Author Thread
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

10/27/2023  1:24 PM
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Chandler wrote:am i the only that thinks this has the earmarks of IQ being positioned as a trade chip?

No you’re not

My understanding is that Knicks not signing IQ allows him to be traded during the season where if they had extended him he couldn’t be moved until the summer - I would agree he’s at least been earmarked as a key piece that could be part of a bigger package in a trade during the season.

His cap numbers with an extension gets really hard to move him. He can be traded, but its hard. Now one can trade IQ and Evan for $22mil combined salary! A bargain.
Naturally Quick and his agent might state their number and perhaps new team would meet it after the season. For all we know Knicks and Quick have a hand shake deal that gives him his ask if he hits certain parameters. I believe Teams get a window before RFA hits? Small one?

Knicks have a good track record paying its players. Again, we don't know what Quick was asking, or knicks were offering.

Can a team trading for IQ extend him or have Knicks extend him prior to trade or no?

If moving him with say Fournier I’m not sure if deal has to be Fournier ($18.8m) and IQ ($4.1m) - $22.9M combined or could he be extended pre-trade (ex 5 for $100m - $20m per) and be moved with Fournier for a combined $38.8m?

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/27/2023  2:24 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Chandler wrote:am i the only that thinks this has the earmarks of IQ being positioned as a trade chip?

No you’re not

My understanding is that Knicks not signing IQ allows him to be traded during the season where if they had extended him he couldn’t be moved until the summer - I would agree he’s at least been earmarked as a key piece that could be part of a bigger package in a trade during the season.

His cap numbers with an extension gets really hard to move him. He can be traded, but its hard. Now one can trade IQ and Evan for $22mil combined salary! A bargain.
Naturally Quick and his agent might state their number and perhaps new team would meet it after the season. For all we know Knicks and Quick have a hand shake deal that gives him his ask if he hits certain parameters. I believe Teams get a window before RFA hits? Small one?

Knicks have a good track record paying its players. Again, we don't know what Quick was asking, or knicks were offering.

Can a team trading for IQ extend him or have Knicks extend him prior to trade or no?

If moving him with say Fournier I’m not sure if deal has to be Fournier ($18.8m) and IQ ($4.1m) - $22.9M combined or could he be extended pre-trade (ex 5 for $100m - $20m per) and be moved with Fournier for a combined $38.8m?

No

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/27/2023  4:10 PM
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

No

Kind of. Our outgoing salary would be $30Mish (assuming IQ signs for about $20M per) but the other team would still need enough cap space to absorb the $40Mish or so in salary. I'm not sure that changes if the Knicks do an escalating or de-escalating salary structure.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
10/27/2023  4:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/27/2023  4:48 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

No

Kind of. Our outgoing salary would be $30Mish (assuming IQ signs for about $20M per) but the other team would still need enough cap space to absorb the $40Mish or so in salary. I'm not sure that changes if the Knicks do an escalating or de-escalating salary structure.

Maybe I’m not understanding something. There was just a deadline of Oct 23 that IQ had to extend. How can they NOW extend IQ?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/27/2023  5:24 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

No

Maybe I’m not understanding something. There was just a deadline of Oct 23 that IQ had to extend. How can they NOW extend IQ?

Sorry, I was talking about a sign and trades at the end of the season. Still not sure what the deadline is for them to decide on Fournier's $19M.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/28/2023  11:55 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:.

Sorry, I was talking about a sign and trades at the end of the season. Still not sure what the deadline is for them to decide on Fournier's $19M.

Knicks can trade Fournier up until the trade deadline. After that teams aren't allowed to trade players on expiring deals.

IQ can't sign a new contract until the opening of free agency. Knicks can then make a qualifying offer. IQ can then either find another team to make a contract offer which the Knicks can match or sign a new contract with the Knicks or accept the one year qualifying offer and be a free agent in 2025.

SNY reports today that IQ was looking at a 25 million extension which kind of sounds reasonable. Most likely the major reason Knicks didn't sign him is because they wanted to have the option to trade him if the right deal becomes available mid season.

martin
USA
10/28/2023  12:04 PM
gradyandrew wrote:

Knicks can trade Fournier up until the trade deadline. After that teams aren't allowed to trade players on expiring deals.

IQ can't sign a new contract until the opening of free agency. Knicks can then make a qualifying offer. IQ can then either find another team to make a contract offer which the Knicks can match or sign a new contract with the Knicks or accept the one year qualifying offer and be a free agent in 2025.

SNY reports today that IQ was looking at a 25 million extension which kind of sounds reasonable. Most likely the major reason Knicks didn't sign him is because they wanted to have the option to trade him if the right deal becomes available mid season.

In addition to all of that, I don’t think you can straight combine a S&T player with another in a trade, but I am not 100% on that.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

10/28/2023  12:07 PM
gradyandrew wrote:

Frontier isnt an expiring contract technically, he has a team option for next season. For all intensive purposes he is an expiring as the team likely won't pick up the option. But what if a deal comes up after the season and Evans contract is needed, I guess they can exercise the option to include him in a dealz am I wrong ?

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/28/2023  6:27 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
gradyandrew wrote:

Frontier isnt an expiring contract technically, he has a team option for next season. For all intensive purposes he is an expiring as the team likely won't pick up the option. But what if a deal comes up after the season and Evans contract is needed, I guess they can exercise the option to include him in a dealz am I wrong ?

Fournier's option is on June 29 and free agency begins July 1. Both sides can agree to extend it, but it's not likely Fournier would at to do so in order to get waived.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

10/29/2023  10:14 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

Time to trade IQ is now. His value is high. Lots of GM’s around the nba like him. I wouldn’t be shocked if we ended up sending him to Philly for Harden

nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

10/29/2023  10:34 AM
Philc1 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

Time to trade IQ is now. His value is high. Lots of GM’s around the nba like him. I wouldn’t be shocked if we ended up sending him to Philly for Harden

you'd trade IQ for 1 or 2 seasons of an out of shape, declining Harden?

I'd hope we value IQ more than that.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/29/2023  12:23 PM
Philc1 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

Good take. I have not spoken to all the GM's in the league like you have.
For harden? how that money work? He makes like 36mm.
And what about Maxey? Philly going to resign both? They play same position.

Nalod
USA
10/29/2023  12:26 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

No you’re not

you'd trade IQ for 1 or 2 seasons of an out of shape, declining Harden?

I'd hope we value IQ more than that.

Money aside, I'd do it.Harden does not put us over the tip, and neither will IQ. Harden out of shape?
I have not seen him practice.

Decline? I suppose so, but thats why he is available, not extended, and could come cheap.
Philly would want picks? Fuck that.
The money? IQ and Even gets you 2/3rds the way there.

martin
USA
11/28/2023  2:53 PM
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/30/2023  12:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2023  12:53 AM
16 mins ago – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype
The New York Knicks have a glut of guards, and rival teams are monitoring whether Immanuel Quickley will become available on the trade market after both sides failed to agree to an extension before the season. Quickley was offered around $18 million per year in extension talks, league sources told HoopsHype. However, Quickley was looking for closer to $25 million annually, league sources said. “I think Quickley might be New York’s best trade asset besides Jalen Brunson,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype.
Trade, Immanuel Quickley, Jalen Brunson, New York Knicks
Hoopshype
~You can't run from who you are.~
Nalod
USA
11/30/2023  8:41 AM
Interesting number presented IQ requested. It would be really cool to see both presentations justifying the numbers as depicted. I understand salaries are going up but he’d be there wtih RJ, which is justifyable, but also brunson which is not, That said, its not the reasons you don’t do it. If potential is a factor, then its a bit more murkey. Quick does many things well but playmaking is still a work in progress. I love IQ, but I also love his role off the bench and finishing as he does when needed. Starting is not what is important here.
Fact is JB will be Free next year as he can opt out of year 4.
LIke most I have no idea where this all goes but as the article alludes he is a major trade asset and its been my long standing view along those lines.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/30/2023  8:58 AM
Nalod wrote:Interesting number presented IQ requested. It would be really cool to see both presentations justifying the numbers as depicted. I understand salaries are going up but he’d be there wtih RJ, which is justifyable, but also brunson which is not, That said, its not the reasons you don’t do it. If potential is a factor, then its a bit more murkey. Quick does many things well but playmaking is still a work in progress. I love IQ, but I also love his role off the bench and finishing as he does when needed. Starting is not what is important here.
Fact is JB will be Free next year as he can opt out of year 4.
LIke most I have no idea where this all goes but as the article alludes he is a major trade asset and its been my long standing view along those lines.

IQ wants starter money. Has shown he can be a 20pt plus starter at PG and SG. IQ wants to be paid like a starter. And IQ likely wants to be a starter somewhere. If a player asks for starter pay, they probably want to start.

If Thibs wont start IQ then I hope we trade IQ for someone who is good enough to start. Trade Grimes and IQ for an all star SG, Not DM, he isnt clutch on his second team, dont know why he would be on his third. Let Deuce audition for backup PG.

SergioNYK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #333
USA
11/30/2023  9:46 AM
As soon as a team signs IQ to a $25M-$30M contract, we match it right away. Simple as that. This kid has earned it. And he's going to continue to get better and better! Do not let an extra $5-$8M a year be the reason you lose this kid.
Nalod
USA
11/30/2023  1:57 PM
He wanted 38% more than what Knicks were offering.
The aggregate of $7mil here and there does matter down the road.
Fans are not accountable for the money and the Cap. Personally I'd pay him.
Perhaps 25mil is where OG will cost. He can walk unrestricted if he opts out.
martin
USA
12/1/2023  1:54 PM
IQ will enter restricted FA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy