[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article: "Knicks’ star search has hit Rich Paul roadblock they need to solve fast"
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/28/2023  9:23 PM
https://nypost.com/2023/12/27/sports/knicks-star-search-hits-rich-paul-roadblock-they-must-solve-fast/

It was an easy sell when they were hired, going on nearly four years ago, that Leon Rose and William Wesley would bring stars to the Knicks, attract blue chippers with their vast connections.

They were NBA power players for a long time, facilitators of relationships and contracts.

Wesley, in particular, carried the mystique of the unknown, the behind-the-curtain puppeteer who was nowhere and everywhere simultaneously.

It was only a matter of time until their combined Rolodex produced a superstar-laden roster.

Or so it seemed.

Today, the hypocrisy of that narrative, beyond the absence of the superstar windfall, is that one of the NBA’s biggest agencies, Klutch Sports, has made it clear it’d prefer not to do business with the Knicks front office, multiple sources confirmed to The Post.

From connectors to frozen out.

This theoretically applies to all Klutch clients, whether free agents or potential trade targets, including Chicago’s Zach LaVine and Atlanta’s Dejounte Murray. 

Found this on the front page, the entire article is worth checking out. Its a legitimate concern that the Knicks have been too close to CAA over the years. With that close a relationship, its fair to wonder why it has not paid more dividends for the Knicks. It has for CAA.

The article dicusses a possible clearing the air between Rose and Paul. If they cant, and we're stuck halfway to contention, then I wouldnt mind bringing Perry back as team president. And finding a GM with the credentials to attract the necessary talent. More Klutch friendly.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/28/2023  10:08 PM
Maybe it's a problem. But, honestly, I'm not that worried. Aside from Lebron and AD, I don't really covet anyone on the Klutch roster. Also, I wonder how much of this is BS. Is Rich Paul fuming because we didnt give Cam Reddish much burn? Frankly, Cam still hasn't done much to show he deserved much playing time. I think it says as much about the Lakers bias towards Klutch that Cam is being forced into the starting lineup in the first place.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/28/2023  10:35 PM
I agree- it is kinda BS. if I’m a player and Rich Paul has the Knicks on the no friends list, he is doing me a giant disservice.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/29/2023  12:19 AM
CAA did help with the whole Brunson thing.

There are no CAA clients that are either attainable - like LeBron or AD - or worth it - like LaVine.

Mostly a big who cares?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

12/29/2023  7:45 AM
Leon being Brunson's Godfather helped with the whole Brunson thing.

Not long after Mike Woodson was hired as Head Coach, he fired his long time agent and signed with CAA. Read the article. They have a long track record of poaching clients not long after they become part of the Knicks org..

If you headed one of the rival agencies, would you willingly send the Knicks your best players?

After almost 4 years of whiffing on Superstars, its fair to ask one of the most connected persons in the NBA why he cant close the deal? Thats why he was hired, not his experience running an NBA team.

A lot of this is on Dolan because he empowers CAA to have this much sway over the organization.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/29/2023  8:08 AM
martin wrote:CAA did help with the whole Brunson thing.

There are no CAA clients that are either attainable - like LeBron or AD - or worth it - like LaVine.

Mostly a big who cares?

My biggest fear when Leon was hired was that he would be exactly what this article claims he has not.
That being someone who ONLY brings in big names.
That would have made us Cleveland, Atlanta or Chicago.
Instead, he has done a great job putting together a well valued roster, kept young assets and stayed away from splashy costly signings. AKA, experience professional FO guy.
Paul can keep complaining about ONE guy not willing to overpay for his clients.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
DLeethal
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9126

12/29/2023  8:58 AM
There will always be biases involved with star chasing. Some stars want NY for various reasons, other stars don't want to touch that spotlight or pressure. Some of these biases might be agent driven. Nothing really new. There is probably a "Klutch" group of stars who might be harder to get. Then there are the CAA connected guys like Donovan, Booker, KAT who might be easier to get. We got our current star in Brunson partially due to the ties to Leon.

Also, if players want to come here and think Rich Paul is stonewalling them, they will just switch agents. OG is one who switched to CAA I think during Knicks trade rumors.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

12/29/2023  8:59 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:CAA did help with the whole Brunson thing.

Mostly a big who cares?

My biggest fear when Leon was hired was that he would be exactly what this article claims he has not.
That being someone who ONLY brings in big names.
That would have made us Cleveland, Atlanta or Chicago.
Instead, he has done a great job putting together a well valued roster, kept young assets and stayed away from splashy costly signings. AKA, experience professional FO guy.
Paul can keep complaining about ONE guy not willing to overpay for his clients.

Yea the first thing I thought when reading this was "maybe that's a good thing" as it has allowed us to build a really good roster from the ground up the conventional way and not gutting it for B-level stars like we always have in the past.

GustavBahler

12/29/2023  9:31 AM
Its been 20 years since a team won a chip without a Superstar. Im not in the you can keep your Superstar, I'll take a second round exit-camp.

I dont see any other franchise in bed with an agency like the Knicks are with CAA, with no tangible results. If CAA had pull with other teams, like they do with the Knicks. We would have won a chip in the decades that they have embeded themselves to this franchise.

Its been almost 4 years and the best showing we've had is a second round exit. Problem is that Dolan has his playoff revenue, he doesnt want to do anything to put that at risk. Which might mean we're back to where we were in the early 2000s..not good enough to contend, not bad enough to snag a high pick.

Next season should be this FO's last one to prove it can do better than every other regime since the one that gave us the 99' squad. So far it hasnt.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

12/29/2023  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/29/2023  9:51 AM
not losing sleep over that list, and if someone really wants to come here they will.

Every team has connections, we are CAA and it helped net us Brunson who is better for us and our situation than anyone on that entire list.

Murray doesn't excite me and doesn't elevate our tier.

People go so hard on RJ but they want DJ who is just as inefficient, older, more expensive, and smaller.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/29/2023  10:34 AM
This renewed Cold War is mainly due to the Reddish situation.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/29/2023  12:02 PM
Knixkik wrote:This renewed Cold War is mainly due to the Reddish situation.

Which is ridiculous. Cam Reddish is shooting 40% overall and 30% from 3.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/29/2023  2:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Leon being Brunson's Godfather helped with the whole Brunson thing.

Not long after Mike Woodson was hired as Head Coach, he fired his long time agent and signed with CAA. Read the article. They have a long track record of poaching clients not long after they become part of the Knicks org..

If you headed one of the rival agencies, would you willingly send the Knicks your best players?

After almost 4 years of whiffing on Superstars, its fair to ask one of the most connected persons in the NBA why he cant close the deal? Thats why he was hired, not his experience running an NBA team.

A lot of this is on Dolan because he empowers CAA to have this much sway over the organization.

You know what Dolan wants or conjecture based on old lazy bull****.
Brunson came here because his dad, His god father, and coach.
He came here cuz knicks paid 104mil.
CAA consiracy is overblown.
True, Leon made enemies when he ran it but thats 5 years. Remember when this level of gullible parrot bs was about "Leon gonna over pay for his cronies and get them paid". Did that happen?
YOu want to fire them because in 5 years you don't have a starphuch to whine about?
And what did we do for Reddish? gave him an opportunity and he failed. Then we Traded him where Portland gave him an opportunity. He did not do great did he? Remember folks blamed Thibs for ruining him? ATL? Oh that.
Lavine? Fuck that.
Murry is an ******* who pop wanted gone. Arrogant young man who runs his mouth. He is not doing well helping ATL win does he?
Knicks went to finals in 99 and then faltered.

One should understand MSG is more than knicks and rangers. Its many venues require talent and CAA is a talent agency that Leon was part owner of and sold 5 years ago. You want to do concerts? Shows? Etc, you deal with CAA. Its not JUST about basketball players. Thats why Dolan works with them. The Sphere, LA Forum, Radio city, theatre in Chicago, ets. ALL MSG owned.
Maybe Gustav you thought Leon was hired to bring in stars. Maybe Media fed you that and you ate it.
Maybe it a nice fable then. But it sure did not happen. Your make it like team is faltering. Are they?

GustavBahler

12/29/2023  3:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/29/2023  3:51 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Leon being Brunson's Godfather helped with the whole Brunson thing.

You know what Dolan wants or conjecture based on old lazy bull****.
Brunson came here because his dad, His god father, and coach.
He came here cuz knicks paid 104mil.
CAA consiracy is overblown.
True, Leon made enemies when he ran it but thats 5 years. Remember when this level of gullible parrot bs was about "Leon gonna over pay for his cronies and get them paid". Did that happen?
YOu want to fire them because in 5 years you don't have a starphuch to whine about?
And what did we do for Reddish? gave him an opportunity and he failed. Then we Traded him where Portland gave him an opportunity. He did not do great did he? Remember folks blamed Thibs for ruining him? ATL? Oh that.
Lavine? Fuck that.
Murry is an ******* who pop wanted gone. Arrogant young man who runs his mouth. He is not doing well helping ATL win does he?
Knicks went to finals in 99 and then faltered.

One should understand MSG is more than knicks and rangers. Its many venues require talent and CAA is a talent agency that Leon was part owner of and sold 5 years ago. You want to do concerts? Shows? Etc, you deal with CAA. Its not JUST about basketball players. Thats why Dolan works with them. The Sphere, LA Forum, Radio city, theatre in Chicago, ets. ALL MSG owned.
Maybe Gustav you thought Leon was hired to bring in stars. Maybe Media fed you that and you ate it.
Maybe it a nice fable then. But it sure did not happen. Your make it like team is faltering. Are they?

Nalod, old lazy bull**** is you taking my criticism of people you dont know personally. Which you always do. The same condescending tone and boilerplate response that all of a sudden becomes reasonable after the fact.

Like your decades long defense of Mills of all execs. But you didnt quit there. We had to hear about what a genius Phil was while he was phoning it in from Montana.

We all know Dolan has other things going with CAA, more than enough revenue to stop treating the Knicks like its their turf.

Leon was brought here to bring in superstar talent, he knows everyone, but that hasnt made a difference.

Saying as a fan that 5 years is enough time for this FO to contend, shouldnt get anyone upset. But of course you did Nalod.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/30/2023  8:51 AM
While my faults are many, I don't pretend on a regular basis to know what others are thinking and the past repeats itself, or the present is extrapolated into the future. In other words little imagination applied to a future unknown.
Mills was bought in after the Isiah era (includes Grunwald) and he bought in to install the Mckinsey study Dolan paid for to attempt to run the team with a corp management approach. Good idea that did not execute on the court but set the franchise proper to stop trading picks and build a base. Mills lasted a few months when Dolan under enormous public pressure became enamored with Phil. Again, good idea that did not execute. Phil was not an executive in hindsight. He thought team could build a base while making playoffs with Melo, The Woodson era ended because the team was old as dirt. The triangle era had yielded a chip just 5 years prior but quickly became antiquated and not duplicated by others. If you predicted this good for you. You the man. Phill did not trade picks or starphuch and left the franchise in a position to build on. He was spot on for wanting to trade KP at the peak before he got hurt. Mills inherited KP with a bad knee but he did hire Scott Perry who proved capable for the times.

Leon era has been different than media feeding that he'd bring in "STARS" because he was hooked up. Instead he bought in two who became Allstars in Randle and Now Brunson.
I don't remember your position on Thibs but I suspect you parrot the popular notion of him being one and only a antiquated defensive guy who now has evolved the team into one that is not. You speak at times like you know the teams inner directions. You don't. I get pissy to those who think they do. My weakness.

Leon has not been full 5 years either. And its not that your upset for team timeline but its not realistic given the unique circumstances of where the team was in year one.
Thibs was hired and he is in his 4th season. Thats three full seasons and one third thus far, not five.
Have all the hissy fits you want but if your not factual, well then its speaks for itself without labels.

Article: "Knicks’ star search has hit Rich Paul roadblock they need to solve fast"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy