[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks and the upcoming trade market...
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/8/2023  4:05 PM
KnickDanger wrote:A lot of impatience percolating particularly after bad losses like the one to the Bucks. Multiple trade threads, revival of Thibs grumbling, searching for new scapegoats while Randle plays well. And of course the "getting a star" talk - business as usual. I'm on board with improving the team - who isn't? But the do something/anything reflex over staying the course revives my pre-Rose/Thibs PTSD. I am trusting the brain trust to continue to not cave in to the mob. Trust them to make moves that are prudent if not of the shiny toy variety, just as they have. Enjoying being in play and not LOL knicks.

The litmus test will be come playoff time. If the bed is crapped then get noisy I say. For the time being I choose to enjoy the upward trajectory, as others have mentioned. And the rest will do what they always do.

Amen

AUTOADVERT
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

12/8/2023  8:59 PM
KnickDanger wrote:A lot of impatience percolating particularly after bad losses like the one to the Bucks. Multiple trade threads, revival of Thibs grumbling, searching for new scapegoats while Randle plays well. And of course the "getting a star" talk - business as usual. I'm on board with improving the team - who isn't? But the do something/anything reflex over staying the course revives my pre-Rose/Thibs PTSD. I am trusting the brain trust to continue to not cave in to the mob. Trust them to make moves that are prudent if not of the shiny toy variety, just as they have. Enjoying being in play and not LOL knicks.

The litmus test will be come playoff time. If the bed is crapped then get noisy I say. For the time being I choose to enjoy the upward trajectory, as others have mentioned. And the rest will do what they always do.

You entered the season believing the 9 man rotation was elite. Just because the Knicks have been terrible for two decades and Leon Rose and Co have brought the team to respectabality doesn't entitled them to your first born. It's like a battered woman that left an abusive husband being grateful to have a distant and neglectful man cause he doesn't mistreat her physically. It's ok to expect the front office to be more creative and aggressive while respecting what they have done well.

Alpha1971

12/8/2023  9:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/8/2023  9:13 PM
nycericanguy wrote:

Amen

Amen is for praying about important things like life and death and not 🏀 basketball. The team has had holes all preseason. Been saying it since the preseason, we can beat weaker teams but don't have the versatility to beat better teams. Other better teams invest in more depth and variety of players the we did. Very little creativity shown by the front office who seem content to make one move per season. Look at Boston they traded established players like Smart and let Grant Williams walk and took a risk to bring in KP and Jrue. Look at Milwaukee they took the risk to trade Holiday and Allen to take a shot on Lilard. Think the Knicks would have done the same thing with our front office would have done the same thing ? I'm grateful the front office has improved the team but I don't owe them unquestioned loyalty. They were not good this off-season

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

12/8/2023  11:14 PM
Knicks are 12-4 against teams that aren't Milwaukee or Boston. The front office made a calculated risk that depth will win out over the course of the season. Maybe Knicks falter in the playoffs. Maybe guys like Embiid, Holiday, Porzingis, Middleton, or Lopez go down with injuries at some point. Indiana beats Boston without KP and Milwaukee looked gassed in the 4th. If Knicks only lose to the well rested and full strength teams at the top of the conference, there's still hope. Let's see how the record looks in a month before giving up on the under 25 IQ and Grimes for guys who are pushing 30.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/8/2023  11:33 PM
Nalod wrote:Remember when KAT was not good enough for us.
Dude is having really good season and Minny is on the rise.
Remember when we laughed that Orlando would suck. They don't.
Nobody had Indy doing well, but we all know each year teams in the new parity era can and will.
Last year we were that team.
We take Randle for granted.
No villainous teams really. Draymond is hated but Curry is beloved.
hard to root for any team that has Harden.
Remember when we thought IQ was better than Maxy? Time tells. He was the 21st pick. Maxey had to wait his turn but when it came he is ready and will be paid big time for it.
Fans can't predict what they can't see. Enjoy the process...........
Im happy for Indy fans. something to cheer about.
Lakers? Hated them for decades. now, I just admire what lebron is doing and enjoy the history he makes.
Got to find joy in the game besides knicks short comings and trade dreams.
one day before I die, I want to see a parade down broadway......

We do take Randle for granted and yet at the same time the guy sucks and he’s fools gold.

Julius is both super talented and super meh when it comes to basketball decision making / effort.

IQ is winner of dribble air out of ball contest - he’s going to Vegas.

fwk00
Member: #6048

12/9/2023  1:09 AM
Look, we are closing in on perpetual mediocrity hell - never bad enough to get a great pick and never good enough to matter.

IMO, I would approach Toronto with an offer of RJ, Grimes and Jeffries for Trent, Young and Achiuwa.

No superstars involved but better roster balance for NY.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

12/9/2023  2:42 AM
fwk00 wrote:Look, we are closing in on perpetual mediocrity hell - never bad enough to get a great pick and never good enough to matter.

IMO, I would approach Toronto with an offer of RJ, Grimes and Jeffries for Trent, Young and Achiuwa.

Do you believe the Knicks are capped out in terms of potential? Knicks squad as is can stay together for two more seasons without hitting up against any salary cap walls whereas the Celtics and Bucks will have severe restrictions starting next season due to punitive measures against teams past the second apron. Ditto for Minnesota and Denver out West. If Knicks lock up the 4 or 5 seed and make it to the second round again, that's an organizational win. Once the playoffs start it's very difficult to predict what happens because a key injury can swing a series vs. the regular season where there's usually time to overcome it.

If Giannis doesn't get injured in the first round, Bucks might have been able to win a second championships. Instead, coach gets fired and Boston and Milwaukee go all in.

shinmen
Member: #6029
France
12/9/2023  3:09 AM
Let's not forget strength of schedule. We have a very difficult schedule until January. In January, we should be able to win a lot of games against.
Look at Orlando's schedule until now. It's not as difficult as ours. They have some nice victories but let's see after the all star break to assess a team's trajectory.
We still need to face the fact that we are not a contending team now. It should be expected that we lose more games against elite teams.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/9/2023  4:16 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Amen

Amen is for praying about important things like life and death and not 🏀 basketball. The team has had holes all preseason. Been saying it since the preseason, we can beat weaker teams but don't have the versatility to beat better teams. Other better teams invest in more depth and variety of players the we did. Very little creativity shown by the front office who seem content to make one move per season. Look at Boston they traded established players like Smart and let Grant Williams walk and took a risk to bring in KP and Jrue. Look at Milwaukee they took the risk to trade Holiday and Allen to take a shot on Lilard. Think the Knicks would have done the same thing with our front office would have done the same thing ? I'm grateful the front office has improved the team but I don't owe them unquestioned loyalty. They were not good this off-season

Milwaukee has been contending and has chip.
Boston has been knocking the the door a few years.
With had core proven players that were traded as you said.
Knicks don't have that base. Boston still has Tatum and Brown,
Milwaukee kept Bropez who is under rated, Middleton, and that Giannis guy. Who goes in a Lillard trade or what's left if you bring in KP and Holliday. We are respectable team but we are not winning a chip when the best players are Brunson, Randle, and RJ.
OR Brunson, Lillard, and Randle.
Or Brunson, Randle, RJ and Jrue Holiday.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/9/2023  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2023  11:13 AM
Alpha1971 wrote:

You entered the season believing the 9 man rotation was elite. Just because the Knicks have been terrible for two decades and Leon Rose and Co have brought the team to respectabality doesn't entitled them to your first born. It's like a battered woman that left an abusive husband being grateful to have a distant and neglectful man cause he doesn't mistreat her physically. It's ok to expect the front office to be more creative and aggressive while respecting what they have done well.

You lost me, man. Never did I feel we were elite and never did I say so. And the first born and domestic abuse metaphors…well anyway….

Forgive me for seeing the many positives. You feel free to put your focus wherever you like, say, on Tari Eason. That'll solve it!

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/9/2023  11:52 AM
martin wrote:Lots of good stuff in this article

https://theathletic.com/5121511/2023/12/08/knicks-nba-trade-market/

The Knicks know they need a star to take them into the stratosphere of the Bucks and Boston Celtics, but their outlook right now remains the same as it was coming into training camp: They don’t anticipate a worthwhile big name becoming available during the season. However, other types of moves, maybe smaller ones to improve the team in the short term before that faceless star hypothetically arrives, can come.

Next week provides an important marker around the NBA: Dec. 15, the day that most players who signed free-agent contracts this past offseason are eligible to be traded.

Deals don’t normally come until winter. The trade deadline is not until Feb. 8. But for now, here is what I’m hearing about the Knicks as trade season approaches:

• The Knicks have made it clear to other teams that they want a star, league sources said, but they also don’t expect one to become available in the middle of the season.

[snip]

• There are people inside the Knicks front office who understand that a too-many-guys situation could be brewing, according to league sources.

[snip]

• The Detroit Pistons, owners of the NBA’s worst record and an 18-game losing streak, have expressed that it would take a large offer to acquire 20-point scorer Bojan Bogdanović, league sources said. The situation with Bogdanović is akin to the one with Jerami Grant from a couple of seasons ago, when Grant had two years remaining on his contract and Detroit held onto him despite its losing record. The Pistons eventually flipped Grant for a late first-round pick once the rangy forward was in the final year of his deal.

Bogdanović makes $20 million this season and is non-guaranteed for $19 million in 2024-25.

• Maybe the most common question asked around the league is: What do the Toronto Raptors do? Toronto has three consequential players — Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby and Gary Trent Jr. — on expiring deals and is treading around .500 for the second consecutive season. The Knicks made a play for Anunoby last winter, league sources said, but Toronto never engaged in serious discussions to trade away the two-way stud. Anunoby made his first-ever NBA All-Defense team in 2022-23 and should be headed for another in 2023-24 if he keeps up this level of play.

We are close but we can't beat elite teams. We need a SG. Maybe a new center

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/9/2023  11:54 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:The small smart moves for better roster construction is swapping Hartenstein for a C/PF that can hit threes and free throws. And swapping Grimes for a natural 3&D SF/PF.

A combo forward is the teams biggest need.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/9/2023  12:16 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:

I don’t get your repeated posts against the 9 man rotation- what’s your point and what rotation are you proposing?

fwk00

12/9/2023  1:39 PM
gradyandrew wrote:
fwk00 wrote:Look, we are closing in on perpetual mediocrity hell - never bad enough to get a great pick and never good enough to matter.

Do you believe the Knicks are capped out in terms of potential? Knicks squad as is can stay together for two more seasons without hitting up against any salary cap walls whereas the Celtics and Bucks will have severe restrictions starting next season due to punitive measures against teams past the second apron. Ditto for Minnesota and Denver out West. If Knicks lock up the 4 or 5 seed and make it to the second round again, that's an organizational win. Once the playoffs start it's very difficult to predict what happens because a key injury can swing a series vs. the regular season where there's usually time to overcome it.

If Giannis doesn't get injured in the first round, Bucks might have been able to win a second championships. Instead, coach gets fired and Boston and Milwaukee go all in.

Yes. I think they are spinning their wheels a bit. There is an urgency that's real in upping their talent base which is broad but teases mediocrity.

You're counting on grinding out a playoff spot which is certainly possible but then you *hope* bad luck will strike the others. Okay we win a few playoff games - not so good drafting position - rinse and repeat.

My suggested trade (or something very much like it) is buying low on Trent who I think is in a rut in Toronto. Trent could free up Quickly to start. Grimes wouldn't be missed (and I like Grimes but he's not part of that ingrown Villinova cohort).

Achiuwa is a young SF who has more upside than our current tweeners.

Young is the backup we need - a journeyman who is solid.

RJ is the sacrifice but he's Canadian and will be a great big star up North.

My other wishful trade idea is dealing for Thybulle from Portland for Grimes and some picks. He's a defender, played for a contender and adds immediate credibility to that SF position. I'm a big fan.

fwk00

12/9/2023  1:43 PM
I should also add that as much as superstars matter there is a corollary universe in which who fields the best *team* matters as well. Knicks are in the conversation here. Tweaking the team instead of pretending a savior exists is more constructive.
TheMTL
Member: #9140

12/9/2023  2:12 PM
I'm all for being patient. Remember the Isiah Thomas years where we went after anyone and everyone. It was a mess. We need to wait for the right guy. Every year there's always a huge name and we are permed with assets to make it happen.
fwk00

12/9/2023  2:18 PM
TheMTL wrote:I'm all for being patient. Remember the Isiah Thomas years where we went after anyone and everyone. It was a mess. We need to wait for the right guy. Every year there's always a huge name and we are permed with assets to make it happen.

Patient for exactly what? Existing assets have a shelf-life and a meantime between failure (Ewing).

Nobody who is considered a star is coming. Yes. Stuff happens but nobody is getting younger and the rest of the contenders are uncanny in getting the goods they need,

Isiah rolled the dice and lost but rolling the dice is how it works.

Alpha1971

12/9/2023  7:01 PM
Nalod wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:

Amen

Milwaukee has been contending and has chip.
Boston has been knocking the the door a few years.
With had core proven players that were traded as you said.
Knicks don't have that base. Boston still has Tatum and Brown,
Milwaukee kept Bropez who is under rated, Middleton, and that Giannis guy. Who goes in a Lillard trade or what's left if you bring in KP and Holliday. We are respectable team but we are not winning a chip when the best players are Brunson, Randle, and RJ.
OR Brunson, Lillard, and Randle.
Or Brunson, Randle, RJ and Jrue Holiday.

Point I raised is Leon Rose is super risk averse. Had we been Milwaukee or Boston they would have never made the moves they made because they would have talked themselves out of moves for fear of being second guessed. They operate as if other teams aren't trying to improve and their moves are set against a static back drop.

Alpha1971

12/9/2023  7:03 PM
TheMTL wrote:I'm all for being patient. Remember the Isiah Thomas years where we went after anyone and everyone. It was a mess. We need to wait for the right guy. Every year there's always a huge name and we are permed with assets to make it happen.

We are primed and ready to learn " Leon Rose is monitoring the situation " nothing more.

Alpha1971

12/9/2023  7:05 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:

I don’t get your repeated posts against the 9 man rotation- what’s your point and what rotation are you proposing?

Reference is to since the preseason many posters seem to express the need to add depth to the team is a waste of time because Thibs has his 9 man rotation already. It's been repeated so often that I simply mock it.

Knicks and the upcoming trade market...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy