[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The evolution of RJ Barrett
Author Thread
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

11/14/2023  4:41 PM
VDesai wrote:His shooting form is WAYY better and more fluid and so is his confidence. No hesitation or jerk in the release and we've actually seen him step up and volunteer to shoot a technical FT too. That said - he improved his shot in the 2020 season (40% from 3 and 75% from FT) and then it fell off in 2021/2022 so it's hard to say whether we should buy into it for the whole season just yet.

Not sure I see the change you are talking about - I've seen the full hold the hand high on plenty of bricks and airballs in the past - I just think he's making buckets and maybe that is indeed because he's worked to shoot better but someone would have to show me some clips of how his stroke is new/different.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/15/2023  7:43 AM
LivingLegend, food for thought: "The Evolution of RJ Barrett's Jump Shot"

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
LivingLegend
Member: #1645

11/15/2023  10:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2023  10:20 AM
martin wrote:LivingLegend, food for thought: "The Evolution of RJ Barrett's Jump Shot"

Martin - I did watch the entire clip and I’m a fan of Prez at the Strickland but I think he’s reaching here with his RJ takes and missing RJ’s primary issue altogether.

The notion that shooting from a lower release point - elbow below.at shoulder doesn’t ring true - pull up images of Curry, KD, R-Allen and look at their elbows far extended over their shoulders. The point being a high release clears the ball from blocking your vision of the basket.

I think you can pick.choose any # of shots/images where the release point looks low because the ball always has to go from low to high in the motion.

I think big issue with RJ is his position of his off-hand which is often towards the top of the ball and or the off hand is too dominant- rather than flat/soft at the side of the ball. When your off hand moves off the side it can affect direction control of the shot. His shooting elbow sometimes flares out as well which leads to some of the clunky mechanics some mention when describing RJ. In the picture shown of RJ shooting above his off hand is on top of the ball - that is wrong and can lead to that hand pulling down and impairing flight of the ball.

I don’t know - RJ is obviously a hard worker and again I personally don’t see a significant difference over time —- IMO you want to see him with a high release and finish (clear of his eyes). Maybe bigger point Prez mentioned was his wider base which allows more up/down body position rather than drifting.

Shooting is very complicated but simple at same time —- you may see something obvious that I just don’t- thanks for the tape.

martin
USA
11/15/2023  10:26 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
martin wrote:LivingLegend, food for thought: "The Evolution of RJ Barrett's Jump Shot"

Martin - I did watch the entire clip and I’m a fan of Prez at the Strickland but I think he’s reaching here with his RJ takes and missing RJ’s primary issue altogether.

The notion that shooting from a lower release point - elbow below.at shoulder doesn’t ring true - pull up images of Curry, KD, R-Allen and look at their elbows far extended over their shoulders. The point being a high release clears the ball from blocking your vision of the basket.

I think you can pick.choose any # of shots/images where the release point looks low because the ball always has to go from low to high in the motion.

I think big issue with RJ is his position of his off-hand which is often towards the top of the ball and or the off hand is too dominant- rather than flat/soft at the side of the ball. When your off hand moves off the side it can affect direction control of the shot. His shooting elbow sometimes flares out as well which leads to some of the clunky mechanics some mention when describing RJ. In the picture shown of RJ shooting above his off hand is on top of the ball - that is wrong and can lead to that hand pulling down and impairing flight of the ball.

I don’t know - RJ is obviously a hard worker and again I personally don’t see a significant difference over time —- IMO you want to see him with a high release and finish (clear of his eyes). Maybe bigger point Prez mentioned was his wider base which allows more up/down body position rather than drifting.

Shooting is very complicated but simple at same time —- you may see something obvious that I just don’t- thanks for the tape.

I don't know anything about shooting and shooting mechanics, so I don't really have anything to add.

Having said that, his shot just looks different to my eyes this year. Maybe it's the new season cool aid but it just feels and looks more fluid.

Time will tell.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/15/2023  11:54 AM
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I don't know anything about shooting and shooting mechanics, so I don't really have anything to add.

Having said that, his shot just looks different to my eyes this year. Maybe it's the new season cool aid but it just feels and looks more fluid.

Time will tell.

Just of the eye test, his shot looks more compact and has less moving parts. He has a shorter hop and his legs don't look as wide on the set up. Maybe it's me, but I thought his release point is a little lower one the pull up. Whatever works. One thing that sticks out is his craft in the paint. Almost reminds me of Jalen Rose with the left hand floaters.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

11/16/2023  2:03 PM
it started last season. whatever it is -- even if it's a superstition -- it seems to be working.
(5)(5)
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/16/2023  8:18 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Time will tell.

Just of the eye test, his shot looks more compact and has less moving parts. He has a shorter hop and his legs don't look as wide on the set up. Maybe it's me, but I thought his release point is a little lower one the pull up. Whatever works. One thing that sticks out is his craft in the paint. Almost reminds me of Jalen Rose with the left hand floaters.

I believe those historically ugly takes to the rim were mostly the byproduct of bad footwork. Up until late last season, RJ's main way to attack the rim was a bee-line, ending with him trying to bank a shot just above the rim, and rimming out.

Now RJ is attacking from different angles. He's using all of the glass when he attempts a bank shot. Being able to bank a shot off the dribble, even up and under buckets. Once RJ's footwork improved, the rest of his body was better squared for a shot attempt. Without overstating it, I see more finesse in RJ's game.

As far as his jumper, I see less aiming, more confidence in his shot. Oakley did the same thing, until he developed a reliable corner jumper.

Philc1
Member: #8897

11/19/2023  5:42 AM
LivingLegend wrote:Not jumping on this RJ is great now bandwagon --- just yet.

I love the results but really don't see much if any change to the game --- he's making shots.

We've seen him go thru big swings before --- even season to season but again I don't see him moving quicker, faster on either end of the court - he's just scoring efficiently (which is great).

Hope he keeps it up - he mostly plays smart and is showing decent effort defensively - he is easy to root for -- hope this is all legit and is repeatable for next 8-10 years.

I’ve been sitting on the bandwagon for the past 4 years. It’s nice and comfy

martin
USA
11/25/2023  11:26 AM

martin
USA
11/25/2023  12:00 PM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/25/2023  1:27 PM
Kid came up big last night when needed.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

11/25/2023  1:30 PM
Glad we didn't dump him. Glad we didn't pick Zion or Ja.
GustavBahler

11/25/2023  4:13 PM
RJ's development

martin
USA
11/29/2023  8:47 AM
Been a little rough shooting since the migraines
GustavBahler

11/29/2023  8:53 AM
martin wrote:Been a little rough shooting since the migraines

RJ has made some clutch 3s though. And his takes to the rim still look better careerwise. Might take some time to get back in rhythm.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/29/2023  8:57 AM
martin wrote:Been a little rough shooting since the migraines

he was on a roll.. hard to stay on a roll...

that said, let's see how quickly he can turn it around. I think most of us want him to be more consistent over a large chunk of time. I think he's better this year, guess we'll find out if that's true now

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/29/2023  9:19 AM
Was he on some super supplement that caused the migraine?
Or is he on some migraine med that is throwing him off?
This kid was killing it and now looks like a version of RJ we are suspect of.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
11/29/2023  3:07 PM
His shooting is off but I'm impressed with his FT shooting, he has made huge strides there and was getting to the line often. Way softer on his touch and he's getting more bounces.
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

11/29/2023  5:15 PM
RJ has been great ... If he plays like this from now on without further improvement, he is very good for us. Time for Grimes to shake off his current problems and reach his ceiling
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/29/2023  6:16 PM
He’s still inefficient and inconsistent but the free throw shooting has been a really important step and seems here to stay for the most part.
The evolution of RJ Barrett

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy