[Game Thread 12/11/23 @ 7:30PM] Knicks vs Raptors
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/12/2023  10:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2023  10:26 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
Clean wrote:

The player we need starting is that Bojan guy on Detroit. He will hit open 3's no matter the situation or amount of touches he gets. He could get the starters to mesh better on offense.

It’s difficult to mesh when 1,2 or 3 players are pounding the rock at any given moment but I do like Bogey

Yes it is.

AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/12/2023  10:26 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:OG had a nice game, he also played 37 minutes and took 20 shots, that wouldn't happen here.

Give IQ or RJ 37 minutes and 20 shots and they'll score alot too. OG's numbers have always been a bit inflated due to high minutes and shot attempts.

OG is definitely not a shot creator as far as I can tell, but he definitely shoots at a much better clip than IQ/RJ.

I mean OG for his career is 38% from 3 but only 1.7 makes per game in 33mpg.

IQ is at 37% with 1.9 makes per game in just 24mpg.

RJ makes 1.7 three's in 33mpg at 35% for his career.

so yea OG shoots it a bit better, but also on low volume.

And RJ and IQ get to the FT line alot more.

So I think it's role more than anything, OG like you said isn't a creator so he gets to pick his spots more and is a bit more efficient. If you played IQ and RJ in that role they'd probably be more efficient too.

OG is just solid all around but he's not a game changer for us. IQ is already better IMO, Grimes could be better, and RJ is better too... I mean RJ & OG play different roles so I guess it's a matter of preference. but OG is a 7 year player who has played a ton of minutes and games already so he pretty much is what he is. I think we all hope there's more room for growth from our youngins.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/12/2023  10:28 AM
Any correlation to 36 assists and no pitch fork hands Mitch tonight?

Probably not but offense looked a little better.

When we have bench group in there it’s clear Thibs offense is not the issue as ball/players move freely — it’s the type of players in unit 1 that slow the movement

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/12/2023  10:37 AM
LivingLegend wrote:Any correlation to 36 assists and no pitch fork hands Mitch tonight?

Probably not but offense looked a little better.

When we have bench group in there it’s clear Thibs offense is not the issue as ball/players move freely — it’s the type of players in unit 1 that slow the movement

Mitch would have to average 5/6 TOs a game for that to be the case. Sims did a great job filling in, but he isnt a DPOY candidate, which Mitch was headed for, before he got hurt. If Sims were more of a scorer, that would be something to talk about.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/12/2023  10:41 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:OG had a nice game, he also played 37 minutes and took 20 shots, that wouldn't happen here.

Give IQ or RJ 37 minutes and 20 shots and they'll score alot too. OG's numbers have always been a bit inflated due to high minutes and shot attempts.

OG is definitely not a shot creator as far as I can tell, but he definitely shoots at a much better clip than IQ/RJ.

So I think it's role more than anything, OG like you said isn't a creator so he gets to pick his spots more and is a bit more efficient. If you played IQ and RJ in that role they'd probably be more efficient too.

OG is just solid all around but he's not a game changer for us. IQ is already better IMO, Grimes could be better, and RJ is better too... I mean RJ & OG play different roles so I guess it's a matter of preference. but OG is a 7 year player who has played a ton of minutes and games already so he pretty much is what he is. I think we all hope there's more room for growth from our youngins.

Do eFG% or 2pt% for all 3 and it seems to tell a different story. There is no doubt they have different roles and a different type of usage.

OG can be a very very good man defender. He can disrupt guys like Tatum, Embiib, Jimmy, and others in a way IQ, RJ cannot. And when the playoffs come, that too is important.

He is also a lower usage player, and maybe that is a good thing long term for others in his rotation.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nycericanguy

12/12/2023  10:45 AM
martin wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
martin wrote:

Do eFG% or 2pt% for all 3 and it seems to tell a different story. There is no doubt they have different roles and a different type of usage.

OG can be a very very good man defender. He can disrupt guys like Tatum, Embiib, Jimmy, and others in a way IQ, RJ cannot. And when the playoffs come, that too is important.

He is also a lower usage player, and maybe that is a good thing long term for others in his rotation.

TS% will also tell a different story as it includes FT's.

There's no question OG has shot the ball better, my point was it's probably more to do with role.

I agree though a lower usage player wouldn't be a bad thing. If OG wasn't so injury prone and wasn't a pending FA i'd probably want him here if it were a straight swap.

Problem is TOR hates us and probably would want young player + multiple picks that will take us out of the running for a true star trade later.

Chandler
Member: #6197

12/12/2023  10:49 AM
OG would be a nice complement to our team but only at the right/modest price. He's a piece (but not a center piece) to a serious contender. Robert Horry vibes
(5)(5)
nycericanguy

12/12/2023  10:52 AM
in a vacuum RJ for OG would be a great trade.

but RJ is younger, will be cheaper, is a workhorse and has upside potential.

OG is older, will cost more, misses alot of games, and TOR probably wouldn't do it straight up b/c they overvalue their players.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2023  12:15 PM
OG is an Igudala type player of sorts.
Fuck That Raptors "hate us". fact is, we hate them too and maybe we don't work that deal which at the end of the day is petty for both sides if the trade is whats in the best interest of the team.
Tell me what Massai is doing and objectives to rebuild then we can understand what is the best trade for them.
As for us, OG has been the object of our trade goals via media but obviously Leon is not giving them the story. RJ for him straight up im not sure moves the needle. We gain some aspects and lose others. RJ has been near brilliant especially in Thibs rotation wear he bridges the 1st and second units and does it well. OG as shot creator does not do this.
Raptors use him as a spot up shooter and he killed it last night from the left corner. On offense this role is Grimes for now.
At this time we have surplus of guards, not SF. If Randle needs time off the floor OG can fill that position some.
DLeethal
Member: #9126

12/12/2023  12:31 PM
I don't think it's that concerning that the starting 2 gets neutered while playing with Brunson/Randle/RJ. Most teams with "star" offensive players have a couple guys who get freezed out and are there to hit open shots off kickouts. Whoever plays in the starting lineup is going to turn into a 3&D guy. That's just reality, and not necessarily a bad thing as long as the unit plays well overall. We have 3 guys who can get buckets and they favor isolation to do it, so the 4th guy is going to be a kickout-for-3 guy. You can name 20 teams that probably do the same thing in the starting lineup and find guys who play the "Grimes role" for those respective teams.

Josh Hart was a monster last night. He is the reason for our assist totals. He looked like Draymond Green out there, getting boards and pushing tempo off rebounds, creating great ball movement and opportunities. It was wonderful to see. Brunson-RJ-Hart-Randle-Hartenstein lineup actually looked really good out there to finish the game.

My biggest concern right now is defense. We aren't a good team if we are giving up 130 per game. That's not the identify we should be going for or the optimal way for us to win games. We need to be a top 5-10 defensive team.

DLeethal

12/12/2023  12:32 PM
RJs 3 point shooting continues to probably be the gift of the season. Combined with DDV replacing Obi, the Knicks have turned into a really good 3 point shooting team.
DLeethal

12/12/2023  1:14 PM
I honestly think we should go back to the Grimes starting unit. We need his size and defensive ability. DDV is scrappy but Grimes is a legitimate defensive weapon you can put on the teams best player. I'm not sure why we made a change so abruptly tbh.
nycericanguy

12/12/2023  1:34 PM
DLeethal wrote:I honestly think we should go back to the Grimes starting unit. We need his size and defensive ability. DDV is scrappy but Grimes is a legitimate defensive weapon you can put on the teams best player. I'm not sure why we made a change so abruptly tbh.

i agree long term, but short term it was a good wakeup call to Grimes I think.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

12/12/2023  1:37 PM
DLeethal wrote:I don't think it's that concerning that the starting 2 gets neutered while playing with Brunson/Randle/RJ. Most teams with "star" offensive players have a couple guys who get freezed out and are there to hit open shots off kickouts. Whoever plays in the starting lineup is going to turn into a 3&D guy. That's just reality, and not necessarily a bad thing as long as the unit plays well overall. We have 3 guys who can get buckets and they favor isolation to do it, so the 4th guy is going to be a kickout-for-3 guy. You can name 20 teams that probably do the same thing in the starting lineup and find guys who play the "Grimes role" for those respective teams.

Josh Hart was a monster last night. He is the reason for our assist totals. He looked like Draymond Green out there, getting boards and pushing tempo off rebounds, creating great ball movement and opportunities. It was wonderful to see. Brunson-RJ-Hart-Randle-Hartenstein lineup actually looked really good out there to finish the game.

My biggest concern right now is defense. We aren't a good team if we are giving up 130 per game. That's not the identify we should be going for or the optimal way for us to win games. We need to be a top 5-10 defensive team.

this didn't start when we added the 3rd high-usage guy. I agree with what you are saying about Hart though. He has shown the ability to make the unit move at times (regardless of who is out there)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2023  2:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2023  2:27 PM
DLeethal wrote:I honestly think we should go back to the Grimes starting unit. We need his size and defensive ability. DDV is scrappy but Grimes is a legitimate defensive weapon you can put on the teams best player. I'm not sure why we made a change so abruptly tbh.

Grimes could not hit a shot.
Thibs places more value on who finishes the game vs. start.
DDV defense is very good.

DLeethal

12/12/2023  3:08 PM
EwingPSD wrote:
DLeethal wrote:I don't think it's that concerning that the starting 2 gets neutered while playing with Brunson/Randle/RJ. Most teams with "star" offensive players have a couple guys who get freezed out and are there to hit open shots off kickouts. Whoever plays in the starting lineup is going to turn into a 3&D guy. That's just reality, and not necessarily a bad thing as long as the unit plays well overall. We have 3 guys who can get buckets and they favor isolation to do it, so the 4th guy is going to be a kickout-for-3 guy. You can name 20 teams that probably do the same thing in the starting lineup and find guys who play the "Grimes role" for those respective teams.

this didn't start when we added the 3rd high-usage guy. I agree with what you are saying about Hart though. He has shown the ability to make the unit move at times (regardless of who is out there)

When did it start? Didn't EF break the Knick record for 3s a couple years ago when we sucked. There's always been shots there for a shotmaker. There's less now, but they are still there for a shotmaker.

DLeethal

12/12/2023  3:10 PM
Nalod wrote:

DDV defense is good, his feel for the game on both ends is really good, but he's small and he's not really a guy who is going to disrupt a teams best wing IMO. Especially wings with any size.

I understand Grimes couldn't hit a shot. But I would rather get back to playing ugly than give up 130 per game.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/12/2023  4:17 PM
Nalod wrote:

I agree. I think DDV is good enough defensively to hold up. He fits better with the starters and Grimes actually gives the bench a boost I think.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

12/12/2023  4:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2023  5:27 PM
DLeethal wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:

When did it start? Didn't EF break the Knick record for 3s a couple years ago when we sucked. There's always been shots there for a shotmaker. There's less now, but they are still there for a shotmaker.

When they drafted Trent Tucker. You're right though the 21-22 starting unit played with pace and shared the ball. the team’s pace and ball movement didn’t/doesn't change dramatically based on whether one player is/was on the court

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
12/12/2023  4:47 PM
martin wrote:

I wonder how Sims would play if he wasn't so baked.

[Game Thread 12/11/23 @ 7:30PM] Knicks vs Raptors

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy