[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Devo needs more minutes!
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/31/2023  10:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2023  10:19 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:Well let DDV play the 1 and 2 off the bench. If we don't trade for a another SG I guess Grimes will get his chance as well to play more

Why? With OG he will be one of two with incredible percentage from corners?
Gives Randle and JB ability to work the middle.
If Grimes had put up 38 ,like Devo did last night, most on here would be proclaiming Grimes an All Star.

Grimes has already proved he did not have the aggressiveness to play with the first unit. He is already playing a bit better in the second unit. With IQ no longer the lead scorer in second unit, gives him a chance to be that.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

12/31/2023  10:42 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Well let DDV play the 1 and 2 off the bench. If we don't trade for a another SG I guess Grimes will get his chance as well to play more

If Grimes had put up 38 ,like Devo did last night, most on here would be proclaiming Grimes an All Star.

Grimes has already proved he did not have the aggressiveness to play with the first unit. He is already playing a bit better in the second unit. With IQ no longer the lead scorer in second unit, gives him a chance to be that.

IQ was a creator off the bench. I can see DDV doing that a d not Grimes. If we get a bigger wing for the SL who can shoot and switch on defense with more size that is ideal for this NBA. I'm not saying DDV is a scrub. Make DDV the back up 1 and 2 with who we bring in. Knowing how this front office and it's ways they likely won't make another big trade and will likely see how the teams present construction looks in the playoffs. I only expect a move to add a center unless Prescious can hold down the small ball 5 role. I'd like a bigger wing to start and use DDV on the bench.

MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
12/31/2023  10:52 AM
IQ as a starter last year in 22 games

22.6pts 5.4rbs 5.1ass

Pretty legit numbers and worth $22-25MM in todays NBA. Still would have been better value signing long term.

HofstraBBall

12/31/2023  10:53 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

IQ was a creator off the bench. I can see DDV doing that a d not Grimes. If we get a bigger wing for the SL who can shoot and switch on defense with more size that is ideal for this NBA. I'm not saying DDV is a scrub. Make DDV the back up 1 and 2 with who we bring in. Knowing how this front office and it's ways they likely won't make another big trade and will likely see how the teams present construction looks in the playoffs. I only expect a move to add a center unless Prescious can hold down the small ball 5 role. I'd like a bigger wing to start and use DDV on the bench.

Some good points. Was never big on taking guys out of roles they are flourishing in.
Or putting players in roles they are not comfortable in.
DDV is playing really well at starting SG, why change that?

Plan may be to put Flynn in backup PG role. Which is his position. Deuce is also a natural PG?

I like Grimes but feel he needs to improve his handle, drive to basket and aggressiveness. Keeping him in second unit and forcing him to be the guy, will help him.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

12/31/2023  10:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2023  11:02 AM
MS wrote:IQ as a starter last year in 22 games

22.6pts 5.4rbs 5.1ass

Pretty legit numbers and worth $22-25MM in todays NBA. Still would have been better value signing long term.

Agreed. (Broken record) Would have been nice to see a SL of MR, JR, OG, IQ, JB.
But we needed a player like OG. Feel Raptors did not want to do deal without him included. I am sure the Knicks tried some package of Grimes, Deuce etc.

Knicks just did not think IQ was worth the money or a starting role. May have sites on a guy like DM or Murray to fill that SL SG spot. Disagree but we improved at SF. Hopefully OG will take less to continue to build and we get someone to replace IQs production. Either internally or via FA/trade.

Alpha1971

12/31/2023  11:03 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Some good points. Was never big on taking guys out of roles they are flourishing in.
Or putting players in roles they are not comfortable in.
DDV is playing really well at starting SG, why change that?

Plan may be to put Flynn in backup PG role. Which is his position. Deuce is also a natural PG?

I like Grimes but feel he needs to improve his handle, drive to basket and aggressiveness. Keeping him in second unit and forcing him to be the guy, will help him.

Grimes has really regressed and DDV has been inconsistent this season. Both are 6'4" shooters and are redundant. Give up Grimes in a trade and upgrade the position.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/31/2023  11:31 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall

12/31/2023  1:10 PM
martin wrote:

I would love to believe that Grimes is a guy the front office truly believed was the guy they needed to make room for. As mentioned, feel they probably tried to include him but he just has not performed like someone who would still garnish much interest.

My metric for good players is two. Guys that ACTUALLY put up numbers. And dogs that take advantage of the opportunity and limelight in the MECCA!
Devo, JB, JR, IQ filled both. Grimes not well enough.
Hoping OG meets the criteria.

Alpha1971

12/31/2023  2:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2023  2:52 PM
Did working out with JJ Reddick mess up Grimes ? He has not been good. As beautiful as his jumpers form looks the actual results have been ugly. Is he playing hurt ?
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

12/31/2023  2:56 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:

I would love to believe that Grimes is a guy the front office truly believed was the guy they needed to make room for. As mentioned, feel they probably tried to include him but he just has not performed like someone who would still garnish much interest.

My metric for good players is two. Guys that ACTUALLY put up numbers. And dogs that take advantage of the opportunity and limelight in the MECCA!

Grimes put up numbers last season while anchoring the defense when he got 30mpg.

We just created a crowd and I knew it was going to become an issue.

Take a look at last season Grimes vs OG

https://stathead.com/tiny/tgZTj

OG's numbers are better, he also played alot more minutes. looking at PER 36 narrows the gap even further.

I do wonder if Grimes couldn't just be our big wing defender at a fraction of the cost and we could have used RJ & IQ for another trade.

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

12/31/2023  2:57 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:Did working out with JJ Reddick mess up Grimes ? He has not been good. As beautiful as his jumpers form looks the actual results have been ugly. Is he playing hurt ?

I think he's a rhythm guy, he took off last season when he started getting big consistent minutes. I think it's hard for him to find a rhythm in sporadic minutes.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/31/2023  3:37 PM
Grimes stepping up and thriving in the wake of the trade would be real sweet but I won't get my hopes up too high.
Alpha1971

12/31/2023  3:54 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Grimes stepping up and thriving in the wake of the trade would be real sweet but I won't get my hopes up too high.

Yeah, unless his D is elite and he is hitting 37 percent or higher from 3. He needs to be an elite 3 and D guy. He is not a 3 level scorer or a creator. But I hope he can show out for a few weeks so he can raise his trade value

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/31/2023  4:52 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:

Grimes put up numbers last season while anchoring the defense when he got 30mpg.

OG's numbers are better, he also played alot more minutes. looking at PER 36 narrows the gap even further.

I do wonder if Grimes couldn't just be our big wing defender at a fraction of the cost and we could have used RJ & IQ for another trade.

You want both Grimes AND OG next to Brunson. That's the dream. With Embiid.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall

1/1/2024  8:18 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:

OGs 7'2 wingspan and consistency from three is hard to compare.
Disagree clog hurt but you want the type of player that meets the challenge.

I still believe in Grimes. Just feel his play this year does not deserve the starting nod. Do I believe he can get it back, hoping. Keep saying the easiest place to earn it is the less pressured second unit. Place where he will get more shots. Especially with IQ gone.

HofstraBBall

1/1/2024  8:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/1/2024  9:12 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:

After letting emotions settle down, I still have little confidence of what the plan is. Feel as though the front office has decided either of 3 things. All very different options.

1. They felt the main pieces on the Knicks were not team oriented.
RJ, Randle and IQ too shot first and lacked defensive ability. (Isn't JB that as well?) So they pivot by adding guys like JHart, Devo, OG. Teams guys that play defense and move the ball.
They trade RJ and IQ then look to add a star with Randle and picks.

2. They did not see RJ as a SF on a chip team. (Which may be the right thinking but why not play him at his natural position of SG? Defensive challenges?) so they make the move for OG and look to add a final piece. IQ was a casualty due to monetary restrictions that would have jeopardized getting that piece. So now they put all their draft assets on the table and get that star? Grimes? MR?

3. If we are honest, we may still need SEVERAL pieces. An upgrade at the Center position, SG position, backup PG position. Top teams have centers that can defend but also are a big part of the offense. They have elite SG/stars that can take over a game. We now need what IQ was. Solid instant offense off the bench that can hold down the scoring while the starters are getting a rest and close games out for starters having off games.

Will be interesting to see where we are headed. Thought I knew the answer to that Friday.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
1/1/2024  10:53 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:

After letting emotions settle down, I still have little confidence of what the plan is. Feel as though the front office has decided either of 3 things. All very different options.

1. They felt the main pieces on the Knicks were not team oriented.
RJ, Randle and IQ too shot first and lacked defensive ability. (Isn't JB that as well?) So they pivot by adding guys like JHart, Devo, OG. Teams guys that play defense and move the ball.
They trade RJ and IQ then look to add a star with Randle and picks.

2. They did not see RJ as a SF on a chip team. (Which may be the right thinking but why not play him at his natural position of SG? Defensive challenges?) so they make the move for OG and look to add a final piece. IQ was a casualty due to monetary restrictions that would have jeopardized getting that piece. So now they put all their draft assets on the table and get that star? Grimes? MR?

3. If we are honest, we may still need SEVERAL pieces. An upgrade at the Center position, SG position, backup PG position. Top teams have centers that can defend but also are a big part of the offense. They have elite SG/stars that can take over a game. We now need what IQ was. Solid instant offense off the bench that can hold down the scoring while the starters are getting a rest and close games out for starters having off games.

Will be interesting to see where we are headed. Thought I knew the answer to that Friday.

Doesn't mean much at this point but disagree that RJ is a natural SG. Seems much more like an old school SF from the 90's with a broken shot.

HofstraBBall

1/26/2024  8:35 AM
Any questions?
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

1/26/2024  10:21 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:Did working out with JJ Reddick mess up Grimes ? He has not been good. As beautiful as his jumpers form looks the actual results have been ugly. Is he playing hurt ?

I think he's a rhythm guy, he took off last season when he started getting big consistent minutes. I think it's hard for him to find a rhythm in sporadic minutes.

He shooting is still find. He been around 38% on good volume all year. He's been bad from 2 this year but generally fans just like to jump on the end of the rotation guys unless they play like MVPs. they never will because they aren't that good and it really hard to be consistent in limited mins. Grimes is a good basketball player who has had some trouble getting comfortable b/c he got squeezed. He hasn't been terrible though.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

1/26/2024  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2024  10:28 AM
martin wrote:

I didn't think he could be this good. I thought he was probably and equal player to Grimes and Deuce but he is having an GREAT season. I don't think people realize how elite his shooting has been. He is taking over 12 3s per 36 and making 42%. That not just good that historically good. Like only guys like Curry and Dame do that ****.

Devo needs more minutes!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy