[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The I love Brunson "But" thread......
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2023  11:14 AM
There was no player over 6'2 drafted last season.
We have centers with PG skills in this era.
Unicorns are a real thing now.

I love brunson but......He is 27. Next year he is still signed but has a player option for year 4.
But.....

Mike Bibby
Baron Davis
Marbury
Tiny archibald

Few that come to mind that peaked at our near age 28. Bibby reminds me a bit of JB. Strong kid with strong fundamentals. All these guys came in with high draft status and did reach all star status. JB was national player of the year but did not fit the mold of the modern player. He was a 4 year player, short but strong.
JB efforts and tenacity are incredible. Hard to not love him. But how long can he beat that body up? When a short players loses a step, like Kenny anderson and Brandon Jennings they can still be good, but not allstar good. In an era were money matters because you can't tie up with dead contracts, its a consideration.

What to do? Im not sure. I really enjoy this team were Randle and Brunson are a the peak of their powers. RJ is close, but still 23. Nobody, even RJ should be off the table. Im not saying to trade anyone but you don't turn away a crazy offering if it can set up a good run.
If im playing pretend GM I have to consider Brunson not at this level but perhaps a 15-17ppg guy longer term. What he wants, how he sees his career, and longevity is in his hands.

Brunson is the heart and soul of this team. But.......

AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/6/2023  11:33 AM
there's no but, he's a very young 26 with very few miles on him. Really almost unheard of low mileage b/c he stayed in college 4 years and played sporadically early in his NBA career. His game is based on IQ, elite footwork and elite shooting. He has a long 7-10 years ahead of him at a high level.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/6/2023  12:14 PM
The only "but" I have with him is that he should look to get other players more involved.
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

12/6/2023  12:20 PM
You know what they say about "a bird in the hand"?

Right now, there are no "buts" re: JB. His intangibles are off the charts and he's our best overall performer, clutch time or otherwise.

That said, never say "never". No untouchables on this team if the right deal emerged to transform the NYK into a perennial contender. But that would have to be an LBJ type player imho.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/6/2023  12:24 PM
Can’t say a negative thing about Brunson. He’s the real deal and just entering his prime. His outside shooting has taken a major step forward I didn’t expect.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/6/2023  12:30 PM
Nalod wrote:There was no player over 6'2 drafted last season.
We have centers with PG skills in this era.
Unicorns are a real thing now.

I love brunson but......He is 27. Next year he is still signed but has a player option for year 4.
But.....

Mike Bibby
Baron Davis
Marbury
Tiny archibald

Few that come to mind that peaked at our near age 28. Bibby reminds me a bit of JB. Strong kid with strong fundamentals. All these guys came in with high draft status and did reach all star status. JB was national player of the year but did not fit the mold of the modern player. He was a 4 year player, short but strong.
JB efforts and tenacity are incredible. Hard to not love him. But how long can he beat that body up? When a short players loses a step, like Kenny anderson and Brandon Jennings they can still be good, but not allstar good. In an era were money matters because you can't tie up with dead contracts, its a consideration.

What to do? Im not sure. I really enjoy this team were Randle and Brunson are a the peak of their powers. RJ is close, but still 23. Nobody, even RJ should be off the table. Im not saying to trade anyone but you don't turn away a crazy offering if it can set up a good run.
If im playing pretend GM I have to consider Brunson not at this level but perhaps a 15-17ppg guy longer term. What he wants, how he sees his career, and longevity is in his hands.

Brunson is the heart and soul of this team. But.......

I can kinda see the see the Mike Bobby comps, but I honestly see JB having more in common with guys like Billups, Lowry, Andre Miller and Sam Cassell. We'll never truly know until he gets there, injuries notwithstanding.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/6/2023  12:35 PM
As I said last season. Brunson puts his body on the line like few PGs. That we need to make the most of JBs prime years by building a contender ASAP.

Ive been on board with Leon being patient. But another season with an early exit. No big trade made this season or offseason. Then Leon should be on the hot seat next season.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

12/6/2023  12:43 PM
No "buts" he is a ****ing star the only reason this team is a lock to finish 500 or better
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/6/2023  12:57 PM
Panos wrote:The only "but" I have with him is that he should look to get other players more involved.

Same. Think he can get there too but it'll be another year or so.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
12/6/2023  2:57 PM
I hope he can have the career Kyle Lowrey had.
lets just put it out there, I expect a drop off during his next contract.
The question becomes about windows of contention. We have Jules and Brunson both
That he is not a high flyer type helps.
Life is full of risks. JB has exceeded most of our expectations thus far.
No hate here. Just conversation. Bruns and Randles contract both have player options they can opt out after next year.
You can love JB all you want but can't be blind to realities.
Lowrey was older when Toronto let him walk for big money. Reality is Miami drafts Herro and Bam to compliment Jimmy and they done well with support formula getting their kind of guys.
Even Miami knows when to reboot a bit. I just wonder what some of you think the window is for Jules and Brunson.
Reality is our roster is nice. Im good with our progress.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/6/2023  3:24 PM
I don't think there is a but with Brunson. He is an All-NBA player in my book. The problem we have right now is that we don't have a 2nd player that can consistently give us 25+ points per game. Sometimes it's Randle then it's RJ. However, there are times both are off. Not sure what we can do. Either we trade for a top 10 player or we pray and hope that RJ keeps getting better. I think Randle has reached his limits. We have the best version of Randle and it's not going to get better.
Nalod
USA
12/6/2023  3:50 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I don't think there is a but with Brunson. He is an All-NBA player in my book. The problem we have right now is that we don't have a 2nd player that can consistently give us 25+ points per game. Sometimes it's Randle then it's RJ. However, there are times both are off. Not sure what we can do. Either we trade for a top 10 player or we pray and hope that RJ keeps getting better. I think Randle has reached his limits. We have the best version of Randle and it's not going to get better.

This year its not by position so its top 15 players in the league. Jules won't make it under this new classification.
You got Jalen as top 15 player in the league?

Ant Edwards
Luka
SGA
Curry
Tatum
Embiid
booker
Morant (He won't qualify this year)
Giannis
Lillard
Lebron
Jokic
Dm
Jaylen Brown
Fox
Kyrie
Haliburton
Ant davis
Booker
Maxy
Bam
Kat
Durant
Kawhai
Zion
Paul George
Mikal
Brunson

Objectively, not all will play 65 games. This is a list of 28 players that are or have been, are still relevant, and could be.
Some like Mikal and Brunson are knocking on the door. Ant Edwards is the best player on a 1st place team. Maybe Fox falls?
If kyrie, whom I don't care for plays enough games and does it well, is viable. Not all on this list make others better. Jalen is a bit narrow minded on the court. He is a winner thru his career and I love the guy.
But.........

Im just being objective.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/6/2023  4:28 PM
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

On your list, these are the players that I think is better than Brunson. In no particular order.

Luka
Curry
Tatum
Embiid
Lillard
Giannis
Lebron
Jokic
Booker
Durant

The rest I would say is the same or lower than Brunson.

I think I am being objective. Then again I am a Knick fan. so...

nycericanguy
Member: #9127

12/6/2023  4:32 PM
Nalod wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I don't think there is a but with Brunson. He is an All-NBA player in my book. The problem we have right now is that we don't have a 2nd player that can consistently give us 25+ points per game. Sometimes it's Randle then it's RJ. However, there are times both are off. Not sure what we can do. Either we trade for a top 10 player or we pray and hope that RJ keeps getting better. I think Randle has reached his limits. We have the best version of Randle and it's not going to get better.

This year its not by position so its top 15 players in the league. Jules won't make it under this new classification.
You got Jalen as top 15 player in the league?

Ant Edwards
Luka
SGA
Curry
Tatum
Embiid
booker
Morant (He won't qualify this year)
Giannis
Lillard
Lebron
Jokic
Dm
Jaylen Brown
Fox
Kyrie
Haliburton
Ant davis
Booker
Maxy
Bam
Kat
Durant
Kawhai
Zion
Paul George
Mikal
Brunson

Objectively, not all will play 65 games. This is a list of 28 players that are or have been, are still relevant, and could be.
Some like Mikal and Brunson are knocking on the door. Ant Edwards is the best player on a 1st place team. Maybe Fox falls?
If kyrie, whom I don't care for plays enough games and does it well, is viable. Not all on this list make others better. Jalen is a bit narrow minded on the court. He is a winner thru his career and I love the guy.
But.........

Im just being objective.

those guys are not all better than Brunson.

Nalod
USA
12/6/2023  5:07 PM
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/6/2023  5:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2023  5:53 PM
I think there’s 15-20 players better than Brunson. No more than that are capable of carrying a good team though. And Brunson is a top 10 closer.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/6/2023  5:57 PM
What I know is Brunson is a Knick and the others are not.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/6/2023  8:59 PM
I hope the Front Office can talk Fournier, draft picks & perhaps a player or two like Grimes or IQ or McBride or maybe RJ and package up a trade that lands us a legitimate star- not necessarily better than Brunson, but someone with some length and size that can impact the game positively for us.

And I kinda think it has to be this year- because the window is small.

I’m a bit disappointed because I feel like maybe we were outcouched by the Bucks, as well as out played and out sized.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/6/2023  9:36 PM
Brunson is the best thing that has happened to the Knicks since Ewing.

He is a legit star who is a team leader and mentally unflappable.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/7/2023  8:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/7/2023  8:45 AM
Totally disagree with any doubts or thoughts that he will decline any time soon.
When we first signed him I thought it was a bad fit. Ball pounding PG that rarely passes the ball.
However, this kid is a dog. Loves the limelight and pressure. Has the clutch gene. Just exceeded all expectations. Also feel he still has a lot of growth to go. Still learning how to lead a team. All I see is a chart that is steadily climbing with no signs of dropping.
For me, a better comparison is Lowry.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
The I love Brunson "But" thread......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy