.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/30/2023  11:17 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Clean wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
franco12 wrote:Orlando was my sleeper team. They played a long stretch of 500 ball last year, but it was after they dug a deep hole at the start of the season.

It kinda hurts to think that both Orlando and OKC are going to have a higher ceiling than us.

I think if the Knicks bring in two good rookies at the center and forward spots with their first rounders and maybe some more depth with our second rounders and make a good trade we can be more dangerous. Key is our ceiling is limited by the coach

Franz & Bancero would both look just as GREAT with Thibs coaching them - it's not the coach we are lacking talent almost every night. Thibs has his flaws but he is squeezing as much as he can out of this squad - especially Jalen/Julius.

The refusal to have a legit vet big wing on our bench is mind boggling and the continued pushing of the RJ minutes is alarming.

Told yall about them regular season games and how it will make you forget everything. Randle has had 2 All NBA seasons. The regular season was never his problem. Like I said from the start of the season. Show me this in the playoffs without any effort issues and all will be forgiven. When teams gameplans for him everthing changes. The same goes for Quick.

Who would you trade/replace him for? Someone who also averages double double, All Star. makes under $30, demands doubles and, as you said it, dominates in the playoffs?

Second unit with RJ pulled down his -minus. They did well to limit Jalen.
Orlando is not a doormat anymore. They built thru the draft and got Bancharo a no. 1 pick. They are succeeding were Detroit has not.
Pistons one really can't faul the made the picks. Cade has yet to fulfill his draft position and IVEY is still raw. Hindsight is one thing and not to say they nave not made mistakes. ITs just compounding. Weird roster construction. Seems like the plan was draft, develop and then make some trades?

OKC is thriving as Chet is better than expected. Giddy is fading and they are getting near ready to condense some talent via trade. But it took years.

Massai in toronto gets the "Genius" five year free pass because he pushed the chips in on Kawahi and it paid off. If not.....and it was close, he'd be run out of town by now. They have a nice core but its not working. They let FVV walk for free. They gave up a pick for Poetl who is "Eh". Last few picks? Not working YET. Too soon? Maybe.
But he don't walk on water right now.

media had us at thinking Giannis or Embiid would shake lose. Then KAT. Those guys are doing well now.
RJ is not the only problem but perhaps on the surface he is not the answer.
I know some of you have answers which some are very interesting.
Curious if Thibs is the guy long term or was this just a 5 year thing thru next season. I think he has done a good job and earned an extension providing we don't fall apart. IN the age of parity we are a 4-7 seed in my book of expectations with Thibs and this roster.

HofstraBBall

12/30/2023  11:20 AM

Case of undervaluing our own and overvaluing others.
Mikal is a good player. But that many assets for a player that does not bring us elite 3pt shooting or has garnished the consistent stats to be considered a game changer would be a mistake.
His efficiency has decreased as his attempts have gone up over last couple of years.
He is perceived as better now because he put up almost 20 shots a game last year.
Not sure how you would get him that here?
Does fit in terms of history with JB, JHart and Devo.
But is that enough?

At the end of the day, we need a true number one. He is not that.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nycericanguy

12/30/2023  11:23 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Mikal is a good player. But that many assets for a player that does not bring us elite 3pt shooting or has garnished the consistent stats to be considered a game changer would be a mistake.
His efficiency has decreased as his attempts have gone up over last couple of years.
He is perceived as better now because he put up almost 20 shots a game last year.
But is that enough?

we wouldn't need him to score 20 here, he's better in a 17-18ppg role where he will shoot over 50% and close to 40% from 3 like he did in PHO and be able to expend more energy on defense.

he's absolutely a game changer, ask PHO fans how they'd undo that KD trade. but he's not a #1 like he's being asked to be in BK, or even a #2, he'd be perfect as the #3 option here.

HofstraBBall

12/30/2023  11:25 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

But is that enough?

we wouldn't need him to score 20 here, he's better in a 17-18ppg role where he will shoot over 50% and close to 40% from 3 like he did in PHO and be able to expend more energy on defense.

he's absolutely a game changer, ask PHO fans how they'd undo that KD trade. but he's not a #1 like he's being asked to be in BK, or even a #2, he'd be perfect as the #3 option here.

Not saying he is trash not that he is not a solid piece.
Saying 4 first plus IQ and Grimes for a role piece is crazy.

nycericanguy

12/30/2023  11:31 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

But is that enough?

at some point we gotta cash out some assets and trim the fat on the roster.

I don't think BK would trade us Mikal unless we overpaid unfortunately.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/30/2023  11:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2023  11:57 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Clean wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:

He’d replace him with Obi. The Obi that was held back by Thibs but is now unleashed in Indy.

HofstraBBall

12/30/2023  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2023  12:01 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

But is that enough?

at some point we gotta cash out some assets and trim the fat on the roster.

I don't think BK would trade us Mikal unless we overpaid unfortunately.

True in both. Was going to mention the Brooklyn obstacle on trades
Think that time is coming.
Just don't want all this patience wasted on guys who will not truly make a difference.
Especially when there are just no real options.
If you look at Mikal, like he did against us, seems like good teams can control him if needed.
Maybe it's watching so many Nets games or watching him go 4 for 21 against us recently. Kid likes to shoot, not sure if he can go back to role piece.

Think I am okay with FO continuing to build a young team and maintain assets if someone else gets desperate. I would have preferred for them to have used those assets to trade up in drafts. But I am sure they did and that is not exactly fool proof.
If you look at our roster, if we keep
RJ, JB, IQ, Grimes, MR, Devo, JHart, JB, IHart and JR, most are good YOUNG players with upside potential. Not terrible. Use the log jam at wong position to make a move WHEN a difference maker presents itself. Patience. Guess it's easier for fans who have been through a lot of years of dysfunction.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
12/30/2023  2:06 PM
I wonder if RJ's abysmal first half had anything to do with trade talks.

I was starting to think RJ simply had an undisclosed injury or something.

Well... won't have to wonder such things any more.

[Game Thread 12/29/23 7PM] Knicks at Magic

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy