[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Reward for the IST? 5 Games vs. Milwaukee
Author Thread
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

12/2/2023  1:25 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-knicks-lakers-qualifying-for-in-season-tournament-knockout-stage-isnt-all-good-news/

I thought this was a good take on once again an easily correctable issue resulting from the IST. Obviously if the Knicks go on to win it, it's the best idea ever, but with that caveat it seems like a lot more effort has been spent hyping this thing up rather than on execution.

To whit, Silver has been talking about this since he took over but somehow the whole court design gimmick was rushed through in the days just before. Only a very specific sub- set of players have complained about the courts being slippery with dead ball areas, that sub-set being guys who have recently inked long term max deals.

The point differential aspect has also been a travesty for anyone taking a look. Orlando finished their games early so they got to watch from home as Boston fouled Andre Drummond to run up the score. When I think of Andre Drummond I only want to think of two things: how did a rebound and passing machine become a minimum salary player just as he hit his prime and a million questions about his brief fling with iCarly (when he got on his knees to propose to be her boyfriend, was he still a foot taller (also, on your knees to propose to a girlfriend, oh to be 20 again!) and (how to put this delicately?) how did his fifth appendage compare to her torso?). A cap on the point differential could have easily solved these problems and saved DeRozan from being humiliated in the basketball town he saved from its post Vinsanity funk by the Raptors needlessly pursuing points when they were already eliminated.

And to the thread title, couldn't a late season matchup between the Bucks and Knicks just be cancelled in lieu of the Knicks playing 3 road games in Milwaukee? This doesn't seem so complicated to me. Granted there will always be differences in which conferences non division rivals play 4 vs 3 games but 5 vs the top teams seems like it's enough to cause major problems come playoff seeding time. Of course this could all have been avoided by just grouping the teams by division rather than the semi random method decided on, but that would have interfered with next seasons monetized hour of Silver picking logos from a box.

Next time I hear that "for all it's problems, the IST is pretty awesome" from some overpaid shill, remind me to pour a stuff drink. Unless, of course, the Knicks win.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2023  10:27 AM
And yet the controversy has created increased ratings and fan interest. Tournaments are not fair. Its what makes them fun.
LOng season and seedings in playoffs promote the deservings teams.

The courts were done in August but some were not have correct measurements and in the days leading up to it needed repair.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/3/2023  2:25 PM
I could think optimistically for once and say Knicks hailing to play extra game or games against Bucks &/or Celtics could be to their advantage come playoffs because as the underdogs in either series we’d at least be very familiar with best way to defend each team. That works both ways but I think more important to underdog team.
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

12/3/2023  2:34 PM
i do think maybe these games shouldn't count in the standings. The initial ones sure, but these where you had to qualify perhaps no? Because an extra game @ MIL could have huge playoff seed implications later on.
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
12/3/2023  2:42 PM
nycericanguy wrote:i do think maybe these games shouldn't count in the standings. The initial ones sure, but these where you had to qualify perhaps no? Because an extra game @ MIL could have huge playoff seed implications later on.

I think that will be #1 on the tweaks made before next year's tournament.

EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
12/3/2023  3:24 PM
I’m fine with 5 games vs the Bucks. I actually think we have their number. We’ve lost our fair share, but man, Giannis seems to hate going up against Randle.
This is the Randle.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2023  10:44 PM
nycericanguy wrote:i do think maybe these games shouldn't count in the standings. The initial ones sure, but these where you had to qualify perhaps no? Because an extra game @ MIL could have huge playoff seed implications later on.

so does mailing in vs a **** team on the road and getting your ass handed by a lessor opponent.
And it happens to most teams once a season.

Im ok with it all because "to be the man, you have play the man!"
Hope this team can put a great one together and put "Fear IN the Dear"

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/4/2023  2:56 PM
Martin, or anyone who paid attention, were there games scheduled for this week at the start of the season and the schedule was changed to accomodate the knock-out teams, or was it a blank slate and the whole league's games for this week determined after the group round was complete? I didn't notice.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/4/2023  3:07 PM
Panos wrote:Martin, or anyone who paid attention, were there games scheduled for this week at the start of the season and the schedule was changed to accomodate the knock-out teams, or was it a blank slate and the whole league's games for this week determined after the group round was complete? I didn't notice.

This week every team had a hold for 2 games for the tourney and they were just scheduled.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
lurts
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3190

12/4/2023  7:22 PM
I suggest that if there is a tie at the end of the year, the team that went to the tournament (or advanced farther) gets the higher playoff seeding.
LivingLegend
Member: #1645

12/4/2023  11:03 PM
I think this one is going to come down to Knicks vs Refs in 4th - do we have enough to overcome the baloney Greek/Dame whistle’s.
Knicks Reward for the IST? 5 Games vs. Milwaukee

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy