[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: Wemby rolls into town, 730 ESPN
Author Thread
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

11/9/2023  10:40 AM
What a great win!

Hobie is getting old. There were a couple of mixups he had a long the way. I just think we get spoiled with Clyde and Mike, no other crew can come close to those too. Not having Doris on a broadcast is a big win regardless.

I don't think the schedule eases up at all. The next stretch is 5 games over 7 days. Knicks are firing on all cylinders so hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

What a difference Randle makes! He's got his mojo back and has been taking good shots the past two games. His All Star years both involved him converting a bunch of difficult shots, if he's able to get consistent looks driving towards the basket, he could be in line for another career year.

Can't say enough about RJ putting it together on offense. He's becoming the player we need. Brunson also got a bunch of clean looks from 3.

8 games in and I don't even remember what the fuss was about trading Obi. Knicks look like they have built a winning team for the long haul.

Still gotta stick with Thibs mantra of one game at a time.

AUTOADVERT
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

11/9/2023  10:44 AM
gradyandrew wrote:What a great win!

Hobie is getting old. There were a couple of mixups he had a long the way. I just think we get spoiled with Clyde and Mike, no other crew can come close to those too. Not having Doris on a broadcast is a big win regardless.

I don't think the schedule eases up at all. The next stretch is 5 games over 7 days. Knicks are firing on all cylinders so hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

What a difference Randle makes! He's got his mojo back and has been taking good shots the past two games. His All Star years both involved him converting a bunch of difficult shots, if he's able to get consistent looks driving towards the basket, he could be in line for another career year.

Can't say enough about RJ putting it together on offense. He's becoming the player we need. Brunson also got a bunch of clean looks from 3.

8 games in and I don't even remember what the fuss was about trading Obi. Knicks look like they have built a winning team for the long haul.

Still gotta stick with Thibs mantra of one game at a time.

i know, i noticed it too and Breen had to step in and Hubie almost seemed a bit annoyed by it.

Sad to see, Hubie has always been one of my favorite commentators, love the knowledge he shares of the game. Even if he's slipping, like Clyde, I'm happy to listen to him as much as possible.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/9/2023  10:58 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:You are all weird! I love blowout wins! So relaxing and fun!

Agree. I turn it off to regain my serenity when we blow a lead.

Serenity Now!

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
DLeethal
Member: #9126

11/9/2023  11:06 AM
Mitch is probably the (very) early favorite for DPOY. He's been a force. Looks like a man amongst boys and has more offensive rebounds then most teams.

RJ is looking like he's ready to step into our #2 option role and looks nearly all star caliber so far. He's got a different hitch in his shot this year and it's working.

If Randle can figure out how to perform well without dominating the ball and slowing the game down, we are pretty dangerous.

In general, last years team wasn't great on D and figured out how to be a top offensive team without good shooting. That was cool but a Thibs team is probably at it's best when it's a top defensive team. Maybe this year we have a more functional Thibs-style team. Elite defense, middle ground offense type. Our defense is going to help us beat up on the bad teams.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/9/2023  11:32 AM

Mitch is a force and deserves cred. Not taking that away. His super early statistic is the O-rebounding that jumps off the page.
Question is: Does Offensive rebounds give cred to a DPOY voting as a statistic?
cooch2584
Member: #1187

11/9/2023  11:37 AM
Our starting four is great we just need that 5th player
DLeethal

11/9/2023  1:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/9/2023  1:52 PM
Nalod wrote:
Mitch is a force and deserves cred. Not taking that away. His super early statistic is the O-rebounding that jumps off the page.

DPOY is usually given to the best anchor on a top 3-5 defensive team. I think rebounding in general holds weight in the discussions, and I think whether it's offensive or defensive rebounding probably doesn't factor much to total rebounds in the minds of the voters.

If Knicks finish top 3-5 on D I think Mitch will be the favorite, assuming his health holds up.

Nalod
USA
11/9/2023  3:11 PM
DLeethal wrote:
Nalod wrote:

DPOY is usually given to the best anchor on a top 3-5 defensive team. I think rebounding in general holds weight in the discussions, and I think whether it's offensive or defensive rebounding probably doesn't factor much to total rebounds in the minds of the voters.

If Knicks finish top 3-5 on D I think Mitch will be the favorite, assuming his health holds up.

I am Guessing Defensive rebounds weighs far more for DPOY consideration. Blocks and steals as well. Tips to create turnovers too.
Offensive rebounds are important, and its great he is doing what he is is doing.
IM also going to guess DPOY is a year to year were its a bit reputational as well as statistical. I'd be happy if he gets votes because it leads to win shares, and happy if he gets accolades. Mitch did not get a single vote last year. He was 33rd in total rebounds. This year he is 3rd after last night. Last year he was 9th in blocked shots, this year 36th. Defensive rebounding he is 29th this year, (randle is 4th, but Mitch blocks out which is considerable!), last year Randle was 6th in total rebounding.
Blocks? Mitch was 9th last year, 36th this.
Steals? Mitch 36th so far this year.

This year maybe Mitch establishes himself and gets noticed. I don' think offensive rebounding weighs as much as other defensive metrics.
Also, DPOY can be any position. Perhaps if team does better this year on defense he might garner some consideration.

nycericanguy

11/9/2023  3:13 PM
Mitch's contract looks like a bargain right now, especially since its descending. Heck RJ looks like a bargain too, Lavine is getting a max and RJ has been much better on both ends this year.

really gotta give this FO alot of credit.

nycericanguy

11/9/2023  3:14 PM
Nalod wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I am Guessing Defensive rebounds weighs far more for DPOY consideration. Blocks and steals as well. Tips to create turnovers too.
Offensive rebounds are important, and its great he is doing what he is is doing.
IM also going to guess DPOY is a year to year were its a bit reputational as well as statistical. I'd be happy if he gets votes because it leads to win shares, and happy if he gets accolades. Mitch did not get a single vote last year. He was 33rd in total rebounds. This year he is 3rd after last night. Last year he was 9th in blocked shots, this year 36th. Defensive rebounding he is 29th this year, (randle is 4th, but Mitch blocks out which is considerable!), last year Randle was 6th in total rebounding.

This year maybe Mitch establishes himself and gets noticed. I don' think offensive rebounding weighs as much as other defensive metrics.
Also, DPOY can be any position. Perhaps if team does better this year on defense he might garner some consideration.

offensive rebounds are MUCH more important than defensive IMO.

an OREB gives you another possession, and they are much harder to get. thats what we thrive on, extra possessions.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/9/2023  5:44 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
11/10/2023  8:09 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
Nalod wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
Nalod wrote:

offensive rebounds are MUCH more important than defensive IMO.

an OREB gives you another possession, and they are much harder to get. thats what we thrive on, extra possessions.

Its a good opinion, not one I am endorsing or not. I am asking if DPOY actually uses that statistic. Defensive rebounds PREVENT offensive rebounds. That Mitch boxes out allowing his mates to get rebounds also is huge. Its been said its why his defensive rebounds are not as high but the team benefits greatly.
At the same time if Knicks draw doubles and still penetrate drawing Mitches man to the ball it opens up the offensive rebound opportunity. This negates some of the negative effects of a misses shot if we get the O-Rebound. Does our staff promote this? Makes our shooting percentage worse but adds in other ways.

At the end of the day, if knicks defensive rating is really high then Mitch will get some consideration.

DLeethal

11/10/2023  8:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2023  8:26 AM
Nalod wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
Nalod wrote:

IDK, I really don't think the counting stats matter. The award always seems to go to a team who leads in DRTG and they find the best narrative - similar to MVP vote. Mitch would have a good narrative like Tyson did if we finish top 3-5 in DRTG like we did when Tyson won. Tyson averaged 11-10 and 1.5 blocks but his individual DRTG was really good and Knicks finished 5th overall in DRTG. It was clear he was a huge difference maker and defensive impact player despite the stats not jumping out at you. He was basically a 1 man defense. Mitch kind of has that rep as the ultimate cleanup guy while having some mediocre-to-bad defenders on the court with him most of the time.

GameThread: Wemby rolls into town, 730 ESPN

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy